Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby carluva » January 8th, 2022, 9:33 am

This is a good example of fabricators not being thorough to ensure metal work is square and plumb or burning welding rods too hot thereby warping the metal.

I think your best bet is the 3M tape. Silicone will be quite difficult and messy to get a good neat seal.
Soul Collector wrote:
carluva wrote:Is the air rushing in between the window frame and the masonry window pocket/opening?

What is the size of the gap you are attempting to seal?

The air is coming mainly from gaps in the window frame itself after taking another look. Once the frame is closed, there are gaps of 1/4" or less vertically (where iron window frame meets main iron housing) and smaller gaps on the underneath/top of the frame.

There's no space between any of the masonry work, just that the frames don't fit very tightly or snug once closed. The curtains are always blowing as if windows are opened when a strong breeze passes, lol

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 8th, 2022, 9:34 am

Fyi. I needed backer rod last year but wife got this in error. Never used it so I can't speak to effectiveness, durability or longevity.

You can look around and try.

If you close to central I can give you to try.
IMG_20220108_093326699.jpg

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » January 8th, 2022, 10:59 am

timelapse wrote:Car trunk rubber by Radica's should be cheap

Thanks.

Will give the rubber a try, seems like the best option for what I need. If for some reason it doesn't work out will try the tape and maybe hit you up carluva when passing through central.

Will skip the silicone as it's a lot of windows and don't want to go through all that mess.

BTW - if I wanted to add a layer of UV protection to help block sunlight/heat from affecting the room, do I just use car tint or is there something for home use I can apply to the windows?

The walls heat up in a ridiculous way in this part of the house, especially around those iron burglar proof frames. I was studying to bolt on some plywood onto the walls that heat up to act as a cheap/quick insulator. I don't care how it looks, once the room is comfortable to be in. Sun hits both walls from 1pm-sunset creating a sauna. Trying to control what I can to decrease the need for AC and also having to push it extra at those times of day.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 8th, 2022, 12:22 pm

Soul Collector wrote:

Thanks.

Will give the rubber a try, seems like the best option for what I need. If for some reason it doesn't work out will try the tape and maybe hit you up carluva when passing through central.

Will skip the silicone as it's a lot of windows and don't want to go through all that mess.

BTW - if I wanted to add a layer of UV protection to help block sunlight/heat from affecting the room, do I just use car tint or is there something for home use I can apply to the windows?

The walls heat up in a ridiculous way in this part of the house, especially around those iron burglar proof frames. I was studying to bolt on some plywood onto the walls that heat up to act as a cheap/quick insulator. I don't care how it looks, once the room is comfortable to be in. Sun hits both walls from 1pm-sunset creating a sauna. Trying to control what I can to decrease the need for AC and also having to push it extra at those times of day.
The good part is that it sells by the yard and has different profiles.My dad built my windows for me, square af, he left a piece of steel welded on it to keep it square while installing.
The mason however, decided that the brace was in his way while putting up the bricks.So much for squareness.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 8th, 2022, 12:36 pm

you need to block the sun from hitting the walls, awning or such.
you can put the clear uv blocking tint on the glass.

btw those windows made with flat bars ?

Soul Collector wrote:

Thanks.

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » January 8th, 2022, 10:58 pm

pugboy wrote:you need to block the sun from hitting the walls, awning or such.
you can put the clear uv blocking tint on the glass.

btw those windows made with flat bars ?

Awnings were my first thought. Like you said, just prevent the sun from making contact with wall/windows in the first place and that's a win.
However, with the angle the sun sets, it hits both the front and side walls of the house and even with 2 awnings, it won't fully block where I need it to. Apart from that, 2 awnings there will look really ugly.

@timelapse - that sounds good, should work out nice. Not the part bout the mason tho, lol

A pic for reference although it's night time. Arrows show where the gaps are. There are larger gaps in the smaller windows above that open vertically too. Major reason for doing this apart from keeping the room cool is the freakin dust + critters.
Window2.jpg

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 8th, 2022, 11:33 pm

I don't have steel windows... UPVC.

Anyhow, from your pic, is it possible to bend the flats that the handle locks onto so that the handle pulls the window tighter when locked, thereby providing a tighter seal?

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » January 8th, 2022, 11:53 pm

carluva wrote:I don't have steel windows... UPVC.

Anyhow, from your pic, is it possible to bend the flats that the handle locks onto so that the handle pulls the window tighter when locked, thereby providing a tighter seal?

I tried manually pulling the windows in to mimic the effect of what you suggested, but there are still significant gaps around the frame. Still a lot of room for air, dust and critters to get in. Once I get the rubber, will let you all know how it worked out.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 8th, 2022, 11:59 pm

Cool. Curious. How is the rubber fastened? Glue, silicone, urethane sealant?

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » January 9th, 2022, 12:17 am

Going to try Liquid Nails. A friend has some extra so will opt for that instead of glue or silicone.

Now googled to make sure exactly what it is, lol - "LIQUID NAILS® Polyurethane Construction Adhesive"

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 9th, 2022, 7:26 am

i now see your problem
just use the acrylic latex caulk that comes in a cartridge, squeeze a bead around 3/8 on the frame side and then put strips of glad wrap over the bead then close the window to squeeze it conform to the gap
when it dries open window and pull off the plastic then trim with a sharp knife

the acrylic can take paint

Soul Collector wrote:Going to try Liquid Nails. A friend has some extra so will opt for that instead of glue or silicone.

Now googled to make sure exactly what it is, lol - "LIQUID NAILS® Polyurethane Construction Adhesive"

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » January 9th, 2022, 10:56 pm

pugboy wrote:i now see your problem
just use the acrylic latex caulk that comes in a cartridge, squeeze a bead around 3/8 on the frame side and then put strips of glad wrap over the bead then close the window to squeeze it conform to the gap

Ya know, this sounding like it worth a try before the rubber - at least for the large windows like what in the pic. The small ones on top could all take a thick piece of rubber same size, as the gaps way bigger than what shown in the pic.

But with the larger windows, the gap gets bigger in the upper half of the frame only, so the rubber might have had to mix and match sizes for a snug fit. Will give the caulk a go so it can just conform in one shot as you said. Much appreciated 8-)

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 10th, 2022, 5:06 am

that is what acrylic made for, if you read the labels, esp as they make it to take paint compared to silicone rubber.
it also washes off with water and easy to cut after.
if you dont get big enough seal just put more after first set dry.

Soul Collector wrote:

Ya know, this sounding like it worth a try before the rubber - at least for the large windows like what in the pic. The small ones on top could all take a thick piece of rubber same size, as the gaps way bigger than what shown in the pic.

But with the larger windows, the gap gets bigger in the upper half of the frame only, so the rubber might have had to mix and match sizes for a snug fit. Will give the caulk a go so it can just conform in one shot as you said. Much appreciated 8-)

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » January 10th, 2022, 6:45 am

Any recommendations for an installer for an over range microwave ? Not in the mood for pulling out the drill and a dust bath again this week.

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » January 10th, 2022, 9:52 am

pugboy wrote:that is what acrylic made for, if you read the labels, esp as they make it to take paint compared to silicone rubber.
it also washes off with water and easy to cut after.
if you dont get big enough seal just put more after first set dry.

Good to know :!: :D

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 10th, 2022, 10:04 am

carluva wrote:Cool. Curious. How is the rubber fastened? Glue, silicone, urethane sealant?
Car trunk rubber has grooves that fit the window frame

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » January 12th, 2022, 9:41 am

Anyone know where sells replacements like these... cant find it on amazon or ebay.
The moen products we get in Trinidad is Latin America stock so parts different from USA stock.
20220112_065412.jpg
20220112_065400.jpg
20220112_065343.jpg
20220112_065618.jpg

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » January 12th, 2022, 10:30 am

bhagwansinghs trincity for sure has a large selection of those, carry the old one

never really seen them at bhagwansingh chaguanas

you could call enfix as well in cunupia to find out

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » January 12th, 2022, 10:49 am

Phone Surgeon wrote:bhagwansinghs trincity for sure has a large selection of those, carry the old one

never really seen them at bhagwansingh chaguanas

you could call enfix as well in cunupia to find out
Thanks will check. Its a new shower mixer i bought. Before i install just wanted to see if replacements available. Once i get would buy a couple and keep.

originalbling
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby originalbling » January 12th, 2022, 12:05 pm

Soul Collector wrote:

Saw this at Allied last month.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Outdoor-Windo ... 112&sr=8-2

Bhagwansingh's Trincity store usually carries these, both foam strips and the rubber ones. They were doing a lot of restocking last week , so check them too.

Rayden6
Sweet on this forum

Postby Rayden6 » January 13th, 2022, 9:48 am

when building a wall, the wall has to be on the inside of the boundary markers on the owners side correct?
ASKING FOR A FRIEND

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 13th, 2022, 10:19 am

Rayden6 wrote:when building a wall, the wall has to be on the inside of the boundary markers on the owners side correct?
ASKING FOR A FRIEND
Correct

Rayden6
Sweet on this forum

Postby Rayden6 » January 13th, 2022, 2:32 pm

but it have some ASS does build it dead centre and and boundary markers can't be found. This gets me like the builder do and blaming him.
Last edited by Rayden6 on January 13th, 2022, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan197912
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Ryan197912 » January 13th, 2022, 3:14 pm

Rayden6 wrote:but it have some ASS does build it dead centre and wanna say its them wall, when it build on the opposite side just because the build it. WHAT would you do

Fight, curse, pull cutlass for 2 inches of land :lol:

Joshie23
Riding on 16's

Postby Joshie23 » January 13th, 2022, 4:33 pm

Ryan197912 wrote:
Rayden6 wrote:but it have some ASS does build it dead centre and wanna say its them wall, when it build on the opposite side just because the build it. WHAT would you do

2" of land on the 100' length of a standard, 5,000 ft² lot of land is around 17 ft². In places where land is $250 psf, that's $4,250...worth it?

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » January 13th, 2022, 4:54 pm

Joshie23 wrote:
Ryan197912 wrote:

2" of land on the 100' length of a standard, 5,000 ft² lot of land is around 17 ft². In places where land is $250 psf, that's $4,250...worth it?

Nope.

Ryan197912
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Ryan197912 » January 13th, 2022, 4:57 pm

Joshie23 wrote:
Ryan197912 wrote:

Or hire an attorney like myself....for around 2500 I would send a Pre-Action Protocol letter to the offender.
And if not settled initate legal action at a cost to you of 20k,(to start) you will also be required to pay a surveyor about 6k to determine if any or the amount of encroachment that occurred.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » January 13th, 2022, 5:00 pm

Ryan197912 wrote:
Joshie23 wrote:
Ryan197912 wrote:

Or hire an attorney like myself....for around 2500 I would send a Pre-Action Protocol letter to the offender.
And if not settled initate legal action at a cost to you of 20k,(to start) you will also be required to pay a surveyor about 6k to determine if any or the amount of encroachment that occurred.

My walls are all within the surveyor marked boundaries, and I even gave up some additional space to build a drain outside of the property because, well government. :roll:

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » January 13th, 2022, 5:05 pm

Its never 2 inches though
Probably 2 feet or 5 feet or 10 feet x 100 feet

When my father die 2 years ago we had a neighbor start to claim land. He done had his existing fence built on his land eh. He start to claim 2 feet outside the land....then 6 feet...then 15 feet...then he decide a whole 100 feet by 40 feet outside of his fence was his.

The 2 feet outside his land we had kinda agreed with because he built his fence inside his boundary so he could walk around outside and clean the grass/fence

But from the time we agree with that he stretch to 40 feet.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 13th, 2022, 5:21 pm

you should send them a letter of sorts to document the fact that they encroaching even if you are letting them get away with a few inches or feet otherwise they will do as he say and end up trying to take 40ft

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”