Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby Musical Doc » December 9th, 2021, 9:40 am

adnj wrote:
Musical Doc wrote:
adnj wrote:
Musical Doc wrote:How long should I wait to rub down and paint a wall after it is plastered?
You will likely hear many answers but the concrete should be fully cured before painting.

About 30 days.

The person who plastered it told me to wait a week but I wanted to start sooner lol. I guess I should at least give it a couple weeks then

The only risk is that if the concrete is uncured, the paint will not adhere as well. Plaster on an existing all may cure more quickly.

Search for "testing concrete moisture." It's a simple procedure if you want to be certain.

Ok thanks. Is it ok to rub down the wall like this weekend or next week and wait a bit to paint it?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » December 9th, 2021, 11:05 am

Musical Doc wrote:
adnj wrote:
Musical Doc wrote:
adnj wrote:
Musical Doc wrote:How long should I wait to rub down and paint a wall after it is plastered?
You will likely hear many answers but the concrete should be fully cured before painting.

About 30 days.

The person who plastered it told me to wait a week but I wanted to start sooner lol. I guess I should at least give it a couple weeks then

The only risk is that if the concrete is uncured, the paint will not adhere as well. Plaster on an existing all may cure more quickly.

Search for "testing concrete moisture." It's a simple procedure if you want to be certain.

Ok thanks. Is it ok to rub down the wall like this weekend or next week and wait a bit to paint it?

You could probably do it and not notice a problem for years. If you do, latex primer and paint are more forgiving. It's your call.

zorced
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zorced » December 9th, 2021, 11:26 am

carluva wrote:Have you tried Benjamin Moore paints?

Nope, but I think I'll have to now. Overdue a visit to Building source. Thanks.
Still willing to consider other brands as well. I sawT&Z have something special of their own on my last visit.

Musical Doc wrote:
adnj wrote:

About 30 days.

Doc, is this interior or exterior wall? Maybe ventilation and airflow (lasko) can speed this up? I personally would take chances on smaller pieces and patchwork (holes etc. when I have extra paint leftover), but a fresh full wall might be an excess of double work and materials later on.

Sometime I read about a foil test, I think it's just to tape down a piece and see if it condensates after a day. You have to wait more than that anyway, so worth a try.
Last edited by zorced on December 9th, 2021, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » December 9th, 2021, 11:36 am

zorced wrote:

Still willing to consider other brands as well. I sawT&Z have something special of their own on my last visit.

Musical Doc wrote:
adnj wrote:

About 30 days.

Doc, is this interior or exterior wall? Maybe ventilation and airflow (lasko) can speed this up? I personally would take chances on smaller pieces and patchwork, but a fresh full wall might be an excess of double work and materials later on.

Sometime I read about a foil test, I think it's just to tape down a piece and see if it condensates after a day. You have to wait more than that anyway, so worth a try.

It's all exterior walls, just blocked around the garage area so its totally outdoors. I just want to get it done before christmas and I just want an idea of when to do it so I can schedule my time accordingly

zorced
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zorced » December 9th, 2021, 11:40 am

Ok, look into the moisture tests adnj mentioned and let us know how it works out. Would be interesting to see the results.

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » December 9th, 2021, 2:24 pm

zorced wrote:Ok, look into the moisture tests adnj mentioned and let us know how it works out. Would be interesting to see the results.

Yup I'll try it saturday and see

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » December 9th, 2021, 2:29 pm

i have seen many exterior walls painted with latex paints which bubble up from moisture
not sure why but something to think about

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » December 13th, 2021, 1:54 pm

Cement prices to increase from Dec 20th 2021

267706106_116240770897241_4904229564972324242_n.jpg

daring dragoon
12 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » December 13th, 2021, 2:31 pm

it good/ double the price of cement. make everything unaffordable in trinidad. i will apply to canada for asylum as a refugee. vote them out of Trinidad as they did in tobago. everything hardware double in price. a foot of regular galvanize was $11 in 2020 an is now $30 a foot and nobody cares. higt building price and high property tax so it is back to mud house and eating provision and wabeen. guyana building with iron and steel and foreign exchange in full swing and foreign goods everywhere and TT going backwards under the race of our leaders. put the same race as who is leading guyana into prosperity and we will also prosper.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » December 13th, 2021, 4:21 pm

Musical Doc wrote:
zorced wrote:

Musical Doc wrote:
adnj wrote:

About 30 days.

Doc, is this interior or exterior wall? Maybe ventilation and airflow (lasko) can speed this up? I personally would take chances on smaller pieces and patchwork, but a fresh full wall might be an excess of double work and materials later on.

It's all exterior walls, just blocked around the garage area so its totally outdoors. I just want to get it done before christmas and I just want an idea of when to do it so I can schedule my time accordingly
I find Sisson's weatherguard works just fine.My gallery paint holding up after 5 years

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » December 13th, 2021, 4:24 pm

as zoom say
take bull

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » December 13th, 2021, 4:25 pm

Blocks going up 2. No more free transport for 2 pallets and over either it looks like.
FB_IMG_1639427076955.jpg

daring dragoon
12 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » December 13th, 2021, 5:22 pm

an they aint riot yet.....

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » December 13th, 2021, 6:18 pm

timelapse wrote:
Musical Doc wrote:
zorced wrote:

Musical Doc wrote:
adnj wrote:

About 30 days.

I find Sisson's weatherguard works just fine.My gallery paint holding up after 5 years

Wasn’t the advantage of these other premium paints compared to Sissons weather guard . Is it preparation of the surface is usually done better when people think they putting up a more expensive paint ?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » December 13th, 2021, 6:34 pm

Kenjo wrote:
timelapse wrote:
Musical Doc wrote:
zorced wrote:

Musical Doc wrote:
adnj wrote:

About 30 days.

Wasn’t the advantage of these other premium paints compared to Sissons weather guard . Is it preparation of the surface is usually done better when people think they putting up a more expensive paint ?
I feel is just a brand ranks thing.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » December 13th, 2021, 8:27 pm

It is good to hear positive feedback on local paints.

For me, it's not a brand thing... Rather the choice to use Sherwin Williams is based on performance, coverage and weather resistance.

Originally our house was painted with the best Berger paint line, Weatherproof Ultra iirc, in 2010.

Within 5 years paint was fading, and leaving the white residue on hand. The paint was not thinned.

I switched to SW harmony line paint in 2016. And to this day, the house still is bright and easy to clean. The slight satin gloss has reduced but the colour and depth of paint has been retained. The paint is easy to clean and a simple wash with hose usually does the trick. The SW paint covers a large surface area, so while more costly, it worked out only slightly more expensive as a smaller quantity was needed for the job. (PTN if you buy SW paint on a 40% sale, you come out real good on price vs value.)

This was never the case with the Berger.

I have seen a few places where the paint has bubbled, but this also took place with the Berger, so it's not a paint issue but more a moisture issue causing the paint to bubble. This is expected as those areas are near to areas that are mostly moist.

Out neighbour painted his house in 2017 using Berger and his paint is beaten, worn and faded. And this is on the Western side which I see every day. His Eastern side is just as bad.

Interior I will be inclined to use local paints. Exterior - unlikely.

Personally, I think given who owns all the local paint companies, I will not be surprised that corners are cut on paint quality to ensure that paint is always purchased for touchups and refreshes. In other words, create a demand by making a slightly under quality product.

The rate this SW paint is performing, ten years is easy to get before even thinking about another paint job.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » December 13th, 2021, 9:42 pm

the sherwin williams paint really last much longer and look much nicer

wait for their 40% sale for big painting projects though

otherwise it expensive like firetruck

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » December 13th, 2021, 10:23 pm

On the 40% sale Superpaint which is 1 level up from the bottom of the Sherwin Williams barrel was $293 a gallon which puts actual retail price at close to $500, so just think about the higher lines. In 2019 this was under $200 on their 30% sale.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » December 13th, 2021, 11:00 pm

Right now I have some exterior walls to prime and Sherwin Williams is out of stock on concrete primer until maybe next year.Any alternative concrete primer allyuh recommend to use?I'm thinking Benjamin Moore.

Also,is there any method to remove(unsweat) pvc fittings from pvc pipe?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » December 14th, 2021, 7:44 am

Despite using their paint, I have never used the SW primer.

Rather, I have used the Trinity Paints primer with good success. This primer has great body, large coverage and is very thick.

Usually, two coats of primer followed by two top coats are sufficient for a new wall.

The cost is also very competitive when compared to others.
supercharged turbo wrote:Right now I have some exterior walls to prime and Sherwin Williams is out of stock on concrete primer until maybe next year.Any alternative concrete primer allyuh recommend to use?I'm thinking Benjamin Moore.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » December 14th, 2021, 7:51 am

Unfortunately, there is no way to do what you're asking on PVC pipe.

You will have to cut and rejoin using the PVC cement.

However, I have a few sprinklers on PVC risers in the flower bed which broke recently. The break occurred on the TEE about 4" underground. The workman took some PVC glue and applied to the broken piece of pipe that remained in the TEE, ignited it to soften the broken piece and then removed with a bird beak pliers. We then fit back in the riser.

This method worked well for that type of break. Wouldn't recommend that on a line to your house but given that this was a sprinkler that's on a few minutes per week, we took the chance to repair as stated.

Any heat applied to PVC will damage it and weaken it and increase probability of leaks in the future.

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » December 14th, 2021, 8:23 am

Musical Doc wrote:
zorced wrote:Ok, look into the moisture tests adnj mentioned and let us know how it works out. Would be interesting to see the results.

Yup I'll try it saturday and see

Update, I didn't even bother to do any moisture test yet because since saturday has been rain everyday and the walls soaking in that water. Will have to wait till i get a few days of sun to do anything

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » December 14th, 2021, 10:31 am

carluva wrote:Unfortunately, there is no way to do what you're asking on PVC pipe.

You will have to cut and rejoin using the PVC cement.

However, I have a few sprinklers on PVC risers in the flower bed which broke recently. The break occurred on the TEE about 4" underground. The workman took some PVC glue and applied to the broken piece of pipe that remained in the TEE, ignited it to soften the broken piece and then removed with a bird beak pliers. We then fit back in the riser.

This method worked well for that type of break. Wouldn't recommend that on a line to your house but given that this was a sprinkler that's on a few minutes per week, we took the chance to repair as stated.

Any heat applied to PVC will damage it and weaken it and increase probability of leaks in the future.

hes right
pvc glue isnt really glue, it melts and bonds the pvc together

so you will get problems trying to heat and separate if any type of high pressure has to go through it

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » December 14th, 2021, 9:49 pm

carluva wrote:Despite using their paint, I have never used the SW primer.

Rather, I have used the Trinity Paints primer with good success. This primer has great body, large coverage and is very thick.

Usually, two coats of primer followed by two top coats are sufficient for a new wall.

The cost is also very competitive when compared to others.
supercharged turbo wrote:Right now I have some exterior walls to prime and Sherwin Williams is out of stock on concrete primer until maybe next year.Any alternative concrete primer allyuh recommend to use?I'm thinking Benjamin Moore.

I used SW metal primer recently and it's really really thin, even after mixing with a drill attachment. Now I have a very large surface to second coat :?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » December 15th, 2021, 11:04 am

hear na

allyuh must join this group and take in the antics

https://www.facebook.com/groups/202165237740335

its a great insight of what goes on in the construction industry locally and showing the kind of mistakes that builders/roofmen/plumbers/tilemen make

and its the fellas themselves putting up videos and pics to show off their work eh and then dozens of other people showing them their mistakes

often degrades into threats/cussing/ yuh mother this yuh mother that

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » December 17th, 2021, 9:59 am

Anyone built their own bathroom enclosure? Where did you get the frames and acrylic or glass? Thanks.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » December 17th, 2021, 5:35 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:hear na

allyuh must join this group and take in the antics

https://www.facebook.com/groups/202165237740335

its a great insight of what goes on in the construction industry locally and showing the kind of mistakes that builders/roofmen/plumbers/tilemen make

and its the fellas themselves putting up videos and pics to show off their work eh and then dozens of other people showing them their mistakes

often degrades into threats/cussing/ yuh mother this yuh mother that
Everyday is some bachannal in that group

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » December 17th, 2021, 8:14 pm

SNIPER 3000 wrote:Anyone built their own bathroom enclosure? Where did you get the frames and acrylic or glass? Thanks.
Couva Glass or Central Glass.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » December 17th, 2021, 10:52 pm

Thanks for your reply.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » December 18th, 2021, 7:45 am

If you need somebody to do it for you, send me a pm.I know a guy

Advertisement