Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby Kenjo » September 6th, 2021, 4:09 pm

carluva wrote:You will need a sealant that is best suited for roofing and can stand up to the weather.

You should also look for a high build sealant as typically, the normal silicone can only do a max of 1/4" bead thickness. Anything larger and the Brad would sag and pull away from the gap being sealed.

Geocel 2300 (purple tube) is a very good sealant used by many roof persons. There is also Enduro but iirc, this is in a can or pail so needs to be applied with a small trowel.

Then there is also a strip of good old flashband. But this will not have the aesthetic appeal depending on the location of the roof.

supercharged turbo wrote:I'm getting some water seepage between the flashing and wall.We used sikaflex previously to fill the gap and it worked for awhile but it seems the sikaflex is becoming loose allowing water to seep in.I'm thinking to use either some flex seal or the Lake Asphalt Sealant in the quart.Any suggestions?

Any flash band type options that are spray foam types and where to get them , unfortunately where I am looking at is old galvanize and cannot access on top the roof ?

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » September 8th, 2021, 9:24 am

On the question of kitchens... anyone locally selling or building butcher block countertops?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » September 8th, 2021, 1:55 pm

Got good leads on designers who I am confident about and are in discussions with. Plenty flybynight "architects" advertising on social media.

I'm doing some homework for contractors (foundation to finish) so by the time we finalize the plans, the action can start.

Any recommendations? Will be going thru bank, so everything hadda be kosher.

zorced
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zorced » September 9th, 2021, 1:32 pm

Yo guys. Looking for a place that might have this finish or similar for kitchen cabinets. Only checked Carpenter's Edge so far but no luck. Thanks!
1400953130359.jpeg

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » September 9th, 2021, 3:41 pm

Anyone wants free Red sand, already bagged out in feed bags. Approx 1/2 yard worth. Just come with transport and take. Tunapuna area.

PM for details

Did a small job recently and usual over estimation of material.
IMG_20210909_153515.jpg
IMG_20210909_153520.jpg

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » September 9th, 2021, 6:56 pm

zorced wrote:Yo guys. Looking for a place that might have this finish or similar for kitchen cabinets. Only checked Carpenter's Edge so far but no luck. Thanks!1400953130359.jpeg

Try Kelvin Ghany for melamine coated MDF. They may have a similar finish.

zorced
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zorced » September 9th, 2021, 7:25 pm

NR8 wrote:
zorced wrote:Yo guys. Looking for a place that might have this finish or similar for kitchen cabinets. Only checked Carpenter's Edge so far but no luck. Thanks!1400953130359.jpeg

Try Kelvin Ghany for melamine coated MDF. They may have a similar finish.

Good looking out, I'm really overdue to stop by that place and see what they have now.
Already bought the mdf so was looking for the laminate, but from what I just saw on their page I think I might have to use it elsewhere and consider their melamine faced teak as well. Thanks for the headsup!

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » September 9th, 2021, 7:33 pm

Carpenters edge is expensive. Tile warehouse also has other options and a wide variety. Maharaj also has and they also have pieces they will sell.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » September 9th, 2021, 7:43 pm

X2 on Carpenter's Edge generally. I bought their 6x8 melamine sheets to build a kitchen though. Given the size, the cost was comparable to 4x8 sheets elsewhere and I got a more modern colour vs. the regular teak finish. Will throw up some pics later

zorced
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zorced » September 10th, 2021, 10:42 am

Hmm so far I haven't found another supplier for the laminate sheets (without board). CE getting more stock mid Oct, don't think I can wait till then.

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » September 10th, 2021, 6:46 pm

Anyone here ever used the Jotun metal primer? I have a pedestrian gate that was recently built with zinc coated rhs.

I'm only familiar with the regular etching primer for the paint to hold. I was told the Jotun primer is better to use for this application. What are your thoughts? What's the process to treat and then paint this metal gate?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » September 10th, 2021, 8:20 pm

I am not sure what metal primer you are referring to but last year, I redid my fence sections (9 total) and gate. Previously, there was etching primer and then many layers of paint/red oxide after being installed 10+ years and repainting several times.

I ended up stripping all paint (water and tool) down to metal. I applied a Jotun two part system of Jotamastic epoxy base coat and Hardtop two part top coat.

To my knowledge, that system is not what is typically sold at Idrees, QPSL, etc.

The system I used has alot of body and is thick. Everything was cleaned two weeks ago with water, soap and bleach and looks fantastic.

I will suggest you use what is pictured to seal all voids in the iron work prior to painting especially if decorative knobs are welded on. That will prevent moisture ingress through the voids and further prevent rusting from the inside.

I'll take some photos of my iron work tomorrow in daylight and send so you can get an idea of the finish.
Jerry84 wrote:Anyone here ever used the Jotun metal primer? I have a pedestrian gate that was recently built with zinc coated rhs.

I'm only familiar with the regular etching primer for the paint to hold. I was told the Jotun primer is better to use for this application. What are your thoughts? What's the process to treat and then paint this metal gate?
JPEG_20210910_202102_7118516644051767335.jpg
JPEG_20210910_202049_7922820682628913967.jpg
JPEG_20210910_202006_8882794708327570940.jpg
Last edited by carluva on September 10th, 2021, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » September 10th, 2021, 8:52 pm

Jerry84 wrote:Anyone here ever used the Jotun metal primer? I have a pedestrian gate that was recently built with zinc coated rhs.

Some additional information. Through my personal experiences, observations, research and consultation, the use of etching primer on iron work is mostly improperly used here.

The problem with galvanised metal is that the surface is (1) too slick and (2) contains residue oils, both of which prevent proper adhesion of any base coat. Etching primer is acidic and can etch some thin ferrous materials sufficiently to promote adhesion through "grip". Etching primer on galvanized RHS (as an example) is not sufficiently strong to etch the material to give a surface which promotes the adhesion of the base coat. The etching primer does however contain chemicals which are sufficient to remove the residues left over from galvanising. But epoxy primers cannot adhere well to a surface etched by etching primer.

IMO you have some routes for maximum adhesion of coatings on your zinc coated RHS.

1) Etching Primer followed by a light tooling of the surface using a wire cup brush on an angle grinder. or even some rough sandpaper. This will be enough to remove the residues and then create a "profile" on the metal for adhesion of the base coat. The base coat should be urethane based not the red oxide or grey oxide. These are not suitable for galvanized material (check the paint data sheets yourself and you will see same). Once the base coat is on, apply our urethane top coat. The problem is that most fabricators or painters will tell you to use the etching primer, then the red oxide and then the top coat. This does not work and always results in your paint flaking off. Red oxide is suitable for raw steel such as I-Beams not galvanised steel. I have not done much research on suitable urethane base coats as I went the route of epoxy as previously mentioned.

2) Solvent clean using mineral spirits such as acetone. These leave no residue and strip the surface of oils. Then apply an epoxy base coat followed by suitable top coat.

3) Same as #2 but you can lightly tool as described in #1 prior to base coat.

Do not, I repeat do not use etching primer alone (without tooling) or use etching primer with a red oxide or grey oxide. Your paint will flake off sooner rather than later. I have observed this with mines and for this reason opted to use the epoxy system after removing all existing coatings.

PS it sounds like alot of work and money but the initial work and cost is far less than the maintenance and cost over the life of your gate. If I knew what I knew now, I would have done this when the fence and gates were built.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » September 10th, 2021, 9:30 pm

Theres also adhesion primer.I got real hell to paint a guitar pedal I was making.The adhesion primer worked really good.Surface was wiped with gasoline before priming and allowed to dry.Paint held up so far, and I does abuse the damn thing so much

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » September 10th, 2021, 11:21 pm

Send a name of the product or post a pic.
timelapse wrote:Theres also adhesion primer.I got real hell to paint a guitar pedal I was making.The adhesion primer worked really good.Surface was wiped with gasoline before priming and allowed to dry.Paint held up so far, and I does abuse the damn thing so much

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » September 12th, 2021, 5:52 pm

carluva wrote:I am not sure what metal primer you are referring to but last year, I redid my fence sections (9 total) and gate. Previously, there was etching primer and then many layers of paint/red oxide after being installed 10+ years and repainting several times.

I ended up stripping all paint (water and tool) down to metal. I applied a Jotun two part system of Jotamastic epoxy base coat and Hardtop two part top coat.

To my knowledge, that system is not what is typically sold at Idrees, QPSL, etc.

The system I used has alot of body and is thick. Everything was cleaned two weeks ago with water, soap and bleach and looks fantastic.

I will suggest you use what is pictured to seal all voids in the iron work prior to painting especially if decorative knobs are welded on. That will prevent moisture ingress through the voids and further prevent rusting from the inside.

I'll take some photos of my iron work tomorrow in daylight and send so you can get an idea of the finish.

JPEG_20210910_202006_8882794708327570940.jpg
JPEG_20210910_202049_7922820682628913967.jpg
JPEG_20210910_202102_7118516644051767335.jpg
This Glazing putty was used for the joints/welds to give a smooth finish and to fill any voids that may exist.
Thanks for the advice

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » September 12th, 2021, 5:54 pm

carluva wrote:

Some additional information. Through my personal experiences, observations, research and consultation, the use of etching primer on iron work is mostly improperly used here.

The problem with galvanised metal is that the surface is (1) too slick and (2) contains residue oils, both of which prevent proper adhesion of any base coat. Etching primer is acidic and can etch some thin ferrous materials sufficiently to promote adhesion through "grip". Etching primer on galvanized RHS (as an example) is not sufficiently strong to etch the material to give a surface which promotes the adhesion of the base coat. The etching primer does however contain chemicals which are sufficient to remove the residues left over from galvanising. But epoxy primers cannot adhere well to a surface etched by etching primer.

IMO you have some routes for maximum adhesion of coatings on your zinc coated RHS.

1) Etching Primer followed by a light tooling of the surface using a wire cup brush on an angle grinder. or even some rough sandpaper. This will be enough to remove the residues and then create a "profile" on the metal for adhesion of the base coat. The base coat should be urethane based not the red oxide or grey oxide. These are not suitable for galvanized material (check the paint data sheets yourself and you will see same). Once the base coat is on, apply our urethane top coat. The problem is that most fabricators or painters will tell you to use the etching primer, then the red oxide and then the top coat. This does not work and always results in your paint flaking off. Red oxide is suitable for raw steel such as I-Beams not galvanised steel. I have not done much research on suitable urethane base coats as I went the route of epoxy as previously mentioned.

2) Solvent clean using mineral spirits such as acetone. These leave no residue and strip the surface of oils. Then apply an epoxy base coat followed by suitable top coat.

3) Same as #2 but you can lightly tool as described in #1 prior to base coat.

Do not, I repeat do not use etching primer alone (without tooling) or use etching primer with a red oxide or grey oxide. Your paint will flake off sooner rather than later. I have observed this with mines and for this reason opted to use the epoxy system after removing all existing coatings.

PS it sounds like alot of work and money but the initial work and cost is far less than the maintenance and cost over the life of your gate. If I knew what I knew now, I would have done this when the fence and gates were built.
Can you suggest a base coat to use?
Also what polyurethane coating do you suggest? What's important to me is longevity and I prefer to spend a little extra in order to preserve this investment.
Much thanks for your suggestions.

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » September 12th, 2021, 5:56 pm

Also share the epoxy base coat you referring too please

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » September 12th, 2021, 6:59 pm

My apologies, Bonding Primer
paint_template-1.jpg
paint_template-1.jpg (10.87 KiB) Viewed 2895 times

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » September 13th, 2021, 1:08 pm

Jerry84 wrote:Can you suggest a base coat to use?

I used Jotun Jotamastic two part Epoxy Base coat followed by Jotun Hardtop top coat. I suggest solvent cleaning the metal work, etching the surface using power tool or sandpaper, solvent clean again and then apply the base coat.

Jerry84 wrote:Also what polyurethane coating do you suggest?

carluva wrote:

tropi_flakes
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby tropi_flakes » September 13th, 2021, 11:38 pm

Throwing this out here because most of yall seem level-headed. I'm currently intrested in a prime parcel of land in the east, the person that "owns" it however is not in possession of a deed. The house/land was willed to his mother by his father ' both decased' and that's as far as it goes for paperwork. He is however the last living child of his parents and for the past 15+ years that I've known him no one has ever come to "claim" the property even tho it's vacant for said amount of time. Long story short, should I just leave that as is or is there a road I could take to assist him in getting it into his name first if it's even possible before I try to aquire it from him. I really don't want to miss this opportunity but I also don't want to be back and forth for years to come before I get something solid in had when it comes to ownership.

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » September 14th, 2021, 1:46 am

He cannot sell something he doesnt own. He has to sort out his sort outs before he tries to sell anything.

A will is not a deed of assent. Go ask a lawyer.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » September 14th, 2021, 2:22 am

tropi_flakes wrote:Throwing this out here because most of yall seem level-headed. I'm currently intrested in a prime parcel of land in the east, the person that "owns" it however is not in possession of a deed. The house/land was willed to his mother by his father ' both decased' and that's as far as it goes for paperwork. He is however the last living child of his parents and for the past 15+ years that I've known him no one has ever come to "claim" the property even tho it's vacant for said amount of time. Long story short, should I just leave that as is or is there a road I could take to assist him in getting it into his name first if it's even possible before I try to aquire it from him. I really don't want to miss this opportunity but I also don't want to be back and forth for years to come before I get something solid in had when it comes to ownership.

Speaking from experience, it is possible but it would be long.

Since a will is involved, the person has to apply for his mother's estate. Once he get's the grant of probate as the Legal Personal Representative of his mom, he can then apply for his Father's estate. Once he gets the grant of probate as LPR of his father's estate, he can transfer the property from his father to himself via his mom.

This next option is tricky but conditions apply. If his father's will mentions his mother ONLY as the beneficiary, you don't have to use the will. The person just apply for Letters of Administration of his father's estate directly where in the application, it is mentioned that the mother and other children are deceased thus proving the person is in fact the next of kin and beneficiary of his father's estate. Once it is granted and he becomes LPR, he can transfer the property directly to himself.

Once the property is in his name, then both of you can deal. Don't put too much hope because he can switch on you and sell to someone else. You can advise and recommend him an attorney but at the end of the day, he have to sort out his business.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » September 14th, 2021, 7:28 am

The_Honourable wrote:
tropi_flakes wrote:Throwing this out here because most of yall seem level-headed. I'm currently intrested in a prime parcel of land in the east, the person that "owns" it however is not in possession of a deed. The house/land was willed to his mother by his father ' both decased' and that's as far as it goes for paperwork. He is however the last living child of his parents and for the past 15+ years that I've known him no one has ever come to "claim" the property even tho it's vacant for said amount of time. Long story short, should I just leave that as is or is there a road I could take to assist him in getting it into his name first if it's even possible before I try to aquire it from him. I really don't want to miss this opportunity but I also don't want to be back and forth for years to come before I get something solid in had when it comes to ownership.

Since a will is involved, the person has to apply for his mother's estate. Once he get's the grant of probate as the Legal Personal Representative of his mom, he can then apply for his Father's estate. Once he gets the grant of probate as LPR of his father's estate, he can transfer the property from his father to himself via his mom.

This next option is tricky but conditions apply. If his father's will mentions his mother ONLY as the beneficiary, you don't have to use the will. The person just apply for Letters of Administration of his father's estate directly where in the application, it is mentioned that the mother and other children are deceased thus proving the person is in fact the next of kin and beneficiary of his father's estate. Once it is granted and he becomes LPR, he can transfer the property directly to himself.

Once the property is in his name, then both of you can deal. Don't put too much hope because he can switch on you and sell to someone else. You can advise and recommend him an attorney but at the end of the day, he have to sort out his business.
Great info here

tropi_flakes
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby tropi_flakes » September 14th, 2021, 8:29 am

The_Honourable wrote:

Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to know. He is also of age and wants to get the process rolling as he has no chick, child or parrot on a stick. When he dies that's it for the bloodline and the property. So I will try my best to assist him with the process because I know his finances will not allow him to do it on his on. Will update as time progresses.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » September 14th, 2021, 10:15 am

You should ensure you have an attorney advising you on this matter.

The seller should stand all costs. If you are helping with costs, you should have an agreement in place which indemnifies you. Else, you run the risk of sinking money into a "hope" and he can then sell to someone else for a better price or keep the property.
tropi_flakes wrote:
The_Honourable wrote:

Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to know. He is also of age and wants to get the process rolling as he has no chick, child or parrot on a stick. When he dies that's it for the bloodline and the property. So I will try my best to assist him with the process because I know his finances will not allow him to do it on his on. Will update as time progresses.

tropi_flakes
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby tropi_flakes » September 14th, 2021, 12:07 pm

carluva wrote:You should ensure you have an attorney advising you on this matter.

The seller should stand all costs. If you are helping with costs, you should have an agreement in place which indemnifies you. Else, you run the risk of sinking money into a "hope" and he can then sell to someone else for a better price or keep the property.
tropi_flakes wrote:
The_Honourable wrote:

Understandable, that's the plan. Just wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience with something like this on here and from the feedback I got even to who inboxed me I must say it gave me hope.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » September 21st, 2021, 9:19 am

Technical Seminar ALERT!!!!

Come meet the Drainage Division, hear directly from them on several topics and ask the questions you need to ask.

Key items will be as follows:

1. Drainage Division and its Core Functions.
2. Process in obtaining drainage design approval.
3. General Requirements / Guidelines for application for drainage design approvals.
4. The role of Town & Country Planning Division (T&CPD).
5. Role of other key agencies/ stakeholders.
6. Challenges with applications.
7. Advice to developers and applicants.
8. Case Study of a development in Central Trinidad.
9. Pilot Project using green solution.

Key Documents to preview:

- Town & Country Planning Act Chapter 35:01
- mGuide to Developers and Applicants (TCPD)
- Municipal Corporations Act 25:04
- Wednesday 22nd September 2021 from 5pm to 7pm.

Register for the link here:
https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/registe ... GnyXIw4dlf

This will be instructive to practitioners and the public, we look forward to seeing you there.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/APETT4/posts/4539585049425973

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » September 21st, 2021, 11:35 pm

What's the labour cost to make shaker style doors from scratch these days

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » October 1st, 2021, 10:41 pm

Anyone familiar with Robust Construction Ltd?
Reviews/news/otherwise?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”