this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby timelapse » June 7th, 2022, 10:30 am

daxt0r wrote:
Strugglerzinc wrote:
daxt0r wrote:looking to block up an some builders ive been talking to say go with the 4" concrete block instead of the normal clay block as it works out same or cheaper. any recommendations, pros and cons?

Probably because you don't strictly need to plaster concrete blocks if done extremely neatly. No matter how neat, you will see block face/lines when not plastered so if that is a consideration, be aware. I personally think that look is for outside rather than interior walls.

Also if you need to do electrical in those walls, concrete blocks are a beyotch to work with. The electrician will almost certainly charge more.

thx didn't think of the electrical side. In terms of strength is there anything difference or is it just a cosmetic/preference thing?
Old builder's tale:
Concrete weakens with age
Clay gets stronger

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » June 7th, 2022, 11:35 am

AlliDr wrote:Good day Tuners,

Just a warning for anyone doing new construction, ppl are stealing the electrical armored cable off your private poles before you get T&TEC connection. Mine was stolen yesterday morning around 3am (picked up on the neighbors cctv) from Gopaul Lands, Marabella, the T&TEC inspection was also yesterday :( They took the 20ft piece from the meter to the top of the pole and tried taking out the piece from the meter to the house that runs underground - couldn't get it out so cut off 4ft. so I still have to replace that piece as well.

This also happed to a friend of mine three months ago building a house in Oropouche, so be aware get a watchman/security if possible.

I made a police report and they said there is nothing they can do and I should get a watchman/security :? they didn't even ask to see/review the neighbors cctv footage.
AbstractPoetic wrote:

Just a warning for anyone doing new construction, ppl are stealing the electrical armored cable off your private poles before you get T&TEC connection. Mine was stolen yesterday morning around 3am (picked up on the neighbors cctv) from Gopaul Lands, Marabella, the T&TEC inspection was also yesterday :( They took the 20ft piece from the meter to the top of the pole and tried taking out the piece from the meter to the house that runs underground - couldn't get it out so cut off 4ft. so I still have to replace that piece as well.

This also happed to a friend of mine three months ago building a house in Oropouche, so be aware get a watchman/security if possible.

I made a police report and they said there is nothing they can do and I should get a watchman/security :? they didn't even ask to see/review the neighbors cctv footage.

So so very sorry to hear this. Lots of that going on right now. I know it will cost you more, but definitely get the security in place before you invest more money on your property. I had to do same to protect renovations to my home.
Them MC pests

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » June 7th, 2022, 7:31 pm

jeez boy dey sickening, sorry to hear that bro! i get a quote for electrical and boy dem materials was more than cement and bricks :/ so ah feel yuh pain.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 8th, 2022, 7:44 am

saw one of these installed on tragarete road installed recently, very elegant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrEyMo8IEJY

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » June 8th, 2022, 8:38 am

pugboy wrote:saw one of these installed on tragarete road installed recently, very elegant

very cool! Requires some skill and precision to work fluidly.
In TT, I suppose it cheaper to do a garage type gate (vertical roller type).

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 8th, 2022, 9:04 am

actually may not require much extra skill
once all the sections same size and hinged properly

just need good quality swivel wheels
and go by a metal bending place to do the curved part of track and of course the vertical guide and safety posts

VexXx Dogg wrote:
pugboy wrote:saw one of these installed on tragarete road installed recently, very elegant

very cool! Requires some skill and precision to work fluidly.
In TT, I suppose it cheaper to do a garage type gate (vertical roller type).

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 23rd, 2022, 5:10 pm

does anybody know a place or person who can fabricate alum french windows and retrofit into an existing large window?
i have a large 72x39” french metal window (2 parts) which is rusting out badly.

the frame was cemented into the wall

would like to have an aluminum french window made and retrofitted into the existing frame.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » June 23rd, 2022, 9:13 pm

small operation, but he does decent work for less than the big shops.

https://www.facebook.com/RR-Glass-Alumi ... 3875316414

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 23rd, 2022, 10:05 pm

will check him

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » June 28th, 2022, 1:55 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:
AbstractPoetic wrote:Where is the best place to get modern ideas for recess and pillar lighting for outdoors? Looking to change it up for my perimeter wall and interior planters.

in the usa where you are
buy it and send it down

almost everything you see locally that even looks kind of nice is very expensive and shitty quality

This is not true, I recently bought lights from both the US (Lumens.com) and Trinidad (Tang Yuk), both had the same quality and brands.

I did see some of the lights I ordered on lumens in Tang Yuk and the prices were not much different

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » June 28th, 2022, 2:11 pm

^ I think what he meant was there are a lot of substandard lights on the market that are more readily available than quality stuff.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 28th, 2022, 2:12 pm

and sold by very modernized electrical places
without the bureau standards required stuff

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » June 28th, 2022, 2:48 pm

Ahhhhhhh

zorced
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zorced » July 3rd, 2022, 2:18 pm

Anywhere sells white gorilla tape (2-3") down here?

Edit: Got through in Allied... yet again.
Last edited by zorced on July 18th, 2022, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rayden6
Sweet on this forum

Postby Rayden6 » July 9th, 2022, 1:15 pm

is it wise to put 1\4 inch steel between blocks on wall corners to cast into wall stiffeners?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 9th, 2022, 3:52 pm

Rayden6 wrote:is it wise to put 1\4 inch steel between blocks on wall corners to cast into wall stiffeners?

It is recommended. How it is done depends on the type of wall being built and whether the blocks or clay or concrete, horizontal or vertical cavity.

TTS 599:2006, Guide to the Design and Construction of Small Buildings has detailed drawings to show what should be done. You can look at the draft here: https://documents.pub/document/trinidad ... draft.html

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » July 9th, 2022, 6:33 pm

so realistically - after TCPD approval, how long does Reg Corp approval take?

Couva/Tab/Talp specifically

kerwinishere
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kerwinishere » July 9th, 2022, 7:05 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:so realistically - after TCPD approval, how long does Reg Corp approval take?

Couva/Tab/Talp specifically
Depends of several factors, after plans leave tcpd the corp forwards to CMOH... This is where the real keep back is... Can take anywhere from months to years. Once cmoh approves it the corp does it's inspection and then assesses the plan to ensure all drawings correspond with each other as well as to make sure structural details are acceptable and input from other government agencies aren't required. If you need to resubmit drawings or your plan require corrections depending on the time of the month you may need to add another month to the timeline as typically the meeting for approval takes place during the second or third week of the month depending on the corporation. Approval time at the BI departments I've worked at range from 1-3 months after CMOH approval

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » July 15th, 2022, 6:11 pm

Anybody have an average price per sq ft of readymix concrete?

Rayden6
Sweet on this forum

Postby Rayden6 » July 16th, 2022, 3:07 am

1 meter about 750 upwards

Riabridge
Street 2NR

Postby Riabridge » July 17th, 2022, 8:15 pm

Hi,don't know who will be able to help me out with this but I have a concrete decking that was exposed for about 5 years to rain before it was covered.for the past while maybe about a few years ago,I noticed the decking swelling and the concrete falling of in many different areas.also now the beams have started swelling out In patches and the concrete falling off.the exposed steal is very rusty as well.
Any 1 has any advise on what should be used to fix this.some1 told us that we may need to knock out all suspected swelling,treat the steal and then plaster it back .any suggestions or better options will be greatly appreciated.

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » July 17th, 2022, 8:30 pm

Riabridge wrote:Hi,don't know who will be able to help me out with this but I have a concrete decking that was exposed for about 5 years to rain before it was covered.for the past while maybe about a few years ago,I noticed the decking swelling and the concrete falling of in many different areas.also now the beams have started swelling out In patches and the concrete falling off.the exposed steal is very rusty as well.
Any 1 has any advise on what should be used to fix this.some1 told us that we may need to knock out all suspected swelling,treat the steal and then plaster it back .any suggestions or better options will be greatly appreciated.

Check pm

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » July 18th, 2022, 10:12 am

matix wrote:
Riabridge wrote:Hi,don't know who will be able to help me out with this but I have a concrete decking that was exposed for about 5 years to rain before it was covered.for the past while maybe about a few years ago,I noticed the decking swelling and the concrete falling of in many different areas.also now the beams have started swelling out In patches and the concrete falling off.the exposed steal is very rusty as well.

Check pm

I would like some advise in this area too. I have a decking to seal off since I can't afford to do the upstairs currently

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » July 24th, 2022, 11:54 am

Looking for bathroom mixer tap for a bathroom I'm building. The picture attached is the inspiration for the build.
What reputable brand should I use? Where can I get it and what is a good budget?
Much thanks for the advice
IMG-20220724-WA0027.jpg

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » July 24th, 2022, 12:00 pm

Jerry84 wrote:Looking for bathroom mixer tap for a bathroom I'm building. The picture attached is the inspiration for the build.
What reputable brand should I use? Where can I get it and what is a good budget?
Much thanks for the advice IMG-20220724-WA0027.jpg

Whatever mixer you go with, Moen, Delta, Price Pfister, ensure that you have access to the mixer form behind the wall.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » July 24th, 2022, 12:03 pm

Jerry84 wrote:Looking for bathroom mixer tap for a bathroom I'm building. The picture attached is the inspiration for the build.

Where you get that wood flooring from?

thelem-again
Sweet on this forum

Postby thelem-again » July 26th, 2022, 9:45 am

SuperiorMan wrote:

Where you get that wood flooring from?

You clearly missed where he said that the photo was an inspiration.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » July 26th, 2022, 9:47 am

Oops nevermind then.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 26th, 2022, 9:56 am

SuperiorMan wrote:Oops nevermind then.
I bought some 10" wide bamboo planking like that at Lowes about three years ago. They still carry it. They will deliver or you can pick up in-store.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » July 26th, 2022, 9:58 am

adnj wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:Oops nevermind then.
I bought some 10" wide bamboo planking like that at Lowes about three years ago. They still carry it. They will deliver or you can pick up in-store.

Thanks.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”