Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby alfa » January 7th, 2023, 11:29 pm

pugboy wrote:that like when they tell you your ful approved but just waiting on gg signature

in woodbrook which is leasehold you need president signature as the final step
that can take a couple years

De Dragon wrote:Don't celebrate too quickly, that stage took me more than a year to complete. :?

All that dramas. In the countryside where I live I don't know a single person including myself who went through T&C to build. Tbh I didn't even know people did that outside of commercial buildings

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 7th, 2023, 11:40 pm

:'(

Guess we'll see

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » January 8th, 2023, 2:30 am

Lol a friend of mine who has a nice government work...who mother have a nice high level government post....decide she not into that bribe thing for approvals.

She wait 4 years for approvals because she refuse to pay bribes......
She also had a building loan in the works that was based onwhen she got approvals....

She had many options to pay bribes Over the 4 years to get the approvals but she kept refusing because she didn't believe in it and didn't think she should have to pay. The contractor apparently didn't have the links to get it approved on his own. Friends she went to school with who were working t&c outright tell her it's just 15k to get the approvals....she refuse because she didn't believe in that

After 4 years she legitly get the approval without bribing.
Then the contractor announce she need to spend 400k extra to build a retaining wall. A wall that she repeatedly asked him about before applying for the loan because the cost needed to be included from the beginning.

So after all that wait and eventually getting approval she couldn't get the extra 400k from the bank she would have had to redo everything or use 400k cash.

She end up saying firetruck it and sell the land

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 8th, 2023, 5:30 am

the bribes are usually at the last level of approvals ie local corporation

it is really pointless have to do t&c first then have to go to local pos corp after

the pos corp engineer inspector guy is literally a 1% puppet when you see all the pure commercial properties approved on residential streets

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 8th, 2023, 7:11 am

Phone Surgeon wrote:Lol a friend of mine who has a nice government work...who mother have a nice high level government post....decide she not into that bribe thing for approvals.

She wait 4 years for approvals because she refuse to pay bribes......
She also had a building loan in the works that was based onwhen she got approvals....

She had many options to pay bribes Over the 4 years to get the approvals but she kept refusing because she didn't believe in it and didn't think she should have to pay. The contractor apparently didn't have the links to get it approved on his own. Friends she went to school with who were working t&c outright tell her it's just 15k to get the approvals....she refuse because she didn't believe in that

After 4 years she legitly get the approval without bribing.
Then the contractor announce she need to spend 400k extra to build a retaining wall. A wall that she repeatedly asked him about before applying for the loan because the cost needed to be included from the beginning.

So after all that wait and eventually getting approval she couldn't get the extra 400k from the bank she would have had to redo everything or use 400k cash.

She end up saying firetruck it and sell the land
How does the contractor even know? Prior experience? That didn't seem to work.

She could have spent the necessary money upfront and hired a design team that would have included a civil engineer.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 8th, 2023, 8:09 am

Imo, if you can afford to build cash and forget t&c and the building inspector...you good to go yes. Just build according to the guidelines set out by the regional Corp, problem solved

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » January 8th, 2023, 8:25 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Imo, if you can afford to build cash and forget t&c and the building inspector...you good to go yes. Just build according to the guidelines set out by the regional Corp, problem solved
Thats the thing, very few can afford to build cash, even if you inherited land. Thats why many are opting just to purchase a home on one of those private developments, it may not be your ideal location or the house design made not be to your liking but is less headache. These contractors know this hence they making a mint.!

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 8th, 2023, 8:38 am

fokhan_96 wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Imo, if you can afford to build cash and forget t&c and the building inspector...you good to go yes. Just build according to the guidelines set out by the regional Corp, problem solved
Thats the thing, very few can afford to build cash, even if you inherited land. Thats why many are opting just to purchase a home on one of those private developments, it may not be your ideal location or the house design made not be to your liking but is less headache. These contractors know this hence they making a mint.!

It's also less time spent waiting. You can see what you're buying now. The total cost is known. If you are concerned about how it was built, a building inspector can be hired before closing.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 8th, 2023, 8:49 am

The thing with buying ready made houses is you would see the many defects and sheit work about 3 years later. See those houses that a popular hardware built, right now is real licks for some of the owners. Pain all how in this place yes.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 8th, 2023, 9:06 am

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:The thing with buying ready made houses is you would see the many defects and sheit work about 3 years later. See those houses that a popular hardware built, right now is real licks for some of the owners. Pain all how in this place yes.
Some of pre-built homes? Yes. Homes from a reputable builder? No.

If you are buying a newly built home from a reputable builder, you should also have a new home warranty as part of the closing conditions. If you are buying from a company that you believe may not survive or may choose to not honor the warranty, you are buying from the wrong builder.

People building a new home that don't know how to build a new home because they don't trust how an existing home was built are in the same situation as people that buy the cheapest home available at too-good-to-believe-it prices:

1. They don't know what they are doing.
2. They don't know where to get reliable advice.
3. They can't afford reliable advice.
4. They can't afford what they are attempting to purchase.
5. All of the above

A new-construction home warranty is a structural warranty that provides a written agreement between the home builder and the homeowner and clearly defines the builder's work-product obligations related to construction quality and continuing obligations.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 8th, 2023, 10:30 am

what about yuh quarrying padna in grande, how his quality ?

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:The thing with buying ready made houses is you would see the many defects and sheit work about 3 years later. See those houses that a popular hardware built, right now is real licks for some of the owners. Pain all how in this place yes.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » January 8th, 2023, 10:54 am

pugboy wrote:the bribes are usually at the last level of approvals ie local corporation

it is really pointless have to do t&c first then have to go to local pos corp after

the pos corp engineer inspector guy is literally a 1% puppet when you see all the pure commercial properties approved on residential streets

Under duress I did offer, but the guy claimed to be a man of integrity :?

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 8th, 2023, 11:02 am

pugboy wrote:what about yuh quarrying padna in grande, how his quality ?

His quality and after sales service is actually very good. The major problem with his homes is location.

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » January 13th, 2023, 1:26 pm

I have a question:
I'm building an extension to my home and engaged 2 contractors
One gave me a total cost, but didn't split the materials and labour.
The other said he would advise on the materials required and his day rate with the total duration of the job not exceeding 18 days.

Which is more reasonable and cost effective?

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » January 13th, 2023, 5:00 pm

goalpost wrote:I have a question:
I'm building an extension to my home and engaged 2 contractors
One gave me a total cost, but didn't split the materials and labour.
The other said he would advise on the materials required and his day rate with the total duration of the job not exceeding 18 days.

Which is more reasonable and cost effective?

Get a material list and costing
Whats the daily labor cost?
Do a written contract
Have a projection of work, time and money.

AlphaMan
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby AlphaMan » January 13th, 2023, 8:51 pm

Is it better to build from scratch or buy an already built house?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 13th, 2023, 9:13 pm

AlphaMan wrote:Is it better to build from scratch or buy an already built house?
There is no definitive answer to that question.

Assurance
Cost
Design
Features
Hassle
Quality

Start by listing those in your personal order of importance.

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » January 13th, 2023, 10:13 pm

AlphaMan wrote:Is it better to build from scratch or buy an already built house?

Depends on your preferences. If you want your own design or you want to accept someone else’s.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 14th, 2023, 5:18 pm

Looking for steel coils to put in a post hole.
Besides Trinidad auger pilers and reesal's , does anyone know where I can get some?

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » January 14th, 2023, 7:19 pm

matix wrote:

Depends on your preferences. If you want your own design or you want to accept someone else’s.

Also pre built will be many hundreds of thousands more

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » January 15th, 2023, 5:59 am

timelapse wrote:Looking for steel coils to put in a post hole.
Besides Trinidad auger pilers and reesal's , does anyone know where I can get some?

Trinrico

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » January 15th, 2023, 6:02 am

If yuh have heart problems or does get vex fast....don't build yuh own house...you will die doing it from the stress of it.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » January 15th, 2023, 6:03 am

And the major difference is with buying a house you can easily get a loan.....

Building you won't unless you take a bridging loan which gonna firetruck you up

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » January 16th, 2023, 6:03 am

Phone Surgeon wrote:If yuh have heart problems or does get vex fast....don't build yuh own house...you will die doing it from the stress of it.

Where does be the most vexing part?

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » January 16th, 2023, 6:04 am

Also if I have a contract with my builder which includes installation of windows and doors but now I don't want him to do it, can I remove it from the scope?

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 16th, 2023, 6:39 am

goalpost wrote:
Phone Surgeon wrote:If yuh have heart problems or does get vex fast....don't build yuh own house...you will die doing it from the stress of it.

Where does be the most vexing part?

Could be from the very start or anything as a matter of fact. All depends on the builder/ tradesmen.

I built on my own, I could safely say I have gained a lot more patience and experience, but I got what I wanted and I know what I have.

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » January 16th, 2023, 7:46 am

Ok. Well I signed a contract with my builder and I'm making sure he does the work in accordance with that contract. So far so good.
I have to buy the materials which he requires but I'm buying in parts, making sure he is low on it before I really buy more.

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » January 16th, 2023, 7:48 am

The thing is when the client is left with purchasing materials it can be an anxiety inducing process because they are now exposed to prices and automatically start to work out their budget, adjusting it based on prices and quantity they "feel" the builder needs

Anyways where is cost effective for roofing materials in the East.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 16th, 2023, 7:50 am

he might say yes but only reduce figure by a little

goalpost wrote:Also if I have a contract with my builder which includes installation of windows and doors but now I don't want him to do it, can I remove it from the scope?

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 16th, 2023, 7:57 am

goalpost wrote:The thing is when the client is left with purchasing materials it can be an anxiety inducing process because they are now exposed to prices and automatically start to work out their budget, adjusting it based on prices and quantity they "feel" the builder needs

Anyways where is cost effective for roofing materials in the East.

I sourced materials from start to finish on my own. Its tedious but saves you a lot. Utilize social media, reviews etc...makes the phone calls as opposed to driving all over the place. What I did was put pen to paper, listed all the hardwares I gonna call and asked for individual prices based on my needs and purchased accordingly.

For roofing in the east I went by George Sheet works in arima.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”