Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby daxt0r » May 11th, 2021, 10:09 am

hi anyone have experience with pricing for house plans?
I was quoted 7000/8000 for a flats/two storey house, is that pricing good/bad?
What/who would be a recommended person/company to use for this service?

Included in quote was :
Site & Location Plan
Foundation Plan
Electrical & Plumbing Plan with Septic Tank/Soakaway Drawings
Floor plans
Roof Plan

The main reason i using this service is cuz the person was providing estimates to do a phased approach cost breakdown so i could say save up do foundation, then save some more then brick up, etc. I don't think i really need a plan but just the info upfront on what is required financially to do a phased build as i don't understand construction stuff to much.
What do you recommend given what i want achieve? being on a budget and guidance to avoid unnecessary expenses.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 11th, 2021, 11:05 am

daxt0r wrote:hi anyone have experience with pricing for house plans?

Included in quote was :
Site & Location Plan
Foundation Plan
Floor plans
Roof Plan

The main reason i using this service is cuz the person was providing estimates to do a phased approach cost breakdown so i could say save up do foundation, then save some more then brick up, etc. I don't think i really need a plan but just the info upfront on what is required financially to do a phased build as i don't understand construction stuff to much.
What do you recommend given what i want achieve? being on a budget and guidance to avoid unnecessary expenses.
Unless you do the work, the cost per sq ft including finishing is approximately $500 for a modest house. $1000 to $1200 per square ft is more common. The price for just the shell is about 60% to 75% of the finished cost.

Some have said that they have contained pricing to $300 per sq ft. So you could possibly build a shell for $180 per sq ft, or about $300,000 for about an average sized home.

If it were me, I would start by saving at least half of the money needed to build the shell.

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » May 11th, 2021, 11:36 am

Zedenka wrote:Good Morning All,

Where sells affordable shower enclosures for bathroom?

I am doing a walking in shower, i just need one piece of glass (8ft Height x 4ft Width) and three places i called for tempered glass charging 6500+ to provide and install.

Are there any places i can buy the glass myself?

What about using Plexi/Acrylic instead of glass?

I was even thinking to use Glass Blocks, where sell those?

Thanks a for the response.
Tempered glass is very expensive, cannot be cut after it is tempered, so you need to have your exact measurements, and it normally takes a few days to be done

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » May 11th, 2021, 11:42 am

Included in quote was :
Site & Location Plan
Foundation Plan
Floor plans
Roof Plan

$7,000 to $8,000 for a set of house plans is pretty good. Five years ago, I did some renovation plans which included foundation plans and details, structural steel plans and details, roof plans and details and a 3D rendering. That cost was $5,500.

That said, you should ensure that the following is also included in your quotation for the house plans:

Foundation Details. While you listed foundation plans, you need to ensure that the details are also provided. Sometimes, these can be determined from the plans, but for specific constructions, there is a need for section details and other similar details which are used in conjunction with the foundation plans to provide all the information required for construction.

Electrical Details. Similar to the foundation details, electrical details will show some specifics of changes in elevation, types of conduit and wiring. Although most of this would be determined by your electrician, the more details available, the better the quote will be from your electrician and the better you can track work and cost during construction.

Roof Details. Again, similar to the previous two, roof details go into more specifics especially when section views are concerned. Welding and fastening details of steel to ring beam, Z-purlin to steel, etc. should all be included as part of your drawing package.

Miscellaneous details. Specific construction details for lintols, ring beam, floor beams, steel lapping, steel spacing and tying need to be provided as well.

Material Takeoffs (MTO) and Bill of Materials (BOM). This will summarise the materials needed for construction such as steel, rebar, volume of concrete, board and wood (if applicable). If you are doing financing, your bank will require that a Quantity Surveyor (QS) develop a cost estimate with material breakdown. You can use the information in your drawing package to cross reference the QS' breakdown. The MTO and BOM is also very useful during construction to track cost and to verify material usage on site.

Approvals. You should confirm whether the cost provided for your drawing package includes submission of the plans to Town and Country. You need to also conform whether the cost includes revisions to any drawings that may be required by Town and Country and/or the relevant Regional Corporation/Borough Corporation/City Corporation.

Point to Note - Many "Plans" have the "details" included on the same drawing. I simply gave the guidance so you can confirm the same with your draftsperson.

Once you have a comprehensive drawing package as described above, it will be very easy to determine and extrapolate the materials needed for the different phases of construction. You can also ask the draftsperson to segregate the MTO and BOM into Foundation, Ground Floor and first floor columns, First Floor, Block up first floor to ring beam and Roof. Otherwise, if you want to save some money, you can do this yourself using the drawings and then determine your estimates for the different phases of your construction.

FWIW - I did my work a few years ago with a company called CADCO. Search them up. They were very courteous and professional but most importantly, they worked with me to understand what I wanted and ensured that changes picked up from the drawing review cycles were captured. I will definitely recommend CADCO, especially given your specific interests for future construction. Do note that given the cost of the services they offered me 5+ years ago and given what you will be embarking on, it is very likely that the cost of CADCO's services will exceed $8,000. However, do reach out to them if you are interested.

Last point to note - You mentioned that you are "on a budget" and needed "guidance to avoid unnecessary expenses". Contrary to what many may say, do your upfront planning properly. You are in the planning phase of your project. Spend the time and money now to ensure your plans are sound, well thought out and detailed. The cost to do this now is minimal when compared to attempting to do the same during construction at which point you will be faced with delay costs, additional material required for unplanned changes, additional labour and if you are doing financing, bridging interest. Delay costs during construction could easily total $100,000 minimum. Conversely, the costs associated with detailed planning now could be $20,000. While this may seem exorbitant now, imagine that this $20,000 cost now will save you the $80,000+ later on. That alone will be worth it during construction. You are doing the right thing and on the right track to doing good planning as you are asking the right questions. Just take the advice to do good plans now, which meet your requirements, and you will have a much easier time during construction.

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » May 11th, 2021, 7:27 pm

carluva wrote:

Included in quote was :
Site & Location Plan
Foundation Plan
Floor plans
Roof Plan

$7,000 to $8,000 for a set of house plans is pretty good. Five years ago, I did some renovation plans which included foundation plans and details, structural steel plans and details, roof plans and details and a 3D rendering. That cost was $5,500.

That said, you should ensure that the following is also included in your quotation for the house plans:

Foundation Details. While you listed foundation plans, you need to ensure that the details are also provided. Sometimes, these can be determined from the plans, but for specific constructions, there is a need for section details and other similar details which are used in conjunction with the foundation plans to provide all the information required for construction.

Electrical Details. Similar to the foundation details, electrical details will show some specifics of changes in elevation, types of conduit and wiring. Although most of this would be determined by your electrician, the more details available, the better the quote will be from your electrician and the better you can track work and cost during construction.

Roof Details. Again, similar to the previous two, roof details go into more specifics especially when section views are concerned. Welding and fastening details of steel to ring beam, Z-purlin to steel, etc. should all be included as part of your drawing package.

Miscellaneous details. Specific construction details for lintols, ring beam, floor beams, steel lapping, steel spacing and tying need to be provided as well.

Material Takeoffs (MTO) and Bill of Materials (BOM). This will summarise the materials needed for construction such as steel, rebar, volume of concrete, board and wood (if applicable). If you are doing financing, your bank will require that a Quantity Surveyor (QS) develop a cost estimate with material breakdown. You can use the information in your drawing package to cross reference the QS' breakdown. The MTO and BOM is also very useful during construction to track cost and to verify material usage on site.

Approvals. You should confirm whether the cost provided for your drawing package includes submission of the plans to Town and Country. You need to also conform whether the cost includes revisions to any drawings that may be required by Town and Country and/or the relevant Regional Corporation/Borough Corporation/City Corporation.

Point to Note - Many "Plans" have the "details" included on the same drawing. I simply gave the guidance so you can confirm the same with your draftsperson.

Once you have a comprehensive drawing package as described above, it will be very easy to determine and extrapolate the materials needed for the different phases of construction. You can also ask the draftsperson to segregate the MTO and BOM into Foundation, Ground Floor and first floor columns, First Floor, Block up first floor to ring beam and Roof. Otherwise, if you want to save some money, you can do this yourself using the drawings and then determine your estimates for the different phases of your construction.

FWIW - I did my work a few years ago with a company called CADCO. Search them up. They were very courteous and professional but most importantly, they worked with me to understand what I wanted and ensured that changes picked up from the drawing review cycles were captured. I will definitely recommend CADCO, especially given your specific interests for future construction. Do note that given the cost of the services they offered me 5+ years ago and given what you will be embarking on, it is very likely that the cost of CADCO's services will exceed $8,000. However, do reach out to them if you are interested.

Last point to note - You mentioned that you are "on a budget" and needed "guidance to avoid unnecessary expenses". Contrary to what many may say, do your upfront planning properly. You are in the planning phase of your project. Spend the time and money now to ensure your plans are sound, well thought out and detailed. The cost to do this now is minimal when compared to attempting to do the same during construction at which point you will be faced with delay costs, additional material required for unplanned changes, additional labour and if you are doing financing, bridging interest. Delay costs during construction could easily total $100,000 minimum. Conversely, the costs associated with detailed planning now could be $20,000. While this may seem exorbitant now, imagine that this $20,000 cost now will save you the $80,000+ later on. That alone will be worth it during construction. You are doing the right thing and on the right track to doing good planning as you are asking the right questions. Just take the advice to do good plans now, which meet your requirements, and you will have a much easier time during construction.

thx for the detailed advice, i will reach out to them and go over the particulars you described and possibly contact CADCO an hear dey prices. Tings hard like banga but i still wa try an build lol.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » May 11th, 2021, 9:13 pm

daxt0r wrote:
thx for the detailed advice, i will reach out to them and go over the particulars you described and possibly contact CADCO an hear dey prices. Tings hard like banga but i still wa try an build lol.

Dude, as I have said a few times on tuner on different threads, if you can hold out on major expenses now, until this COVID is under some semblance of control, do try your best. Material prices have skyrocketed this year due to supply chains being curtailed and shipping/freight logistics. The cost of a foundation nowadays may well have seen you to first floor decking a couple of years ago. If things really hard, save your cash or even invest in some land. Unless absolutely necessary, any major expense now really should be considered carefully before committing to the same.

Cheers!

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » May 12th, 2021, 11:36 pm

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » May 12th, 2021, 11:46 pm

carluva wrote:
daxt0r wrote:

Dude, as I have said a few times on tuner on different threads, if you can hold out on major expenses now, until this COVID is under some semblance of control, do try your best. Material prices have skyrocketed this year due to supply chains being curtailed and shipping/freight logistics. The cost of a foundation nowadays may well have seen you to first floor decking a couple of years ago. If things really hard, save your cash or even invest in some land. Unless absolutely necessary, any major expense now really should be considered carefully before committing to the same.

Cheers!

Not to mention that even private construction is prohibited :? . You really see a work crew masked up and socially distancing on your jobsite?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » May 13th, 2021, 7:18 am

Ali's in Marabella hands down.However as pretty as those prefab things look in the store, I learned the hard way about the ones with the fiberglass base.Leaks galore.I end up concreting.
Back to your question.Plexiglass and acrylic are common, most major glass shops will have products for this.If you want thicker panels, you can use Lexan.Lotech has this selling.They have a branch in Pt.Lisas and a branch in Trincity
Zedenka wrote:Good Morning All,

Where sells affordable shower enclosures for bathroom?

I am doing a walking in shower, i just need one piece of glass (8ft Height x 4ft Width) and three places i called for tempered glass charging 6500+ to provide and install.

Are there any places i can buy the glass myself?

What about using Plexi/Acrylic instead of glass?

I was even thinking to use Glass Blocks, where sell those?

Thanks a for the response.

Fadakartel
Street 2NR

Postby Fadakartel » May 14th, 2021, 11:18 am

carluva wrote:
daxt0r wrote:

Cheers!

I agree, right now i`m trying to finish off some apartment units and the cost is extremely high, if it was not for neighbours doing the labour I would of put this on hold for the next 3 to 5 years.

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » May 14th, 2021, 5:27 pm

Fadakartel wrote:
carluva wrote:
daxt0r wrote:

Cheers!

I agree, right now i`m trying to finish off some apartment units and the cost is extremely high, if it was not for neighbours doing the labour I would of put this on hold for the next 3 to 5 years.

I am not in a position of comfort like you folks, i am renting, so you suggest continue pouring money down the drain rather than invest in my own. Even if i pay inflated prices for material won't it be better cuz its mine rather than put money in someone else pocket? I already invested in 3 pieces ah land i want to build on one a lil home; i done say d apartments i wanted to put on one of the other parcel out of the question for now.
I just wa somewhere to have as meh own, a lil small shamba nothing big lol. I feel i comfy with a lil 2 bedroom concrete flats at least for d hour. What allyuh knowledgeable experienced heads in d game feel that go cost if doing simple place as described, no fancy stuff lol.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » May 14th, 2021, 7:23 pm

Think about the maths
I have no idea what rent you paying but let's guesstimate 4000 maximum
If you have to pay rent for 2 years and spend 96k

Rather than spend 500k to build what suppose to cost 250k

Which you think better?

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » May 15th, 2021, 5:30 pm

Any tuners have a bay window at home? Thinking about doing one on the ground floor and was interested in some ideas locally. Leaning toward a large pane type something like these;
Modern-Bay-Window-Seats-2.jpeg
Modern-Bay-Window-Seats-9.jpeg
Modern-Bay-Window-Seats-9.jpeg (24.03 KiB) Viewed 2500 times

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » May 15th, 2021, 9:29 pm

Those look really lovely, especially plain with no burglar proofing.

Sadly, a bandit with two big stone will buss that pane of glass and will be in your house.

I did hear that Domus windows does a security glass which is impact resistant. Perhaps check them out if you doing a window without any burglarproof.
Last edited by carluva on May 15th, 2021, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » May 15th, 2021, 10:14 pm

Yes we’d all love to have large windows with no burglar proofing to obstruct your view and make you feel like you’re in a cage.
But unfortunately we usually can’t do that here because of crime.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » May 15th, 2021, 10:56 pm

Victory trading has a roll down security shutter option for big windows or glass doors.
Pricy though

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » May 15th, 2021, 11:31 pm

Only way you can have that in trinidad is if the building face with those windows are on a 1st+ storey with no cantilevers overlooking a precipice

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » May 16th, 2021, 6:15 am

This solves all your issues
If yuh have the extra 10 to 20k

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=220788286512257

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 16th, 2021, 8:01 am

if it get bang up when somebody try to break it dies the whole thing have p be replaced?

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » May 16th, 2021, 8:08 am

Phone Surgeon wrote:This solves all your issues

Thanks, I was guesstimating the window install @10k but hmm if I go with that shutter ( have to, is Trinidad) I might have to bread and channa for a few months

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » May 16th, 2021, 8:12 am

I plan to put it facing the backyard. Already landscaped and everything else done, it will replace a sliding door, off the living room, so I was looking at window options

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » May 16th, 2021, 8:21 am

Do it in Lexan?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » May 16th, 2021, 8:40 am

We installed this in our mosque's kitchen
Really nice setup

But a bandit still break in tho

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » May 16th, 2021, 8:41 am

I think they can replace the damages slats once the frame good
pugboy wrote:if it get bang up when somebody try to break it dies the whole thing have p be replaced?

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » May 16th, 2021, 8:55 am

*KRONIK* wrote:We installed this in our mosque's kitchen
Really nice setup

But a bandit still break in tho

As in the bandit cut through or forced the sliding panels apart ? Everyone should look into these basic home security DIY systems on amazon for less than $100US . At least some noise might scare the bandit aware or alert the neighbours

Thustar Security System, WiFi... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZYTJHXD?re ... b_ap_share

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » May 16th, 2021, 9:30 am

That might be some$$$
timelapse wrote:Do it in Lexan?

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » May 16th, 2021, 9:35 am

Might just burglar proof flush to the walls, hide with drapes or sumtin Will ugly up the scene but that's the trade off

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » May 16th, 2021, 9:54 am

Correct. Later this year, I am hoping to replace our garage door with one of these from Victory trading. A shot of the quote is attached.
*KRONIK* wrote:I think they can replace the damages slats once the frame good
pugboy wrote:if it get bang up when somebody try to break it dies the whole thing have p be replaced?
Screenshot_20210516-095411.jpeg

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » May 16th, 2021, 10:00 am

What is wrong with the sliding door?

Having a door off your living room to your backyard sounds very enticing especially if the yard is done up and easy access is there to and from the house should you have the odd small lime (when this COVID finally done).

Also think about the the window potentially causing heat to be trapped, There will be a need for ventilation in the room, via a door or other window. AC is an option but why use that when you can get natural fresh air and save on your electricity bill?
viedcht wrote:I plan to put it facing the backyard. Already landscaped and everything else done, it will replace a sliding door, off the living room, so I was looking at window options

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » May 16th, 2021, 10:04 am

Yes. That will make everything look ugly and defeat the intent of what you are trying to achieve.

Any chance you can send a pic or two of what's there right now?
viedcht wrote:

Might just burglar proof flush to the walls, hide with drapes or sumtin Will ugly up the scene but that's the trade off

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”