Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby adnj » April 24th, 2022, 9:59 pm

^^ XLPE offers higher allowable insulation temperature and flexibility. XLPE is more expensive for a given cable size but you can often use a smaller cable because of the operating temperature.

PVC offers superior UV resistance. The cable will nearly always be larger but there is less work at the utility connection because you don't need to add as much weather protection.

There are a few reasons to pick one over the other but your biggest issue will be passing inspection for the reconnect. You will need both a happy electrician and inspector for that.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 24th, 2022, 10:08 pm

i get ketch with that wrong cable which start to crack up
had to get a guy to tape over and silicone the insulation

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » April 24th, 2022, 10:24 pm

Heat shrink on cables works really good as well, added protection.

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » April 25th, 2022, 11:26 am

fokhan_96 wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Frameless tempered glass bath enclosures....what company/ies you all could recommend
Not too sure you why want this option... but consider other options.
The aluminium frame does not look bad and laminated glass is generally cheaper than tempered glass. Dont think tempered glass is indestructible.

someone suggested to me to get plastic instead, saying they're not that ugly looking.

anyone have experience with that one?

btw -- laminated glass strong enough?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 25th, 2022, 12:31 pm

^^ Similar strength laminated glass is more expensive than tempered glass.

Plexiglass is cheaper and safer than tempered glass. Tempered glass will nearly never scratch and won't discolor.

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » April 25th, 2022, 12:42 pm

adnj wrote:^^ Similar strength laminated glass is more expensive than tempered glass.

Plexiglass is cheaper and safer than tempered glass. Tempered glass will nearly never scratch and won't discolor.

ohh i'll look into plexiglass.

fohkan got it wrong with laminated being cheaper -- saw it online as more expensive as well

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » April 25th, 2022, 12:48 pm

st7 wrote:
adnj wrote:^^ Similar strength laminated glass is more expensive than tempered glass.

ohh i'll look into plexiglass.

fohkan got it wrong with laminated being cheaper -- saw it online as more expensive as well
I guess depends on the company you going with. When i got quote from a local company they said that tempered was more expensive than laminated glass. This is taking in consideration the size, thickness, shape, fabrication and installation. It's not just "ah piece of glass".

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » April 26th, 2022, 8:25 am

adnj wrote:^^ XLPE offers higher allowable insulation temperature and flexibility. XLPE is more expensive for a given cable size but you can often use a smaller cable because of the operating temperature.

PVC offers superior UV resistance. The cable will nearly always be larger but there is less work at the utility connection because you don't need to add as much weather protection.

There are a few reasons to pick one over the other but your biggest issue will be passing inspection for the reconnect. You will need both a happy electrician and inspector for that.
So with a larger cable (95mm)..does this mean more consumption so higher electricity bill?

Because this would determine whether I go with the 70mm or 95mm 3core cable.

Bear with me people... I know some of these electricians, plumbers and other trades men could make you spend unnecessary money so trying to ensure I do the correct thing at the best price

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » April 26th, 2022, 8:48 am

Size of cable only determines maximum allowable usage. Actual consumption will only depend on you.

If you plan on using at or around the 200A then you want the cable with the higher overhead capacity. Don't skimp on things that can cause fire.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » April 26th, 2022, 9:08 am

Jerry84 wrote:So with a larger cable (95mm)..does this mean more consumption so higher electricity bill?

Because this would determine whether I go with the 70mm or 95mm 3core cable.

Bear with me people... I know some of these electricians, plumbers and other trades men could make you spend unnecessary money so trying to ensure I do the correct thing at the best price

As strugglerz said. But will add the following since you are asking.

For a 110VAC/220VAC single phase residential supply, the largest size main breaker you can have in your mains panel is 200A, iirc. Above that T&TEC will supply you at three phase whereby you will have to step down to your single phase.

The table adjn posted is a guide, however, I will offer that if you know the exact specifications of the cable you are interested in purchasing AND how you plan to install (direct buried or in Conduit), I can cross reference NEC/BSI/TTS and give you a guide on the current carrying capacity of that particular type of cable. Not all 75 sqmm or 90 sqmm cables will have the same rating. They may be similar but not the same as this depends heavily on installation method, type of cable and number of cables being installed together.

The caveat is that the size of the cable helps with voltage drop which according to TTS 171 must not exceed 3% of the voltage rating of the circuit between source and load. This is where a larger cable size helps as the larger the cable, the smaller the voltage drop. Again, if you know the length of the cable run, I can give you a guide on the voltage drop calculation.

So, if you would like some more calcs to help you understand, get the cable specification and sizes being considered, the method of installation and the length of the cable.

Cheers.

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » April 26th, 2022, 11:28 am

anyone from bago in here have any used boxing board to sell?
An anyone else notice d insane price increases in steel recently? In about a little more than a month time a roll of brc went up 3 time jed. Pain pain.

thelem-again
Sweet on this forum

Postby thelem-again » April 26th, 2022, 11:37 am

Can anyone shed any light as to if pretreatment for pests is required when doing a foundation for a residential house.

If so what kind, recommendations for who provides that service, what's the approximate cost, at what stage etc.

Thanks.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 26th, 2022, 1:06 pm

Subterranean termite treatment is. No idea on who or how much.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » April 26th, 2022, 1:08 pm

Some errors in your post there.... XLPE is susceptible and will fail very quickly in UV. It can withstand higher operating temps before breakdown so can carry more current. PVC is better for house mains... less maintenance.

carluva wrote:XLPE and PVC refer to the insulation on the cable. Both are good, although the XLPE may be a bit more weather, water, oil and UV resistant than the PVC. That is not to say the PVC is bad as it will offer good resistance to those elements, but the XLPE offers superior resistance to the same.

You are good either way for your house. If the cable is direct buried (which is not recommended as the cables should be installed in underground PVC ducts) go with the XLPE. Else, either is fine for installation in a PVC conduit.

Just ensure that the cross sectional area of the cable occupies no more than 40% of the conduit cross sectional area.

Your electrician is also guiding you correctly. The size of the cable is also heavily dependent on the length of the run. The longer the run, the larger the cable the smaller the voltage drop and therefore the better the current carrying capacity.

Think of it this way: which will give better flow of water between a100ft 1/2" hose and a 100ft 5/8" hose? Obviously the latter since there is less resistance for the water to overcome in the larger hose. Reduce that length of hose now to 10ft and the difference in flow may not be discerned. Similar concept with cable, except the flow is current flow.

Jerry84 wrote:
adnj wrote:
Jerry84 wrote:To all those guys you upgraded their house electrical connection to 200amps, what size main cable(service connection to meter/house) did you all use?

My electrician telling me I have to use 95mm or something so when I thought 50mm was sufficient. Let me know your views/experience.

Reason is the drastic price difference for these armoured cables.
Depends heavily on the length of the cable and whether the sheathing is PVC or XLPE.

You cannot use 3×50 mm sq armored cable at 200 amps.

I think I remember him saying pvc for the mains cable. Is this correct? Should I go with the xlp?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » April 26th, 2022, 1:34 pm

adnj wrote:Subterranean termite treatment is. No idea on who or how much.
Termiban.

You can hire Rentokil to do it and pay 10000 or you can buy a few bottles of the chemical yourself and get a nice long drill bit/spiral bit/ auger bit and drill several deep holes all over and apply the chemical.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » April 26th, 2022, 1:35 pm

Last foundation i did cost me 4500
3bedroom house

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » April 26th, 2022, 1:37 pm

thelem-again wrote:Can anyone shed any light as to if pretreatment for pests is required when doing a foundation for a residential house.

If so what kind, recommendations for who provides that service, what's the approximate cost, at what stage etc.

Thanks.

It is recommended

You can check a private pest controller or companies like rentokil also do it

Its typically done after the foundation is filled but just before casting.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » April 26th, 2022, 1:39 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:
Termiban.

You can hire Rentokil to do it and pay 10000 or you can buy a few bottles of the chemical yourself and get a nice long drill bit/spiral bit/ auger bit and drill several deep holes all over and apply the chemical.

have places that rent gas powered augers for a 300-400/day. Rent it over a weekend and go nuts

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » April 26th, 2022, 2:01 pm

Yes. After adjn pointed it out I realised the mixup (and knew the same but twas a case of not typing what my brain was saying). Ah well, happens sometimes and that's why we have good fellow tuners as you and adjn to correct us at times.

Tnx

It gets more involved once the cable specs are known. Hence the offer to Jerry to furnish and I'll help if he wishes.

Gladiator wrote:Some errors in your post there.... XLPE is susceptible and will fail very quickly in UV. It can withstand higher operating temps before breakdown so can carry more current. PVC is better for house mains... less maintenance.

carluva wrote:XLPE and PVC refer to the insulation on the cable. Both are good, although the XLPE may be a bit more weather, water, oil and UV resistant than the PVC. That is not to say the PVC is bad as it will offer good resistance to those elements, but the XLPE offers superior resistance to the same.

You are good either way for your house. If the cable is direct buried (which is not recommended as the cables should be installed in underground PVC ducts) go with the XLPE. Else, either is fine for installation in a PVC conduit.

Just ensure that the cross sectional area of the cable occupies no more than 40% of the conduit cross sectional area.

Your electrician is also guiding you correctly. The size of the cable is also heavily dependent on the length of the run. The longer the run, the larger the cable the smaller the voltage drop and therefore the better the current carrying capacity.

Think of it this way: which will give better flow of water between a100ft 1/2" hose and a 100ft 5/8" hose? Obviously the latter since there is less resistance for the water to overcome in the larger hose. Reduce that length of hose now to 10ft and the difference in flow may not be discerned. Similar concept with cable, except the flow is current flow.

Jerry84 wrote:
adnj wrote:
Jerry84 wrote:To all those guys you upgraded their house electrical connection to 200amps, what size main cable(service connection to meter/house) did you all use?

My electrician telling me I have to use 95mm or something so when I thought 50mm was sufficient. Let me know your views/experience.

Reason is the drastic price difference for these armoured cables.
Depends heavily on the length of the cable and whether the sheathing is PVC or XLPE.

You cannot use 3×50 mm sq armored cable at 200 amps.

I think I remember him saying pvc for the mains cable. Is this correct? Should I go with the xlp?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » April 26th, 2022, 2:06 pm

I used Integrated many years ago.

Agree with what others have said.

Check them out and discuss your options.

https://integratedpests.com/

Ask to speak to Mahadeo. He's the owner and quite friendly and customer oriented.
thelem-again wrote:Can anyone shed any light as to if pretreatment for pests is required when doing a foundation for a residential house.

Thanks.

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » April 26th, 2022, 2:51 pm

anyone did finishes touches on house recently and would have bought windows, door, electrical and plumbing fixtures? where has the bess prices rite now with how things goin?
I'm looking at 4x4 as it seems a good size, not sure yet between upvc or aluminum as on the interwebs there is conflicting info on which is better, any recommendations on size an type?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » April 26th, 2022, 3:02 pm

Well if he doing foundation then he suppose to already have a set of deep holes dug

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 26th, 2022, 4:13 pm

the idea is the soil around foundation and wall base is treated to create a barrier from them climbing up from deep below and up/inside the walls

zorced
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zorced » April 26th, 2022, 5:55 pm

What are the cheapest siding materials for a shed locally? Need to do temporary refurb.

Jerry84
Trinituner Peong

Postby Jerry84 » April 26th, 2022, 7:38 pm

daxt0r wrote:anyone did finishes touches on house recently and would have bought windows, door, electrical and plumbing fixtures? where has the bess prices rite now with how things goin?
I'm looking at 4x4 as it seems a good size, not sure yet between upvc or aluminum as on the interwebs there is conflicting info on which is better, any recommendations on size an type?
Prices have increased significantly in the construction industry within the last 6 months. A 4x4 aluminum window went up from around $800 to $1000. And this has been the norm across the board. A simple wooden pitch pine door is just over $500, up from $425 max. Haven't reached plumbing as yet so can't comment on that.

daxt0r
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby daxt0r » April 27th, 2022, 7:10 am

Jerry84 wrote:
daxt0r wrote:anyone did finishes touches on house recently and would have bought windows, door, electrical and plumbing fixtures? where has the bess prices rite now with how things goin?
Prices have increased significantly in the construction industry within the last 6 months. A 4x4 aluminum window went up from around $800 to $1000. And this has been the norm across the board. A simple wooden pitch pine door is just over $500, up from $425 max. Haven't reached plumbing as yet so can't comment on that.

yea boy rel pressure on d pump!
Where you see 4x4 windows for 1000, cheapest i saw was like 1300 an most closer to 1500 :/
You think prices will go back down eventually or like all things in Trinidad goes up but doesn't come down with market forces?

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » April 28th, 2022, 8:06 pm

Anybody ever had work done from Bilda Boyz on FB?

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » May 1st, 2022, 7:44 pm

279573186_3350909918524358_3714320640434339520_n.jpg

guyana remove vat on cement. what rowlee do for we?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 1st, 2022, 8:35 pm

he did work for me before he started bilda boyz
he is not a scamp

supercharged turbo wrote:Anybody ever had work done from Bilda Boyz on FB?

worksux101
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby worksux101 » May 1st, 2022, 10:41 pm

supercharged turbo wrote:Anybody ever had work done from Bilda Boyz on FB?

He definitely seems like he knows his stuff, but I'm always cautious with contractors that take alot of different jobs at the same time

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”