Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Building a house in Trinidad

Postby ek4ever » December 27th, 2010, 4:22 pm

Tuners...I know we have some ppl in here who are in the building line....would like to get an idea, given current labour and materials costs, what kind of house is possible given the following:

Lot size: 8000 sqft
Construction budget: $700,000

Any sample pics, plans or general descriptions would be appreciated.

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby Rory Phoulorie » December 27th, 2010, 4:51 pm

Just a word of advice, please ensure that whoever designs your house for you ensures that it conforms to the TTBS Small Building Code.

Cjruckus
Riding on 18's

Postby Cjruckus » December 27th, 2010, 4:57 pm

call kamala

Captainzaak
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Captainzaak » December 27th, 2010, 5:23 pm

PM Rahtid, he can quote u & build it for u one time.

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » December 27th, 2010, 7:02 pm

Rory Phoulorie wrote:Just a word of advice, please ensure that whoever designs your house for you ensures that it conforms to the TTBS Small Building Code.

Thanks. To ensure that this is so....is there some sort certification to look for when looking at prospective designers, contractors, etc?

My first house was a buy and renovate so I didn't go through all this....so any tips I can get here would be appreciated.

I've come across companies offering the full service from design, quantity survey, site survey, build and deliver....is this the best way to go? If so any recommendations?

Thanks again

@Cjruckus .... :roll:

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » December 27th, 2010, 7:32 pm

Thanks. To ensure that this is so....is there some sort certification to look for when looking at prospective designers, contractors, etc?

The easiest way is to hire a registered civil/structural engineer to either do the structural design for you or review the structural design done by, say, a draughtsman (like Rahtid). There are a lot of draughtsmen out there who prepare house plans based on their experience in drawing similar structures and seeing what sizes of members are used and how they are reinforced.

I am not sure how many of them are familiar with the recently introduced TTBS Small Building Code. If your house is designed following this code of practice, then you should not be too worried if your house is subjected to the occasional earthquake or the even less frequent hurricane/tropical storm (although if Mother Nature wants to destroy your house, she certainly will).

The engineer can also help supervise your contractor during construction with things such as formwork construction, reinforcing steel installation, materials quality control testing (especially concrete strength), proper HS&E practices, and the like.

When you compare the cost of retaining an engineer to the cost of your home, it is a worthwhile expense.

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » December 27th, 2010, 7:37 pm

^^ thanks for the good advice...it's true when you consider the expense it's better to hire the right ppl to make sure it's done right.

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » February 20th, 2011, 1:33 am

so i am planning on building where a current concrete block structure is located that needs demolition.is there any use for the building blocks that would be obtained when then house is demolished?can it be used in filling the foundation or any other similar uses that the material is sold over?

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » February 20th, 2011, 9:02 am

Kenjo wrote:so i am planning on building where a current concrete block structure is located that needs demolition.is there any use for the building blocks that would be obtained when then house is demolished?can it be used in filling the foundation or any other similar uses that the material is sold over?

Unless you can crush the blocks properly so that they are well graded (varying sizes of particles from coarse to fine), you should not use it as structural fill (that is, fill supporting slabs or foundations). If the fill is not graded properly, it will not compact properly and can settle over time, leading to cracks in the slabs or foundations or whatever it is supporting.

Your best option would be to crush the blocks as best as you can and use it as general fill in the yard to fill in any low spots which you can then cover with some topsoil and vegetation.

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » February 20th, 2011, 9:09 am

well i guess that might be the option if it cant be ground up to be used in the foundation.thanks again man!

Mr. Red Sleeper
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Mr. Red Sleeper » February 20th, 2011, 10:17 am

Continue Rory, Your advice is quite interesting. Info in abundance.
By chance, are you a contractor,a civil engineer or just someone who passed thru the house building process recently?

francis1979
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby francis1979 » February 20th, 2011, 7:18 pm

Not actually related to your request but some additional advice from my observations from viewing a lot of construction projects (small and big) are:
• Hire professionals. It may cost more but save you in the long run.
• Get a good architect, draftsman or civil engineer. I like the architect since they have the vision for the property. But there services are not cheap. Incompetent people may over-spec or under-spec
• Ensure that the person drawing your plan understand your vision for the property and list all the details. Do not say "I will cross the bridge when i reach it". You may have to make modifications to previous work
• If the person advising you is competent listen to their advice of “what not to do “and “what to do”. e.g. electrical outlets location and quantity, etc.
• Think about what you can afford now but would like to do in the future. Pre-invest in some of those things you would like to do in the future. E.g. if you plan to install air conditioning in the future but can’t install it now pre-invest in the electrical so next few year you do not have to worry about main breaker size, breaking of walls for electrical and plumbing the additional cost now may be minimal compared to in the future
• Think about next 5 years and ask yourself how you will maintain an item or location. E.g. painting, repairs, etc.
• If your plan was done correctly minimize changes

If you adhere to the above there should be limited variations in your projects. Variations are where contractors “dig out your eye” and the price increases exponentially since they already have the job.

Do it right the frist time and it will be cheaper in the long run

Rahtid
Shifting into 6th

Postby Rahtid » February 20th, 2011, 7:25 pm

Rory Phoulorie wrote:

The easiest way is to hire a registered civil/structural engineer to either do the structural design for you or review the structural design done by, say, a draughtsman (like Rahtid). There are a lot of draughtsmen out there who prepare house plans based on their experience in drawing similar structures and seeing what sizes of members are used and how they are reinforced.

I am not sure how many of them are familiar with the recently introduced TTBS Small Building Code. If your house is designed following this code of practice, then you should not be too worried if your house is subjected to the occasional earthquake or the even less frequent hurricane/tropical storm (although if Mother Nature wants to destroy your house, she certainly will).

The engineer can also help supervise your contractor during construction with things such as formwork construction, reinforcing steel installation, materials quality control testing (especially concrete strength), proper HS&E practices, and the like.

When you compare the cost of retaining an engineer to the cost of your home, it is a worthwhile expense.

Thnx rory,,,your advice is very appreciated always.
I dont really do drawings anymore,depending on who it is,then I do it.
I do more large scale work now (building etc)
I would like to say what I really do now, but that would be 'advertising'.

Pm, for more info,

Rahtid
Shifting into 6th

Postby Rahtid » February 20th, 2011, 7:26 pm

Captainzaak wrote:PM Rahtid, he can quote u & build it for u one time.

Thank you zaak,

RIPEBREDFRUIT
18 pounds of Boost

Postby RIPEBREDFRUIT » February 21st, 2011, 7:32 am

when building andf planning the layout of your house,
make sure and take into consideration which diorection you want the houser to face, take into account the WInds and the orientation of the East , west for Sunlight and how much light you want each room to have naturally.
This can really save you alot of costs and headaches down the line.
design where winds can go through the house and keep it cool naturally!

searchingone
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby searchingone » February 21st, 2011, 9:07 am

Rory Phoulorie wrote:

I found a pdf version of the TTBS Small Building Code online. Is a hard-copy available for purchase? Where can I get one and at what cost? Thanks

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » February 21st, 2011, 9:43 am

post the link for the code here bro.....I also wanna do some building thanks!!

ronsin1
punchin NOS

Postby ronsin1 » February 21st, 2011, 9:48 am

^^ TTBS Small building code is available at the TTBS offices in Macoya

ek4ever
Shifting into 6th

Postby ek4ever » February 21st, 2011, 9:57 am

Some really good info here....and I'll be sure to heed all the advice given....better to be informed and cautious than have to fix mistakes down the road. The biggest problem I'm facing right now is land....looking in the Freeport and Couva area...but alot of the listings are for huge plots or acres and lots without T&C approval. Anyway will keep looking...

searchingone
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby searchingone » February 21st, 2011, 10:09 am

Nigson wrote:post the link for the code here bro.....I also wanna do some building thanks!!

here it is:

http://www.boett.org/publications/Small ... 202004.pdf

Thanks ronsin1. Anywhere in PoS though?

ronsin1
punchin NOS

Postby ronsin1 » February 21st, 2011, 12:10 pm

Not to sure got mine delivered to the office give them a call and see what happens.

Greypatch
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Greypatch » February 21st, 2011, 12:22 pm

come eeen boi elviss

Aribabs
Street 2NR

Postby Aribabs » February 21st, 2011, 12:38 pm

ek4ever wrote:Some really good info here....and I'll be sure to heed all the advice given....better to be informed and cautious than have to fix mistakes down the road. The biggest problem I'm facing right now is land....looking in the Freeport and Couva area...but alot of the listings are for huge plots or acres and lots without T&C approval. Anyway will keep looking...

What is T&C?

Nighttroll
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Nighttroll » February 21st, 2011, 12:45 pm

town and country

Rahtid
Shifting into 6th

Postby Rahtid » February 21st, 2011, 12:48 pm

Aribabs wrote:
ek4ever wrote:Some really good info here....and I'll be sure to heed all the advice given....better to be informed and cautious than have to fix mistakes down the road. The biggest problem I'm facing right now is land....looking in the Freeport and Couva area...but alot of the listings are for huge plots or acres and lots without T&C approval. Anyway will keep looking...

What is T&C?

T&C,,,Town and Country,,,

A lot of the land is agricultural land that doesn't have approval for building, a lot of factors (electricity,water,proper drainage plans etc). You can try to get it approved,maybe maybe not it will be approved.

What you can do, is sit and talk to the designer/architect and explain what you want,and then work around it to design your building incorporating the building codes.
It will not happen as quickly as you may think, but then again, Good designs takes some time (2weeks-1 month).

Thnx patchie

Mr. Red Sleeper
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Mr. Red Sleeper » February 21st, 2011, 1:39 pm

Rahtid wrote:[
Good designs takes some time (2weeks-1 month).

Serious?

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » February 21st, 2011, 7:59 pm

good info here!!!!

Rahtid
Shifting into 6th

Postby Rahtid » February 22nd, 2011, 12:59 pm

Mr. Red Sleeper wrote:

Serious?

Well seeing as I not the type to go drinking everyday,and I actually work(not copy and paste) till 2am, I can get it done depending on the size.

Mr. Red Sleeper
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Mr. Red Sleeper » February 22nd, 2011, 1:21 pm

Rahtid wrote:
Mr. Red Sleeper wrote:

Serious?

Well seeing as I not the type to go drinking everyday,and I actually work(not copy and paste) till 2am, I can get it done depending on the size.

Well, i have a few jobs on the drawing board here, 2 of which need that level of "good design" and speed that you speak of .

One is a 3 storey residence with poolS, kitchenS (yes "s") and 8 bedrooms, complete with all amenities. Whats needed is designs, floor layouts, perspective drawings , etc. for presentation as any "good design" will entail.
Assuming that to arrive at these designs, I know that all structural and sectional drawings should be prepared so that when your done, understanding and translating to the client should be pretty straightforward, and of course, it will allow for the least possible alterations to the final product at the end of the day.

The second is a propsal to be done for a 15,000 sq. ft. piece of land to house a members club building.
The building has to cater for a gym, toilets, recreational facilities , etc. and to be of a colonial architectural design, with functional architectural features, that will allow for proper ventilation, lighting and necessary support features for members/clients, etc.

Both of which have to be completed (good design drawings) within the next month.

Are you interested?

Rahtid
Shifting into 6th

Postby Rahtid » February 22nd, 2011, 1:35 pm

Mr. Red Sleeper wrote:
Rahtid wrote:
Mr. Red Sleeper wrote:

Serious?

Well, i have a few jobs on the drawing board here, 2 of which need that level of "good design" and speed that you speak of .

One is a 3 storey residence with poolS, kitchenS (yes "s") and 8 bedrooms, complete with all amenities. Whats needed is designs, floor layouts, perspective drawings , etc. for presentation as any "good design" will entail.
Assuming that to arrive at these designs, I know that all structural and sectional drawings should be prepared so that when your done, understanding and translating to the client should be pretty straightforward, and of course, it will allow for the least possible alterations to the final product at the end of the day.

The second is a propsal to be done for a 15,000 sq. ft. piece of land to house a members club building.
The building has to cater for a gym, toilets, recreational facilities , etc. and to be of a colonial architectural design, with functional architectural features, that will allow for proper ventilation, lighting and necessary support features for members/clients, etc.

Both of which have to be completed (good design drawings) within the next month.

Are you interested?

Pm me prices plz

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”