Forums

Building a house in Trinidad

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Ryan197912
3NE 2NR for life

Re: Building a house in Trinidad

Postby Ryan197912 » June 10th, 2020, 2:11 pm

Nexus wrote:Also sometimes they send the plans straight to the Corporation without letting you know. And corporation is where the headache is be....well i should say more headache.

X2
TCPD process is smooth and straightforward...if you use an experienced person.
Have to pass money in corporation..especially to get your completion certificate.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 10th, 2020, 3:16 pm

thelem-again wrote:100% correct.

And I'm speaking from experience. Did an application September 18th 2019. Was approved by T&C November 1st 2019. No grease hands. No favors. No civil engineer. Did my plans through an average yet experienced draughtsman/designer.
Proper planning is important.

adnj wrote:
stout wrote:Anyone have links in town and country....house plan already inside
If you meet the requirements with planned usage and design of proposed structure, you will receive a response within a few weeks. Otherwise, you will receive a defects list with issues to be corrected and resubmitted.

Every T&C slowdown that I have seen was due to improper land use, incorrect structure design, incorrect structure placement, incomplete submissions, or poorly drawn plans.

town and country is not the problem...when it reaches the cooperation, well good lord....them building inspectors :|

kas1992
Riding on 13's

Postby kas1992 » June 10th, 2020, 5:50 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:Wheres a good option for galvanize these days?

I down to choosing between varma and bhagwansingh. Varma is $5 per foot more though.

Where bhagwansingh does get their galvanize from?

Ramlagan was cheapest but i hear their price match the quality...
You can check George Sheet Works in Malabar

kas1992
Riding on 13's

Postby kas1992 » June 10th, 2020, 5:51 pm

Good day all, what size steel could be use for the foundation of a flat house?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 10th, 2020, 5:56 pm

and for leasehold areas like woodbrook
it could be real pressure

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:
thelem-again wrote:100% correct.

And I'm speaking from experience. Did an application September 18th 2019. Was approved by T&C November 1st 2019. No grease hands. No favors. No civil engineer. Did my plans through an average yet experienced draughtsman/designer.
Proper planning is important.

adnj wrote:
stout wrote:Anyone have links in town and country....house plan already inside
If you meet the requirements with planned usage and design of proposed structure, you will receive a response within a few weeks. Otherwise, you will receive a defects list with issues to be corrected and resubmitted.

Every T&C slowdown that I have seen was due to improper land use, incorrect structure design, incorrect structure placement, incomplete submissions, or poorly drawn plans.

town and country is not the problem...when it reaches the cooperation, well good lord....them building inspectors :|

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » June 10th, 2020, 6:22 pm

kas1992 wrote:Good day all, what size steel could be use for the foundation of a flat house?

5/8 HT rebars and 3/8 mild for stirrups and you good to go . If HT is used for stirrups , you have to understand the use of a minimum bending radius per size of the steel rebars. Your builder should also observe the stirrup placement as per the drawing . I've seen builders using undersized steel and also wrong spacing of stirrups . The catchphrase is , dat go wuk so .

kas1992
Riding on 13's

Postby kas1992 » June 10th, 2020, 6:45 pm

I was told 1/2 was fine...so that's failure then?
rspann wrote:
kas1992 wrote:Good day all, what size steel could be use for the foundation of a flat house?

5/8 HT rebars and 3/8 mild for stirrups and you good to go . If HT is used for stirrups , you have to understand the use of a minimum bending radius per size of the steel rebars. Your builder should also observe the stirrup placement as per the drawing . I've seen builders using undersized steel and also wrong spacing of stirrups . The catchphrase is , dat go wuk so .

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 10th, 2020, 6:47 pm

what about height location of the rebar within the concrete being cast?

kas1992
Riding on 13's

Postby kas1992 » June 10th, 2020, 6:56 pm

Can't remember nuh, but will the half inch be an issue?
pugboy wrote:what about height location of the rebar within the concrete being cast?

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » June 10th, 2020, 7:02 pm

pugboy wrote:what about height location of the rebar within the concrete being cast?

Ent bone does be in the center of flesh?

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » June 10th, 2020, 7:05 pm

kas1992 wrote:Can't remember nuh, but will the half inch be an issue?

Half inch good for the slab .

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » June 10th, 2020, 7:21 pm

kas1992 wrote:I was told 1/2 was fine...so that's failure then?
rspann wrote:

The minimum steel that is recommended is 1/2" but that depends on design and load. I have never seen anything smaller than 5/8" specified by a structural engineer.

The mat should have more than 3" of concrete below it.

Take any of this with a grain of salt.

TTS599 has all this info for $300.

kas1992
Riding on 13's

Postby kas1992 » June 10th, 2020, 7:51 pm

Ok bro thanks
adnj wrote:
rspann wrote:

The minimum steel that is recommended is 1/2" but that depends on design and load. I have never seen anything smaller than 5/8" specified by a structural engineer.

The mat should have more than 3" of concrete below it.

Take any of this with a grain of salt.

TTS599 has all this info for $300.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 10th, 2020, 9:52 pm

Not all. For example your shin bone is very close to the skin and not in the center of the flesh. Same for your knuckles.... *exits thread*
rspann wrote:

Ent bone does be in the center of flesh?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 10th, 2020, 10:04 pm

Remember you are talking about a foundation. Don't chinks here. The proper size of steel and concrete cover provides the structural support for you house. Through the steel, you get the tensile and shear strength... The concrete gives compressive strength. This combination gives a good mix to withstand many forms of earth movement.

Chinks on the steel, you compromise on the tensile and shear strength and your foundation can crack or worse yet completely shear. Chinks on the concrete and the concrete cover on the steel and the same result can happen. A minimum of 2" concrete cover on steel is required. Anything less and you are compromising on overall strength of that part of your house that is supporting your house.

And don't forget the mats for spreading the load to the earth.

That standard adjn referenced is a good reference as it defines our building code for our country which is in an earthquake and hurricane zone.
rspann wrote:

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 10th, 2020, 10:11 pm

Minimum should be 2" of concrete cover. So a 12" x 12" beam (or column) ought to have the steel in a 8" X 8" pattern.

For a floor slab of a house though, BRC is acceptable as the floor is not load bearing. Decking is a different story as steel is needed, usually 5/8" and 1/2" in a grid.

Driveways should be designed as load bearing, so use steel, 1/2" minimum, 4" thick, minimum, 5" preferred. If you plan to roll heavy equipment, consider 5000psi concrete.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » June 10th, 2020, 10:20 pm

I tired see men just drop the rebar setup into the channel cut into the ground

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » June 11th, 2020, 1:23 pm

pugboy wrote:I tired see men just drop the rebar setup into the channel cut into the ground

na bai dat go wuk jus so

nemisis
punchin NOS

Postby nemisis » June 11th, 2020, 3:02 pm

Any one has any feedback on this contractor

https://www.facebook.com/pg/BildaBoyzCo ... d/reviews/

Prices look attractive. I have some cracks appearing on the house and I want to do some yard work to make it look more presentable, paving it so that its uniform , changing front wall etc

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » June 12th, 2020, 1:03 pm

I'm in the market for a new refridgerator.Is there any place up north side that is worth checking?I already have most of the places in central and south to check i.e. Fens,Reliable,American Stores,Courts etc.Feel free to add any place regardless of location if you think its worth checking.

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 12th, 2020, 3:39 pm

supercharged turbo wrote:I'm in the market for a new refridgerator.Is there any place up north side that is worth checking?I already have most of the places in central and south to check i.e. Fens,Reliable,American Stores,Courts etc.Feel free to add any place regardless of location if you think its worth checking.

Reliable
Lewis Appliances

mainly because of warranty and parts

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » June 12th, 2020, 3:41 pm

nemisis wrote:Any one has any feedback on this contractor

https://www.facebook.com/pg/BildaBoyzCo ... d/reviews/

Prices look attractive. I have some cracks appearing on the house and I want to do some yard work to make it look more presentable, paving it so that its uniform , changing front wall etc

believe it or not....a damm good contractor is the man behind DG Homes...take a look at their work on the book of faces

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 12th, 2020, 8:59 pm

TBH, I think you have exhausted all the options. The only one I didn't see on your list is Parts World Ltd. But at the end of the day, if you check Central or North, you'd end up seeing different branches of the same places you've already visited.

Lewis Appliances has stellar customer service which imo is second to none elsewhere. However, their prices are among the highest, if not the highest I have ever seen.

I've heard ppl talk about Ramlagan's in Balmain. I usually go to the hardware section but know of people who bought appliances there. You can give it a try if you wish.

Bottom line is that I'd say it's not worth the time shopping around. If you see something you like, go thru. Warranty and service is something to consider as well, which is where places like PWL, Reliable and Lewis do well (having had experiences with each). PTN Reliable is reliable (no pun intended ( as long as the appliance is under warranty. Once it's out of warranty it's ketch arse to get them to come. I had that experience with a dryer and ended up ordering the parts on partselect and repairing myself.
supercharged turbo wrote:I'm in the market for a new refridgerator.Is there any place up north side that is worth checking?I already have most of the places in central and south to check i.e. Fens,Reliable,American Stores,Courts etc.Feel free to add any place regardless of location if you think its worth checking.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » June 12th, 2020, 9:03 pm

Standards have good brands and reasonable prices . I don’t know if they on
BLM’s boycott list though.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 13th, 2020, 10:30 am

Guys. I am posting in this ched for now unless I choose to start a new one.

Doing some yard work now. I dug out about 115 SF of Zoysia Turf. Each piece is in about 6-8 inches of good soil which was recently fertilised.

Asking price is $2000 for all. Come with your transport.

Anyone interested or know someone who is?

Some pieces may be brown due to lack of a lil sun as they've been covered since Wednesday. But the grass will still grow.

Call if interested in 682-5003.

1592058647372.jpeg

rayrayray
Street 2NR

Postby rayrayray » June 13th, 2020, 10:22 pm

Good night all. Does anywhere in Trinidad do glass garage doors as in the image attached?
Please let me know if any one is aware.
Point me in the direction if you do.
IMG-20200613-WA0007.jpeg

2ndchance
Sweet on this forum

Postby 2ndchance » June 14th, 2020, 1:48 pm

Hello guys. Just did a driveway but a dog walked on the wet concrete leaving some deep footprints. What do you recommend to fix?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » June 14th, 2020, 2:04 pm

2ndchance wrote:Hello guys. Just did a driveway but a dog walked on the wet concrete leaving some deep footprints. What do you recommend to fix?
Make certain that the prints are flat or slightly concave.
Mix 3 parts sharp sand to 1 part cement.
Add enough water to make it workable.
Fill the prints and let dry until firm.
Smooth and feather the fill into the surrounding concrete while sprinkling water on the surface as necessary.

For older concrete, prep with PVA and amend the concrete mix as indicated on the label.

2ndchance
Sweet on this forum

Postby 2ndchance » June 14th, 2020, 2:32 pm

I'm concerned about the patchwork separating or cracking and lifting out after a while. Will the PVA act like a glue?
adnj wrote:
2ndchance wrote:Hello guys. Just did a driveway but a dog walked on the wet concrete leaving some deep footprints. What do you recommend to fix?
Smooth and feather the fill into the surrounding concrete while sprinkling water on the surface as necessary.

For older concrete, prep with PVA and amend the concrete mix as indicated on the label.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » June 14th, 2020, 2:48 pm

2ndchance wrote:I'm concerned about the patchwork separating or cracking and lifting out after a while. Will the PVA act like a glue?
adnj wrote:

If the concrete is less than about 90 days old, you may not need it. PVA is inexpensive and will add adhesion. If you want to use it, go ahead.

PVA (polyvinyl acetate) is indeed an adhesive and is the same as white school glue, Elmer's glue and indoor carpenter's glue.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”