Re: PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby Captain Awesome » November 1st, 2020, 5:00 am

Dohplaydat wrote:AMD winning the price and performance battle! Damn

Source?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 1st, 2020, 9:14 pm

I bought a 27" FHD Samsung curved from Wizz for $2095 (lil pricey, yes, but really pleased with it). Really gorgeous and for what it'll be used for, multiple windows can be tiled and used effortlessly, thereby negating the need for two monitors.

The guy at Wizz gave me a good option as well. I asked if I was not pleased with the monitor whether I could return for something else. Guy said sure, as long as everything was intact and in pristine condition. There's no need for that though as I'll be keeping it.

As a bonus, this monitor has holes at the rear for VESA mount and the Zotac came with a VESA mount bracket and screws. So, it's obvious what I did...

System is setup and ready for acid test this week. So far I am pleased as is the wifey. My only complaint is that the PC does not have speakers, which would have been nice when I set it up. But we are using a headset anyways and the monitor has a 3.5mm jack for connecting some speakers if needed. I have a UEBoom wireless speaker and this also has a 3.5mm which I connected to the monitor and voila... Sound. (Connection between PC and monitor is HDMI).
maj. tom wrote:
carluva wrote:maj. tom

I got the Zotac today and set it up with the 16 GB ram and ssd.

Boot time is fast and drivers all work. Neat lil footprint as well. Hardware easy to install and windows 10 install was smooth.

Landed cost for the PC was US$24. No taxes. Shipped with Aeropost. Got it delivered to skybox last Wednesday and received items in hand today.

So the Zotac, ram, ssd, webcam and Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse cost me US$635. Landed cost for those items which came in 4 packages was US$62. Total Landed cost for the PC TT$4,732. Not bad at all as similarly spec'd name brand systems in small or mini form factors were > the US$635, primarily because of the size of ram I wanted.

I have to buy two monitors now. Any ideas where I can get two Full HD monitors, possibly touch screen, to purchase locally? I don't want to bring in thru skybox as I received a cracked screen TV twice already (once with skybox, the other with sea freight when a friend sent one for me), and don't want the headache of this again.

Good link there man. Thanks again...

You can use a 43" 4K TV with Chroma 4.4.4 subsampling for a monitor. Not any regular 4K spec, has to be 4.4.4, not 4.2.2. The link above has tested 4K TVs.

A 4K monitor would be the best, but pricey option locally. I've seen some selling locally and they're not cheap, and more for gaming and photoshop/video editing. I wouldn't spend money on a 4K monitor for my purposes. And i doubt you getting 4k touch screen. The Zotac has a displayport for HD monitors, and the Wizz has the cable for it. And run the 2nd monitor on the HDMI. Or you can use the HDMI output for audio to a dedicated 5.1/7.1 decoder. You can get 1080p monitors at Wizz too, check their website. I have one and i do notice the difference in YouTube 1080p vs 4K. I'm seeing Acer 32" and 27". But personally, i will choose a 43" 4K TV Chroma 4.4.4 for my next PC. I'm not a gamer, so it would work for me.

zorced
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zorced » November 1st, 2020, 9:23 pm

carluva wrote:I bought a 27" FHD Samsung curved from Wizz for $2095 (lil pricey, yes, but really pleased with it). Really gorgeous and for what it'll be used for, multiple windows can be tiled and used effortlessly, thereby negating the need for two monitors.

The guy at Wizz gave me a good option as well. I asked if I was not pleased with the monitor whether I could return for something else. Guy said sure, as long as everything was intact and in pristine condition. There's no need for that though as I'll be keeping it.

As a bonus, this monitor has holes at the rear for VESA mount and the Zotac came with a VESA mount bracket and screws. So, it's obvious what I did...

System is setup and ready for acid test this week. So far I am pleased as is the wifey. My only complaint is that the PC does not have speakers, which would have been nice when I set it up. But we are using a headset anyways and the monitor has a 3.5mm jack for connecting some speakers if needed. I have a UEBoom wireless speaker and this also has a 3.5mm which I connected to the monitor and voila... Sound. (Connection between PC and monitor is HDMI).
maj. tom wrote:

Boot time is fast and drivers all work. Neat lil footprint as well. Hardware easy to install and windows 10 install was smooth.

Landed cost for the PC was US$24. No taxes. Shipped with Aeropost. Got it delivered to skybox last Wednesday and received items in hand today.

So the Zotac, ram, ssd, webcam and Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse cost me US$635. Landed cost for those items which came in 4 packages was US$62. Total Landed cost for the PC TT$4,732. Not bad at all as similarly spec'd name brand systems in small or mini form factors were > the US$635, primarily because of the size of ram I wanted.

I have to buy two monitors now. Any ideas where I can get two Full HD monitors, possibly touch screen, to purchase locally? I don't want to bring in thru skybox as I received a cracked screen TV twice already (once with skybox, the other with sea freight when a friend sent one for me), and don't want the headache of this again.

You can use a 43" 4K TV with Chroma 4.4.4 subsampling for a monitor. Not any regular 4K spec, has to be 4.4.4, not 4.2.2. The link above has tested 4K TVs.

A 4K monitor would be the best, but pricey option locally. I've seen some selling locally and they're not cheap, and more for gaming and photoshop/video editing. I wouldn't spend money on a 4K monitor for my purposes. And i doubt you getting 4k touch screen. The Zotac has a displayport for HD monitors, and the Wizz has the cable for it. And run the 2nd monitor on the HDMI. Or you can use the HDMI output for audio to a dedicated 5.1/7.1 decoder. You can get 1080p monitors at Wizz too, check their website. I have one and i do notice the difference in YouTube 1080p vs 4K. I'm seeing Acer 32" and 27". But personally, i will choose a 43" 4K TV Chroma 4.4.4 for my next PC. I'm not a gamer, so it would work for me.

Tbh that seems like a great price especially considering their other prices. What model #?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » November 1st, 2020, 9:45 pm

2.1 Bluetooth Soundbar. Configure with Windows 10 Sonic or Dolby add on.
Some monitors have speakers as default with HDMI. My AOC has speakers. Dunno if your monitor has too.

If you're mounting the unit behind on the monitor, it would help to have a Lasko fan on it for really hot days. My unit operates comfortably at around 65C, but gets up to 90 if push it hard with graphics. Remember it's passive cooling. The system froze once while trying to do some video edit processing and rebooted itself and I figured that it had got too hot and had a failsafe.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 1st, 2020, 10:59 pm

C27F390FHL specifically but C27F390FH* in the manual. (I guess L for Latin American region).
zorced wrote:
carluva wrote:I bought a 27" FHD Samsung curved from Wizz for $2095 (lil pricey, yes, but really pleased with it). Really gorgeous and for what it'll be used for, multiple windows can be tiled and used effortlessly, thereby negating the need for two monitors.

maj. tom wrote:

Tbh that seems like a great price especially considering their other prices. What model #?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 1st, 2020, 11:01 pm

Nah, this monitor does not have speakers.
Odd tho, it has a volume control but that adjusts the volume from the device connected to the 3.5mm output of the monitor.
maj. tom wrote:2.1 Bluetooth Soundbar. Configure with Windows 10 Sonic or Dolby add on.
Some monitors have speakers as default with HDMI. My AOC has speakers. Dunno if your monitor has too.

If you're mounting the unit behind on the monitor, it would help to have a Lasko fan on it for really hot days. My unit operates comfortably at around 65C, but gets up to 90 if push it hard with graphics. Remember it's passive cooling. The system froze once while trying to do some video edit processing and rebooted itself and I figured that it had got too hot and had a failsafe.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » November 1st, 2020, 11:04 pm

When you say you pushed the graphics hard, what were you doing? Gaming or video editing?
maj. tom wrote:2.1 Bluetooth Soundbar. Configure with Windows 10 Sonic or Dolby add on.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » November 1st, 2020, 11:16 pm

The editing is not a problem. It is processing it for output. Was editing several videos for 4K output. 4K video encoding is high power usage. It's like rendering CGI. Playback 4K however is no problem for your unit.

ulquiorra.tt
Ricer

Postby ulquiorra.tt » November 2nd, 2020, 4:04 am

kukulook wrote:
ulquiorra.tt wrote:Thanks a lot for the writeup. Have you got a link to that specific build you mentioned, the "3600/16gbram/500gb ssd/rtx 3070 for 1035 bucks after 5% coupon"? Their site has a lot of options to go through, is that a custom build you were configuring? That config I think would be ideal for them, once it has room for a 2nd HDD to be added (I expect it would).

Yes I was looking at a smaller case (mid tower) but those seem very few between the majority being full tower. I'll try to see if they can hold on til black friday sale. The laptop sounds good but it's to specifically replace a desktop setup and they don't need to move around with it, so that won't be as practical in the long run despite the lower shipping costs.

Also, what else can you tell me about that Alienware? Did that person buy it from a US site and ship to skybox, or is that buying from our region's Dell directly? I was looking at the offerings on dell.com/tt but their Alienware Aurora seems very steeply priced, and no listings yet for the 3000 series cards. I'm a little unclear on how Dell sells to Trinidad now. I see the site has options to buy, but I've also been told that they sell through local resellers like Diamond Systems and Next Technology now. Would contacting one of those two companies for a price be an option as well, and get local warranty on it?

elec bought the alienware from amazon.com. you could buy from dell us too but 7% sales tax is a no bueno coupled with their prices.

That 1035 deal is gone. It was a customization of their EVO MINI series. I think they got smart and jacked up the prices. Here is a similar configuration but costs a bit more. You could still get -5% after you apply the code HALLOWEEN http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1MYNJN.

You should customize it to your liking. here is a few things you could consider adding/upgrading:

different case
+40 for 32gb ram
+20 for the foam protection (will come in handy when this pc is shipped)
+33 for 1TB 665p SSD over 500gb. If you prefer a HDD, i recommend buying a 4-8TB external HDD from amazon and shuck it. they are usually the cheapest per tb. buying 1-2tb hardly makes sense since they cost like 30-40 per tb.

i don't know how long you are willing to wait but the best time to buy is the week leading up to black friday/black friday that is when they offer all their deals together. Ryzen 5000 will also be out by then but to be honest, their 6c/12t chip costs 300 bucks so you will likely have to pay more, not sure what your budget is. Their radeon chips aren't cheap either as they start at $580 so i don't think it is a huge loss if you buy now. The next thing to consider is that you likely will not get your build until next year if you order so late.

I thought it would be better to move this from the skybox thread at this point.

From working with configurators online, it seems most of the time a 3070 machine comes up to $1400ish, sometimes as low as $12XX, so will keep an eye out for if anything under $1100 comes up again. Thanks for the info about the EVO MINI (and that direct config link), I was able to find the page directly after a search, that size looks good. Budget wise I think $1400 for a RTX 3070 system is reasonable but keep an eye out for discounts, might be willing to go higher in a couple cases (see below).

For the hard drive a 500GB NVME would work, there's already an SSD they can add as a secondary for more space. I'm not as familiar with the AMD processors, is the Ryzen 5 3600 powerful enough to keep up with an RTX 3070 or might it eventually become a bottleneck?

For the other options, I'm seeing an RTX 2080 Alienware on Amazon for $2000. I'm also seeing the Zotac brand has something called a Mek Mini, size wise that one is really good as it's less than 11" x11", and there's a RTX 2070S based one for $1700 USD (https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-i7 ... B081R3WKZR). The smaller size would be really ideal. Those might be options if either they come out with RTX 3070 versions soon, or the 2000 series gets a good discount or something. Thoughts on the Zotac Mek Mini?

Right now I will keep monitoring this throughout the month and see what sales lead up to and land on black friday, I'm hoping by then the Alienware and Zotak Mek Mini come out with 3070 machines and are options as well. Yes, I've told the person it's for it might not reach til next year if waiting til black friday (at least the cyberpower pc, the ones from amazon are hopefully as is ready to ship). I think holding on to let the 3000 series settle a bit is worth it though.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » November 18th, 2020, 11:50 am

Anyone still gaming on a 1080ti here? How's the performance on games like warzone?? There's a kid I want to put together a little pc for this Christmas

Spitfir3
punchin NOS

Postby Spitfir3 » November 20th, 2020, 12:23 pm

nick639v2 wrote:Anyone still gaming on a 1080ti here? How's the performance on games like warzone?? There's a kid I want to put together a little pc for this Christmas

1080ti is still a VERY good gpu
it'll max out and give high fps in warzone easy once he not gaming at 4k or somn

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » November 21st, 2020, 9:32 am

Spitfir3 wrote:
nick639v2 wrote:Anyone still gaming on a 1080ti here? How's the performance on games like warzone?? There's a kid I want to put together a little pc for this Christmas

1080ti is still a VERY good gpu
it'll max out and give high fps in warzone easy once he not gaming at 4k or somn
Excellent, thanks bro.

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » November 21st, 2020, 3:55 pm

I have a water-cooled overclocked to 2038mhz getting on average 120-130fps on high settings

Resolution 3440x1440

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

PC Tech/Gaming Info Thread

Postby src1983 » December 4th, 2020, 12:31 am

Did a small update to my rig, waiting on a FE3090 and ek block for it

Last edited by src1983 on December 4th, 2020, 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » December 4th, 2020, 2:55 am

16GB DDR4 3000MHz RAM...…..works great...Corsair Vengeance kit

got the option of buying a 2nd kit for dog cheap......so now i have 32GB RAM :|

wtf do i do with it??? :roll:

my VMs barely even using the dam thing...

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » December 4th, 2020, 10:30 am

Would like to see some gameplay on this machine..
src1983 wrote:Did a small update to my rig, waiting on a FE3090 and ek block for it

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201204/c423fc92693432a1542c074dcedf52a4.jpg[/img]

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » December 4th, 2020, 10:54 am

Question: What in your opinion makes a gaming computer, A gaming computer.

I'm seeing everyone advertising systems for sale as gaming computers/budget gaming/midrange gaming parts etc.

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » December 4th, 2020, 4:42 pm

wtf wrote:Would like to see some gameplay on this machine..
src1983 wrote:Did a small update to my rig, waiting on a FE3090 and ek block for it]

These days all I playing is CoD.

src1983
18 pounds of Boost

Postby src1983 » December 4th, 2020, 4:48 pm

kamakazi wrote:Question: What in your opinion makes a gaming computer, A gaming computer.

I'm seeing everyone advertising systems for sale as gaming computers/budget gaming/midrange gaming parts etc.

Not much, but should have a GPU, can't be charging high prices on integrated graphics

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » December 4th, 2020, 9:21 pm

kamakazi wrote:Question: What in your opinion makes a gaming computer, A gaming computer.

In reality, mainly the GPU.
You could have the slowest i3, 8GB of the slowest RAM, and the most basic POS motherboard, but a mid to upper range card and while you might hit a bottleneck you will still be able to play game on higher settings.

Other hand, the fastest i9K, 64GB of the fastest RAM, Aorus Elite or ROG Maximus motherboard, but you using IntelHD graphics and you might be lucky to play on the lowest settings.

Down here they might consider it a gaming computer by the amount of LEDs.
When they do have an actual computer that could play games the price markup is a problem.

Quality Tech Deals
Riding on 13's

Postby Quality Tech Deals » December 5th, 2020, 1:11 pm

Good cooling and GPU mainly unless seriously bottlenecked by the CPU. Modern CPU's seem to suffer far less from gaming obsolescence than GPUs.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » December 5th, 2020, 2:37 pm

Quality Tech Deals wrote:

Good cooling and GPU mainly unless seriously bottlenecked by the CPU. Modern CPU's seem to suffer far less from gaming obsolescence than GPUs.

Agreed, but nowadays, getting at least a 6 core CPU makes sense. I've seen huge improvements in multitasking with my 8core Vs 4core CPU.

Also make sure it comes with at least a 512gb
NVMe SSD, 16gb of ram and good PSU.

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » December 5th, 2020, 4:53 pm

Excuse the wiring hadda clean up still
Mostly for editing and prog dev

Next one is much lower end build but it's for using RIP software etc for printing
IMG_20201123_125718.jpeg
Screenshot_20201205_165043_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpeg

Quality Tech Deals
Riding on 13's

Postby Quality Tech Deals » December 5th, 2020, 10:55 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:

Agreed, but nowadays, getting at least a 6 core CPU makes sense. I've seen huge improvements in multitasking with my 8core Vs 4core CPU.

For power user productivity yes but kamakazi asked about gaming, unless you mean gaming and streaming simultaneously like popular streamers.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » December 5th, 2020, 11:54 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:

For power user productivity yes but kamakazi asked about gaming, unless you mean gaming and streaming simultaneously like popular streamers.

You're probably right, but it's up to him.
There are just marginal improvements in gaming with 6 or more cores in most games. Games aren't CPU bound....yet.

fred1266
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby fred1266 » December 6th, 2020, 6:08 pm

has anyone hear ever heard of a program called Haste? if yes does it work

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » December 6th, 2020, 7:21 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

You're probably right, but it's up to him.
There are just marginal improvements in gaming with 6 or more cores in most games. Games aren't CPU bound....yet.

6 good if u running the lower end gpu or older gpu... only the best gpu taxing the cpu where u would get a smoother game play with 8 cores.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » December 7th, 2020, 6:20 am

anything that could play games is a gaming pc, i would consider anything over 3gb vram a gaming pc4 cores ect

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » December 7th, 2020, 11:28 am

The taxes on laptops starting back from January?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » December 7th, 2020, 4:36 pm

What triggered me was people selling individual parts and saying it is good for gaming. No one games on just a processor, or two sticks of memory.
A complete system is required to play games; board, CPU, memory, storage, GPU, various input and output devices.

I see some decent parts powered by AGILER. Good luck if you use these PSUs in your system. I see integrated Intel graphics being called mid range gaming. I think I saw a gaming rig being sold with the GPU removed. Is it still a gaming system then... Maybe, but only if it suits the games you play.

And by extension... Marketing putting gaming and enthusiast in front of everything being sold. What makes this keyboard a gaming keyboard; I play video games with it... That is all
What makes this gaming motherboard better for gaming... The fact that it has the word gaming written on it.
Fancy gaming cases with LEDfans that have little to no air flow(i'm thinking specifically about NZXT here but almost all of them have done something similar)

I understand that there is a game for almost every level of PC but some people are just a bit optimistic

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”