Forums

On the topic of SQUATTERS in Trinidad & Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: On the topic of SQUATTERS in Trinidad & Tobago

Postby timelapse » April 29th, 2021, 3:40 pm

If international borders cant stop squatters, what's a sheet of galvanize?

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » July 7th, 2021, 6:22 pm

When squatters want to plant on yuh land, pull yuh gun...

Squatters served legal letter

ftitan
Street 2NR

Postby ftitan » July 7th, 2021, 8:05 pm

The_Honourable wrote:When squatters want to plant on yuh land, pull yuh gun...

This real common in new grant I hearing. A padna of mine there do a survey for his land because his neighbor keep planting shiet on it and reaping out all his stuff for the lockdown. When it's time for him to put up a fence he realize all the boundary iron move to way inside his land. And the neighbor plant a row of coconuts even further inside to show that it was always so.
A next one from new grant say if she plant a lil corn, ochro and peas seeds..they will let go all their chickens to dig it out and then spread their own seeds to say they plant it. And they more vex than you when you brace them for it. Flicking mad people yes.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » July 7th, 2021, 9:01 pm

ftitan wrote:This real common in new grant I hearing. A padna of mine there do a survey for his land because his neighbor keep planting shiet on it and reaping out all his stuff for the lockdown. When it's time for him to put up a fence he realize all the boundary iron move to way inside his land. And the neighbor plant a row of coconuts even further inside to show that it was always so.
A next one from new grant say if she plant a lil corn, ochro and peas seeds..they will let go all their chickens to dig it out and then spread their own seeds to say they plant it. And they more vex than you when you brace them for it. Flicking mad people yes.

It's a squatters rights/adverse possession tactic.

They usually plant up the land with an ulterior motive. If you are a squatter for example, you take pictures and have witnesses in the area see that you are/were on the lands. So when you go to court years later to plead your case, either by the owner trying to get you out but your defense is adverse possession, OR you apply as an adverse possessor unknown to the legal owner, you have pictures and witnesses lined up for your case to go thru.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » July 8th, 2021, 12:14 am

When squatters get their Certificate of Comfort,they allowed to buy the land after?

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » July 8th, 2021, 12:21 am

No, a CoC says that their right to "A" piece of land is recognised, not necessarily the piece they on.

Which is why a CoC just has a number and is not a legal title denoting interest in land.

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » July 8th, 2021, 12:25 am

ftitan wrote:
The_Honourable wrote:When squatters want to plant on yuh land, pull yuh gun...

This real common in new grant I hearing. A padna of mine there do a survey for his land because his neighbor keep planting shiet on it and reaping out all his stuff for the lockdown. When it's time for him to put up a fence he realize all the boundary iron move to way inside his land. And the neighbor plant a row of coconuts even further inside to show that it was always so.

It is a crime to move a boundary iron placed by a land surveyor. Raise hell.
https://rgd.legalaffairs.gov.tt/laws2/A ... /58.04.pdf
skip to Section IX 55.(1)(a)

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » July 8th, 2021, 12:46 am

Persons are rewarded for breaking the law in Trinidad.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » July 8th, 2021, 2:11 pm

Wraith King wrote:Persons are rewarded for breaking the law in Trinidad.

exactly and they go say they squatting so they cant pa property tax and they will get away with that too. i aint know why the man aint empty the clip and make an example to the rest of squatters. them squatters sounding like they leave the beetham to go south and claim land. what does the law say regarding shooting a trespasser and killing they MC?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » July 8th, 2021, 3:21 pm

If foreigners have rights to squat in our country, why our locals can't have the same rights?

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » July 8th, 2021, 5:45 pm

timelapse wrote:If foreigners have rights to squat in our country, why our locals can't have the same rights?

Neither has any right to break the law.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » July 9th, 2021, 6:42 am

daring dragoon wrote:
Wraith King wrote:Persons are rewarded for breaking the law in Trinidad.

exactly and they go say they squatting so they cant pa property tax and they will get away with that too. i aint know why the man aint make an example to the rest of squatters. them squatters sounding like they leave the beetham to go south and claim land. what does the law say regarding shooting a trespasser and killing they MC?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » July 9th, 2021, 7:03 am

Tell RedVajayjay that
Wraith King wrote:
timelapse wrote:If foreigners have rights to squat in our country, why our locals can't have the same rights?

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » July 9th, 2021, 9:22 am

timelapse wrote:Tell RedVajayjay that
Wraith King wrote:

Trinidad has a lot of persons with a Third World mentality. It's the main reason the politicians are of the lowest standard and can do as they please. The politicians are a reflection of the voting population. So when Keith goes up on a platform and proudly states he performs black magic and degrades women while other PNM politicians can make openly racist statements on public platforms, it is because their supporters have that same mentality.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » August 6th, 2021, 12:19 am

Homes bulldozed in Couva, but eTecK says it’s illegal occupation

Tears, anger and despair as residents in a squatting settlement at Savonetta, Couva, watched helplessly as their agricultural crops were bulldozed by eTecK yesterday morning.

During the demolition, two houses were also flattened.

While the homes of Agnes Warner and Carolyn Mc Inroy are still standing at Joseph Drive, they are worried that the bulldozers will be back.

“Allyuh doh care about nobody! Is COVID, is COVID, we can’t stay next to nobody, Jesus!,” cried Mc Inroy.

As she broke down in tears, Agnes Warner shouted, “They unfair. They too wicked. They do people an injustice. They do people these things.”

They said they have been living and planting crops on the land for more than two decades. In 2018, Mc Inroy and Warner said they applied to the Commissioner of State lands to get ownership. Meanwhile, Warner said EtecK informed them in March that they wanted the land for a project and first offered them relocation and then compensation. But, Waner and Mc Inroy rejected the offer.

“They want to give me like $80,000 and to me that is small money because remember is my livelihood. I selling on the road, I is go different places and sell meh crop. Up to yesterday, I pick baigan, I pick bodi, I pick Moko and I went and sell yesterday just to get a dollar,” said Warner. She said she has survived the pandemic by growing and selling short crops.

Warner said they have knocked on several doors, including the MP office, for help. In April they were served with eviction notices.

“They give me two weeks to evict the land, but to go where and to do what? And how I going to live? So they ent care about poor people.”

Couva South MP Rudy Indarsingh said he was not aware of the demolition but wrote to eTecK and the chairman was supposed to have got back to him about finding a solution but he didn’t.

“It seems to me that the company doesn’t care if people survive in this pandemic period. Might is right, we are in charge and we will do what we want. There is something called karma, the brazen and high handed actions of office holders will ultimately catch up with them.”

However, eTecK president Steve De Las said they had been in contact with the six occupiers of the land since 2018. He said the company has acted with a level of empathy and due diligence. He added the company worked with them in terms of assessment and estimates for the property, the crops and land they were planting on.

The occupiers, he said, also had legal guidance at a point in time.

“They accepted an offer in terms of Ms Warner and then she rejected the offer so it was a sort of back and forth.” He added that eTecK’s inquires revealed that they were not occupying all long as they claimed to be.

De Las said Warner and Mc Inroy demands were unreasonable but the company still wants to reach an amicable resolution.

He said the land was vested to eTecK to complete the Phoenix Park Industrial Estate.

Source: https://guardian.co.tt/news/homes-bulld ... c96d794d6d

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » August 6th, 2021, 12:24 am

Relocation and compensation turned down??
Squatters is ballers

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » August 6th, 2021, 12:53 am

You are all spelling TIEF wrong in this whole thread...

Wraith King
Riding on 18's

Postby Wraith King » August 6th, 2021, 3:39 am

Dizzy28 wrote:Relocation and compensation turned down??
Squatters is ballers

They said $80k is "small money". It seems they want to be paid the actual value for the land which they don't own and they expect the actual owner of the land to pay them this.
Attachments
20210804_120831.jpg

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » August 6th, 2021, 6:10 am

every one in pt lisas pulling out because of high natural gas prices or mothballing the plants and they want to expand the industrial estate to put who? people planting food to provide for TT and they want to destroy it. if sheit hit the fan and india
and guyana cannot export rice, brazil done hold exports of beans so it can feed its own citizens, canada get a heat wave that kill all the aloo, wheat, apples is luxury items, eddoes from st vincent covered in volcano ash, what will we in TT do to feel the citizen?
seeds come from foreign. do we even have a seed bank here in TT? farmers cant get water in dry season and too much water in rainy season with no compensation. caroni bread basket was left to waste, the mega farms unc started was closed. what we go do?

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » August 6th, 2021, 7:02 am

daring dragoon wrote:every one in pt lisas pulling out because of high natural gas prices or mothballing the plants and they want to expand the industrial estate to put who? people planting food to provide for TT and they want to destroy it. if sheit hit the fan and india
and guyana cannot export rice, brazil done hold exports of beans so it can feed its own citizens, canada get a heat wave that kill all the aloo, wheat, apples is luxury items, eddoes from st vincent covered in volcano ash, what will we in TT do to feel the citizen?
seeds come from foreign. do we even have a seed bank here in TT? farmers cant get water in dry season and too much water in rainy season with no compensation. caroni bread basket was left to waste, the mega farms unc started was closed. what we go do?

tief ppl land and plant eddoes

..and run the owners with cutlass when they come to move you
...and get all the neighbours to lie, saying you living there for 20yrs, because u purposely build an ole house looking like you living there for 20yrs

i hate land tiefs.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » August 6th, 2021, 7:06 am

daring dragoon wrote:every one in pt lisas pulling out because of high natural gas prices or mothballing the plants and they want to expand the industrial estate to put who? people planting food to provide for TT and they want to destroy it. if sheit hit the fan and india

I glad you asking this.
What we go do? You mean besides those that can afford to fly out and the majority of the ones that remain starve and go on our version of the Maduro diet?

Is YEARS now, I beating that drum, butvnobody want to listen. Ive said it before and I'll say it again. A nation that cannot feed itself cannot survive.
Ee have hundreds of acres of arable land, sitting idle and only growing elephant grass all over the place, land farmers can grow food on that would reduce our need for so much imported food. But for farmers to get a 10 year lease for those lands is like pulling teeth. It damn near impossible.

Trini like it so

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » August 6th, 2021, 7:14 am

88sins wrote:

I glad you asking this.
What we go do? You mean besides those that can afford to fly out and the majority of the ones that remain starve and go on our version of the Maduro diet?

Is YEARS now, I beating that drum, butvnobody want to listen. Ive said it before and I'll say it again. A nation that cannot feed itself cannot survive.
Ee have hundreds of acres of arable land, sitting idle and only growing elephant grass all over the place, land farmers can grow food on that would reduce our need for so much imported food. But for farmers to get a 10 year lease for those lands is like pulling teeth. It damn near impossible.

Trini like it so

Take Bull

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » August 6th, 2021, 7:43 am

This is not the Industrial Estate.
Phoenix Park Industrial Estate which is currently being built with Chinese money and by Beijing Construction is on the eastern side of SMR. It will be Light Industrial so not Pt Lisa's typical activities anyhow.
IMG_20210806_074206.jpg

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » August 6th, 2021, 8:45 am

Some squatters need to humble themselves and change their attitude of entitlement.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » August 6th, 2021, 9:40 am

Either that, or everybody squat

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » August 7th, 2021, 10:00 am

It doesn’t matter how long you have been ILLEGALLY on someone else’s property, it’s NOT yours, bulldoze Dey MC!- people in this tiny lil island really to f’king boldface, they occupying someone else’s land and want to demand rights to it … wtf wrong with people…. If something ain’t yours, don’t look for favors or pardon, get da f’k off quietly….

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » August 7th, 2021, 10:47 am

Ben_spanna wrote:It doesn’t matter how long you have been ILLEGALLY on someone else’s property, it’s NOT yours, bulldoze Dey MC!- people in this tiny lil island really to f’king boldface, they occupying someone else’s land and want to demand rights to it … wtf wrong with people…. If something ain’t yours, don’t look for favors or pardon, get da f’k off quietly….

I really detest land grabbers/squatters, especially the bold faced, wanna be criminal ones.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » August 7th, 2021, 11:11 am

timelapse wrote:Either that, or everybody squat

As far as the Government concerned, no matter that you spent yuh $$$ & have a deed, everybody is technically a squatter. Because if they want your land, they will eventually take it from you, whether you want to sell it or not, and sometimes without even consulting you about it.

Tgis is especially obvious when you delve into that bs land tax legislation that basically turns literally every homeowner into a tenant of the state

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » August 7th, 2021, 5:51 pm

`eminent domain` is always tricky
but if you're surprised you should look into the kinda powers lizzy has..

it's when your own neighbour TIEFing your land
putting up 'vege stall' on your land then claimin is theirs
I had a land tief try to take a thin strip of land from me, claimin its his because he plant on it
hate land tiefs.

88sins wrote:
timelapse wrote:Either that, or everybody squat

As far as the Government concerned, no matter that you spent yuh $$$ & have a deed, everybody is technically a squatter. Because if they want your land, they will eventually take it from you, whether you want to sell it or not, and sometimes without even consulting you about it.

Tgis is especially obvious when you delve into that bs land tax legislation that basically turns literally every homeowner into a tenant of the state

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » September 27th, 2022, 2:20 pm

Judge cautions landowners seeking to evict squatters

A High Court Judge has warned landowners to refrain from taking the law into their own hands when seeking to evict squatters.

Justice Frank Seepersad gave the advice onMonday as he determined a land dispute between Paramin farmer Mark Nicholas and landowner Nigel Cyrus over a one-acre parcel of land in Maraval.

While Seepersad ruled that Nicholas did not obtain title to the land through adverse possession, he did find that Cyrus trespassed on the land when he demolished Nicholas’ wooden shack, fruit trees and short-term crops without a court order last year.

“If he thought that he had title to the land, this is not the wild west and we live in a country where the rule of law operates. He ought to have come before the court and get an order for possession,” Seepersad said.

Although he noted that property owners are empowered to enforce their property rights without judicial intervention under the remedy of self-help, he stated that it did not apply in the case.

“Self-help is only available in the clearest of circumstances, where somebody moves on to your land yesterday and you come today and have them removed,” he said.

According to the evidence in the case, Nicholas claimed that he began occupying the land at Morne Coco Road in Maraval 37 years ago, after he was granted permission to grow short-term crops on it.

In 1989, Nicholas was told he was in breach of the lease, as he had planted fruit trees and constructed the wooden structure. Nicholas remained in possession of the land until 2020, when Cyrus moved to forcibly evict him.

In determining the case, Seepersad ruled that Nicholas could not benefit from adverse possession, as he had not clearly defined the parcel of land he was claiming control of by fencing or demarcating it.

He also ruled that while Nicholas claimed that he installed an extensive irrigation system on the land, he failed to produce evidence of it.

In deciding on the compensation Nicholas should receive for the damage to his structure and crops, Seepersad rejected a $150,000 valuation, as he noted that the valuator did not give evidence before him to be deemed as an expert.

In the absence of the evidence, Seepersad ordered $15,000 in nominal damages.

Nicholas was represented by Keon Gonzales.

Source: https://www.guardian.co.tt/news/judge-c ... 976352b7bb

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”