Forums

Where were you during the 1990 Coup?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

pugboy
TunerGod

Re: REMEMBER JULY 27th 1990.

Postby pugboy » July 27th, 2019, 1:39 pm

in another country civilians would not be allowed to make military decisions against terrorists
the legal "experts" would not cook up a fake amnesty which would backfire
and keep it quiet still after all this time

imagine the main lawyer is a big boy in the ccj now
better stick with privy council yes

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:In another country YAB and his 114 would all be dead

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Postby Monk BANzai » July 27th, 2019, 2:31 pm

The_Honourable wrote:Abu Bakr to release video for 1990 coup's 29th anniversary

Photo: Screenshot taken from an interview with 'Vice' in 2014.

Leader of the Western world's only Islamist coup, Imam Yasin Abu Bakr, will be releasing his own account of the fateful events of July 27, 1990.

Speaking to LoopTT, Bakr, who was spotted with son Fuad Abu Bakr and a videographer outside of TTT headquarters earlier this week, said that the video is being done for the younger generation who would have been too young to have witnessed these events.

"We need to do a preview for people as a reminder of what happened (in July 27, 1990) and the misunderstandings that went along with it. We're trying to explain to (young people) what happened, even my son (Fuad Abu Bakr) was just four years old when it happened," he said.

The Jamaat-al-Muslimeen leader also made mention of the case of Bernadette James, who allegedly saw NAR national security ministers Sel­wyn Richard­son and Her­bert Atwell in a room at Pi­ar­co Air­port with what appeared to be co­caine. The incident is said to have been one of the factors which led to the 1990 coup.

James was shot and killed during a training exercise in 1987 - her death was ruled as an accident.

"Things like that must not be allowed to happen again. This situation did balance the scale a bit and now politicians will be more careful...in following the rule of law," he said.

When asked what his thoughts were on the public's view of him, Bakr said the truth would be revealed.

"Do you think Jesus was a good man? And didn't they leave Barabbas (alive)? It depends on what they tell you. In the end, the truth will always come out."

Bakr was also recorded in a 2014 interview with Vice, saying that the gang violence which is taking place today is part of a 'holistic problem'.

"This place is going to explode...it's a tinder box," he said.

The video will be released on July 27, 2019.

Source: http://www.looptt.com/content/abu-bakr- ... nniversary

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » July 27th, 2019, 2:48 pm

So he release d video yet?

speedmelter
18 pounds of Boost

REMEMBER JULY 27th 1990.

Postby speedmelter » July 27th, 2019, 6:35 pm

redmanjp wrote:So he release d video yet?

Maybe we ought to tune in to TTT news at seven and we gona see video tonight?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » July 27th, 2019, 7:02 pm

Aye aye, I don't want to see that man face during MacGyver again eh!

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » July 27th, 2019, 7:31 pm

Video my toti.
No station gonna air it, the number of locals willing to own a copy won't justify the cost of provision, and if the view stats on YouTube don't make them sad, the comments will.

In a country not run by dildos, the 1990 Christmas gift to the nation would have been Muslimeen hanging from the rafters.

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » July 27th, 2019, 11:15 pm

When you let Islam run rampant. Feed all them pork

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » July 28th, 2019, 11:49 am

Won't be something new, many already consume pork.

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » July 28th, 2019, 12:13 pm

Heard Abu goes for second rounds when the souse reach.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » July 28th, 2019, 12:30 pm

Bakr 1990 video part of bigger project

Jamaat Al Muslimeen leader Yasin Abu Bakr and his followers outside the Hall of Justice Port of Spain on April 12, 2018.

IF you were anticipating the release of a video from Imam Yasin Abu Bakr, the man behind the 1990 failed coup, you will have to wait a bit longer as the video, part of a larger project has been pushed back to another date.

Bakr's son Fuad, the spokesman for the project, said his father did not decide to revise the release from yesterday’s 29th anniversary of the coup attempt to another day because of any negative public sentiments.

Fuad Abu Bakr

“The imam is not someone faint at heart or fickle, he is 77-years-old and has been through the test of time and the test of society in TT. He is not fazed or directed by negative sentiments... It is part of a bigger project that the imam has embarked upon to tell his life story which is beyond the event of July 27. We just thought it would have been nice at that point since we are in production to give the public a snippet of their history from a different perspective,” Fuad said.

Fuad said of his father’s public perception: “Quite a while there were negative comments not just towards the imam but the event so I can understand why there is a lot of negative sentiment. For sure that is not the total sentiment. That did not influence the decision whatsoever.”

SNAPSHOT OF HISTORY: Imam Yasin Abu Bakr addresses a stunned nation on July 27, 1990, 'live' on TTT, announcing that the Jamaat al Muslimeen was in control of the country.

He added: “A lot of people are uninformed and they go with whatever is trending and fashion is something that changes and even opinions and ideas are subjected to fashion nowadays. One day you will hear an idea is trending in a certain way and everybody, what we call everybody, which is hard to measure but a lot of people saying one thing and tomorrow based on the change in fashion the pervading and popular view becomes something different.

Bakr had told LoopTT last week saying he wanted his side of the story told. During a commission of enquiry into the attempted coup in 2013, Abu Bakr refused to testify stating that he should be paid to testify since he was the architect of the insurrection. He also stated he had other cases pending and wished not to prejudice those cases by testifying in the commission of enquiry.

Source: https://newsday.co.tt/2019/07/28/bakr-1 ... r-project/

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » July 17th, 2020, 11:41 am

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Abu Bakr offers apology for 1990 coup attempt, explains uprising

ON THE cusp of its 30th anniversary, Jamaat al Muslimeen leader Imam Yasin Abu Bakr has apologised for the traumatic effects the 1990 attempted coup had on the country.

Bakr is challenging a decision to pursue a criminal complaint against him after he refused to answer a summons to testify before the commission of enquiry into the 1990 attempted coup. In an affidavit, he not only apologises but also gives reasons for the uprising which claimed the lives of over 20 people and led to widespread looting in the nation’s capital.

Then Prime Minister ANR Robinson and other parliamentarians were held hostage in the Red House, as were TTT staff at the television station. Much of downtown Port of Spain was destroyed or damaged as fires were set in looted out stores, malls and other buildings.

Bakr says the country has also spent millions enquiring into the events of 1990, and he believes it is now necessary for him to provide answers. “By way of this affidavit, I shall answer. I believe that it is necessary at this stage,” he said.

The Muslimeen leader says he also believes it will help “heal the nation and foster national consensus” on the criminal justice system, and the systemic failures of investigations into extra-judicial police killings. “I hope you understand my rationale behind the 1990 events,” he wrote after explaining the reasoning behind it.

‘DEFENDER OF THE PEOPLE’

He added, “For all the pain I caused the nation I am sorry. Now it is time for closure.” He also says he wants his legacy to be known as that of the “defender of the people of TT.”

Bakr’s lawsuit names Director of Public Prosecutions Roger Gaspard, SC, as the defendant. In his affidavit, Bakr addresses him by name.

“So, in short Mr Gaspard, what caused the coup: (a) extra-legal, arbitrary and/or summary executions by the TTPS; (b) a corrupt government; (c) ripe conditions of social unrest.

“As a country, we must guard against all three categories individually and collectively. Also, please consider that I am very much concerned that there may be killer gangs in existence in the TT Police Service masquerading as TTPS officers. That also may have been a reason for my non-attendance at the commission. A witness in fear of the TTPS.

“But I am a lion, a smart lion, but now is my time to speak,” he said. Bakr said there was “a series of events culminating in the coup d’état on July 27th, 1990.” He spoke of evidence he said he had of high-profile people involved in the drug trade, police killings, and social unrest.

In his affidavit, Bakr describes the DPP as a “good man” who should not remain silent, and also called for problems facing the Police Complaints Authority to be addressed so the “systemic failures in the police service” can be properly investigated. Bakr failed to appear before the commission on two occasions — August 29, 2012, and also September 23, 2013.

On the first occasion, Bakr cited an ongoing case against him in the High Court, and the second time he said he would appear only if he was paid to give evidence.

The private summons, filed by the secretary to the commission, is now before the magistrates’ court and an in-person case management hearing is set for July 20 to set a date for the hearing of the matter “before the month of August.” Magistrate Sarah De Silva is presiding.

Last week, Bakr’s attorneys filed a judicial review application, which will be heard on Friday by Justice Nadia Kangaloo at a virtual hearing.

Bakr is seeking a declaration that the continuation of the prosecution of him is irrational and tantamount to an abuse of process. He wants an order to stay the matter in the magistrates’ court.

FACING $2,000 FINE

According to the application, although the commission referred the matter to DPP Roger Gaspard, who took the position he would not lay charges against Bakr, it went ahead and filed the private criminal complaints in accordance with the Commission of Enquiry Act.

The matter was first heard, and the testimony taken before then chief magistrate Marcia Ayers-Caesar. It was one of the part-heard matters before her, and was transferred to a new magistrate.

However, the application says the DPP had the power to discontinue, at any stage before judgment is delivered, criminal proceedings instituted by either himself or any other person or authority.

It also contended that the effect of the covid19 pandemic on an already overburdened trial courts was unpredictable, confusing and complex and from a practical perspective, there was the issue of delay.

In his affidavit in support of the application, Bakr said he failed to attend the commission hearing because it had the potential to prejudice his then ongoing trial for sedition. The trial ended in a hung jury and a new trial was ordered.

“I was placed in a double jeopardy position, damned if I do and damned if I do not,” he said. He mentions the amnesty he received in 1990 and his success at the Privy Council in relation to his continued prosecution over the failed coup. If found guilty, Bakr faces a fine of $2,000.

He says he still owes fees to his previous attorney, Wayne Sturge, and his current one, Criston J Williams.

Bakr has also taken issue with the hearing of the matter in person, since, he says, he is a 79-year-old diabetic. “I am a lion, but this is covid19 season. I am extremely susceptible to contracting this virus. I am very concerned.

“Why is there this seemingly rush to do my case before elections in August. Is it a public spectacle the powers that be wished to have with me going to court in this covid19 season, that just happens to coincide with the 30th anniversary of the 1990 Coup?”

Source: https://newsday.co.tt/2020/07/16/abu-ba ... -uprising/

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 17th, 2020, 11:58 am

Not accepted from that pest

death365
Riding on 18's

Postby death365 » July 17th, 2020, 1:16 pm

we have a lot of person trained as snipers!!! but no we as a country so stupid that man still alive

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » July 17th, 2020, 1:51 pm

He could apologise by swinging from a tree with some rope in Woodford Square.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » July 17th, 2020, 1:56 pm

I wonder what Fuad and Muwakil does do on July 27th ?

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 17th, 2020, 3:18 pm

Probably thanking God that T&T is a sh!thole country because one would have been fatherless and the other one probably dead.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » July 17th, 2020, 3:20 pm

Trinidad is the only country where you can overthrow a democratically elected government in an attempted coup, killing countless people, loot countless businesses, shoot the President/Prime Minister in he cacah0le and get rewarded for it with land and money.

This is an A class sh!thole

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » July 17th, 2020, 3:47 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Trinidad is the only country where you can overthrow a democratically elected government in an attempted coup, killing countless people, loot countless businesses, shoot the President/Prime Minister in he cacah0le and get rewarded for it with land and money.

For every sheothole there is another sheothole right around the corner
Desi Bouterse overthrew the Surinamese govnt, maintained a military dictatorship, killed 15 prominent Surinamese (mostly of Indo-Surinamese heritage) who criticized the military dictatorship, oversaw a mini civil war against the maroons, trafficked in Cocaine and was still elected president in 2010.

We don't look so bad in comparison

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » July 17th, 2020, 3:56 pm

Aside from all the harm he caused is there any truth to his supposed explanation of staging the coup? Like the drugs and police cover ups. From what I remember a lot of people actually supported him at the time. Cro cro ans sparrow even sang songs praising him

abbow
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby abbow » July 17th, 2020, 4:15 pm

The killing of the WPC in 1987 was true...

Cant speak for the rest...

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » July 17th, 2020, 7:28 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:
EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Trinidad is the only country where you can overthrow a democratically elected government in an attempted coup, killing countless people, loot countless businesses, shoot the President/Prime Minister in he cacah0le and get rewarded for it with land and money.

Desi Bouterse overthrew the Surinamese govnt, maintained a military dictatorship, killed 15 prominent Surinamese (mostly of Indo-Surinamese heritage) who criticized the military dictatorship, oversaw a mini civil war against the maroons, trafficked in Cocaine and was still elected president in 2010.

Remember when Ghany give we part of the story in class? I coulda carry that man for ah drink to hear more. Such a complicated story

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » July 17th, 2020, 8:07 pm

Probably was sleeping in class that day. I remember his talks on colourism in Caribbean politics the most. His call to go look and see what Jamaican PMs looked like
VexXx Dogg wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:

Remember when Ghany give we part of the story in class? I coulda carry that man for ah drink to hear more. Such a complicated story

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » July 17th, 2020, 8:16 pm

Now reading up on Bouterse. He was literally voted out of office this week. He has also been convicted of the murders since 2019 but was still in office until yesterday.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-53394785

My God what an evil Saddam Hussein type tyrant. Right next door! He also massacred an entire village of civilians in 1986. His crimes against humanity needs to be heard at The Hague.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » July 17th, 2020, 9:27 pm

Bouterse seems the kind that AP fancies
maj. tom wrote:Now reading up on Bouterse. He was literally voted out of office this week. He has also been convicted of the murders since 2019 but was still in office until yesterday.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-53394785

My God what an evil Saddam Hussein type tyrant. Right next door! He also massacred an entire village of civilians in 1986. His crimes against humanity needs to be heard at The Hague.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » July 17th, 2020, 9:32 pm

Never knew Suriname was in such a mess....

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 17th, 2020, 11:52 pm

Gladiator wrote:Never knew Suriname was in such a mess....
Afro goverments bro

abducted
I LUV THIS PLACE

Re: Where were you during the 1990 Coup?

Postby abducted » July 27th, 2020, 8:48 am

Hope Bakr and his son are remembering the July 27 1990 coup today, and what it did to T&T.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » July 27th, 2020, 9:47 am

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » July 27th, 2020, 10:03 am

Murderers who got away without a slap on the wrist.

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » July 27th, 2020, 10:48 am

They seem unbothered that innocent lives were lost and pos destroyed for no apparent reason.....
I remember that day....
Horrific and sadest time for tnt

Cant believe they got away with this
abducted wrote:Hope Bakr and his son are remembering the July 27 1990 coup today, and what it did to T&T.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”