Forums

The GOOGLE | ANDROID Thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Re: The GOOGLE | ANDROID Thread

Postby ProtonPowder » March 23rd, 2021, 12:12 am

The_Honourable wrote:Anybody experiencing their apps randomly crashing?

Thought it was just me tbh

Happening with only 1 app, a game. Only thing that helped it was outright clearing the app cache, data and reinstalling.

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » October 19th, 2021, 6:16 pm

anyone got the Android 12 update?

dogg
Riding on 16's

Postby dogg » November 2nd, 2021, 4:26 pm

From Nov 9, all gmail accounts will only be accessed via 2 factor authentication.

What you all think about that?

Should it remain optional?

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » November 14th, 2021, 2:35 pm

dogg wrote:From Nov 9, all gmail accounts will only be accessed via 2 factor authentication.

I endorse it...

Anyone gonna cop the pixel 6??? That 600$ price point is just exceptional.

Stoick
Ricer

Postby Stoick » November 14th, 2021, 8:16 pm

nick639v2 wrote:
dogg wrote:From Nov 9, all gmail accounts will only be accessed via 2 factor authentication.

I endorse it...

I tried to pre-order the Pixel 6 Pro directly from Google Store, but they cancelled my order. :( . They didn't have any problems with me when i bought the Pixel 3 back in 2018.
Seems if you want one, you have to get it from another retrailer.

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » November 14th, 2021, 10:04 pm

i gonna wait for pixel 7. hoping google learns from its pixel 6 issues.

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » November 14th, 2021, 10:04 pm

Stoick wrote:
nick639v2 wrote:

I endorse it...

I tried to pre-order the Pixel 6 Pro directly from Google Store, but they cancelled my order. :( . They didn't have any problems with me when i bought the Pixel 3 back in 2018.
Seems if you want one, you have to get it from another retrailer.

i rolling with the 3a... i rel like that phone oui

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » November 24th, 2021, 12:02 am

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 5th, 2022, 9:30 am

Questions for you guys out there.

Anyone bought the Google Pixel 6/Pixel 6 pro? Although these phones are available in certain countries, what are the issues if the phone is purchased in the US and used here in Trinidad? Are there losses to functionality, reduced performance etc.?

What's the experience with others who own previous Pixels?

I have to buy a new phone and looking to upgrade at the same time. I do not change phones often but am forced to change my current Motorola due to a badly cracked screen. The upgrade for me will be a phone which has Gorilla Glass.

Having said that, I went ahead and purchased the Pixel 6 pro from Amazon but will cancel order if there seems to be any potential issues with the phone since delivery will be towards the end of January.

Another option I'm looking at, for which I will cancel the Pixel 6 pro order, is the Sony Xperia 1 III.

What are the views on the Xperia phones and which would you say is better between the Pixel 6 pro and the Xperia 1 III?

My main reasons for going the way of Xperia would be larger internal storage, expandable memory via SD card, availability of a global version (which is not the case for the Pixel 6 pro). Camera is neither here nor there for me. The price is slightly more than the Pixel 6 pro, but I figured that is the price for the additional hardware.

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » January 5th, 2022, 10:02 am

carluva wrote:Questions for you guys out there.

Anyone bought the Google Pixel 6/Pixel 6 pro? Although these phones are available in certain countries, what are the issues if the phone is purchased in the US and used here in Trinidad? Are there losses to functionality, reduced performance etc.?

What's the experience with others who own previous Pixels?

I have to buy a new phone and looking to upgrade at the same time. I do not change phones often but am forced to change my current Motorola due to a badly cracked screen. The upgrade for me will be a phone which has Gorilla Glass.

Having said that, I went ahead and purchased the Pixel 6 pro from Amazon but will cancel order if there seems to be any potential issues with the phone since delivery will be towards the end of January.

Another option I'm looking at, for which I will cancel the Pixel 6 pro order, is the Sony Xperia 1 III.

What are the views on the Xperia phones and which would you say is better between the Pixel 6 pro and the Xperia 1 III?

My main reasons for going the way of Xperia would be larger internal storage, expandable memory via SD card, availability of a global version (which is not the case for the Pixel 6 pro). Camera is neither here nor there for me. The price is slightly more than the Pixel 6 pro, but I figured that is the price for the additional hardware.

Are there losses to functionality, reduced performance etc - nope.. only US based features wont work here, for instance the auto attendant ai for when you receive calls. the AI speaks with the caller and lets you know who is calling and what for etc

What's the experience with others who own previous Pixels? - i own a pixel 3a (midrange) since June 2019 and the thing wokkin rel good still i find. i never had any issues (has headphone jack too lolol). i waiting to see what the Pixel 7 looks like since the Pixel 6 is using google's tensor chip.

which Pro you bought - 128GB, 256GB, 512GB?

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 5th, 2022, 10:29 am

I bought the Pro 128 GB. $899.

But this is part of the reason I am looking at the Xperia 1 III. For $1040, I can get the 512 GB, plus the other features as mentioned... including a 3.5mm headphone jack.

I am hating to have to spend so much on a phone, but these cheaper android phones I bought all suffer from the same fate - broken screen. I drop phones alot. In the last three years I have spent close to $1000 in phones that got damaged during falls - broken screens, damaged hardware etc. Hence why I am considering the "splurge" for something that can withstand a drop and something with good Gorilla Glass technology.

I also use dual SIM (one for work and the other personal). The Pixel 6 pro does not support Dual SIM. Only nano SIM and ESIM. The Xperia supports the dual SIM. Do bMobile or Digicel support ESIM?

Oh Yes - when I said I don't change phones often, what I really meant is that I don't change phones often simply because a new version exists. I am content to keep a phone for as long as I can, and have, prior to the clumsy experiences with the last set of phones. :)

J453
Sweet on this forum

Postby J453 » January 5th, 2022, 7:31 pm

Bought a regular Pixel 6 128gb early December and got it from Web Source Dec 30th, so using it now for about a week. No issues with functionality so far even though I see lots of complaints online re: the cancelled Dec update.

One piece of advice, invest in a Google approved 30W charger as you may be aware one doesn't come in the box. I looked in Trincity mall for one but only got a 20W which still charges very slow; might still end up forking out for a 30W in the future because the bricks I have from my old phones charge it slooooooow.

Also, it's a slippery beyotch with the glass back - get a case. If I rest it at even a slight angle I can see it sliding slowly away. I share your concerns about broken screens because of past experiences, keep in mind the Gorilla glass can still break so a little extra help from a case should be welcomed... Definitely better than a screen replacement. Hope you have a good experience if you go through with your purchase. People are hoping the January update will improve the charging speeds and reliability of the in-display fingerprint sensor which is hit-and-miss at times. All we can do is wait and see.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 5th, 2022, 7:39 pm

J453

Thanks for that detailed feedback.

By chance, is your phone using the ESIM as well?

bMobile indicated that their network does not yet support ESIM. A guy at Digicel told me that he believes some phones were activated with ESIM but will get back to me on the specific models.

For sometime I have been wanting to transfer to Digicel. I guess if they do support ESIM that's the push for me.

Still looking at the Xperia 1 III due to dual physical SIMs. May cancel the Pixel 6 pro if the ESIM is not supported locally.

Already own a 30W Motorola charger so this should be a plus.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

The GOOGLE | ANDROID Thread

Postby nick639v2 » January 5th, 2022, 8:32 pm

Maybe you can get some info from my little unbiased ramble

iPhone 7 -> pixel3 & one plus 6t -> iPhone 13

The pixel devices age decently, performance and updates keep rolling in on time and they kept things running ‘ok’ with no bloatware, but the battery life was horrible after 2 years. Functionally You won’t be disappointed at all with a pixel device and stock android , ( I slightly preferred one plus oxygen OS just for the shortcuts and minor tweaks they do and their fast charging with the battery after 3 years still is at 80% health compared to the pixel’s 2 year run that sucked itself dry to 42% health )

If dual sim is a must well you’ll have to sack the p6pro cuz as far as I know no e-sim functionality running hmmm. 99% of pixel features work, just redo your google account to US and get u a vpn going during setup.

That being said, this year I decided to go back to iOS, functionally the older pixel still worked but the minor drop outs and last twitchy update messed up push notifications, optimization and syncing so bad it pushed me to the one plus. Then the one plus beat it in longevity and stability and continues to be my secondary backup phone. That’s why If you haven’t purchased yet I would’ve recommended the regular pixel 6 instead or a one plus device at least till google tensor gets its maiden voyage .

I gave up the iPhone 7 for google’s pixel then one plus 6t and now I switched back with a iPhone 13 pro, and it looks like I made the right decision, feels silky smooth and just right with 1.5 day battery life. Like I said I’m a power user, content consumption, tweaking, jailbreaking, rooting and just overall battery and feature rich user and the oneplus just kinda did better in everything when I think about it in the android sense. But for workflow iOS keeps me cemented and the better build quality, trade in value and syncing across devices which is why I went back to it

The pixels are great phones but I had a better one plus experience even camera wise with gcam installed.

J453
Sweet on this forum

Postby J453 » January 7th, 2022, 9:42 pm

carluva wrote:J453

Thanks for that detailed feedback.

By chance, is your phone using the ESIM as well?

bMobile indicated that their network does not yet support ESIM. A guy at Digicel told me that he believes some phones were activated with ESIM but will get back to me on the specific models.

For sometime I have been wanting to transfer to Digicel. I guess if they do support ESIM that's the push for me.

Still looking at the Xperia 1 III due to dual physical SIMs. May cancel the Pixel 6 pro if the ESIM is not supported locally.

Already own a 30W Motorola charger so this should be a plus.
Nah no e-SIM here, plain old bMobile nano SIM. Did you get any confirmation from the Digicel rep yet on whether it's available at all? I definitely wouldn't get my hopes up LMAO

I was wondering why you were so attracted to the Xperia 1iii but after doing my own research I realized that it's a decent package offering many features other flagship devices lack (3.5mm jack, expandable storage/dual sim), plus it runs near stock android. Only concern (other than price lol) would be OS updates and security patches as Sony don't seem to have a stellar reputation with update cycles compared to their counterparts. It seems they've committed to 3 years of updates for the current generation which is more than they traditionally do but still less than the likes of Apple, Samsung and Google. Either way, it looks like you've done your homework as well, so I hope you get a device that checks all your boxes. Let us know what feedback you get from Digicel re: the e-SIM and if you end up sticking with the pixel or canceling your order.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 8th, 2022, 9:38 am

Digicel does not do ESIM.

Called three locations to be sure and they all confirmed the same.

bMobile locations I called and the 8008788 rep don't even know what is ESIM.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 9th, 2022, 2:00 pm

J453

How much storage space does the "System" (i.e. the android software and supporting files) use from the 128GB internal memory?

J453
Sweet on this forum

Postby J453 » January 9th, 2022, 3:48 pm

carluva wrote:J453

How much storage space does the "System" (i.e. the android software and supporting files) use from the 128GB internal memory?
'bout 11gb according to storage manager.

Like yuh eh cancel the order yet and still studying to stay with #teampixel
Screenshot_20220109-153848.jpg

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 9th, 2022, 4:14 pm

Lol yeah.

The Xperia is better on paper imo, but that 2 years of support compared to the pixel's 5 years has me concerned for a phone that price.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 19th, 2022, 10:42 am

J453

Did you get the January update on your G6P? Any issues before and changes/improvements to the phone's functionality?

My order of the G6PPro is en route to T&T. Still having doubts but cant do anything now. Guess I can do an Amazon return if it comes to that.

J453
Sweet on this forum

Postby J453 » January 19th, 2022, 7:03 pm

Yeah got it last Friday iirc. I saw an article saying Google announced it would be released on the 17th but as soon as I did a check I got it immediately. It took longer to optimize than it did to download.

I didn't have much issues to begin with so I can't say anything cliche like it's smoother or snappier. The performance of the fingerprint scanner has improved greatly though, this was my first in-display fps so I don't have any benchmark. I saw mkbhd comparing it to the sensor in the Galaxy S21 and the Samsung's unlocking speed was noticably faster than his P6 Pro. I can live with it now even though it's not the fastest it's more reliable now than it was pre-update.

Charging speed still sucks balls lol but I still haven't got a 30w brick, harder to find locally than I anticipated. I picked up a 20w in the mall which looked good because it had usb-c and USB type A ports but turns out neither of them get the full 20W even when only one is in use. *facepalm* But with adaptive charge I can charge overnight without worry until I get the right brick.

No major complaints otherwise. If you get the Pro and decide not to keep it may be easier to try and sell locally than making an Amazon return.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 19th, 2022, 9:47 pm

Saw MKBHD's comments... If I was living tech every day like him, I'm sure I'd have similar gripes. But for the average pleb (i.e. me) I'm sure his gripes are inconsequential and actually, I may find his gripes to be a step up from my current device.

I'll just wait and see what the phone has to offer. As with everything, there're good reviews and bad reviews. I'm sure I'm feeling this way as this is the most I've ever paid for a handset and only took the plunge as I wanted a keeper for at least three years. If it lasts that time for me it'd prove to be a good investment.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » January 26th, 2022, 11:29 pm

Got the P6P on Monday. Did all the updates and cut over apps. Haven't transferred SIM yet... Phone too slick and slippery and I am waiting for the case to arrive before using it in full.

The display is gorgeous but I have nothing similar to compare to as this is my first "flagship" ever. But videos look beautiful. And the phone is quite heavy (not a complaint for me but rather a pro) but feels so premium.

So far the fingerprint sensor is fine but I haven't been using it that much to see how it works for me. The 30W charger from my other Motorola worked well on the pixel.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 1st, 2022, 11:36 pm

Been using the new phone a few days now after receiving the case last week.

I must say that I like the phone so far. The display is amazing and some of the features of android 12 on this device are quite useful. I have not used the camera as yet, but then I am not much of a phone camera person. Much prefer my APS-C Fuji camera.

So far I am pleased and will thus far recommend the Pixel 6 pro.

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » February 1st, 2022, 11:45 pm

carluva wrote:Been using the new phone a few days now after receiving the case last week.

I must say that I like the phone so far. The display is amazing and some of the features of android 12 on this device are quite useful. I have not used the camera as yet, but then I am not much of a phone camera person. Much prefer my APS-C Fuji camera.

try out the magic eraser tool in Photos

death365
Riding on 18's

Postby death365 » February 2nd, 2022, 5:49 am

Yeah google try ah apple there ... Samsung phones had that since the s/note 20.

Then Google invent it :)
st7 wrote:
carluva wrote:Been using the new phone a few days now after receiving the case last week.

try out the magic eraser tool in Photos

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » October 12th, 2022, 1:18 pm

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » November 26th, 2022, 3:46 pm

Does anyone have first hand experience with the Pixel 7 Pro and how it compares to the OnePlus 10 Pro? Reviews on the internet are mixed, some for the Pixel some for the OnePlus.

Considering one of them as a birthday gift for someone. They have relatively small hands and they want their phone to take good quality photos and videos.

I am looking at an Android phone, so please, no recommendations for anything Apple. I have an Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max for close to two years now and I really am not impressed with it at all.

Thanks.

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » November 26th, 2022, 4:20 pm

Rory Phoulorie wrote:Does anyone have first hand experience with the Pixel 7 Pro and how it compares to the OnePlus 10 Pro? Reviews on the internet are mixed, some for the Pixel some for the OnePlus.

Considering one of them as a birthday gift for someone. They have relatively small hands and they want their phone to take good quality photos and videos.

I am looking at an Android phone, so please, no recommendations for anything Apple. I have an Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max for close to two years now and I really am not impressed with it at all.

Thanks.

i saw this which you may have seen as well... the p7p camera looks better with pics and video. (except for the noise for front camera video in the dark lol)

the video of the one plus seems choppy, bad video stabilization. i'd say get the p7p but u save a lot more with the oneplus

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » December 22nd, 2022, 1:57 am

interesting and surprising results!

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”