Forums

*** THE OFFICIAL HOME THEATER & AUDIO THREAD**

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: *** THE OFFICIAL HOME THEATER & AUDIO THREAD**

Postby maj. tom » July 2nd, 2022, 11:10 pm

Take note of some landmarks in this diagram and align your view. The Capacitor C918 on your board, and the IC91 chip just below it.

IC91 is a chip called Current Mode PWM Power Switch OB2358. This chip is a failsafe to burn when there is a voltage over spike on your system that exceeds the specs of the IC. Get a line conditioner for your high end audio equipment. {{OB2358 offers complete protection coverage with automatic self-recovery feature including Cycle-by-Cycle current limiting, over load protection.}}

Take a multimeter and check for continuity between C918 pins. My guess is yes beep. Well there is a whole series of tests you can do here if you have equipment, but since you suspect IC91, remove it carefully from the opposite side with your soldering iron (315°C should be ok), and do be careful because electrolytic caps do not like heat and will explode. Recheck C918 pins and see if the beep is gone, if it is gone it meant that IC91 was shorted internally to ground. The chip itself costs about $2 USD in China, but hopefully Steve's Electronics will have it since it's an old board with lot of generic components.

This is the best I can do for you through an online forum. Oh and one very important thing, do discharge those caps before you start interfering. Just use a 1kΩ resistor soldered to a piece of insulated wire and short the two pins of the cap on the resistor. Especially those big 250V ones. And get a can of WD-40 Contact Cleaner and spray liberally with the straw on all those components.

Humes
Shifting into 6th

Postby Humes » July 7th, 2022, 8:09 am

Folks, recommend me a decent 4K receiver that I can buy locally. Might not need speakers, as my Onkyo set still going strong.

My set-up is a PC, a TV, and a console in a relatively small room. To be honest, I'm thinking of leaving receivers behind and using an HDMI switch and soundbar/subwoofer, but I need to weigh pros, cons, and price.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » July 7th, 2022, 10:25 am

Humes wrote:Folks, recommend me a decent 4K receiver that I can buy locally. Might not need speakers, as my Onkyo set still going strong.

My set-up is a PC, a TV, and a console in a relatively small room. To be honest, I'm thinking of leaving receivers behind and using an HDMI switch and soundbar/subwoofer, but I need to weigh pros, cons, and price.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Check Streamline Systems they should have Denon. Sound and security should also have Yamaha.

Stick to the AV receiver. The sound bar with micro sub would not be comparable.

If you want something used let me know. I may consider upgrading my Denon.

dredman1
Riding on 18's

Postby dredman1 » August 1st, 2022, 4:43 pm

Folks, I have an LG 55" UH7700 tv (not OLED - an older IPS model) and the screen is "jumping" occasionally. Best I can describe it is it intermittently does some very quick (for like 1 - 2 seconds) up and down flickers, which on first glance can look like a slight blur. However, after repeated occurrences you can tell the image is moving very slightly up and down very, very rapidly.

Anyway trying to determine if this might be worth fixing vs. buying a new TV. If so, any recommendations for a good TV repair technician?

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » August 1st, 2022, 6:14 pm

dredman1 wrote:Folks, I have an LG 55" UH7700 tv (not OLED - an older IPS model) and the screen is "jumping" occasionally. Best I can describe it is it intermittently does some very quick (for like 1 - 2 seconds) up and down flickers, which on first glance can look like a slight blur. However, after repeated occurrences you can tell the image is moving very slightly up and down very, very rapidly.

Anyway trying to determine if this might be worth fixing vs. buying a new TV. If so, any recommendations for a good TV repair technician?

iis this on all vedeo sauces?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » August 1st, 2022, 6:17 pm

Either loose or damaged ribbon cable/connector. Maybe. It can happen gradually due to expansion and contraction of components when the unit is powered on and off many times. You can attempt to open it (follow a YouTube disassembly guide how to do this), spray clean with WD-40 Contact Cleaner and re-seat all the cables and connectors.

If that does not solve it, my 2nd guess is a component on the timing control (T-Con) board is going, and could be something as simple as a capacitor, but it'll be easier for you to just replace the board. It could also be any other board who knows without testing? https://www.tvpartstoday.com/6871L-4430C-LG-T-Con-Board-4430C-6870C-0645A-V1-p/6871l-4430c.htm
[from left to right: 1.Power Supply / LED Driver Board (USD $40), 2. Timing Controller Board(USD $15), 3. Main Board(USD $65)]

So knowing the cost of each component that can go bad, I would suggest that you carry it to a TV repair store, let them diagnose for a fee, and you import the replacement board for yourself and replace it. It's up to you but I would do that, rather than throw it away and buy a new one. It's only about 6 years old?

dredman1
Riding on 18's

Postby dredman1 » August 3rd, 2022, 7:37 am

paid_influencer wrote:
dredman1 wrote:Folks, I have an LG 55" UH7700 tv (not OLED - an older IPS model) and the screen is "jumping" occasionally. Best I can describe it is it intermittently does some very quick (for like 1 - 2 seconds) up and down flickers, which on first glance can look like a slight blur. However, after repeated occurrences you can tell the image is moving very slightly up and down very, very rapidly.

iis this on all vedeo sauces?

Happens on both the cable STB source and the built in netflix and youtube apps.

dredman1
Riding on 18's

Postby dredman1 » August 3rd, 2022, 7:48 am

maj. tom wrote:Either loose or damaged ribbon cable/connector. Maybe. It can happen gradually due to expansion and contraction of components when the unit is powered on and off many times. You can attempt to open it (follow a YouTube disassembly guide how to do this), spray clean with WD-40 Contact Cleaner and re-seat all the cables and connectors.

If that does not solve it, my 2nd guess is a component on the timing control (T-Con) board is going, and could be something as simple as a capacitor, but it'll be easier for you to just replace the board. It could also be any other board who knows without testing? https://www.tvpartstoday.com/6871L-4430C-LG-T-Con-Board-4430C-6870C-0645A-V1-p/6871l-4430c.htm
[from left to right: 1.Power Supply / LED Driver Board (USD $40), 2. Timing Controller Board(USD $15), 3. Main Board(USD $65)]

So knowing the cost of each component that can go bad, I would suggest that you carry it to a TV repair store, let them diagnose for a fee, and you import the replacement board for yourself and replace it. It's up to you but I would do that, rather than throw it away and buy a new one. It's only about 6 years old?

Thanks. Yep its about 6 or 7 years old. But its basically on EVERY day from 6am till about 9pm in a room that has no a/c. I have a small fan blowing at the back of it, but thats about it for cooling.

Will check out some vids to see how involved opening up and identifying/getting to the connectors are and see what I can do.

Question tho: how difficult are those PCBs to replace? I know a capacitor will involve soldering, but if changing out the whole board does that typically require unsoldering and re-soldering in, or are they usually just pull out and snap in?

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » August 3rd, 2022, 10:02 am

dredman1 wrote:
maj. tom wrote:Either loose or damaged ribbon cable/connector. Maybe. It can happen gradually due to expansion and contraction of components when the unit is powered on and off many times. You can attempt to open it (follow a YouTube disassembly guide how to do this), spray clean with WD-40 Contact Cleaner and re-seat all the cables and connectors.

Thanks. Yep its about 6 or 7 years old. But its basically on EVERY day from 6am till about 9pm in a room that has no a/c. I have a small fan blowing at the back of it, but thats about it for cooling.

Will check out some vids to see how involved opening up and identifying/getting to the connectors are and see what I can do.

Question tho: how difficult are those PCBs to replace? I know a capacitor will involve soldering, but if changing out the whole board does that typically require unsoldering and re-soldering in, or are they usually just pull out and snap in?
TV main boards are very easy to change. Just be careful with the ribbon cable if you have to remove and reseat it.

dredman1
Riding on 18's

Postby dredman1 » August 3rd, 2022, 10:40 am

Gladiator wrote:
dredman1 wrote:

TV main boards are very easy to change. Just be careful with the ribbon cable if you have to remove and reseat it.

Cool. Thanks

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » August 3rd, 2022, 11:03 am

The boards are just screwed down or held with plastic tab connectors. They're designed like that for ease of assembly in modules. So if you find out which board suspect, it's really easy to replace it. Disassembly would be simple if you follow a guide. Place a cloth or soft mat on a table, put the tv screen face down on it. Unscrew the back mount and any other screws at the back. LG stuff has a lot of clip tabs holding the back plastic panel so you can use a plastic guitar pick to pry and slide along the edges and it'll come off easy. Follow a guide so you know what to do.

Swisha
Chronic 2NR

Postby Swisha » August 4th, 2022, 8:35 pm

Anyone found a good universal remote since Logitech discontinued the Harmony line?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » August 4th, 2022, 9:11 pm

maybe Fire Cube 2nd gen?

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » August 4th, 2022, 9:43 pm

Considering this as a upgrade to home theater anyone ever used it locally?

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » August 7th, 2022, 1:14 am

Anyone ever saw a optical to rca converter selling locally?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » August 7th, 2022, 1:22 am

X_Factor wrote:Anyone ever saw a optical to rca converter selling locally?

Gopauls or Montrose Electronics may have a Toslink digital to analog RCA converter
Check Steves Electronics also

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » August 7th, 2022, 9:01 pm

I have one i can sell

Comes with a remote

wana-B-racer
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby wana-B-racer » August 7th, 2022, 9:41 pm

Good Night Everyone,
Looking for someone who conducts repairs on Vintage Audio Home Receivers
Typical Clean, Deoxit, and Recap.

Vintage SX 1280.jpg

Vintage 1180 DC.jpg

Vintage SX 1980.jpg

Vintage 4400.jpg

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » August 8th, 2022, 6:12 am

Sanch Electronics in St Joseph

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » August 8th, 2022, 7:02 am

SR wrote:I have one i can sell

Comes with a remote
Cost?

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » August 8th, 2022, 8:20 am

wana-B-racer wrote:Good Night Everyone,
Looking for someone who conducts repairs on Vintage Audio Home Receivers
Typical Clean, Deoxit, and Recap.

Vintage SX 1280.jpg

By chance do you need a kidney?

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » August 8th, 2022, 10:51 am

If I coulda get the silver sharp receiver from the 80's, I would be happy.

Once the Amp and the aux Input section working, could use the rest just for display/aesthetic.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » August 8th, 2022, 11:55 am

sMASH wrote:If I coulda get the silver sharp receiver from the 80's, I would be happy.

Once the Amp and the aux Input section working, could use the rest just for display/aesthetic.

You do realise the first pic is a pioneer sx1280 right?

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » August 8th, 2022, 8:07 pm

no...
but not that one,, ,a more simple one. jess trebble and bass. the ones i remember seeing, was more clean looking, not so many buttons. they had the turn table on top.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » August 8th, 2022, 8:36 pm

The 1280 is the stuff of wet dreams

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 8th, 2022, 9:08 pm

i have a tube marantz 7c parked up somewhere

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

*** THE OFFICIAL HOME THEATER & AUDIO THREAD**

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » August 11th, 2022, 1:56 am

X_Factor wrote:Anyone ever saw a optical to rca converter selling locally?

Saw this in Gulf City today at the kiosk next to the claw machines by the multistory car park elevator on level 1 (level 0 is the ground floor)

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » August 11th, 2022, 5:44 am

rollingstock wrote:The 1280 is the stuff of wet dreams

plane janes do it for me...

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » August 11th, 2022, 6:51 am

sMASH wrote:

That unit is really a classic. It's sought after by collectors all over the world.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » August 11th, 2022, 7:19 am

Gladiator wrote:
sMASH wrote:

That unit is really a classic. It's sought after by collectors all over the world.

i like what i like...

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”