Forums

Energy Sector Thread - Operators, Engineers, Technicians Et Al

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

sMASH
TunerGod

Re: Energy Sector Thread - Operators, Engineers, Technicians Et Al

Postby sMASH » July 22nd, 2021, 4:46 pm

that was like the last major topic ago, just before the platform coming in. where we discussed the tie ins and the gas could leave bg platforms and reach pt lisas or pt fortin.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » July 22nd, 2021, 5:03 pm

Redman wrote:Like I said, blather.
And yeah you are lying as normal.

I'm Curtis Williams? Cuz it's his articles. Lemme guess, He hah ah agendah? :roll: He iz ah opinion columnist? :roll:
You're dotishly clinging to the defense of $300M pissed away, but since you have nothing, and since the ones that matter like BP, have confirmed that there is no gas for Train 1, you resort to hurling baseless accusations of lying, along with your defeated, and puerile "blather" caca.
Once again literally living up to your Red Colostomy Bag name :lol:

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » July 22nd, 2021, 5:13 pm

You said that I said 300 was small thing.
I didn't.

I called you a liar...I still am calling you a liar.

Curtis Williams et Al ...the state of the economy or gas availability..just has nothing to do with your consistent lies during your long-winded blathering.
ETA...Curtis Williams you fkin ain't.
Last edited by Redman on July 22nd, 2021, 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cantmis
punchin NOS

Postby Cantmis » July 22nd, 2021, 5:14 pm

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » July 22nd, 2021, 6:14 pm

Redman wrote:You said that I said 300 was small thing.
I didn't.

Curtis Williams et Al ...the state of the economy or gas availability..just has nothing to do with your consistent lies during your long-winded blathering.

But a LFD RFD PNM dotish sheep you is!
I see you took a page from your equally dotish LFD RFD PNM brother Tunts7, and now relying on semantics. Did you or didn't you dismiss the $300M and say "we still ahead?" Care to tell us how much ahead we are now?
No? Your kant well shut now that the ones you leaned on so heavily like BP etc, have now come out and said there is no gas, and the plant is heading for mothball status. No one with a modicum of sense, (that's you Colos :wink:) would read that passage, and not recognize the colossal blunder that the LFD RFD PNM and their energy wizards :roll: JUHN Scarfy and Goebbels foisted on us.

Trinidad Express July 19 2021
ENERGY major BP said there is no “ongoing fight” between itself and the minority shareholder of Atlantic, Royal Dutch Shell.

In a statement issued late yesterday, responding to an Express story, the London-based energy company said it has been working closely with the other Atlantic LNG shareholders and the Government to explore the restructuring of Atlantic LNG as it believes it offers an opportunity to improve operating efficiency and commercial alignment.

“It is our goal to arrive at an outcome that improves value to the country while ensuring we have a competitive energy sector that can continue to attract the investments required to keep the production profile needed to satisfy downstream and LNG demand,” the statement said.

The company also made it clear that there would be no gas for Atlantic’s Train 1.

“In terms of gas supply, following the disappointing results from our 2019 infill drilling programme we have since refocused our production operations on maximising production from our existing fields in the short-term, actively taking measures to offset natural declines. Even though these factors helped production at the beginning of 2020, natural declines continue to be a challenge as we manage our gas deliverability for 2021.

“While we continue to progress our Matapal and Cassia C projects, the volumes from these developments will be put towards fulfilling our existing contractual obligations for Trains 2, 3, 4 and NGC,” it said.

The Express yesterday reported that no decision has yet been taken to mothball Atlantic Train I but there was an ongoing fight between BP and Shell, two of the world’s largest energy companies, for control of the still lucrative liquefied natural gas (LNG) complex at Point Fortin.

It was also reported that a proposal by Shell to have one single ownership structure for all four LNG producing trains at Atlantic—instead of the current situation in which each of the four LNG-producing facilities have different shareholdings and shareholders—would strengthen Shell’s control over Atlantic and reduce BP’s.

The Government has said that its decision to invest capital, through the National Gas Company (NGC) to keep Atlantic LNG’s Train 1 operational was “strategic” given that by 2024, it expects to have gas from the Manatee field.

The Manatee field, once known as the Loran-Manatee field, is a deepwater, cross border field between T&T and Venezuela.

Last year, Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley said that the field has gas reserves of 10.07 trillion cubic feet (tcf), of which 2.71 tcf belongs to TT and 7.35 tcf belongs to Venezuela.

Based on a recovery factor of 69 per cent, Rowley had said T&T can expect to produce up to 1.872 tcf and Venezuela 5.076 tcf.

In December 2020, former energy minister Franklin Khan had told Parliament that: “Atlantic Train 1 will not be shutting down in January 2021. Train 1 will continue to operate in 2021 and will be part of wider negotiations, which have been taking place among the Atlantic LNG shareholders to form one unitised facility encompassing all four Trains.”

Khan had said that the NGC, acting on behalf of the Government, is taking the required actions to maintain the operability of Train 1, pending the finalisation of the negotiations of the structure for the unitised facility.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 22nd, 2021, 11:28 pm

^^^ Redman can't answer you , he's got Habit7 balls in this mouth

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » July 23rd, 2021, 7:20 am

De Dragon wrote:
I didn't.

I see you took a page from your equally dotish LFD RFD PNM brother Tunts7, and now relying on semantics. Did you or didn't you dismiss the $300M and say "we still ahead?" Care to tell us how much ahead we are now?
No? Your kant well shut now that the ones you leaned on so heavily like BP etc, have now come out and said there is no gas, and the plant is heading for mothball status. No one with a modicum of sense, (that's you Colos :wink:) would read that passage, and not recognize the colossal blunder that the LFD RFD PNM and their energy wizards :roll: JUHN Scarfy and Goebbels foisted on us.

ENERGY major BP said there is no “ongoing fight” between itself and the minority shareholder of Atlantic, Royal Dutch Shell.

In a statement issued late yesterday, responding to an Express story, the London-based energy company said it has been working closely with the other Atlantic LNG shareholders and the Government to explore the restructuring of Atlantic LNG as it believes it offers an opportunity to improve operating efficiency and commercial alignment.

“It is our goal to arrive at an outcome that improves value to the country while ensuring we have a competitive energy sector that can continue to attract the investments required to keep the production profile needed to satisfy downstream and LNG demand,” the statement said.

The company also made it clear that there would be no gas for Atlantic’s Train 1.

“In terms of gas supply, following the disappointing results from our 2019 infill drilling programme we have since refocused our production operations on maximising production from our existing fields in the short-term, actively taking measures to offset natural declines. Even though these factors helped production at the beginning of 2020, natural declines continue to be a challenge as we manage our gas deliverability for 2021.

“While we continue to progress our Matapal and Cassia C projects, the volumes from these developments will be put towards fulfilling our existing contractual obligations for Trains 2, 3, 4 and NGC,” it said.

The Express yesterday reported that no decision has yet been taken to mothball Atlantic Train I but there was an ongoing fight between BP and Shell, two of the world’s largest energy companies, for control of the still lucrative liquefied natural gas (LNG) complex at Point Fortin.

It was also reported that a proposal by Shell to have one single ownership structure for all four LNG producing trains at Atlantic—instead of the current situation in which each of the four LNG-producing facilities have different shareholdings and shareholders—would strengthen Shell’s control over Atlantic and reduce BP’s.

The Government has said that its decision to invest capital, through the National Gas Company (NGC) to keep Atlantic LNG’s Train 1 operational was “strategic” given that by 2024, it expects to have gas from the Manatee field.

The Manatee field, once known as the Loran-Manatee field, is a deepwater, cross border field between T&T and Venezuela.

Last year, Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley said that the field has gas reserves of 10.07 trillion cubic feet (tcf), of which 2.71 tcf belongs to TT and 7.35 tcf belongs to Venezuela.

Based on a recovery factor of 69 per cent, Rowley had said T&T can expect to produce up to 1.872 tcf and Venezuela 5.076 tcf.

In December 2020, former energy minister Franklin Khan had told Parliament that: “Atlantic Train 1 will not be shutting down in January 2021. Train 1 will continue to operate in 2021 and will be part of wider negotiations, which have been taking place among the Atlantic LNG shareholders to form one unitised facility encompassing all four Trains.”

Khan had said that the NGC, acting on behalf of the Government, is taking the required actions to maintain the operability of Train 1, pending the finalisation of the negotiations of the structure for the unitised facility.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong ....I have no issue with that...of course there is plenty yet to happen.

BP of course has changed their tune, as they are wont to do.
.As you say don't trust them.

Of course the point of the unitisation is to get away from the BP and Shells steering gas to specific trains,train one being the train that TnT has most visibility on the sales and marketing aspect.
BP also said all of that too.

https://www.bp.com/en_tt/trinidad-and-t ... antic.html

So we will see.

As to you and your lie well it went from you being definitive to semantics.
As usual you moving the goal post.

What I said was posted by Smash...take a bit and read it.

The 300 is less than BP and She'll paid to settle the transfer pricing racket, and until we know what the rest of the deal is we don't know what the return on that 300 is.
ETA: That said BP agreed to pay 1B USD to GORTT for the settlement of legacy issues- which as Poten states was a loss of 6B USD per year 2010-2014...
Was the TAR a condition a concession or a rank speculation on the GORTT s part.?
Smash posted a model that put payback north of 10 years...
So classifying it as wrong is pure speculation on your part. And yes we all know yuh wok dey...but unless you have access to that info..'yuh wok dey 'is irrelevant.

The return on that 300 could be zero or a bazillion.
It's yet to be determined.
But hey continue to lather yourself up...Zoom seems to be enjoying the visuals.Allyuh seem into that kinda exchange.
Last edited by Redman on July 23rd, 2021, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 23rd, 2021, 7:52 am

Redman wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
I didn't.

If I'm wrong I'm wrong ....I have no issue with that...of course there is plenty yet to happen.

BP of course has changed their tune, as they are wont to do.
.As you say don't trust them.

Of course the point of the unitisation is to get away from the BP and Shells steering gas to specific trains,train one being the train that TnT has most visibility on the sales and marketing aspect.
BP also said all of that too.

https://www.bp.com/en_tt/trinidad-and-t ... antic.html

So we will see.

As to you and your lie well it went from you being definitive to semantics.
As usual you moving the goal post.

What I said was posted by Smash...take a bit and read it.

The 300 is less than BP and She'll paid to settle the transfer pricing racket, and until we know what the rest of the deal is we don't know what the return on that 300 is.
Was the TAR a condition a concession or a rank speculation on the GORTT s part.?
Smash posted a model that put payback north of 10 years...
So classifying it as wrong is pure speculation on your part. And yes we all know yuh wok dey...but unless you have access to that info..'yuh wok dey 'is irrelevant.

The return on that 300 could be zero or a bazillion.
It's yet to be determined.
But hey continue to lather yourself up...Zoom seems to be enjoying the visuals.Allyuh seem into that kinda exchange.
Buy you wrong

You need to apologize now

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » July 23rd, 2021, 9:18 am

zoom rader wrote:^^^ Redman can't answer you , he's got Habit7 balls in this mouth

zoom rader wrote: Buy you wrong

You need to apologize now

Ok ZR,
I am truly sorry that everytime Dragon lathers himself up-you get the urge to post something about gargling ballzzz.

Truly I am sorry.
but he seems to enjoy your support.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » July 23rd, 2021, 10:06 am

Cantmis wrote:https://newsday.co.tt/2021/07/22/shell-delivers-first-gas-from-barracuda-block/

There are ppl in this thread who get excited for bad news, so allow me to reemphasise this good news for the country.

Shell delivers first gas from Barracuda block
RIA CHAITRAM 19 HRS AGO

Shell Trinidad and Tobago has announced the production of gas at the Barracuda block in east Trinidad.

The energy company said first gas at Barracuda was reached on July 18, and the estimated production for Barracuda represented 100 per cent total gross figures.

In a media release on Thursday, Shell said Block 5C in the East Coast Marine Area (EMCA), known as Project Barracuda, is a backfill project with approximately 25,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day (boe/d) or 140 million standard cubic feet per day (mmscf/d) of sustained near-term gas production with peak production expected to be about 40,000 boe/d or 220 mmscf/d.

The Barracuda project comprises of two subsea wells, which are wholly owned by Shell — the Endeavour field and the Bounty field — which are both linked to Shell’s Dolphin platform.

According to Shell both wells are the deepest development wells, with Endeavour at a depth of 20,000 feet Bounty at 16,000 feet.

Director of integrated gas, renewable and energy solutions Maarten Wetselaar said the project signified a milestone in the delivery of gas domestically and internationally through Atlantic LNG.

He said, “Today’s announcement strengthens the resilience and competitiveness of Shell’s position in TT.”

“This is a key growth opportunity that supports our long-term strategy in the country as well as our global LNG growth ambitions.”

Shell is a major shareholder in Atlantic LNG, and equity in the Atlantic plant ranged from 46 per cent to 57.5 per cent in each of the four trains at the facility.

Senior vice president and country chair Eugene Okpere added that this project was Shell’s first greenfield project in the country, and one of its largest since the BG Group acquisition by Royal Dutch Shell plc.

“We are immensely proud of our people and the remarkable work it took to achieve this milestone, particularly given that drilling began in May 2020 during the covid19 pandemic.

“Our execution strategy had to be completely overhauled to deliver our business plan, all while working remotely. It required tremendous resilience, adaptability and commitment,” Okpere said.

The ECMA, Shell said, was one of the most prolific gas-producing areas in the country and was part of the company’s development strategy and was finding ways to access the significant volumes that exist in the ECMA and to bring it online.

Shell also added that first gas from Colibri project, a joint venture with Heritage Petroleum Company Limited, was expected in 2022.

Shell's announcement comes as it is in talks with Government and other Atlantic LNG shareholders – bpTT, China Investment Corporation and the National Gas Company– on the future of Atlantic's train one. Recently, reports suggested plans to decommission the plant but the Energy Ministry has said talks with shareholders are ongoing. Shell's production forecast signals a possible supply for train one which has been on a maintenance schedule since 2020 owing to a gas shortage.

Earlier this week, bpTT, the local subsidiary of British Petroleum, said it is unable to provide gas to train one after the disappointing results of exploration in the Columbus Basin in 2019, but assured it can deliver a supply for trains two, three and four.

One of the issues surrounding Atlantic LNG relates to the operational structure and shareholding of the Point Fortin-based facility, in which bpTT is the second largest shareholder.

Government has previously said train one would not be mothballed and there was the possiblity of sourcing a gas supply through NGC which has invested an estimated $250 million to $300 million to maintain its operations.

https://newsday.co.tt/2021/07/22/shell- ... uda-block/

wing
Riding on 18's

Postby wing » July 23rd, 2021, 10:32 am

Habit7 wrote:
Cantmis wrote:https://newsday.co.tt/2021/07/22/shell-delivers-first-gas-from-barracuda-block/

There are ppl in this thread who get excited for bad news, so allow me to reemphasise this good news for the country.

RIA CHAITRAM 19 HRS AGO

Shell Trinidad and Tobago has announced the production of gas at the Barracuda block in east Trinidad.

The energy company said first gas at Barracuda was reached on July 18, and the estimated production for Barracuda represented 100 per cent total gross figures.

In a media release on Thursday, Shell said Block 5C in the East Coast Marine Area (EMCA), known as Project Barracuda, is a backfill project with approximately 25,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day (boe/d) or 140 million standard cubic feet per day (mmscf/d) of sustained near-term gas production with peak production expected to be about 40,000 boe/d or 220 mmscf/d.

The Barracuda project comprises of two subsea wells, which are wholly owned by Shell — the Endeavour field and the Bounty field — which are both linked to Shell’s Dolphin platform.

According to Shell both wells are the deepest development wells, with Endeavour at a depth of 20,000 feet Bounty at 16,000 feet.

Director of integrated gas, renewable and energy solutions Maarten Wetselaar said the project signified a milestone in the delivery of gas domestically and internationally through Atlantic LNG.

He said, “Today’s announcement strengthens the resilience and competitiveness of Shell’s position in TT.”

“This is a key growth opportunity that supports our long-term strategy in the country as well as our global LNG growth ambitions.”

Shell is a major shareholder in Atlantic LNG, and equity in the Atlantic plant ranged from 46 per cent to 57.5 per cent in each of the four trains at the facility.

Senior vice president and country chair Eugene Okpere added that this project was Shell’s first greenfield project in the country, and one of its largest since the BG Group acquisition by Royal Dutch Shell plc.

“We are immensely proud of our people and the remarkable work it took to achieve this milestone, particularly given that drilling began in May 2020 during the covid19 pandemic.

“Our execution strategy had to be completely overhauled to deliver our business plan, all while working remotely. It required tremendous resilience, adaptability and commitment,” Okpere said.

The ECMA, Shell said, was one of the most prolific gas-producing areas in the country and was part of the company’s development strategy and was finding ways to access the significant volumes that exist in the ECMA and to bring it online.

Shell also added that first gas from Colibri project, a joint venture with Heritage Petroleum Company Limited, was expected in 2022.

Shell's announcement comes as it is in talks with Government and other Atlantic LNG shareholders – bpTT, China Investment Corporation and the National Gas Company– on the future of Atlantic's train one. Recently, reports suggested plans to decommission the plant but the Energy Ministry has said talks with shareholders are ongoing. Shell's production forecast signals a possible supply for train one which has been on a maintenance schedule since 2020 owing to a gas shortage.

Earlier this week, bpTT, the local subsidiary of British Petroleum, said it is unable to provide gas to train one after the disappointing results of exploration in the Columbus Basin in 2019, but assured it can deliver a supply for trains two, three and four.

One of the issues surrounding Atlantic LNG relates to the operational structure and shareholding of the Point Fortin-based facility, in which bpTT is the second largest shareholder.

Government has previously said train one would not be mothballed and there was the possiblity of sourcing a gas supply through NGC which has invested an estimated $250 million to $300 million to maintain its operations.

Is it only good news when was done under the yellow government or when the red government looks bad?

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » July 23rd, 2021, 10:37 am

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/transfer ... =prof-post)

This would be Anthony Paul reporting in 2018, the gORTT position on the MNCs.

Transfer Pricing in Trinidad & Tobago LNG: Government Confronts the Beast. Finally!
Published on April 7, 2018

Anthony (Tony) Paul

Energy & Strategy Advisor: Supporting Economic Justice for Owners of Extractive Resources

After years of failing to address the issue of transfer pricing, the government of Trinidad and Tobago finally woke up to confront the massive slippage, estimated by international consultants Poten and Partners at US$6.5 billion per year! Shell and BP have been declaring massive profits, ascribing these to "downstream" while declaring no profits in Trinidad and Tobago, from where a significant portion of their LNG business derives.

He has a large quantity of info in the article.

But suffice it to say that any one here expect BP/Shell not to push back on any attempt to reduce that income stream?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 23rd, 2021, 11:26 am

Habit7 wrote:

RIA CHAITRAM 19 HRS AGO

Shell delivers while the Red Government scares away the other investors

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 23rd, 2021, 11:29 am

wing wrote:
Habit7 wrote:

RIA CHAITRAM 19 HRS AGO

Is it only good news when was done under the yellow government or when the red government looks bad?

The Red government has destroyed or energy industries, Petrotrin gone and Pt Lisas is a scrap yard .

Our Skilled workforce have since migrated and we are left with Chamber maids and Waiters

Cantmis
punchin NOS

Postby Cantmis » July 23rd, 2021, 12:28 pm

zoom rader wrote:
Habit7 wrote:

RIA CHAITRAM 19 HRS AGO

Shell delivers while the Red Government scares away the other investors
This gas will be of no major rate increase/throughput if you know how much these plants require to be at 100% rates.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » July 23rd, 2021, 12:43 pm

Habit7 wrote:

RIA CHAITRAM 19 HRS AGO

So in the midst of all that good news :roll:
I know you and broken can't be referencing me in ollour LFD RFD PNM shenanigans as I have lauded the Tringen gas contract, Ruby etc.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » July 24th, 2021, 9:57 am

nobody happy for bad news. its just we understand what makes money in the oil/gas, and what doesnt.

an analogy to show how this tr1 TAR debacle is:
u and ur crew plan a lime in miami wiht some fete and shopping for a week or so. allyuh do a lil estimation and it working up to a 10k ah man. the places ur going, u reserving and u have to pay upfront.
the rest of the crew say they dont have passports or visas any time soon, so not going to sink no money into it. u up and say, u dont want de lime to bus, it go be bess, u will have stories to tell for years so u up and pay the WHOLEEE reservations for every body.
when u done make all the resrvations and payments, time reach to leave to go, nobody have passports or visas.

you spent de money, but no way to capitalize on it, and u only had 10% shares, so only really should have paid 10% of that TAR.

even if u get gas 2022 it will be half the rates. so ur recoup will be all 2027/8 to recover the TAR costs.
if u did wait till 2025 when u coud get a full plant worth of gas, and u only paid 10% of the TAR, u recoup that in 2026,,, the rest is profits.
10% of the 300m they took from ngc is 30m... thats like the cost of the laptops for the children. small change,

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » July 24th, 2021, 10:40 am

I get you. $300m TAR is nonsense.
But we should maintain the refinery open so it loses $2,000m a year with the hope to turn it around while demand for gasoline demand has peaked.

I get you.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » July 24th, 2021, 11:43 am

the refinery was a larger scale version of CEPEP, a national make wuk program. that might have been able to offer guyana, surinam refinery capacity. but say what, pnm know best.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » July 24th, 2021, 1:06 pm

Suriname already has their refinery no thank you. And the issue with PaP was never the source of crude, it is the efficiency of the plant. Gabon crude, Russia crude, Guyana crude, same hand full of salt.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » July 24th, 2021, 2:10 pm

nobody happy for bad news. its just we understand what makes money in the oil/gas, and what doesnt.

Yes but you are not unique in this knowledge/experience.
And the information as to whether this 300 is a profitable spend is undisclosed.

Maybe the 300 is repaid first on start up.
Maybe it's converted to equity.
Maybe it's strategic, taking up the slack when trains 2 and 3 come off contract..
Maybe the stated plan of unitisation is causal.
Maybe it is as you say, and they ballzed this up.

Your examples as based on everything remaining static.
And not without it's own basket of risk.
As is the GORTT course of action.

We will see.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 24th, 2021, 3:20 pm

Habit7 wrote:Suriname already has their refinery no thank you. And the issue with PaP was never the source of crude, it is the efficiency of the plant. Gabon crude, Russia crude, Guyana crude, same hand full of salt.
PaP was a dumping ground for red government friends and family to get employed via the back door .

The contact work program was another hugh scam of taking the money out. The very same heads are the ones that awarded themselves contacts.

Running of PaP under the red government was another Wasa.

Red government sucked the money out then killed the plant.

All the skilled workforce gone and the red government workers was shifted to other red government jobs via the back door.

This is his Rowlair and his Crooks runs this Cont tree

shaneelal
Riding on 16's

Postby shaneelal » July 28th, 2021, 6:03 am

Energy giant bpTT alerts Govt on major gas shortfall

Tue Jul 27 2021
Curtis Williams
In what must be a major disappointment for the Government and a sure blow to the country’s economic prospects, bpTT has told the Dr Keith Rowley administration that going forward it should expect much lower than forecasted natural gas production, with the shortfall being as high as 15 per cent this year and over ten per cent until 2024.

https://guardian.co.tt/news/energy-gian ... 5e4ede0c0d

Article:
Tue Jul 27 2021
Curtis Williams

Lead Editor Business

curtis.williams@guardian.co.tt

gas.jpg

In what must be a major disappointment for the Government and a sure blow to the country’s economic prospects, bpTT has told the Dr Keith Rowley administration that going forward it should expect much lower than forecasted natural gas production, with the shortfall being as high as 15 per cent this year and over ten per cent until 2024.

In a confidential series of documents which Guardian Media has obtained, bpTT also told the administration that it has sustained significant losses over the last five years, including a whopping $2.825 billion before tax last year.

The documents show that even with the announced projects like Matapal and Cassia C, while they will increase production by about 140 million standard cubic feet per day (mmscf/d) of gas, this will still fall short by an average of over 200 mmscf/d.

To put it into context, that is enough gas to run two methanol plants and more than 60 per cent of all the gas the country needs for electricity generation.

The news could not come at a worst time for the Rowley administration, already faced with the embarrassment of having spent quarter of a billion dollars in a desperate attempt to save Atlantic LNG’s Train 1 that is now likely to be mothballed. Sources said yesterday that Energy Minister Stuart Young will soon make an announcement on Train 1.

Guardian Media has been told the Minister last week asked the shareholders to give him time to take the matter to the Cabinet and put in place a public relations plan around the announcement, which will include the soon to be released improved financial performance of the NGC.

It also comes at a time when S&P Market Intelligence has downgraded the country’s economic outlook.

S&P Market Intelligence said, “The negative outlook reflects our view that there is at least a one-in-three chance we could lower the ratings over the next 12-to-24 months. We expect the decline in energy production to reverse over the next two years, and the economy to return to growth by next year. This uptick should significantly reduce the government’s fiscal deficit and eventually stabilise its net debt-to-GDP figures. However, it remains uncertain whether this improvement will be sufficient to bring per capita income back toward earlier levels, following five years of negative real GDP per capita growth, on a sustained basis.”

The release said while Trinidad and Tobago’s expected fiscal consolidation and its sizeable government assets will continue to support the investment-grade rating, S&P still expects “the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, together with the domestic energy sector downturn that began before, but was exacerbated by the pandemic, will result in per capita income that is 19% lower this year than it was a decade ago.”

As such S&P said, “We are revising our outlook on Trinidad and Tobago to negative from stable and affirming our ratings, including our ‘BBB-’ long-term sovereign credit rating, on the country.”

The following questions were sent to bpTT on the issue:

Can bpTT say whether it has revised its estimates of natural gas production downwards between now and 2030?

Can bpTT say what has occasioned the lower projected volumes?

Can bpTT say if it is unlikely to return to the 2bcf/d before the middle of the decade?

What does this reduced outlook mean for LNG supplies to T&T?

Is the limiting factor discoveries or investment?

However, bpTT’s response was guarded.

“We do not comment on long-term forecasts because they include assumptions on exploration and appraisal activity, unsanctioned projects and volumes from developments operated by others. These all carry a degree of uncertainty and are subject to change. Our goal remains to efficiently find and develop resources to satisfy our contractual obligations,” the energy giant said.

The bpTT forecast, which continues until the end of the decade, shows the company will not return to producing the two billion cubic feet of natural gas, thought by industry insiders as the linchpin to the country’s ability to meet all its gas requirements, and unless there are new players with large amounts of natural gas or the country has access to Venezuelan gas, the outlook for LNG and petrochemicals remains challenging.

For the Government, it means loss of opportunity to make money on other major fronts, less taxes on production at the wellhead and less netback prices on either LNG or petrochemicals if the country continues to have natural gas shortages.

bpTT has for decades been the largest single private-sector contributor to government revenue and foreign exchange earnings.

In many ways, the T&T economy has followed the success or failure of the company, from its days as Amoco with its huge oil discoveries off the coast of Mayaro, to the giant natural gas fields like Cassia and Red Mango.

It was based on those natural gas discoveries that the company was able to supply all the gas for the LNG Train 1, that of 500 mmscf/d.

Those days appear now gone and likely with it, any hope of the days of full LNG and petrochemical production.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » July 28th, 2021, 10:45 am

rule of thumb in the industry; u dont spend money unless u have an immediate and sure path to recoup that costs

the mere fact that bp has does the extraction woudl put them in place to know tru the grape vine if the prospects looking good or not, before presenting finalized reports.

is like, if they putting down a new layer of pitch all over, u know elections callin.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 28th, 2021, 10:55 am

sMASH wrote:rule of thumb in the industry; u dont spend money unless u have an immediate and sure path to recoup that costs

the mere fact that bp has does the extraction woudl put them in place to know tru the grape vine if the prospects looking good or not, before presenting finalized reports.

is like, if they putting down a new layer of pitch all over, u know elections callin.
While dat is true, you have red government running a parlour and dictating how private companies should run their shops

Ever get the feeling the red government is trying to make private companies operate like how the public service is ran as wishy washy don't care attitude

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » July 28th, 2021, 11:15 am

sMASH wrote:rule of thumb in the industry; u dont spend money unless u have an immediate and sure path to recoup that costs

Sounds like a very safe industry to be in-which industry rewards investment immediately and certainly?
Please provide some detail

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » July 28th, 2021, 11:55 am

when ur customer and supplier is the same person and u name ngc...

they still cant 'create' gas, is our leadership that said, 'TAR at all costs'... when bp and shell was shelving the plant till it became economically feasible. even without inside info that supply might be down, there were NO factors telling us that the TAR was a good investment.

if it have no gas, it have no gas. wait till 2025.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 28th, 2021, 1:56 pm

sMASH wrote:when ur customer and supplier is the same person and u name ngc...

they still cant 'create' gas, is our leadership that said, 'TAR at all costs'... when bp and shell was shelving the plant till it became economically feasible. even without inside info that supply might be down, there were NO factors telling us that the TAR was a good investment.

if it have no gas, it have no gas. wait till 2025.
A red government that runs a company and cont tree as a parlour.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » July 28th, 2021, 2:34 pm

iscott all over again,, lol.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 28th, 2021, 3:22 pm

sMASH wrote:iscott all over again,, lol.
I actually worked Iscott back then and then Indians took over the plant. Everyone made money. I remember Indians gave you production bonus per day under the table to avoid the taxes.

Was good times when the Indians was there. Leant alot from that plant all my PLC/HMI programming came from there.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”