TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Govt seek to recover $.5m for damaged bridge... feck sake!

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

janfar
punchin NOS

Govt seek to recover $.5m for damaged bridge... feck sake!

Postby janfar » November 6th, 2009, 5:25 am

WITH the little money he had saved, Rohan ’Bobby’ Maharaj started his own business 12 years ago. His employees were young men from his home village.

Over the years, he worked tirelessly to ensure that his family was always happy, his father, Roopnarine Maharaj, 70, said yesterday.

The 36-year-old father of three was burnt to death along with his two employees-Kishore Kumar and Anil Mohammed-when his ten-wheeler truck crashed into the Bailey Bridge in Macoya around 1.15 yesterday morning.

Police said the men were trapped inside the vehicle when it burst into flames on impact.

An eyewitness said: ’I was returning from the airport when I saw the truck. It crashed into the bridge and immediately burst into flames. I pulled aside and rushed out to help, but I could not get through the flames.’

The man, who visited the Express South office yesterday, broke down in tears when he recalled the men begging for someone to help them.

’They were screaming and begging for help. Then all of a sudden they went silent,’ he said.

Relatives said the three were on their way to buy aggregate at National Quarries. Maharaj owned Bobby’s Stockpile Ltd at Lachoos Road, Penal, located downstairs the family’s home.

Roopnarine Maharaj said: ’He was the last of my five children and we lived together. He was a good person who started this business from scratch. This morning I heard my son from next door scream out and then he said someone called and said Bobby was in an accident.’

Maharaj’s two daughters and son-ages 12, eight and six-were being consoled by relatives yesterday. His wife, Anna, went to the Forensic Science Centre in St James to identify the body.

Two houses away, another family was mourning the loss of 30-year-old Kumar.

’I did not know where he was this morning. He was making a cook across the road with some friends and he did not come home. This morning someone came and told me that he went with Bobby and there was an accident,’ his mother, Jasodra Kumar, said.

Kumar said her son was a self-employed carpenter.

’But sometimes when things were slow he would work with Bobby. He would do anything he gets,’ she said.

Kumar, the first of four children, was not married and had no children.

At Mohammed’s home there were no mourners. His mother sat quietly on a bench outside.

’We don’t want her to know what happened until later because she is suffering with a heart ailment,’ a relative said.

The 30-year-old man was his parents’ only child.

’I don’t know what would happen if she finds out that her only child died. He was her everything,’ the relative said.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl ... =161553589

Govt will seek to recover $.5m for damaged bridge

Government will be seeking to recover $500,000-the estimated cost of repairing the Bailey Bridge damaged yesterday at Macoya-from the owner of the truck which did the damage.

Works Imbert Colm Imbert said yesterday that the owner of the truck ’in law’ was liable. He said he had already received an estimate for repairs to the bridge of $500,000.

’And we will be moving to recover it from the owner,’ he said.

He said it was regrettable that three people lost their lives.

A truck collided with the bridge at 1 a.m. yesterday, forcing the ministry to take the bridge out of service in order to conduct repairs.

Speaking at yesterday’s post-Cabinet news conference at the Diplomatic Centre in St Ann’s, Imbert said the bridge was well lit and there was proper signage when the accident occurred.

’It is the belief of those who have examined this accident that the truck was driving at an excessive speed,’ he said.

The ministry’s team conducting repairs was expected to complete their task by midnight and if all went well, the bridge should be back in service by then, Imbert said.

The Minister, however, stressed that a new bridge-a reinforced concrete bridge up to international standards, with a pedestrian walkway - was currently being constructed at that location. And that bridge is almost complete, he said, revealing that December 10 was the target date for its opening, ’by which time the Bailey Bridge would be removed and there should be free flow of traffic on the Churchill- Roosevelt Highway’.

On the damage to the Bailey Bridge at Balandra, Imbert said Government was currently assessing the cost, which would be very expensive.

’It has cost us millions of dollars to repair the bridge,’ he said.

r3iXmann
punchin NOS

Postby r3iXmann » November 6th, 2009, 5:32 am

isnt this covered in an insurance policy? (just asking)

kurpal_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby kurpal_v2 » November 6th, 2009, 5:39 am

^^ x2 it was said around the camp fire last night insurance paying it

quiot
Ricer

Postby quiot » November 6th, 2009, 5:52 am

damn greedy jackasses in d govt....

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » November 6th, 2009, 5:57 am

quiot wrote:damn greedy jackasses in d govt....

:roll: :roll: :roll: say the same when trucks pitch projectiles at you car and shatter your windshield and you have to pay thousands to replace it

kurpal_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby kurpal_v2 » November 6th, 2009, 6:34 am

hustla_ambition101 wrote:
quiot wrote:damn greedy jackasses in d govt....

:roll: :roll: :roll: say the same when trucks pitch projectiles at you car and shatter your windshield and you have to pay thousands to replace it

nope. I lol and think " How can an illiterate muffler bearing have a drivers permit?"

what did you think "keep 17meters away" was put on trucks for

THE SYNDICATE
punchin NOS

Postby THE SYNDICATE » November 6th, 2009, 6:49 am

in instances,being more than 17 meters away still not safe.u will still get hit by a projectile when behind a truck!

:|

*gov't un facking believable yes.* :evil:

metalgear2095
12 pounds of Boost

Postby metalgear2095 » November 6th, 2009, 6:53 am

people need to stop bouncing the damn bridge! almost every month they have to fix something there. slow the firetruck down and cross

White CZ4A
30 pounds of Boost

Postby White CZ4A » November 6th, 2009, 6:55 am

but the owner is dead...

so who has to pay? the family?

kurpal_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby kurpal_v2 » November 6th, 2009, 6:56 am

But you can also be hit by a projectile from a crimz dong hilux/spaceship.

Or big bertha.

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » November 6th, 2009, 6:59 am

So when fellas lick down the electricity pole and wrap their car around it - did they have to cover the cost to replace the pole?

When Giselle salandy damage the pillar was she liable to repair any damage that may have been caused?

If so well when those potholes damage our tyres and shocks the government should replace our tyres and shocks free.....

Lives were lost and all this Jackass could think about is going by the dead guy father and wife to get $500 000 to repair the bridge..

He never expressed his sadness that lives were lost.....Why cant they talk about the 2m Flag and the 10m for a party hall

Those idiots

Impbert!!!!

Skanky
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Skanky » November 6th, 2009, 7:03 am

kurpal_v2 wrote:

errr...it's so the driver can see you in his wing mirrors.

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » November 6th, 2009, 7:06 am

I don't get you people.. If they knocked down a traffice light and died just like many others the traffic light needs to be replaced.. Someone have to pay to replace that if deh dead or alive. Just don't run into a facking bridge cause you gonna pay $$$$$$$$$$$$$

No this is not Pioneer :|

Metallicork
Sweet on this forum

Postby Metallicork » November 6th, 2009, 7:09 am

Time to shoot manning in he facking head....This is real BS....When will people learn that power in numbers is the greatest....everyone looking for their own share but while they get their own share ppl around them suffering....How can one man watch another and see hime struggling.....The human heart is so weak......

When will this end with this facking government?????????????

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » November 6th, 2009, 7:11 am

Picasso wrote:I don't get you people.. If they knocked down a traffice light and died just like many others the traffic light needs to be replaced.. Someone have to pay to replace that if deh dead or alive. Just don't run into a facking bridge cause you gonna pay $$$$$$$$$$$$$

No this is not Pioneer :|

We all already pay taxes to cover expenses of this country....Better to use our money to repair infrastructure than buy a 2m flag and a 10m party hall for the govt

mitsu_chick941
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby mitsu_chick941 » November 6th, 2009, 7:16 am

Imbert nasty mc :evil: :evil: :evil:

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » November 6th, 2009, 7:22 am

You damage Government property you gotta pay talk done.. You should see the cost of a traffic light your same government put out to purchase using your tax $'s .. what is wrong with them sending you the bill if you fack it up ? Thousands of individuals pass along that route daily why he ran into the bridge ? Speeding in the wee hours in the morning ? I understand the loss to the family and I saw the news report... Hell I saw the truck on fire yesterday morning while heading east. People need to understand that if you knock down a street sign,fack up a traffic light, damage, the side rail on the highway, knock down a lamp post .... etc... you gotta pay to repair or replace it and your bill will come once you are alive. :|

Pioneer out :|

Mini
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Mini » November 6th, 2009, 7:22 am

kurpal_v2 wrote:what did you think "keep 17meters away" was put on trucks for

i always thought it had to do with the air brakes

anyways... i think it's a good move by the government... the owner may have paid with his life (and RIP to him and the other two), but there must be some accountability somewhere

kurpal_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby kurpal_v2 » November 6th, 2009, 7:24 am

Skanky wrote:
kurpal_v2 wrote:

errr...it's so the driver can see you in his wing mirrors.

Duely noted skanky man, but don't you think if drivers kept 17meters off a trucks rear gate the chance of gravel falling and hitting your car is somewhat lessened?

Or does the gravel bounce off the asvalt at 7m and remain air-bourne for the remaining 10m's till contact with your car?

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » November 6th, 2009, 7:25 am

Do we have Impbert inside this forum?

evo-STI-k

Postby evo-STI-k » November 6th, 2009, 7:27 am

hottgyul wrote:Imbert nasty mc :evil: :evil: :evil:

well said.

so if we take into consideration the number of times that IMBERT has been directly responsible for fcukups in this country- Imbert should be shackled and tekking plick every day of his life for the next 10 lifetimes.

:roll: :twisted:

IS he REALLY that insensetive???? people now lost their lives and hes looking to recover funding for repairs , no colondences?

YES- your govr really cares about you!

FACK THE pnm !

KAPTFAST

notice the B has been replaced by a "P" firgure it out yourselves!

SmokeyGTi
punchin NOS

Postby SmokeyGTi » November 6th, 2009, 8:22 am

Picasso wrote:You damage Government property you gotta pay talk done.. You should see the cost of a traffic light your same government put out to purchase using your tax $'s .. what is wrong with them sending you the bill if you fack it up ? Thousands of individuals pass along that route daily why he ran into the bridge ? Speeding in the wee hours in the morning ? I understand the loss to the family and I saw the news report... Hell I saw the truck on fire yesterday morning while heading east. People need to understand that if you knock down a street sign,fack up a traffic light, damage, the side rail on the highway, knock down a lamp post .... etc... you gotta pay to repair or replace it and your bill will come once you are alive. :|

for once i agree. can't fault manning and imbert on that one... the owner of the truck will either have to settle privately or insurance will have to settle part of it, owner to pay excess.

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » November 6th, 2009, 8:26 am

SmokeyGTi wrote:
Picasso wrote:You damage Government property you gotta pay talk done.. You should see the cost of a traffic light your same government put out to purchase using your tax $'s .. what is wrong with them sending you the bill if you fack it up ? Thousands of individuals pass along that route daily why he ran into the bridge ? Speeding in the wee hours in the morning ? I understand the loss to the family and I saw the news report... Hell I saw the truck on fire yesterday morning while heading east. People need to understand that if you knock down a street sign,fack up a traffic light, damage, the side rail on the highway, knock down a lamp post .... etc... you gotta pay to repair or replace it and your bill will come once you are alive. :|

for once i agree. can't fault manning and imbert on that one... the owner of the truck will either have to settle privately or insurance will have to settle part of it, owner to pay excess.

He dead!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

urabus
Sweet on this forum

Postby urabus » November 6th, 2009, 8:28 am

so many accidents have occured at that temporary bridge - were any other victims or their families called upon to pay the repair costs to the gov't?

but this lovely gov't can spent $x on a flag and more $x on the PM's residence and on the water front project and the art center...give the family a break imbert!

why don't imbert send out condolences to these 3 men family members instead

*$kїđž!™
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *$kїđž!™ » November 6th, 2009, 8:34 am

cute corolla wrote:so many accidents have occured at that temporary bridge - were any other victims or their families called upon to pay the repair costs to the gov't?

but this lovely gov't can spent $x on a flag and more $x on the PM's residence and on the water front project and the art center...give the family a break imbert!

because they are rich kings and they guys who died are poor peasant folk

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » November 6th, 2009, 8:36 am

how many light poles that were damaged in accidents actually changed...

two light poles in palmiste were destroyed this year alone where lives were lost and they have yet to be replaced....

firetruck THE PNM

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » November 6th, 2009, 8:40 am

Nigson wrote:
cute corolla wrote:so many accidents have occured at that temporary bridge - were any other victims or their families called upon to pay the repair costs to the gov't?

because they are rich kings and they guys who died are poor peasant folk

yes so if yuh doh wah pay for it take yuh dam time on the road.. ( do as I say and not as I do )

ismedave
Ricer

Postby ismedave » November 6th, 2009, 8:41 am

cute corolla wrote: why don't imbert send out condolences to these 3 men family members instead

Cause all dem government ministers surpass the height of arrogance! Instead of offering sympathy by sensitively dealing with this matter, Impse-bert had to come on national television and publicly announce that he going to claim for state damages on the very same day that the guy died in the accident!!!...The 2M for the flag and the 10M for the concert hall were distinctly out of place but this one!, this is totally ridiculous...

The height of arrogance on the part of these government ministers label them as definite COLD HEARTED DICTATORS of this country! Apparently they could do what they want and get away with it!

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » November 6th, 2009, 8:42 am

ismedave wrote:
cute corolla wrote: why don't imbert send out condolences to these 3 men family members instead

Cause all dem government ministers surpass the height of arrogance! Instead of offering sympathy by sensitively dealing with this matter, Impse-bert had to come on national television and publicly announce that he going to claim for state damages on the very same day that the guy died in the accident!!!...The 2M for the flag and the 10M for the concert hall were distinctly out of place but this one!, this is totally ridiculous...

The height of arrogance on the part of these government ministers label them as definite COLD HEARTED DICTATORS of this country! Apparently they could do what they want and get away with it!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

urabus
Sweet on this forum

Postby urabus » November 6th, 2009, 8:52 am

yet still our TOP COP...cudda see it fit to send condolences to the 3 bandits who were shot an killled by police in carlsen field after an attempted kidnapping went sour

where are their priorities?
who are their priorities?

i think our same 'tax payers' money should be used to repairs that blight bridge!
after all they using it helter skelter to build big fancy building to woo the rest of the world

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”