Forums

The Religion Discussion

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: The Religion Discussion

Postby bluefete » June 16th, 2020, 5:31 pm

matr1x wrote:But when afros making negative statements about Hinduism it shows they are no.better than white supremacists

True that!!

Ignorance is a hell of a thing.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » June 16th, 2020, 6:25 pm

So Roy is Mero?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » June 16th, 2020, 7:19 pm

matr1x wrote:But when afros making negative statements about Hinduism it shows they are no.better than white supremacists
Ask the tuner mods that.

One eye constantly attacks injuns and their Hindu religion.

The mods on tuner let him get away way without a bann.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » June 17th, 2020, 7:49 am

And it keeps on coming:

https://www.insider.com/white-atlanta-m ... ing-2020-6

Atlanta megachurch pastor apologizes for saying that people might find 'white blessing' more palatable than 'white privilege'
Rhea Mahbubani 15 hours ago

Louie Giglio, speaking here in Nashville, Tennessee, in 2016, has been criticized for comments that refer to slavery as a "white blessing." Rick Diamond/Getty Images

Louie Giglio, a megachurch pastor from Atlanta, has apologized for comments he made at an online church service Sunday where he recommended using the phrase "white blessing" instead of "white privilege."

Chick-fil-A CEO Dan Cathy and rapper Lecrae joined Giglio for an "open and honest conversation around how racism has plagued our city for generations, and the steps we can all take to confront it head-on in our church, our neighborhoods, and our hearts," according to Newsweek.

Giglio, the head of Passion City Church, said that white people regret slavery, but also recognize that they benefited from it.

"We understand the curse that was slavery, white people do, and we say, 'That was bad,' but we miss the blessing of slavery — that it actually built up the framework for the world that white people live in and lived in," Giglio said.

However, Giglio said, the phrase "white privilege" is too abrasive to discuss the phenomenon.

"When you say those two words, it's like a fuse goes off for a lot of white people because they don't want somebody telling them to check their privilege," he said.

So Giglio suggested a new phrase.

"I know that you and I both have struggled in these days with 'Hey, if the phrase is the trip up, let's get over the phrase and let's get down to the heart, let's get down to what then do you want to call it,'" he told Lecrae. "And I think maybe a great thing for me is to call it 'white blessing.'"

"That I'm living in the blessing of the curse that happened generationally that allowed me to grow up in Atlanta," he continued.

Giglio's comments received backlash online.

Giglio responded by trying to walk back his comments and clarify what he meant.

He wrote on Twitter Monday that he was "not seeking to refer to slavery as blessing — but that we are privileged because of the curse of slavery. In calling it a privilege/benefit/blessing — word choice wasn't great. Trying to help us see society is built on the dehumanization of others. My apology, I failed."

In a subsequent video posted on Twitter Tuesday, Giglio issued an apology to everyone watching and particularly to his "Black brothers and sisters."

"I like so many and am so burdened by what is happening in our nation right now, and I'm heartbroken about where we are as a nation," he said. Something that's critical, Giglio said, is for him and other white people to continue learning about the fact that "white privilege is real."

Reiterating that deeming it a "white blessing" was a "horrible choice of words," Giglio said, "It does not reflect my heart at all." The point he was trying to make is that he and other white people "sit in large part where we are today because of the centuries of gross injustice done" to generations of Black Americans, he said.

The issue of racism has reverberated across the globe after the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis on May 25. Tens of thousands of Black Lives Matter protesters have rallied for the end of police violence, particularly toward minority communities and people of color.

death365
Riding on 18's

Postby death365 » June 29th, 2020, 7:56 am

OK I does always always always come back to these words...

It's time for you to love one another
It's time for you to recognize your brother
It's time for us to stop killing our mother
It's time for us to take care of each other

It's complete truth. All religions is so devisive.

Oh I born or convert into x from y and my religion right and everybody else wrong...

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » June 29th, 2020, 8:04 am

death365 wrote:OK I does always always always come back to these words...

Oh I born or convert into x from y and my religion right and everybody else wrong...

ironically yesterday a presbyterian minister was telling me how all religions are about unity :lol:

death365
Riding on 18's

Postby death365 » June 29th, 2020, 8:17 am

MG Man wrote:

ironically yesterday a presbyterian minister was telling me how all religions are about unity :lol:

search corporate avenger bible is.... its a quote from that song

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » June 29th, 2020, 8:18 am

MG Man wrote:

Hahahahahaa!!!!
The irony is so much more rich given the Presbyterian model in Trinidad.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » June 29th, 2020, 8:27 am

Dizzy28 wrote:
MG Man wrote:

Hahahahahaa!!!!

So which model do you think the politicians follow?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » June 29th, 2020, 8:29 am

bluefete wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:
MG Man wrote:

Hahahahahaa!!!!

So which model do you think the politicians follow?

The one that making sure you tithe every month even if you unemployed

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » June 29th, 2020, 9:52 am

Dizzy28 wrote:
MG Man wrote:

Hahahahahaa!!!!

yeah I found it hilarious
gotta admire their marketing model though...ever been to a presbyterian prayer meeting and they break out the 'christian bhajans'? That's pure genius, considering their target is primarily hindus with weak self worth....the whole 'eah we not too different to you, just better / easier' pitch
Cue the Harrylalls and Dhanpauls :lol:

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » June 29th, 2020, 10:02 am

MG Man wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:
MG Man wrote:

Hahahahahaa!!!!

yeah I found it hilarious
gotta admire their marketing model though...ever been to a presbyterian prayer meeting and they break out the 'christian bhajans'? That's pure genius, considering their target is primarily hindus with weak self worth....the whole 'eah we not too different to you, just better / easier' pitch
Cue the Harrylalls and Dhanpauls :lol:

I attended Hillview bruv. Put up with 7 years of that!!! Even the names of the early Churches are Hindi - Aramalaya and Susamachar
Went though Reverends Elahie, Cyril Paul and Teelucksingh.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » June 29th, 2020, 10:53 am

lol yeah I went Naps, so I got a lil taste of it, but in my day, the principal never pushed it on us. Morning assembly was seldom ever religious
Joy Abdul did my wedding. Back then, I thought I was hindu...so for two marriage counselling sessions, she fixated on why she hates doing mixed-religion marriages (doomed to failure unless one converts to the right religion), how hindu ppl blindly do 'what de pundit say' (never mind my wife to be was equally clueless about the bible, but I held my tongue), and that she'd eventually convert me

She literally did zero on the challenges of married life and how to prepare for the life change etc....after two sessions, we never went back

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » June 29th, 2020, 11:22 am

Kokaram as our Principal wasn't overly zealous either. But ah mean he did give all his kids Hindi names - Anil, Vashiest, Nalini and Kavishti.

But my parents taught me to be respectful and learn about all religions so I attended the Interschool Christian Fellowship (ISCF) in Forms 1 and 2.

TBH it was nothing a free thinking mind could easily overcome.

WRT weddings I believe Hinduism is the weakest when it comes to martial issues. There is little to no real world advice beforehand and not sure if it is cultural more than religious but everything has to be hidden as its treated as a big shame.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » July 6th, 2020, 7:07 pm

bluefete wrote:Great article. Very well researched. Excellent read. Not for the faint-hearted.

https://wired868.com/2020/06/15/claudes ... sed-jesus/

Claude’s comments: The origins of white supremacy and role of Columbus, Victoria and an ‘Italianised’ Jesus

I found this today. An account of the direct eyewitness observation of Columbus and pals by Bartolomé de las Casas in 1502.

Source: Empire, Colony, Genocide: Conquest, Occupation, and Subaltern Resistance in World History (War and Genocide) 1st Edition
by A. Dirk Moses (Editor)

Pretty disgusting eh? And we celebrate this individual with statues and holidays without mentioning these things?!
8 million population down to 100,000. This is worse than what the Nazis did. Systematically wiped out a native people with the blessing, resources and legality of the Spanish State. Resources which they raped from the natives.

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » July 6th, 2020, 7:46 pm

maj. tom wrote:
bluefete wrote:Great article. Very well researched. Excellent read. Not for the faint-hearted.

https://wired868.com/2020/06/15/claudes ... sed-jesus/

Claude’s comments: The origins of white supremacy and role of Columbus, Victoria and an ‘Italianised’ Jesus

I found this today. An account of the direct eyewitness observation of Columbus and pals by Bartolomé de las Casas in 1502.

Source: Empire, Colony, Genocide: Conquest, Occupation, and Subaltern Resistance in World History (War and Genocide) 1st Edition
by A. Dirk Moses (Editor)

Pretty disgusting eh? And we celebrate this individual with statues and holidays without mentioning these things?!
8 million population down to 100,000. This is worse than what the Nazis did. Systematically wiped out a native people with the blessing, resources and legality of the Spanish State. Resources which they raped from the natives.

Maybe the statue should have never been erected in the first place but the fact that it has been should it be removed now? Where will it end? At the height of idiocy they are currently trying to remove a Columbus statue from a town called COLUMBUS Ohio. In history there were bloody expeditions called the crusades which killed untold amounts of people but we still have religious gatherings carrying the name, should we prohibit those to while infringing on freedom of speech and religious freedom? Ben Shapiro explains it beautifully that tearing down statues isn't necessarily about statues themselves but rather a deeper attack on western values
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jn4dzucD_o[/youtube]

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » July 6th, 2020, 8:18 pm

The time of reckoning has come for humanity to look at ourselves.
Western values are definitely not as great as what you think they are. Even the US Constitution itself has always been a lie.

The 2nd paragraph states: ""We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness."

Except they didn't mean black people did they? Nope, and why don't you read the "Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave (1845)" his own words that he wrote when he was freed from being a slave, or watch "12 years a Slave (2013)" to recap how that went for the black people. I dare you to sit and watch it and then read that paragraph over and over. DO IT!!!
And what about the Native Americans and that completed genocide of an entire Nation of Tribes and territories? Land that today is sitting there empty and void of any population, raped from the Native peoples who were massacred.
The US Constitution states of them "the merciless Indian Savages, whose known Rule of Warfare, is an undistinguished Destruction, of all Ages, Sexes and Conditions." Was any of that true? Wasn't it those so called Western Civilization full of values the ones who invaded the natives' lands and took their resources, murdered their women and children? Western Values right?

What about the conquest of the Philippines? Guam? Hawaii? Oh wait wait, i get it now. The US Constitution was written with White Supremacy as the context. All these peoples weren't recognized as men, only white men were men recognized by the law right? Only WHITE men were created equally right? And you can see how throughout US history how these attitudes have remained and built that nation. The Trail of Tears, Jim Crow Laws, the Civil Rights movement fights... always ignoring their own written constitution, even as times changed. Good people had to fight, had to protest and riot, had to die for them to create entire new Amendments for people to be recognized as equal. What about the discrimination toward Jews being accepted into Universities because of the Jewish Quota? Richard Feynman, one of the most brilliant men who ever lived on earth was victim to this practice. What about the Tuskegee experiment? Western Values right?

USA has always been one of the most terrible countries in the modern world regarding human and civil rights. Some people still believing their Cold War propaganda BS and hatred of the invisible enemy that doesn't exist, the commies who want to destroy their Western values. Oh btw, why the fcuk America was even in Vietnam? Or Nicaragua? Or Iraq? Because of their great Western Values right? They were saving the world from evil Communism and Dictatorships right? Glorious America, while they were kicking their own black people in their ass in Alabama and Mississippi. While they were beating down their own people who are gay and transgender. While they were putting Native Americans on Reserves without basic human rights. Such freedom, much values.

So yes, it's time to re-examine humanity and what you think are the good old Western Values. It's time to change our society to match the changing times and to match our current knowledge of how civilization works. Was Churchill a great man? Definitely yes! But what else did he do, what atrocities did he also commit? We have to constantly be examining ourselves to be better, to know the truth about our own history so we don't repeat such terrible things. Terrible things that we tend to gloss over in our history books so that human history would appear to be some great heroic effort with no mention just how compromising our own actions have been to our future. And then we would repeat them because we didn't learn the lessons. We would repeat slavery and great wars and genocides in 500 years because we didn't learn about that bloody, evil reality that makes us human. You know Hitler did great things for Germany? But he also did very terrible things. If they had won, how would history be written? Like full of Western Values?

And Ben Shapiro is a terrible human with terrible ideals. Have you ever read what the Lakota Sioux people themselves think of Mt. Rushmore, considered sacred holy ground (The Six Grandfathers) to them, that was their land stolen from them? Why they couldn't build their White Supremacy symbols of Civilization somewhere else? It's because Native Americans weren't considered equal people, they weren't part of that "All men were created equal" bit. If you stop watching his videos you won't become brainwashed like the lower IQ portion of America's population, and you would stop quoting his ideas publicly, the ideas of such an atrocious person full of misguided political fervor. Such people always have a very limited knowledge of history and how to interpret its context, but always believe that they're right. And that's how they pick up their followers on YouTube with their garbage preaching, with their freedom of speech, as well as freedom from morality and common sense.

philliprock
3NE 2NR for life

Postby philliprock » July 27th, 2020, 12:44 am

Im a good guy why must i face such hell on a daily basis

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » July 27th, 2020, 9:25 am

Great points below. People always get upset when you show them how the USA has used a Christian God to justify their nefarious deeds.

maj. tom wrote:What about the conquest of the Philippines? Guam? Hawaii? Oh wait wait, i get it now. The US Constitution was written with White Supremacy as the context. All these peoples weren't recognized as men, only white men were men recognized by the law right? Only WHITE men were created equally right? And you can see how throughout US history how these attitudes have remained and built that nation. The Trail of Tears, Jim Crow Laws, the Civil Rights movement fights... always ignoring their own written constitution, even as times changed. Good people had to fight, had to protest and riot, had to die for them to create entire new Amendments for people to be recognized as equal. What about the discrimination toward Jews being accepted into Universities because of the Jewish Quota? Richard Feynman, one of the most brilliant men who ever lived on earth was victim to this practice. What about the Tuskegee experiment? Western Values right?

USA has always been one of the most terrible countries in the modern world regarding human and civil rights. Some people still believing their Cold War propaganda BS and hatred of the invisible enemy that doesn't exist, the commies who want to destroy their Western values. Oh btw, why the fcuk America was even in Vietnam? Or Nicaragua? Or Iraq? Because of their great Western Values right? They were saving the world from evil Communism and Dictatorships right? Glorious America, while they were kicking their own black people in their ass in Alabama and Mississippi. While they were beating down their own people who are gay and transgender. While they were putting Native Americans on Reserves without basic human rights. Such freedom, much values.

So yes, it's time to re-examine humanity and what you think are the good old Western Values. It's time to change our society to match the changing times and to match our current knowledge of how civilization works. Was Churchill a great man? Definitely yes! But what else did he do, what atrocities did he also commit? We have to constantly be examining ourselves to be better, to know the truth about our own history so we don't repeat such terrible things. Terrible things that we tend to gloss over in our history books so that human history would appear to be some great heroic effort with no mention just how compromising our own actions have been to our future. And then we would repeat them because we didn't learn the lessons. We would repeat slavery and great wars and genocides in 500 years because we didn't learn about that bloody, evil reality that makes us human. You know Hitler did great things for Germany? But he also did very terrible things. If they had won, how would history be written? Like full of Western Values?

And Ben Shapiro is a terrible human with terrible ideals. Have you ever read what the Lakota Sioux people themselves think of Mt. Rushmore, considered sacred holy ground (The Six Grandfathers) to them, that was their land stolen from them? Why they couldn't build their White Supremacy symbols of Civilization somewhere else? It's because Native Americans weren't considered equal people, they weren't part of that "All men were created equal" bit. If you stop watching his videos you won't become brainwashed like the lower IQ portion of America's population, and you would stop quoting his ideas publicly, the ideas of such an atrocious person full of misguided political fervor. Such people always have a very limited knowledge of history and how to interpret its context, but always believe that they're right. And that's how they pick up their followers on YouTube with their garbage preaching, with their freedom of speech, as well as freedom from morality and common sense.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » July 27th, 2020, 9:28 am

philliprock wrote:Im a good guy why must i face such hell on a daily basis

What hell are you talking about?

You woke up today, you have access to a computer of sorts that you used your two hands to make this post.

Did you have something to eat today? Then what hell are you talking about?

Are you relatively healthy?

Everything is relative and perspective.

philliprock
3NE 2NR for life

Postby philliprock » August 29th, 2020, 11:23 am

bluefete wrote:
philliprock wrote:Im a good guy why must i face such hell on a daily basis

What hell are you talking about?

You woke up today, you have access to a computer of sorts that you used your two hands to make this post.

Did you have something to eat today? Then what hell are you talking about?

Are you relatively healthy?

Everything is relative and perspective.
Its my own little personal hell. Like everyone else.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » August 29th, 2020, 4:32 pm

People who see God as white are more likely to see white job applicants as leaders
Quartz
Lila MacLellan
QuartzAugust 28, 2020

As a child in New York City, Steven Roberts attended a predominantly Black church where—as is common in Black churches across the US—God and Jesus were depicted as white men.

Being watched and policed by a white Jesus was confusing, says Roberts, now an assistant professor of psychology at Stanford University and co-director of its Social Concepts Lab. Perhaps it was partly his pastor’s framing of God as a judge, he tells Quartz, but the contrast between the Black congregants and the all-seeing white man who featured prominently in the room, high and mighty, made him feel uncomfortable.

Many Black Americans have made similar observations. In a BBC interview in 1971, Muhammad Ali famously cataloged all the questionable “white” cultural symbols—including angels, the men in Leonardo da Vinci’s The Last Supper, and a blonde-haired, blue-eyed Jesus—that he would ask his mother about when he was a boy. The writer James Baldwin spoke of his community being victimized by “an alabaster Christ.” And more recently, Black Lives Matter activists have called to remove images of a white, Eurocentric Jesus—which are counterfactual—as intentional symbols of white supremacy in the US.

Scholars have documented how those depictions have supported a white supremacist agenda. And they’re beginning to investigate how the whiteness of divine images has impacted the mental landscape for Black Americans. Recent research led by Simon Howard, a psychology professor at Marquette University, suggested that white religious icons are linked to subtle anti-Black and more marked pro-white sentiment among Black Americans who have been exposed to those images.

Roberts is continuing that line of investigation. He led a team of psychologists for a study published this year in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology that investigated a related question: How does the race and gender assigned to a metaphysical God relate to real life ideas about who belongs in positions of leadership? And how might God’s whiteness contribute to overwhelmingly white and male corporate leadership?

They discovered that among US Christians and non-Christians alike, and among adults and children, the more people see God as white, the more likely they are to favor a white candidate for a corporate managerial role.

Roberts and his team are not suggesting that, on its own, the widely viewed image of a white God explains the grossly unequal racial representation in US corporate leadership. The reasons for that are myriad. But their results indicate that the widespread imagining of God as white has helped to build and protect the rigid racial hierarchy that exists in organizations.

“Racism is not about bad apples or people who hate other people,” says Roberts. “Racism is embedded in our images and in our school systems, it’s the air that we breathe. We’re all affected and infected by it.”

Western culture has wallpapered people’s psyches with images of a bearded supreme figure who is white and masculine. The effects of that conditioning on how we choose managers and CEOs need to be made visible.

“Draw a picture of God”

Roberts’ paper, co-authored by other Stanford researchers and psychologists from Vanderbilt and California Polytechnic State University, involved several studies that tried to get to heart of the dynamics between racialized leaders and religious figures.

First, controlling for racist, sexist, and conservative belief systems, the psychologists found that white Christians were indeed more likely to see God as white, whereas Black Christians were more likely to see God as Black. When asked to select candidates for a hypothetical leadership role at an invented company, participants who saw God as white were more likely to choose a white man for the role. But if someone saw God as Black, they were more likely to select a Black candidate.

“The extent to which God is conceptualized as White, which may be a deeply rooted intuition, predicted increased ratings of White candidates, even among Black Christians,” the study authors write.

For another study, the psychologists recruited Christian children of various races and asked them to draw pictures of God. Separately, they presented the kids with photos showing the faces of Black men and women, and followed up: “There are lots and lots of people at the place where I work,” the psychologists said. “But only three of them are bosses. Which three do you think are bosses?”

Both Black and white children depicted God as male and white, suggesting that this vision of God forms early in a person’s development, says Roberts, and is only later adjusted to match their in-group. And similarly to the adults who saw God as white in the first study, the children were not partial to Black faces as contenders for “boss.”

In brighter news, the children were just as likely to select women as men as bosses. For children, the psychologists surmised, God’s race was more relevant than God’s gender. Sadly, however, the first few studies all supported the hypothesis that the more adults and children see God as white, the more inclined they are to view white people as the best fit for a managerial role.

Who should rule the planet Zombot?

Roberts and his team also wanted to explore the association between God’s image and a leader’s physical attributes in isolation, outside of a strictly Christian context. What would happen if God had an entirely different identity? Asking people to picture God as a different race or gender was ruled out, so they dreamed up a fictional planet instead.

The planet used in their study, called Zombot, is inhabited by two peoples, Hibbles and Glerks. These peoples shared one supreme being, Liakbor, who “created everything on Zombot, including the water and lands, the grass and trees, and all of the creatures that live on it.”

Even on planet Zombot, the psychologists found that US Christian adults believed that Hibbles should rule when Liakbor was a Hibble, and that Glerks should rule when Liakbor was a Glerk. Neither group was expected to take control when the creator was a generic alien.

The psychological associations participants made between “God” and the beings that looked like God also worked in reverse: When shown images of one group—either Hibbles or Glerks—living in a fine castle on Zombot, participants assumed that Liakbor was of the same Zombotian extraction as that privileged tribe.

Roberts and his team then recruited 51 preschoolers of various backgrounds who had never heard of God at all and introduced them to Zombot. Like the adults, the four and five-year-olds in that study used “information about a fictional God to make inferences about who should be in leadership,” Roberts says. “It was one of the more important findings because it shows that this is not a Christian thing. It’s a psychological thing about, ‘What identity do you attribute to God?’”

What is going on?

Simon Howard at Marquette University—who was not involved in Roberts’ study, and also remembers being puzzled by a white Jesus in his childhood—calls the research “phenomenal.”

“It’s pretty compelling evidence when you take all his studies together and the interpretation is that the way in which people imagine or conceptualize deities does influence who they think should be in power,” he told Quartz.

Still, Roberts and his co-authors acknowledge the study’s limitations: It focuses on US culture and Christianity, and future research may want to pose the same questions in multiple cultures and among other faith groups. They ask: “Does the conception of God as a White man emerge among racial minorities in predominately European contexts, such as Germany and Sweden? What about in predominantly Black and Brown contexts with a heavy Christian influence, such as Ghana and Mexico?”

Howard, too, believes the color of God’s skin in famous paintings like Warner Sallman’s Head of Christ, which has been reproduced a billion times all over the world, is “part of the story,” but not the full explanation for the racial hierarchy in American business. He sees the relationship as mostly indirect.

“When someone in power shares racial membership with God or a boss-like figure in our lives, people might be reluctant to question those individuals,” Howard proposes. “If this person is likening themselves as a God…and we’re not necessarily supposed to challenge authority or challenge God, then we might be less likely to challenge the white men who are in positions of power. And if they’re going unchallenged, they may maintain power.”

In hiring practices, he says, a societal bias towards white candidates might be explained by associating Godliness with whiteness, meaning “whiteness is either superior or more competent than blackness or non-whiteness.”

The very existence of a white-dominated hierarchy also reinforces the notion that God is white, as Roberts’ Zombot study would suggest. We’re stuck in a kind of self-perpetuating loop of racial oppression. Its existence is real and meaningful, the authors write, no matter why God’s race was deemed white in the public imagination in the first place.

How do we change?

In a delightful moment within the mostly discouraging project, Roberts was leading a group of researchers working with children when he learned just how open young minds could be. One of the psychologists asked a child, “What does a boss look like?” The kid pointed at Roberts.

“It was so cute to me because it highlighted that they didn’t really know what we were talking about,” Roberts says. “And they have such a flexible concept. I’m not a white guy, so that was fun.”

But by adulthood, he says, “it’s just a whole different situation.”

Indeed, in another one of his studies, an adult participant who was shown a painting featuring a Black, female deity by the Afro-Cuban American artist Harmonia Rosales, left this written response for the researchers: “The artist is challenging the notion that #1 God is a man, #2 God is White. If I were at an art gallery and saw this painting, I would walk by shaking my head as it is just one more politically correct recreation of who God is. Disgusting! Oh, and I say this as an African American woman.”

That was shocking, says Roberts. It was also sobering evidence about how adults might reject or even be repulsed by information that challenges their long-established vision of God’s human form. To address racial inequities in leadership by asking people to rethink God’s skin color or gender might not be fruitful.

Addressing this issue early in a person’s life, when children are still forming their ideas about the world, might be the best way to disrupt the pattern of mental model making. “My belief is that kids don’t come into the world with this belief that there’s a white man floating in the sky. That’s something you learn,” says Roberts, who also teaches a popular undergraduate class called How to Make a Racist. “Nobody enters into the world wanting to believe that some people are more deserving or better than others; that’s something that people learn and pick up on the way, and that has consequences,” he says.

The study offers “clear evidence to suggest that if kids don’t have that belief in mind, they’re not going to make that inference that whoever God is, whoever shares that identity on Earth is actually the best,” he continues. “But the problem is: how do we, in practice, prevent them from getting that concept?”

“Maybe with this research and other work, teachers, educators, everyone can start to think: How can we prevent those things being learned? How do we prevent ourselves from even teaching those things? How do we change?”

Simon also argues for rethinking the religious imagery children are exposed to in the same way that Americans are now questioning Confederate symbols. “A Confederate statue conveys a certain meaning, and if people think that they should come down based on what they represent, then why aren’t we having that same conversation about statues and images of Jesus being portrayed as white?” he asks. “We’re not ready as a society to have that conversation, but it’s one that should be had, because—and I say this without any reservation—I think images of Christ portrayed as white are white supremacy in plain sight.”

The members of Roberts’ Social Concepts Lab are also studying interracial relationships and racism within science. The findings of their work, Roberts says, doesn’t lay blame for racist outcomes with one group or even bad intentions. “Nobody is saying that the church is bad or this kind of relationship is bad,” he explains, “We’re just saying, ‘Hey look, race and racism in our images and our culture has implications for how we behave. It has implications for who we elect to leadership positions as implications for who we fall in love with.”

Black ministers who have been talking for decades about how damaging it is to portray God as white have written to Roberts with notes of gratitude. “They’ve been trying to preach to their congregations and to people about how these images can be damaging,” he says, “but no one ever believed them.” Now they have the data as proof.

https://qz.com/work/1893701/how-white-d ... yptr=yahoo

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » November 20th, 2020, 9:22 pm

https://www.rt.com/news/507318-vatican- ... am-liking/

rt wrote:

Vatican launches probe into how Pope's Instagram account ‘liked’ picture of scantily-clad Brazilian model

20 Nov, 2020 14:45

The Vatican has opened an investigation after the Pope's Instagram account was caught “liking” a raunchy picture of a Brazilian model posing in a sexy schoolgirl outfit, an official said on Friday.

Reports and screenshots last week showed that the account of Pope Francis, which has 7.4 million followers, had hit like on the sultry snap of glamour model Natalia Garibotto, 27. 

“At least I'm going to heaven,” the model joked upon receiving the Pope's unlikely blessing, which was removed by a member of his social media team a day later. 

“As far as we know the ‘like’ did not come from the Holy See,” a papal spokesperson told the BBC. 

They added that the Vatican and Instagram were trying to establish where the like had originated.

The Pope's Instagram account – Franciscus – does not appear to have liked any other posts and does not follow any other accounts.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » November 20th, 2020, 9:31 pm

sMASH wrote:https://www.rt.com/news/507318-vatican-probe-garibotto-instagram-liking/

rt wrote:

Vatican launches probe into how Pope's Instagram account ‘liked’ picture of scantily-clad Brazilian model

20 Nov, 2020 14:45

The Vatican has opened an investigation after the Pope's Instagram account was caught “liking” a raunchy picture of a Brazilian model posing in a sexy schoolgirl outfit, an official said on Friday.

Reports and screenshots last week showed that the account of Pope Francis, which has 7.4 million followers, had hit like on the sultry snap of glamour model Natalia Garibotto, 27. 

“At least I'm going to heaven,” the model joked upon receiving the Pope's unlikely blessing, which was removed by a member of his social media team a day later. 

“As far as we know the ‘like’ did not come from the Holy See,” a papal spokesperson told the BBC. 

They added that the Vatican and Instagram were trying to establish where the like had originated.

The Pope's Instagram account – Franciscus – does not appear to have liked any other posts and does not follow any other accounts.

at least he's not a pedo

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » October 1st, 2021, 11:42 am

Wey look at cobweb in here lol. Anyways I just wanted to share a video. I know a lot of you are antichrists, anti religion and that is your decision. Fair enough. So you do not need to pay attention to the religious aspects of the video but look at the technology that is coming if not here already. I know you guys are adamant about scientific proof and logic.

https://subsplash.com/+d6kc/lb/mi/+69rj ... %2B82yxp8f

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 1st, 2021, 12:18 pm

eitech wrote:Wey look at cobweb in here lol. Anyways I just wanted to share a video. I know a lot of you are antichrists, anti religion and that is your decision. Fair enough. So you do not need to pay attention to the religious aspects of the video but look at the technology that is coming if not here already. I know you guys are adamant about scientific proof and logic.

religion is a con just like marriage

abducted
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby abducted » October 1st, 2021, 12:25 pm

eitech wrote:Wey look at cobweb in here lol. Anyways I just wanted to share a video. I know a lot of you are antichrists, anti religion and that is your decision. Fair enough. So you do not need to pay attention to the religious aspects of the video but look at the technology that is coming if not here already. I know you guys are adamant about scientific proof and logic.

What a waste of time, there's not an ounce of science there, it is just fear mongering with conspiracy theories, to get the flock to submit,

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » October 1st, 2021, 1:27 pm

abducted wrote:

What a waste of time, there's not an ounce of science there, it is just fear mongering with conspiracy theories, to get the flock to submit,

Thank you for your input

eitech
punchin NOS

Postby eitech » October 1st, 2021, 1:28 pm

zoom rader wrote:

religion is a con just like marriage

Thank you for your input

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » October 1st, 2021, 3:32 pm

I believe that there may be a higher power.At the same time, my relationship with that power is private.Nobody else can interpret it's ways to me, because I believe that they are just as ignorant as I am.Any religion is based on pure speculation.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”