TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Trinituner Fish Keepers, Aquarists & Aquascapers...

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Kasey
I LUV THIS PLACE

Re: Trinituner Fish Keepers, Aquarists & Aquascapers...

Postby Kasey » June 12th, 2018, 7:46 am

BIG BLUE wrote:
daron wrote:
BIG BLUE wrote:Good day fellow tuners where would I get a uv sterilizer at reasonable cost for and outdoors koi pond thank
Saw some by pet boys started cost was $750
Thanks for the information where is pet boys located

FYI, if your filtration system is adequate, and the water is moving as it should, you water should NOT get green. If it is happening, you need more water movement and filtration.

I have assisted many guys with this, and their water is now clear, and they do NOT have a UV Filter. I personally have three IBC tanks outside together with an aquarium in the bare sun. ALL have proper filtration and aeration and NO UV sterilizer and CRYSTAL CLEAR water. Just something you can investigate.

iarmd1
3NE 2NR for life

Postby iarmd1 » June 13th, 2018, 1:40 pm

I have a cichlid tank a while now just wondering I have two hang on back filers and wanted to know should I install something like a power head to move the water because I have pool sand as the substrate and a lot of waste and food settling at the bottom. So will a power head head the water at the bottom circulate a little more?

Kasey
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Kasey » June 14th, 2018, 7:38 am

iarmd1 wrote:I have a cichlid tank a while now just wondering I have two hang on back filers and wanted to know should I install something like a power head to move the water because I have pool sand as the substrate and a lot of waste and food settling at the bottom. So will a power head head the water at the bottom circulate a little more?

A couple of questions first:
1) What are the dimensions of your tank (LxHxW)?
2) What are the specifications of your filters (brand, size, model)?

Some things to consider also are that if you have food settling at the bottom, that is evidence of overfeeding. A rule of thumb for feeding fish is that when you feed your fish, after approximately 10 mins all the food should be eaten by the fish. If food remains, it may be signs of over feeding. Of course there are exceptions for this rule like if you have slow eating fish and so on, then considerations will have to be given. Another thing that many people don't know about fish feeding is that it is always better to UNDER-feed your fish than over feed. Over feeding can cause harmful toxins and poisons in the water by spoilt food and so on. Under feeding will jus slow fish growth, and their bodies adjust to it.

iarmd1
3NE 2NR for life

Postby iarmd1 » June 14th, 2018, 12:24 pm

Kasey wrote:
iarmd1 wrote:I have a cichlid tank a while now just wondering I have two hang on back filers and wanted to know should I install something like a power head to move the water because I have pool sand as the substrate and a lot of waste and food settling at the bottom. So will a power head head the water at the bottom circulate a little more?

A couple of questions first:
1) What are the dimensions of your tank (LxHxW)?
2) What are the specifications of your filters (brand, size, model)?

Some things to consider also are that if you have food settling at the bottom, that is evidence of overfeeding. A rule of thumb for feeding fish is that when you feed your fish, after approximately 10 mins all the food should be eaten by the fish. If food remains, it may be signs of over feeding. Of course there are exceptions for this rule like if you have slow eating fish and so on, then considerations will have to be given. Another thing that many people don't know about fish feeding is that it is always better to UNDER-feed your fish than over feed. Over feeding can cause harmful toxins and poisons in the water by spoilt food and so on. Under feeding will jus slow fish growth, and their bodies adjust to it.

The tank is 36x18. I have two hang in back 55g filter brand is tetra or aqua pure I think. As for the food it sinks almost as soon as I throw it. I wondering if I have to many stone .

Kasey
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Kasey » June 14th, 2018, 12:59 pm

OK well your filtration system is sufficient volume-wise. But it will now depend on how often you clean the filter pads. They filter will only do their job when the filter pads are not dirty.

And yes, if you have too many crevices where the food can be lodged, and where the fish may not be able to reach, you will def get that problem also.

It sounds like you feed them sinking pellets. For this type of fish they prefer floating food, as they are not scavengers. Now they will eat from the bottom eh, but you will then have to give them a clear tank bottom to feed. I suggest changing their food to floating pellets, and cleaning the filters at least once every two weeks. That should solve your problem.

iarmd1
3NE 2NR for life

Postby iarmd1 » June 14th, 2018, 3:00 pm

Kasey wrote:OK well your filtration system is sufficient volume-wise. But it will now depend on how often you clean the filter pads. They filter will only do their job when the filter pads are not dirty.

And yes, if you have too many crevices where the food can be lodged, and where the fish may not be able to reach, you will def get that problem also.

It sounds like you feed them sinking pellets. For this type of fish they prefer floating food, as they are not scavengers. Now they will eat from the bottom eh, but you will then have to give them a clear tank bottom to feed. I suggest changing their food to floating pellets, and cleaning the filters at least once every two weeks. That should solve your problem.

Thanks will change the food as for the pads I clean each one a week apart and do 30% water change about 5-7 days using syphoning and prob leave few rocks and monitor if any fighting and see how it goes

image91
Street 2NR

Postby image91 » June 15th, 2018, 12:52 pm

Does anyone know who has young Red Marlboro or Blue Turquoise Discus selling? Thanks.

d@v3
Street 2NR

Postby d@v3 » June 18th, 2018, 6:03 pm

Anyone interested in a 15inch arrowana about 7 months old

mazdamig
Riding on 17's

Postby mazdamig » August 10th, 2018, 4:51 pm

Image for sale

QuietGiant
3NE 2NR for life

Postby QuietGiant » August 22nd, 2018, 2:27 am

Woi brethren, just passin' thru to see if alyuh tanks was safe during the earthquake.
My 4-foot tank get rock-up but nothing serious, just lose some water.

Airtreking
Riding on 13's

Postby Airtreking » August 22nd, 2018, 7:21 am

Hi anyone have sps frags they want to trade for anchor coral?

Kasey
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Kasey » August 23rd, 2018, 8:41 am

Have some 3" African mbuna cichlids to get rid of. Some sky blue, and some light pink. going at $100 for 10!!!! Call 761-7699 to organize or whatsapp for pics.

dregz
3NE 2NR for life

Postby dregz » September 5th, 2018, 3:26 am

Back in the game after 15 years of nothing in this aquarium.

Yall have rel good info and advice here fellerz.
Bless up.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 5th, 2018, 10:17 am

Is that a real jellyfish?

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » September 5th, 2018, 10:24 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Is that a real jellyfish?

what el Jefe said

image91
Street 2NR

Postby image91 » September 5th, 2018, 10:29 am

Would think not, lol.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » September 5th, 2018, 11:20 am

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 5th, 2018, 11:35 am

Well thought I’d still ask lol

image91
Street 2NR

Postby image91 » September 5th, 2018, 2:44 pm

Would be nice though

dregz
3NE 2NR for life

Postby dregz » September 6th, 2018, 2:20 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Is that a real jellyfish?

Negative Sir. Just found it in a store.

QuietGiant
3NE 2NR for life

Postby QuietGiant » September 11th, 2018, 7:31 pm

I need some advice on my tank, i getting issues with it all of a sudden.

I have a 4 ft long aquarium (around 60gal) with a short front glass (1 ft) with a shubunkin, about 4 koi, a gourami, a comet, 2 neon tetra and a common pleco (all fish under 6 inches). I have a hang on back filter (cleans 40-60 gal) and a submersible sponge filter with an air stone. I rel paranoid about them getting enough oxygen, is this enough? The hob filter has a waterfall so that is 1 oxygen, the air stone is also oxygen plus the submersible sprays bubbles underwater, so is like 3 different oxygen devices.

Top of my water gets frothy/bubbly, is that good or bad? I just need to know if my filter is cleaning enough and if i have enough oxygen or too much? I lost a shubunkin yesterday plus one of the kois acting weird and staying on the bottom, even though he eating.

Kasey
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Kasey » September 12th, 2018, 8:14 am

How often do you do water changes? Note you are NOT actually giving the water oxygen, you are just mixing the water with air. And that can never be bad. However, if there is too much water 'current' or movement, the fish may get stressed. Frothy water may be an indication that the tank needs cleaning.

Try the following:
1) Do a water change (75%)
2) Observe the fish and see if the water movement is too much for them to swim against
3) Clean the tank (just a mild scrub because you don't want to remove too much beneficial bacteria)

image91
Street 2NR

Postby image91 » September 12th, 2018, 9:10 am

Did you add any medication to the tank? This sometimes cause froth as well.

Agreed with Kasey @ steps to be taken. Especially @ water change. Good luck bro.

QuietGiant
3NE 2NR for life

Postby QuietGiant » September 13th, 2018, 3:54 am

Kasey wrote:How often do you do water changes? Note you are NOT actually giving the water oxygen, you are just mixing the water with air. And that can never be bad. However, if there is too much water 'current' or movement, the fish may get stressed. Frothy water may be an indication that the tank needs cleaning.

Try the following:
1) Do a water change (75%)
2) Observe the fish and see if the water movement is too much for them to swim against
3) Clean the tank (just a mild scrub because you don't want to remove too much beneficial bacteria)

I do about a 35-45% water change once a week, recently did a 50% water change 2 days ago when i saw the butterfly koi acting strange, he was sitting on the (bare) bottom with fins clamped and when he see me he does swim normal, but his lower fins are clamped [and slightly reddish] when swimming. I offer them some dry shrimp and flakes last night and he came up and eat a good bit, so he's eating but still acting strange. I have the air pump on the lowest and someone told me to raise the water level so the hob filter wouldn't splash and cause more froth, so far it working. Tank has a few wide calm areas between the filters just in case they need to rest but the current isn't strong at all. They also told me the oil/froth is excess protein from waste or food so i might need to cut down on feeding.

Next water change i'll do an even bigger one as you suggested, recently had 2 submersible filters but i replaced one with the hang on back filter and keeping the other submersible as a backup or for a hospital tank. I stuck the old sponges in the hob to seed the new one but i find this new one is a flimsy skinny piece of square sponge that can barely hold bacteria, someone told me to ditch the crappy sponge/carbon it came with and make my own by using a bigger thicker sponge and put carbon in mesh bags in the filter. I'll do all that but i just really worried about that koi, since he's eating i hope he will make it.

QuietGiant
3NE 2NR for life

Postby QuietGiant » September 13th, 2018, 3:59 am

image91 wrote:Did you add any medication to the tank? This sometimes cause froth as well.

Agreed with Kasey @ steps to be taken. Especially @ water change. Good luck bro.

Thanks, will follow their steps first thing tomorrow. No meds at all, someone told me the oily froth was excess protein [waste and leftover food particles.] Really worried about that koi, losing that shubunkin hit me real hard because he used to act like a dolphin when i playing with him, was really nice. Currently looking for more shubunkins, the whitish blue-reflective ones with the red/black spots and black eyes. Only saw them once since and that was when i bought mine.

Kasey
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Kasey » September 13th, 2018, 10:10 am

Yes froth is indication of excess protein in the water hence I suggested a big water change.
If you can, check the water parameters to make sure the PH, and nitrate level is acceptable, just to safeguard against the other fish. If all is well, and all the other fish appear normal, your particular kois, may just be sick (internal parasite, bladder disorder, etc.), and may need isolation in case whatever has, is communicable.

kstt
Riding on 16's

Postby kstt » September 14th, 2018, 10:36 pm

Looking for ideas on how to keep an external pump primed when electricity goes and comes back on.

rmtuner
3NE 2NR for life

Postby rmtuner » September 16th, 2018, 9:16 pm

kstt wrote:Looking for ideas on how to keep an external pump primed when electricity goes and comes back on.

Install a check valve on the intake of the pump to store water in the line when it is off.

kstt
Riding on 16's

Postby kstt » September 17th, 2018, 6:52 am

rmtuner wrote:
kstt wrote:Looking for ideas on how to keep an external pump primed when electricity goes and comes back on.

Install a check valve on the intake of the pump to store water in the line when it is off.

Thx. I was wondering if 90 degree elbows on either side of the pump in the shape of a "U" will trap the water.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”