Forums

Lets talk CNG

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

sMASH
TunerGod

Re: Lets talk CNG

Postby sMASH » December 16th, 2020, 5:34 pm

kamakazi wrote:So just to clarify for persons who don't know, in Denso and NGK, the higher number indicates a colder plug.

I haven't looked extensively, and I don't know what plugs you use but I have easily found bkr6e-11 plugs. That dash 11 might be too large of a gap though
sMASH wrote:
Dave wrote:You stick to the manufacturer plug and in the case of NGK was a heat range 5 you use 6. In the case of Denso if OEM was 16 you use 20. Of course ask the tuner what is there experience also.

where u getting the higher heat range plugs?

i saw ngk had on thier website, specific for lpg/cng applications. but nobody down here(that i checked) have them. i looking online and not seeing them to buy.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » December 16th, 2020, 7:01 pm

Post a number, I can check

christopherwilliams2
Riding on 18's

Postby christopherwilliams2 » December 16th, 2020, 9:56 pm

thanks for all the advice.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » December 17th, 2020, 5:21 am

kamakazi wrote:So just to clarify for persons who don't know, in Denso and NGK, the higher number indicates a colder plug.

I haven't looked extensively, and I don't know what plugs you use but I have easily found bkr6e-11 plugs. That dash 11 might be too large of a gap though
sMASH wrote:
Dave wrote:You stick to the manufacturer plug and in the case of NGK was a heat range 5 you use 6. In the case of Denso if OEM was 16 you use 20. Of course ask the tuner what is there experience also.

where u getting the higher heat range plugs?

the site states they have cng/lpg plugs, but it doesnt open to a page.

checking, i got this as a 'colder' plug PLZKBR7A-G. that is the same dimensions of the hr16 plug, but a heat range of 7 instead of six. seeing those selling on amazon and thing about the same as here, but will hadda add skybox
wrt the gapping, could just re-gap, carburetor generation not frighten. i would assume actual cng plugs will have the correct gapping from factory.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » December 17th, 2020, 6:23 am

That plug interchanges to many other equivalent ones.
Some that may be easier to find such as in the IX line.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » December 17th, 2020, 6:39 pm

dtopshottas
3NE 2NR for life

Postby dtopshottas » February 16th, 2021, 1:58 pm

Regapped from 1.1 to 0.98 and I can say the car is more responsive even when cold. Has anyone used gapped plugs for extended use? And what's the trade off?

killercow
Riding on 17's

Postby killercow » February 16th, 2021, 3:39 pm

dtopshottas wrote:Regapped from 1.1 to 0.98 and I can say the car is more responsive even when cold. Has anyone used gapped plugs for extended use? And what's the trade off?
Where / how you did the regapping?

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » February 16th, 2021, 5:15 pm

Simply done. Simple tap on the ground electrode and a feeler gage.
Closer the gap means a stronger spark and less strain on the coil.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » February 16th, 2021, 6:31 pm

what dave said.

is that regular spark plugs or iridium you regapped?

dtopshottas
3NE 2NR for life

Postby dtopshottas » February 17th, 2021, 7:04 pm

[facebookvideo][/facebookvideo]
Ted_v2 wrote:what dave said.

is that regular spark plugs or iridium you regapped?

Iridium LRF5AIX-11. Currently searching for colder or those NGK LPG plugs

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » March 1st, 2021, 12:09 pm

Forget CNG go electric

CNG chokehold affecting dealers, drivers

ELIZABETH GONZALES 19 HRS AGO[https://newsday]The NP gas station at Cocoyea, San Fernando. Photos by Jeff K. Mayers

President of the Petroleum Dealers Association Robin Narayansingh says the government should rethink its decision to promote the use of compressed natural gas (CNG) as the operating cost for service stations has become unsustainable.

This, he said, may be the reason why some service stations which sold CNG may not be doing so at this time.

CNG is an eco-friendly, affordable alternative to gasoline. It costs most drivers $14 for a full tank, but Narayansingh said service station owners are sometimes left with a monthly electricity bill, at industrial rates, of over $20,000.

It’s an issue the association and its members have been highlighting since 2019.

Narayansingh said the association complained to the government and an agreement was reached in 2020 to have government cover the cost of electricity for two years.

One year later, Newsday was told there are approximately 7000 CNG vehicles in TT.

Newsday initially contacted Narayansingh after several drivers complained about the unavailability of the CNG service at some fuel stations for months, and in some instances even more than a year.

These include the NP stations at Beetham Gardens and Rushworth Street, and the Unipet station at Brentwood, Chaguanas.

[https://newsday]The CNG pump at the NP gas station on Rushworth Street in San Fernando which is yet to be put into service.

When asked if he was aware of the situation, Narayansingh called on the government to forget about making CNG the future of gas in TT.

Local dealers sell a CNG-ready car for between $165,000- $180,000. For other vehicle owners wishing to convert to CNG, the cost for the equipment and installation is around $15,000.

It's worth the switch as one owner of a CNG car, who lives in San Fernando and works in Port of Spain, explained to Newsday that a full tank lasts two days. In contrast, the driver of a Suzuki Ignis with a 1.2 litre engine using super gasoline, traveling the same distance daily, spends between $100 and $120 for a full tank every three days.

Narayansingh said if the volume of users does not increase significantly, service station owners may have to ask government to review the $1 per litre price for CNG when the arrangement to cover electricity bills come to an end.

The National Gas Company (NGC) is the supplier and distributor of CNG in TT.

NGC is currently constructing a $30 million station powered by 320 solar photo voltaic panels at Preysal, Couva. The station is expected to be ready by the end of March. It is being built with ten pumps for super and premium gas, and ten for CNG. The station will also be fitted with two spots for charging electric vehicles.

NGC communications manager Roger Sant told Newsday the demand is rapidly increasing and there isn't a shortage of CNG.

Responding to other questions by Newsday, Sant said CNG is accessible at 21 stations across TT – four of which are under construction and will be open at the end of 2021, and one station is awaiting approval to begin supplying. He said of the 21 pumps nationwide, nine pumps are operating and accessible.

[https://newsday]CNG storage facility at the NP Rushworth Street gas station in San Fernando.

Pumps at PTSC, South Quay; PTSC, Cove, Tobago; and NGC warehouse, Pt Lisas are private fleet stations.

Discussions to set up CNG for public use in Tobago is underway.

Sant admitted four CNG pumps are down. These are: NP Beetham, NP Mt Lambert, Peaks Unipet, Tacarigua and Unipet Brentwood, Chaguanas. The equipment at these pumps are to be upgraded while others need repairs. He said NGC has the equipment in stock. The repairs and upgrades are to be done by the station owners.

NGC is also exploring sites in Sangre Grande, Longdenville, Penal and La Brea.

Sant said despite covid19 restrictions, sales grew by 24 per cent in 2020. Similarly, in 2019, CNG sales grew by 106 per cent over the previous year (compounded annual growth is 56 per cent).

Saleema Sattar, dealer at the NP Carrousel station in Cocoyea, San Fernando, told Newsday while she has faith that more people will convert to CNG, she is worried that the rate at which drivers are converting may not be fast enough.

"Everybody has to make a profit. If we don’t make a profit we can’t pay our rent, we can't pay the people who work for us. So we have to be in a position to pay our expenses, and that’s the problem with the CNG.

“We are unable to move the volume of fuel so as to make a decent profit or even pay the most basic bill which is the electricity and labour."

A subsidy on electricity to stations supplying CNG is one solution, Sattar suggests. She said she has faith in the CNG industry and wants to see it succeed.

“As a dealer, I have no problem selling CNG if the government says ‘You can run a station but you must sell CNG just as much as you sell liquid fuel.’ Our problem is we shouldn’t be losing in the process.”

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » March 20th, 2021, 10:38 pm

I see suzuki vehicles coming with cng now.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » April 23rd, 2021, 5:37 pm

So I got a 2013 rav4 with cng. Seems to be working great. Just looking for some general advice. I read the 7 pages but did not see anything about switching to gas sometimes, is that necessary? Would I need to switch over to gas sometimes to burn out gas that is sitting too long? How do I know what kit i have? Dunmore and what else on the market? Can I switch over to gas while driving? Thanks.

killercow
Riding on 17's

Postby killercow » April 23rd, 2021, 8:21 pm

SNIPER 3000 wrote:So I got a 2013 rav4 with cng. Seems to be working great. Just looking for some general advice. I read the 7 pages but did not see anything about switching to gas sometimes, is that necessary? Would I need to switch over to gas sometimes to burn out gas that is sitting too long? How do I know what kit i have? Dunmore and what else on the market? Can I switch over to gas while driving? Thanks.
Drive at least 3 km per day on petrol (if you can, do it when the day / engine is at its hottest as CNG burns at a higher temperature than petrol and makes the block run hotter so petrol will give it a lil cool off).

If any bucking, adjust the gapping on your plugs. (0.8 - 0.9mm seems to work best).

Yes you are supposed to be able to switch over from petrol to CNG (and vice-versa) whilst driving with no problems whatsoever.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » April 24th, 2021, 12:12 am

@killercow thanks for the reply.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » April 24th, 2021, 9:53 am

Can anyone remove the kit or it has to be done by burman or dunmore?

killercow
Riding on 17's

Postby killercow » April 24th, 2021, 10:38 am

SNIPER 3000 wrote:Can anyone remove the kit or it has to be done by burman or dunmore?
Strictly speaking it should be able to be removed by anyone trained and experienced in the installation and removal of kits. But consider these two factors:

#1. If your system is under warranty you'll automatically void the warranty.

#2. Even if it's not under warranty, there's a good chance that the company may not want to work on / remove / reinstall your system if tampered with by a third party.

In the avoidance of prospective issues of any kind, it's best that you stick to your kit provider for servicing and all other things.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » April 24th, 2021, 11:11 am

Ok. Thanks. Found out it's a burmac kit. Do I gave to start it and run on gasoline for the first few kms? And then switch to CNG for the kit does that automatically?

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » April 24th, 2021, 5:47 pm

Ok. So it seems like an automatic switch over when the temperature is warmed up.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » May 3rd, 2021, 1:17 pm

Will be removing the cng kit. What's the resale price they go for?

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » October 8th, 2021, 2:43 pm

Energy Minister: CNG vehicle numbers not what they should be
RYAN HAMILTON-DAVIS

Minister of Energy and Energy Industries Stuart Young, during a morning show on local television, admitted that CNG is not in the place it is supposed to be and the country would soon have to move away from it and follow the world trend of electric car transition.

Young was speaking on a panel with vice president of the Used Car Dealers Association, Rondall Feeles, on the removal of taxes on electric vehicles, announced in the 2021-2022 budget on Monday.

“I would be the first to admit that when I first came in and I looked at CNG, it has not gone where it is supposed to go,” Young said.

Young said that $200 million was invested in the drive to promote CNG vehicles. To date, there are over 15,000 CNG vehicles in Trinidad and Tobago, which include OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) vehicles and vehicles converted to CNG.

“The truth is with the CNG, it is a different technology. People tried it because it was a cleaner burning fuel than gas, but it didn’t work. When you look at it, we have to move away from CNG.”

He said, however, that it doesn’t mean that CNG will be abandoned. He noted that several CNG pumps were installed in the newly-opened NP gas station in Preysal.

“I don’t want people who are already using CNG to think that we are not going to use it. We will continue to use it.”

He said the technology in electric vehicles is changing rapidly, so much so that a large investment in infrastructure to support the use of electric vehicles may not be necessary.

“We no longer need the reliance on public infrastructure to charge the vehicles, because most of the cars can be charged at home. You may have to do some electricity conversion at home. The batteries have advanced, so eight years ago and even four years ago, it was a more difficult thing.”

“(But) the cars and vehicles now can charge in hours. The ranges (for electric cars) are between 200 and 300 miles on a full charge.”

Feeles said the Used Car Dealers Association had been advocating for government support to the introduction of electric vehicles eight years ago, adding that at the time it said people would not go the way of CNG, but would look to more futuristic means of transport.

“I was in an energy meeting with Mr Babwah and we tried to encourage them not to go in that direction. Their plan was to convert most of the driving population to CNG. Eight years later we were only able to convert and bring in 15,300 vehicles. I now have to wonder if that brought in any returns.

“Had we made the jump eight years ago, we would have been in a better position now.”

In the 2021-2022 budget, Minister of Finance Colm Imbert proposed the removal of all taxes and duties on electric vehicles.

https://newsday.co.tt/2021/10/08/energy ... should-be/

SMH we all knew this years ago though

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 8th, 2021, 2:52 pm

^^^ that's because they want to push this electric karts bull

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » October 8th, 2021, 8:34 pm

Agreed... we all knew. Imbert himself knew since 2013 but he and all "switch"

Imbert: Forget conversion to CNG, Use hybrid vehicles

by Richard Lord

Fri Nov 22 2013

Opposition MP Colm Imbert said a three-year proposal by the Government to spend $500 million to convert 17,500 vehicles from gasoline and diesel to compressed natural gas would be a waste of taxpayers' money. Imbert spoke in the House of Representatives yesterday during debate to confirm the Excise Duty (Compressed Natural Gas Order, 2013) by Finance and the Economy Minister Larry Howai.

Howai said the measure would effectively reduce the price of CNG, which would encourage drivers to convert to the cleaner fuel. The minister said that was a major initiative aimed at reducing the annual $4 billion fuel subsidy. The initiative also calls for the construction of several CNG stations across the country.

But Imbert said the plan was absurd and was not new, having been repeated by the Government for the past three years. Imbert said not one vehicle was converted to CNG and no new CNG stations were constructed since the People's Partnership Government came into office in May 2010. Minister of State in the Environment and Water Resources Ministry Ramona Ramdial dismissed Imbert's claim, saying three government vehicles have been converted to CNG so far.

Imbert said for the past several years attempts have been made to encourage drivers to convert to CNG but the majority seem uninterested, for several reasons. He said it may be appropriate to consider other alternative fuels, as the CNG plan has been a colossal failure. Imbert said the Government should instead seek to encourage the use of hybrid vehicles as they were more cost-effective than CNG. He said the typical vehicle gives an average of 25 miles to the gallon but a hybrid vehicle gives an average of 50 mpg.

"We need to look at encouraging the use of hybrids in T&T," Imbert told legislators. He said the use of hybrid vehicles (electric and gasoline) would go a long way to addressing the fuel subsidy issue, and suggested the import duty, the value added and motor vehicle taxes should be reduced to zero on hybrid vehicles. Imbert said the Opposition was "very suspicious" about the measure as there was the possibility of corruption.

What's a hybrid vehicle?

A hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) combines a conventional internal combustion engine (ICE) propulsion system with an electric propulsion system. The presence of the electric powertrain is intended to achieve either better fuel economy than a conventional vehicle or better performance. There are a variety of HEV types, and the degree to which they function as EVs varies as well.

The most common form of HEV is the hybrid electric car, although hybrid electric trucks (pickups and tractors) and buses also exist.

Source: https://www.guardian.co.tt/article-6.2. ... 3dfdf634c3

hindian
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby hindian » October 31st, 2021, 4:42 pm

Fellas anyone know where I can dispose of 2 cng tanks? The scrap iron man not taking it and it taking up usable space I need. Thanks

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » October 31st, 2021, 6:22 pm

fibreglass tanks?

hindian
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby hindian » October 31st, 2021, 6:23 pm

No, the steel ones.

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » October 31st, 2021, 8:43 pm

wow and they refuse that?? if that even halfway outside my gate I not gonna see it in the morning

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 31st, 2021, 11:51 pm

hindian wrote:Fellas anyone know where I can dispose of 2 cng tanks? The scrap iron man not taking it and it taking up usable space I need. Thanks
What location u at?

hindian
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby hindian » November 1st, 2021, 9:07 am

sMASH wrote:
hindian wrote:Fellas anyone know where I can dispose of 2 cng tanks? The scrap iron man not taking it and it taking up usable space I need. Thanks
What location u at?
Piarco

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”