Lets talk CNG

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

hottrod317
Street 2NR

Re: Lets talk CNG

Postby hottrod317 » March 10th, 2022, 5:54 pm

:drinking:
nismotrinidappa wrote:Lol man 2020. That system like a virgin. I do 5000km a month. Engine start 6 am. Engine switches off between 7 to 10 pm. So oil coil all working while idling. I installed April 2019 and only recently changed coils. Coils blew apparently after i did a small engine wash home.

However coilpack were going before as I realised there was slight misfire with cng but not with gas. The cng is precise and shows up any weak areas in your engine e.g. overheating. All my mounts were bad due to jerking until I regapped and cleaned maf and throttle body .

So
Regap your plugs between 0.8 to 1.1 terrific acceleration under cng
Clean your maf sensor and throttle body
Change plugs
Very important. Don't be cheap and use super gas. Run the premium and enjoy cleaner internal and injectors . When using cng and your injectors just dribbling to maintain idle super IS going to clog it and affect idle issues and performance

I have qr20 engine. I am due to service and car running excellent. I informed my neighbour about the gapping after he waste money twice on changingToyota coilpacks and plugs

What plugs u use...I have a problem with getting the right plugs for my mr20 engine fitted with cng 341 3654

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » March 10th, 2022, 6:15 pm

Typically they use a colder plug.
Stock is a 6 heat range in NGK. Just change your plug from 6 to 7 and look for that. May not be a plug found locally and might be an import item.

nismotrinidappa
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby nismotrinidappa » March 11th, 2022, 1:56 pm

Actually I I running normal stock recommended ngk plug. No fancy iridium or double tip. Or anything like that. I was supposed to upgrade though

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » March 11th, 2022, 3:03 pm

The best plug to use is a copper plug but for some cars given what is entailed in changing it doesn't make sense to even consider putting in anything cheaper than platinum.

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » June 1st, 2022, 2:44 pm

Time to refuel?
Check out the current listing of public CNG stations where you can refuel.

FB_IMG_1654108551658.jpg

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » June 1st, 2022, 3:46 pm

Has anyone itt left the cng thing entirely or simply abandoned the idea of procuring a cng vehicle? Does any current owner have any regrets or noticed issues worth mentioning?

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » June 1st, 2022, 3:57 pm

Wasn't the Barataria station a CNG equipped one? Haven't paid attention to see if the pumps are still there.

nismotrinidappa
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby nismotrinidappa » June 2nd, 2022, 6:05 pm

That station pack up long time. Only engine wash section working. Also like Brentwood cng gone through?

abducted
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby abducted » June 20th, 2022, 10:52 pm

I saw this post being shared around,

“Good day. I am CUTT member Peter Laltoo, #00987.

I converted my vehicle to use CNG about 8 or 9 years ago. The job was done by automotive components (massy motors) in Arima. It cost about $12,000 back then.

Each garage typically can only service the system that they installed. They usually do not have the tools to service a cng system from another company. Software in particular is an issue (yes the cng system is computer controlled).

Imagine my shock when I called automotive components last week to schedule a service, only to be told they no longer perform any sort of cng service or repair. For reasons best known to them, that portion of the business is now closed permanently. The massy rep did give me a number for a private individual who MAY be able to service the system.......but when I called...he indicated he did not have the software required to adjust etc.

After all the guava-ment talk of cng....I am now left with a non functioning system.....that apparently NOBODY can service or repair.

Way to go......”

IMG_8585.JPG

nismotrinidappa
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby nismotrinidappa » June 28th, 2022, 11:12 pm

Check on Facebook. There are cng trinidad groups with some recommended installers and repairers.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » June 29th, 2022, 7:11 am

CNG was never a good long term investment.
Thats just adding a plaster to a sore.What we need is a cheaper electricity alternative and more efficient EVs.Before Zoom chimes in about 'carts', drink your coffee and mind your goats.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » June 29th, 2022, 11:02 am

timelapse wrote:CNG was never a good long term investment.
Thats just adding a plaster to a sore.What we need is a cheaper electricity alternative and more efficient EVs.Before Zoom chimes in about 'carts', drink your coffee and mind your goats.
The biggest issue with CNG or LPG is distribution. CNG does lower emissions but does not drastically lower emissions. For commercial and maritime large displacement engines, CNG makes for a positive environmental and financial choice. CNG for personal use? Not so good a solution.

poygone
Riding on 13's

Postby poygone » June 29th, 2022, 12:08 pm

IMG-20220629-WA0021.jpg

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » February 28th, 2023, 8:05 pm

NGC CNG

As we work to improve the supply network across the country, here are the locations of the 11 public CNG filling stations.​

South - NP Carrousel, Cocoyea San Fernando ​

Central – Unipet Mc Bean, ​NP Chaguanas Main Rd,​ NP Munroe Road, ​NP Preysal​

East – NP Orange Grove, Trincity, ​NP O'Meara, ​NP Tumpuna Road Arima​

North – NP Cyrus Rd El Socorro​

West – NP St Christopher’s Wrightson Rd, NP Diego Martin, Starlite

FB_IMG_1677628844606.jpg

1/4 mile king
Street 2NR

Postby 1/4 mile king » March 1st, 2023, 5:04 am

I recently installed a cng kit. From less than average 2km per dollar on premium gasoline ($7.75/litre) to around average 12km/$$ (or litre) on cng. I do hope the cng price doesn't increase or remains $1/litre. I turn off the cng and use pure gasoline when the additional power is needed (i rarely do this). I rather cng atm since my knowledge on electric vehicles is limited. I can easily diagnose issues without going by a technician who can probably trick me into paying for unnecessary services.

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » March 1st, 2023, 10:38 am

1/4 mile king wrote:I recently installed a cng kit. From less than average 2km per dollar on premium gasoline ($7.75/litre) to around average 12km/$$ (or litre) on cng. I do hope the cng price doesn't increase or remains $1/litre. I turn off the cng and use pure gasoline when the additional power is needed (i rarely do this). I rather cng atm since my knowledge on electric vehicles is limited. I can easily diagnose issues without going by a technician who can probably trick me into paying for unnecessary services.
On what vehicle?

1/4 mile king
Street 2NR

Postby 1/4 mile king » March 1st, 2023, 10:45 pm

2014 hyundai tucson (gasoline). Cons worth mentioning: less trunk space due to 70l tank. Additional weight on the rear (rear slightly lower) Not much people notice it but I do. Cost alot to instal with the hope I get value for $ in the long run by the price remaining low per litre.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » March 2nd, 2023, 6:06 am

Calculate your average yearly milage should not be to difficult and then the total gas you would spend then consider ratio gas to cng in percentage you will be using. Then get your payback period

That could be as much as five years

Hope your vehicle holds up for that period

If you get in accident or need major repairs and have to sell you will have lost money

Remember all during the payback period you will be in the red

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » March 2nd, 2023, 6:22 am

PariaMan wrote:Calculate your average yearly milage should not be to difficult and then the total gas you would spend then consider ratio gas to cng in percentage you will be using. Then get your payback period

If you get in accident or need major repairs and have to sell you will have lost money

In that calculation, doesn't he/she need to factor in the tax credit that he/she would be entitled to for the year in which the system was installed?

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » March 2nd, 2023, 1:45 pm

Rory Phoulorie wrote:
PariaMan wrote:Calculate your average yearly milage should not be to difficult and then the total gas you would spend then consider ratio gas to cng in percentage you will be using. Then get your payback period

In that calculation, doesn't he/she need to factor in the tax credit that he/she would be entitled to for the year in which the system was installed?
Did he/she apply for said tax credit?

Seems a bit risky on a nine year lod vehicle

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 2nd, 2023, 2:49 pm

PariaMan wrote:
Rory Phoulorie wrote:

12km/$ CNG and 2km/$ Premium is 8.3¢/km CNG and 50¢/km Premium

Assume the average cost of conversion is $15,000 and maximum tax credit is $2,500.

The average driver travels 20,000 km/yr, with a less frequent driver travelling 13,000km/year and more frequent driver travelling 27,000km/yr

An infrequent driver will have a payback period of 2.8 yrs or 2.3 yrs with tax rebate.
An average driver will have a payback period of 1.8 yrs or 1.5 yrs with tax rebate.
A more frequent driver will have a payback period of 1.3 yrs or 1.1 yrs with tax rebate.

edit: a five year payback period occurs if the OP is driving 5200km/yr (3200 miles/year).

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » March 2nd, 2023, 3:34 pm

i find we should get a tax credit for hybrid cars too- yeah it's tax free but the dealer taking a lot of that so the benefit to the consumer is reduced.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » March 2nd, 2023, 5:13 pm

adnj wrote:
PariaMan wrote:
Rory Phoulorie wrote:

Assume the average cost of conversion is $15,000 and maximum tax credit is $2,500.

The average driver travels 20,000 km/yr, with a less frequent driver travelling 13,000km/year and more frequent driver travelling 27,000km/yr

An infrequent driver will have a payback period of 2.8 yrs or 2.3 yrs with tax rebate.
An average driver will have a payback period of 1.8 yrs or 1.5 yrs with tax rebate.
A more frequent driver will have a payback period of 1.3 yrs or 1.1 yrs with tax rebate.

edit: a five year payback period occurs if the OP is driving 5200km/yr (3200 miles/year).
Are you assuming he uses CNG 100 percent of time

Doubt that will be the case

People generally get fed up going gas station every two days

matix
Shifting into 6th

Postby matix » March 2nd, 2023, 5:45 pm

PariaMan wrote:
adnj wrote:
PariaMan wrote:
Rory Phoulorie wrote:

Used a Honda City recently and got 226km from it using CNG. Went to fill Mon Repos and that was $12 from empty. To me that’s damn good

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 2nd, 2023, 6:30 pm

PariaMan wrote:
adnj wrote:
PariaMan wrote:
Rory Phoulorie wrote:

I only used cost information provided by the OP.

OP also states that he has a 70l tank with 12km/l fuel economy (840 km/tankful).

A refill each time 1/4 tank is reached, equates to driving 630 km between refills. For the average driver (20,000 km/yr), that's 32 refills each year. A more frequent driver (27,000 km/yr), needs 43 refills per year.

OP is likely to need three or four refills each month, assuming a typical user profile.

1/4 mile king wrote:I recently installed a cng kit. From less than average 2km per dollar on premium gasoline ($7.75/litre) to around average 12km/$$ (or litre) on cng. I do hope the cng price doesn't increase or remains $1/litre. I turn off the cng and use pure gasoline when the additional power is needed (i rarely do this).

1/4 mile king
Street 2NR

Postby 1/4 mile king » March 2nd, 2023, 7:27 pm

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Yes I use cng all the time now. I used to put average $330 premium gasoline every 5 to 6 days. I live central (refill stations nearby) and I always keep topping up the tank (daily) to avoid running on gasoline. I only use gasoline for engine warm up and sudden high acceleration etc ( barely use it at all ). I badly need to make this investment work .

A172
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby A172 » March 2nd, 2023, 8:35 pm

redmanjp wrote:i find we should get a tax credit for hybrid cars too- yeah it's tax free but the dealer taking a lot of that so the benefit to the consumer is reduced.
if u find the dealer taking too much bring it yourself

oh wait..

1/4 mile king
Street 2NR

Postby 1/4 mile king » March 2nd, 2023, 10:25 pm

1/4 mile king wrote:Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Yes I use cng all the time now. I used to put average $330 premium gasoline every 5 to 6 days. I live central (refill stations nearby) and I always keep topping up the tank (daily) to avoid running on gasoline. I only use gasoline for engine warm up and sudden high acceleration etc ( barely use it at all ). I badly need to make this investment work .

Question: People with CNG systems allow the cng to run out for long periods & are comfortable consuming gasoline? That defeats the whole purpose (my opinion). I get more km/$ on CNG, why waste money running on gasoline? My trip distance tally (reset only @ every gasoline fill up) is over 900km (more than 1/2 tank gasoline remaining) since the last full up of gasoline. The CNG was installed @ 3/4 tank of gasoline and only about 200km (not too sure) was done before the cng installation.

What's the reason for using gasoline over the CNG (other than better performance)??
Kindly enlighten me.
Am I doing something wrong???
Will I still damage my engine despite being light on the pedal while on CNG??

1/4 mile king
Street 2NR

Postby 1/4 mile king » March 3rd, 2023, 11:51 pm

Average Daily cng used = $8= 88km. So 8×365= $2920/year. Today was average driving throughout the year on cng only all day.
88km @ less than 2KM/$ Premium gasoline ($7.75/litre) =
more than $44 daily= more than $16060 yearly.
16060-2920= >$13140 saved end of year running on cng only. Doesn't include additional maintenance due to cng system nor tax credit. Hitting Manzanilla weekend from central. Topping up the tank at tumpuna road arima to and from. Cng throughout from now on. So even more savings per year by avoiding premium gasoline. MAJOR DRAWBACK IS FREQUENT VISITS TO TOP UP BUT I RATHER SAVE $ MORE THAN TIME.

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » March 7th, 2023, 10:12 pm

1/4 mile king wrote:Average Daily cng used = $8= 88km. So 8×365= $2920/year. Today was average driving throughout the year on cng only all day.
88km @ less than 2KM/$ Premium gasoline ($7.75/litre) =
more than $44 daily= more than $16060 yearly.
16060-2920= >$13140 saved end of year running on cng only. Doesn't include additional maintenance due to cng system nor tax credit. Hitting Manzanilla weekend from central. Topping up the tank at tumpuna road arima to and from. Cng throughout from now on. So even more savings per year by avoiding premium gasoline. MAJOR DRAWBACK IS FREQUENT VISITS TO TOP UP BUT I RATHER SAVE $ MORE THAN TIME.
Money >> time

Hmm we can always buy time ?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”