TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Process of upgrading from 20 lbs to 100lbs LPG cylinders.

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

sufferrar
3NE 2NR for life

Process of upgrading from 20 lbs to 100lbs LPG cylinders.

Postby sufferrar » September 18th, 2008, 3:33 pm

What is the process and can i do it myself or does it need to be inspected ?
What is the average cost for install and the cylinders?

dredman1
Riding on 18's

Postby dredman1 » September 18th, 2008, 3:55 pm

You'll need to call the 100lb cylinder suppliers (RAMCO) and have them come to do it. Unless you can source the items yourself (copper tubing, regulator, valve) and are able to bend tubing, weld copper, etc., then calling them to do it is your best (and safest) option.

They come to your house and do all the above for you, and they install 2 full 100lb tanks as well.

You can sell your 20lb tanks to try to recover some of the cost, but it's not cheap. I did it about 2 years ago and it cost me about $1300 or $1500 (can't recall the exact amount) and I'm sure it's gone up by now with inflation and scarcity of copper.:roll: :roll:

But I don't regret it at all. It sure as hell worth it not having your 20lb cylinder empty in the middle of cooking and going out the road to get one. :oops:
Give RAMCO a call and ask what needs to be done and the current cost. They give all the info over the phone.

d.d.s.
Sweet on this forum

Re: Process of upgrading from 20 lbs to 100lbs LPG cylinders.

Postby d.d.s. » July 23rd, 2019, 2:32 pm

Bumping this thread.
Looking for someone to install two 100lb cylinders (already in possession) in Barataria area. Tried calling the North numbers on NP's website but no luck with any.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » July 23rd, 2019, 3:15 pm

d.d.s. wrote:Bumping this thread.
Looking for someone to install two 100lb cylinders (already in possession) in Barataria area. Tried calling the North numbers on NP's website but no luck with any.

You called every number on http://www.np.co.tt/list-of-100lb-cylinder-np-contractors-and-distributors/ and got no answer?

I can only suggest Ramco, try the south number if the north one isn't working, and they'll put you onto someone.

d.d.s.
Sweet on this forum

Postby d.d.s. » July 23rd, 2019, 4:36 pm

Only the north numbers I tried for NP. No luck.

Got through with Ramco in one call!
Free estimate in a couple days they said.

TurboSingh12
Riding on 16's

Postby TurboSingh12 » July 24th, 2019, 9:44 am

d.d.s. wrote:Only the north numbers I tried for NP. No luck.

Update us on the cost ect.Thanks

Drea
Sweet on this forum

Postby Drea » July 24th, 2019, 2:47 pm

In a relating topic, anyone ever hear about a stove being limited to a 20lb gas tank. A friend has been shopping around for stoves and found one with an electric oven and was told by the store associate that it is recommended to only use a 20lb tank and not the 100lb. :?:

d.d.s.
Sweet on this forum

Postby d.d.s. » July 24th, 2019, 3:29 pm

TurboSingh12 wrote:

They (Ramco) came and i got the estimate.
Asked if it could be done one time.
Liaised with whomever on the phone.
$800 installed at 12ft.
Very neat and professional.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » July 24th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Drea wrote:In a relating topic, anyone ever hear about a stove being limited to a 20lb gas tank. A friend has been shopping around for stoves and found one with an electric oven and was told by the store associate that it is recommended to only use a 20lb tank and not the 100lb. :?:

NP/RAMCO installs a regulator for the 100 lb tank to the kitchen (I have one on my wall outside) to bring down the pressure to whatever the standard stove uses. This website says "The 100 pound cylinder has high pressure in it until you install a regulator to bring the pressure down to normally 11 inches of pressure."
https://www.propanecarbs.com/pressure.html

Unless it was a very special stove, which will clearly be documented in the manual, your friend should tell the associate to gather more training experience because he is costing the establishment some sales with his BS. When you say electric oven, you mean it just has a timer, thermostat and controls that are electric but the heat is still from gas right? Most modern ranges are like that today. Heating your oven with electricity doesn't make sense here since LPG is so cheap.

Drea
Sweet on this forum

Postby Drea » July 24th, 2019, 7:11 pm

maj. tom wrote:
Drea wrote:In a relating topic, anyone ever hear about a stove being limited to a 20lb gas tank. A friend has been shopping around for stoves and found one with an electric oven and was told by the store associate that it is recommended to only use a 20lb tank and not the 100lb. :?:

NP/RAMCO installs a regulator for the 100 lb tank to the kitchen (I have one on my wall outside) to bring down the pressure to whatever the standard stove uses. This website says "The 100 pound cylinder has high pressure in it until you install a regulator to bring the pressure down to normally 11 inches of pressure."

Unless it was a very special stove, which will clearly be documented in the manual, your friend should tell the associate to gather more training experience because he is costing the establishment some sales with his BS. When you say electric oven, you mean it just has a timer, thermostat and controls that are electric but the heat is still from gas right? Most modern ranges are like that today. Heating your oven with electricity doesn't make sense here since LPG is so cheap.

I believe what was explained is the burners operate on gas but the oven uses electric :? (I and all confused yes) I dunno where these stores sourcing appliances now. Same trouble I had with finding a washing machine the other day, all the automated ones they was saying if u don't have a consistent high pressure water source they'll break down fast.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » July 24th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Once you have the correct pressure for the equipment you can use any size tank you want.

TurboSingh12
Riding on 16's

Postby TurboSingh12 » July 25th, 2019, 9:09 am

d.d.s. wrote:
TurboSingh12 wrote:

$800 installed at 12ft.

Ok not a bad price.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » July 25th, 2019, 10:19 am

TurboSingh12 wrote:
d.d.s. wrote:
TurboSingh12 wrote:

$800 installed at 12ft.

Ok not a bad price.

what's the cost of the new tanks?

Sundar
Riding on 17's

Postby Sundar » July 25th, 2019, 12:15 pm

Drea wrote:
maj. tom wrote:

I believe what was explained is the burners operate on gas but the oven uses electric :? (I and all confused yes) I dunno where these stores sourcing appliances now. Same trouble I had with finding a washing machine the other day, all the automated ones they was saying if u don't have a consistent high pressure water source they'll break down fast.
because the timer would stay on the position too long and burn the contacts that would initiate the fill.

d.d.s.
Sweet on this forum

Postby d.d.s. » July 25th, 2019, 3:16 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:
TurboSingh12 wrote:
d.d.s. wrote:
TurboSingh12 wrote:

$800 installed at 12ft.

Ok not a bad price.

what's the cost of the new tanks?
No idea. I got them from a friend who was migrating. There's someone in the misc forum however selling two for $1600.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 25th, 2019, 4:43 pm

Drea wrote:
maj. tom wrote:

Electric ovens are preferred for more precise temperature control for baking. Gas cooktops are preferred for precise temperature control when sauteing.

The gas pressure of LPG is dependent only on ambient temperature (around 125 psi at 80°F) and is independent of the size of the vessel that it is stored in. Whether a 20lb or 100lb tank is used doesn't matter.

Many gas appliances use low-pressure supplies of about 0.25psi (1/4psi). While gas grills and kilos use about 20psi.

The well-known connector for a local 20lb tank is a low pressure regulator of about 1.0psi.

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » July 25th, 2019, 11:21 pm

How long do the 2 100lb tanks last for normal day to day cooking. Im talking a small meal per day. Electric stove starting to run my bill into the 3k's now.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » July 26th, 2019, 12:11 am

janfar wrote:How long do the 2 100lb tanks last for normal day to day cooking. Im talking a small meal per day. Electric stove starting to run my bill into the 3k's now.

Months easily.

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » July 26th, 2019, 1:40 am

janfar wrote:How long do the 2 100lb tanks last for normal day to day cooking. Im talking a small meal per day. Electric stove starting to run my bill into the 3k's now.
About 4-6 months per tank

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » July 26th, 2019, 3:28 am

Gas is preferred for is saykayablilty.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » July 26th, 2019, 6:57 am

This!
janfar wrote:Gas is preferred for is saykayablilty.

hong kong phooey
punchin NOS

Postby hong kong phooey » July 26th, 2019, 9:23 am

saw this in the misc section
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=745080

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 26th, 2019, 9:53 am

The biggest household electricity consumers are typically air conditioners, water heaters, refrigerators, and swimming pool filters.

You can also try switching to a newer, more energy efficient electrical appliance if you are trying to cut costs.

https://ttec.co.tt/default/appliance-usage

ramorr
Ricer

Postby ramorr » May 2nd, 2020, 1:23 am

WTK what is the Connection type for the 100lb Gas tank?

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » May 2nd, 2020, 4:46 am

ramorr wrote:WTK what is the Connection type for the 100lb Gas tank?

outside the tanks have a step down valve and they bring a copper gas line into the kitchen and put a valve an yuh connect ah regular orange hose to it and to the back ah yuh stove. yuh cud even take the head off the hose yuh use for the d small tank and use back the hose but ramco contractors supply a hose with the installation. the valve in the kitchen have a on/off setting to turn gas on and off.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 2nd, 2020, 2:06 pm

ramorr wrote:WTK what is the Connection type for the 100lb Gas tank?
A POL male connector. It's the standard 20-lb LPG tank connector in the USA.

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » July 25th, 2020, 5:11 am

someone tell me the 20lb tank price gone up ? is that true ? last i paid was $21 in the gas station i havent see any notice from NP that gas going up

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 25th, 2020, 6:35 am

screwbash wrote:someone tell me the 20lb tank price gone up ? is that true ? last i paid was $21 in the gas station i havent see any notice from NP that gas going up
Call and find out.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » July 25th, 2020, 6:42 am

it varies depending where u buy
eg the fancy convenience gas stations charge a buck or two more

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » July 27th, 2020, 4:49 am

i aint studying if gas itself gone up i studying if prices going up without justification.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”