Forums

Best doubles in T&T

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Re: Best doubles in T&T

Postby paid_influencer » January 20th, 2023, 5:47 pm

dogg wrote:I don't each much doubles, but plenty channa. Where have the best?

hi-way roti shop

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » January 20th, 2023, 5:52 pm

I really don’t think you Trinis know what good food is anymore, more so from the younger folk.

People always saying weyyyy dis place bess and its nothing to talk about.

Where has our taste gone?

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » January 20th, 2023, 5:53 pm

paid_influencer wrote:
dogg wrote:I don't each much doubles, but plenty channa. Where have the best?

hi-way roti shop

Single, double or triple spoon?

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » January 20th, 2023, 6:44 pm

There was a doubles man in Felicity called Jill a long time ago. He used to sell at a street corner and his son used to ride around on a Saturday and Sunday morning. Now I used to work for a distribution company back in the day. Food service items. Knew every doubles man from Icacos to Galera to Toco to Chaguaramas. Tried them all, even the ones in the most out of the way holes. There was never a better doubles than that. Sadly everything stopped when he passed away. To this day though, I still remember the taste of that doubles. Felicity to my knowledge still has one of the best you can get in Central, at Jubilee Savannah on evenings and weekends. Nothing will compare to Jill Doubles though. In the old time doubles ranking in Chaguanas, it has to be Jill, then Ravi and then Harry. Harry's really went downhill after the old man passed though and Ravi went to Tobago.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » January 21st, 2023, 5:05 am

pugboy wrote:didnt he die ?
the one by old gas station off highway

DMan7 wrote:Dass in El Socorro is the best doubles in T&T.

dass had stop selling in that spot long time before he died. i think george doubles from woodbrook selling in the spot now. the redman who used to sell for dass used to sell in that spot for a woman from arouca side be the prison. she probably died now an the redman used to sell for country style doubles i think by graand bazar.
i remember that doubles that redman used to sell in el socorro. that was the best and worth the money and the baigan pies are never to been seen again. that red man know how to assemble a doubles.

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » January 21st, 2023, 5:54 am

triniterribletim wrote:There was a doubles man in Felicity called Jill a long time ago. He used to sell at a street corner and his son used to ride around on a Saturday and Sunday morning. Now I used to work for a distribution company back in the day. Food service items. Knew every doubles man from Icacos to Galera to Toco to Chaguaramas. Tried them all, even the ones in the most out of the way holes. There was never a better doubles than that. Sadly everything stopped when he passed away. To this day though, I still remember the taste of that doubles. Felicity to my knowledge still has one of the best you can get in Central, at Jubilee Savannah on evenings and weekends. Nothing will compare to Jill Doubles though. In the old time doubles ranking in Chaguanas, it has to be Jill, then Ravi and then Harry. Harry's really went downhill after the old man passed though and Ravi went to Tobago.

He used to ride around in a white box bicycle. Yes, no one doubles could touch his.

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » January 21st, 2023, 7:09 am

daring dragoon wrote:

dass had stop selling in that spot long time before he died. i think george doubles from woodbrook selling in the spot now. the redman who used to sell for dass used to sell in that spot for a woman from arouca side be the prison. she probably died now an the redman used to sell for country style doubles i think by graand bazar.
i remember that doubles that redman used to sell in el socorro. that was the best and worth the money and the baigan pies are never to been seen again. that red man know how to assemble a doubles.

Nah that's a different Dass you all talking about here. This one is located by a gas station close to the croisee. And yes the baigan pies is the best even though it's a different Dass probably family related.

d.d.s.
Sweet on this forum

Postby d.d.s. » January 21st, 2023, 7:24 am

daring dragoon wrote:

Yup, sadly the redman did pass away last year

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » January 21st, 2023, 8:16 am

d.d.s. wrote:
daring dragoon wrote:

WTF !!! Lewis dead? you sure ???? he had a gold teeth in front. how he died? covid? everytime i pass grand bazar i does look for he. sad if it is true.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » January 21st, 2023, 8:17 am

DMan7 wrote:
daring dragoon wrote:

Nah that's a different Dass you all talking about here. This one is located by a gas station close to the croisee. And yes the baigan pies is the best even though it's a different Dass probably family related.

the one by the unipet gas station in the crossie just move across the road.

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » January 21st, 2023, 8:44 am

daring dragoon wrote:
DMan7 wrote:
daring dragoon wrote:

the one by the unipet gas station in the crossie just move across the road.

Yea hoss they were in the gas station long time ago, but not off the highway.

d.d.s.
Sweet on this forum

Postby d.d.s. » January 21st, 2023, 9:27 am

daring dragoon wrote:
d.d.s. wrote:
daring dragoon wrote:

WTF !!! Lewis dead? you sure ???? he had a gold teeth in front. how he died? covid? everytime i pass grand bazar i does look for he. sad if it is true.

Sadly yes, I'm sure. Same Lewis who was always cheerful, neatly dressed with his spotless white shirt. Can't confirm but unfortunately I heard he took his life

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... =665015319

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 21st, 2023, 10:47 am

yes, now is george crap doubles there now

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » January 21st, 2023, 10:55 am

matr1x wrote:
triniterribletim wrote:There was a doubles man in Felicity called Jill a long time ago. He used to sell at a street corner and his son used to ride around on a Saturday and Sunday morning. Now I used to work for a distribution company back in the day. Food service items. Knew every doubles man from Icacos to Galera to Toco to Chaguaramas. Tried them all, even the ones in the most out of the way holes. There was never a better doubles than that. Sadly everything stopped when he passed away. To this day though, I still remember the taste of that doubles. Felicity to my knowledge still has one of the best you can get in Central, at Jubilee Savannah on evenings and weekends. Nothing will compare to Jill Doubles though. In the old time doubles ranking in Chaguanas, it has to be Jill, then Ravi and then Harry. Harry's really went downhill after the old man passed though and Ravi went to Tobago.

He used to ride around in a white box bicycle. Yes, no one doubles could touch his.

If you know you know! That man doubles was a national treasure. Those who never got to experience that will never know the delight, but they are also spared from the mental anguish that they will never eat a better doubles than that.

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » January 21st, 2023, 11:12 am

triniterribletim wrote:
matr1x wrote:

If you know you know! That man doubles was a national treasure. Those who never got to experience that will never know the delight, but they are also spared from the mental anguish that they will never eat a better doubles than that.

The Bara was soft, but with the right amount of bite. And the channa. Properly flavored. Unlike the crap now. And the sweet sauce used actual mango, and not mango flavoring.

There is a snow cone man in Felicity with exceptional snow cone

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » January 21st, 2023, 11:46 am

matr1x wrote:
triniterribletim wrote:
matr1x wrote:

The Bara was soft, but with the right amount of bite. And the channa. Properly flavored. Unlike the crap now. And the sweet sauce used actual mango, and not mango flavoring.

There is a snow cone man in Felicity with exceptional snow cone

The kuchela was also damn good. The perfect condiment. True that on the snow cone man, Wesley makes a mean snow cone. Always uses real fruits too. No artificial things for the syrup. Felicity really is a blessed place. Good doubles, good roti, good geera, good black pudding, good barbeque and fried chicken. Even good vegetarian options. Definitely one of the things I miss about Trinidad.

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » January 21st, 2023, 12:01 pm

I forgot about that. The kutchela that don't give you heatburn.

Wesley built his house with snow cone and bought his car. Truly impressive.

Ever had channaman roti?

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » January 21st, 2023, 12:11 pm

matr1x wrote:I forgot about that. The kutchela that don't give you heatburn.

Ever had channaman roti?

All the time, along with everything else. The bread and channa and the bread and liver were great as well. So were the Chinese style chicken sandwiches and the bread and chow mein. Great consistency over the years, a rare thing in Trinidad.

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » January 21st, 2023, 12:23 pm

triniterribletim wrote:

Ever had channaman roti?

All the time, along with everything else. The bread and channa and the bread and liver were great as well. So were the Chinese style chicken sandwiches and the bread and chow mein. Great consistency over the years, a rare thing in Trinidad.

Then you must remember alloy from Pierre road, opposite sarran bar. Best bread and chow mein. Ever.

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » January 21st, 2023, 12:43 pm

matr1x wrote:
triniterribletim wrote:

Ever had channaman roti?

Then you must remember alloy from Pierre road, opposite sarran bar. Best bread and chow mein. Ever.

Now that really jogs the memories. Sadly all those old time food vendors, people who made their food with quality and care are becoming a relic of the past. Unironically the street food was way better when there wasn't a "street food scene". David Hoffman got some good street food when he came down, but there is a wide gulf between good and great.

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » January 21st, 2023, 12:46 pm

Unfortunately, he passed away sometime ago. There are venes that took over the place. Part barbershop, part drug den

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » January 21st, 2023, 1:07 pm

matr1x wrote:Unfortunately, he passed away sometime ago. There are venes that took over the place. Part barbershop, part drug den

Sad to hear. There was an increasing number of them before I left. Just shows you how things change. Thinking back, everyone has a fond memory of food they ate and things they experienced that are no longer there. When I was a little boy, back in the early 90s, my father worked in St. Augustine and would bring back butter fried chicken from Yang's every week. To me, that was some of the best fried chicken out there, if I had to choose between any other chicken and that, I'd choose it in a heartbeat. I had lots of good memories in Trinidad, memories of a Trinidad that was. Being able to stay out till 2-3 am, and being able to get home safe
sometimes just making a walk for it back from Chaguanas after a lime with the crew. Now all the fellers are scattered to the four winds and some aren't there any more. Just thinking about it makes you feel all sorts of ways and you really wonder where all the years went.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » January 21st, 2023, 1:45 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Image

Saw them on CNC3 news last night. 2 reporters took up the challenge.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » January 21st, 2023, 2:27 pm

dem reporter mustbe stay home today.

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » January 21st, 2023, 2:38 pm

triniterribletim wrote:
matr1x wrote:Unfortunately, he passed away sometime ago. There are venes that took over the place. Part barbershop, part drug den

Sad to hear. There was an increasing number of them before I left. Just shows you how things change. Thinking back, everyone has a fond memory of food they ate and things they experienced that are no longer there. When I was a little boy, back in the early 90s, my father worked in St. Augustine and would bring back butter fried chicken from Yang's every week. To me, that was some of the best fried chicken out there, if I had to choose between any other chicken and that, I'd choose it in a heartbeat. I had lots of good memories in Trinidad, memories of a Trinidad that was. Being able to stay out till 2-3 am, and being able to get home safe
sometimes just making a walk for it back from Chaguanas after a lime with the crew. Now all the fellers are scattered to the four winds and some aren't there any more. Just thinking about it makes you feel all sorts of ways and you really wonder where all the years went.

Ever had thr channa and cheese by nicks?

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » January 21st, 2023, 2:40 pm

triniterribletim wrote:

Oh goooodddd. You remember yangs from by montrose? The north and Central yangs were the best!

triniterribletim
Sweet on this forum

Postby triniterribletim » January 21st, 2023, 2:56 pm

matr1x wrote:
triniterribletim wrote:

Oh goooodddd. You remember yangs from by montrose? The north and Central yangs were the best!

Nothing could beat Yang's back in the day. The poor man's Valpark Chinese Restaurant, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that, because my mother's uncle was one of the chefs in Valpark back in the day, so I always ended up getting food from there or going to dine in and eventually he went on to manage the kitchen at The Rise. Yang's was on another level from most of these Chinese restaurants we have now. Apart from their chicken, the Mongolian Beef used to real lash. That's another former fixture of Chinese menus that disappeared from most places. Nick's was a fixture for me anytime I passed and the line was short enough to manage. I always preferred the chicken sandwich to the channa and cheese though. That sort of braised chicken with the slightly sour, savory taste is the perfect sandwich filler.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 21st, 2023, 4:47 pm

Cashier by Yang's in Curepe has to be the b1tchiest Chinese person I ever met

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » January 21st, 2023, 5:26 pm

timelapse wrote:Cashier by Yang's in Curepe has to be the b1tchiest Chinese person I ever met

Really? The one with the shoulder-length hair?

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » January 21st, 2023, 8:41 pm

Sours sometimes

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”