Forums

Choosing a Job

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: Choosing a Job

Postby nervewrecker » April 26th, 2021, 8:50 pm

Lily's roti I haven't had in awhile. Too much stress for park there. Have better options.

You would swear I have shares in curry express the way the door opens when I pull up. Bashir by the river after fyzabad secondary is a next spot for food. Halal

I think the guy across the road, narinesingh (a former schoolmate) is a certified caterpillar guy or something so.

I know denny take over speedwash. Hamid was the girl last name, some family to me I think.

Angie still holding down the sign and tint place in pepper village. Unless you talking about the car wash across the road. I think that building was built and owned by someone from the oil and gas sector. Not sure if angela bagged it. Would be a smart move to control both sides of the road and she is a businesswoman, she knows the game. She is also my former boss. You won't believe, just this evening me and tuner talking about winston. I understend steve in oropouche by bann trace there doing well in embroidery and engraving.

Almost forgot ryan (former coworker at k&a signs) in avocat. I understand he does the tinting and some sign work for reza in that street before avocat hardware there. Reza set up a decent operation as of late. Black evo 7, a tuner. Hopefully he update me so I can update here and update me on toolsie neighbors and the pizza....and when things quiet down a next ride in de evo.

Doris roti shop still around?

Has a bess roti in redbrick trace too.

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » April 26th, 2021, 10:46 pm

wtf wrote:I think everyone is looking at complicated ways to earn an income.
What are some very simple businesses that will earn money is the question to be asked.
Nobody wants to spend 20 years building a business and when they reach 60 they now ready to enjoy life.
Also what is a decent paycheck one should strive to achieve comfortably.. my figure is 10k monthly.

Nothing is really quick this time around as everything has contracted.

I guess PH and food or truck transport, works best of you have your own vehicle.

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » April 26th, 2021, 11:26 pm

Yes Doris is still around but it seems that she has extended her place to the pavement and is renting out real estate.

The UNIPET in Fyzabad was a tremendous positive for the area but the location does leave a lot to be desired. The real question would be the other NP gas station that is and has been for some time a burnt out building covered in vines.

Alana is also subletting some of the floors above her Main Road storefront as apartments to mainly immigrants.

$Valu has few working, a husband and wife who are quite nice and overall the service is good.

I still prefer $Valu's freezer section Anand's...sometimes he has some old stuff, Denny's is good but kind of cramped.

Squibees ice cream is great Guinness is way better than Ben and Jerry's or most foreign brands.

Darryl's Bar B Que is also really good, he offers wedges and onion rings not to mention he vey early on started offering delivery. Bayline is a good place especially with the parking that parking alone is a positive.

I'm amazed at the amount of pharmacies that Fyzabad has but glad. We do need some more doctors I can think of 2-3 and only one of them does house calls. Glad to see Dr. Bodoe's place up and running and he has a lab there.

Yes the area around Composite is fairly busy and the places there have descent parking.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 27th, 2021, 12:39 am

Oh yea, someone buy a roti by doris a few weeks back. Was doing a friend a favor and checking the ac for the nail tech across the road. She too does her nails by crystal, they are neighbors. Lydia from Renaissance by Lydia at twisters plaza gets her nails done by crystal also. I wish her all the best yes, want to see her succeed in life. Her hand work is done with machine precision.

twisters plaza owner is also the owner of the first gas station.

Haven't been in $value in forever.

Daryl and bumpy are family, I haven't purchased anything by daryl in forever because I just don't pass on the main road. I didn't know bayline up and running.

We have a lot of pharmacies and iirc I saw a doctor office open upstairs the pharmacy in pepper village. Not sure if is bodoe. Have that young clown that open downstairs lackram building and his wife runs the pharmacy. Complete idiot and unprofessional. I dont know where my half crack younger sister got her med qualifications and had him prescribe shiz for me. Was taking the meds and had a side effect, tremors. Tried to pull aside a day and got a ticket for illegal overtaking. Wanted to challenge the ticket and he refused to put pen to paper. When I checked what the meds were for I asked why he prescribe that? he refuse to answer and refuse to say anything. As far as I concerned he is a donkey and wouldnt recommend anyone see him. He waste mommy and daddy money to go to school, best he had specialized in cricket. All the tablets mysteriously disappear from home and all paperwork disappear. When I get some free time I will report he MC.

Bashir is the guy name by composite.

Notice the complete non existence of the younger generation in business in the town? Ever noticed the lack of workers in most places and the lack of professionality of some that actually working? This town will never prosper.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 27th, 2021, 2:34 am

pH not safe either. Some men haven't even recovered from the economic backlash of last lockdown.
Bills didn't stop, men have mouths to feed and things to buy.
It set off a chain reaction where everyone start to owe everyone.
Things so bad that even I can't just go pick up stuff in people place and ride out like I used to because my name good like gold. To speed up the process many a time I'd call and say I passing for this or that and just pick it up. When paperwork process cheque drop off. I needed two units last week, just over 10k. They said they know is not an issue with me and they know payment was never an issue but if it was up to them they give me it. But is not one man running a place, strict no credit straight across the board. It's on the grounds of bad pay where plenty people take stuff and haven't paid and they end up in a position where they owing. Said most they can do is have the paperwork in an order and is not like I have to reserve the equipment cuz is only a few men like Aaron and me and the rest even buying anything. Other men in the business scraping for work right now.
Told em I understand the situation because is not them alone in that situation.
Government seems to be the biggest bad payer. All kinda 3 years pass and some bills aint paid yet. They set off this stupidness.
They avoiding this next lockdown and doing what they have to in order to keep delaying it but right now looks like they really have to pull a rabbit out a hat to avoid it. My best wishes with gortt because they in a real tough position right now. If they have to, I guess they have to and it's a last resort.
At least it won't affect us directly but what about everyone else? Money just not circulating right now.
Numb3r4 wrote:
wtf wrote:I think everyone is looking at complicated ways to earn an income.
What are some very simple businesses that will earn money is the question to be asked.
Nobody wants to spend 20 years building a business and when they reach 60 they now ready to enjoy life.
Also what is a decent paycheck one should strive to achieve comfortably.. my figure is 10k monthly.

Nothing is really quick this time around as everything has contracted.

I guess PH and food or truck transport, works best of you have your own vehicle.

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » April 27th, 2021, 9:59 pm

Don't know to much about the beauty services that are in Fyzabad.

Yes Bayline has been up and running for a while now and folks say it's good, the location and carpark is just great for a convenience. Ramatally park is directly across the road I'm sure folks would use it.

The new building in Pepper Village is most likely Bodoe, he and his practice is downstairs, the pharmacy is on the second floor which is road level, and the upper floor I think is a lab don't know if it is affiliated with him or if someone is renting the space from him.

The young guy by Lackram is very concerned with his financial future, let's just put it that way.

The lack of younger folks in the town is on account of several things, I think the few I know I their 20's-30's have sought employment outside the area Fyzabad is just where they sleep in some cases they have moved entirely renting closer to work.

What you describe there is a cultural thing that exists throughout T&T's service sector.

Fyzabad is right now a sleepy town, best suited for having a house with a good yard and lawn. If your family has a car or 2 then Fyzabad is a good place to start a family. Relatively no crime and the location is fairly central. The drive to San Fernando, Siparia and Point Fortin isn't too long, so you can access Government Services and with the development in Gulf and C3 Fyzabad is close to a fair amount of entertainment and casual shopping for said family.

Sometimes I think that the location of Fyzabad being so close to Siparia and San Fernando made it difficult to compete.

It's not a bad area the issue is transportation once you have that.

Overall the lack of workers would have happened anyway, many of the smaller places wanted a reason to let go of staff. Since around 2018 things started slowing down, COVID was a good reason to decrease staff count.

A lot of the businesses are family owned and they probably couldn't be bothered to hire or train.

mad
Sweet on this forum

Postby mad » April 27th, 2021, 10:33 pm

Forget Daryl and Bumpy. If you want good BBQ head up by Jero's by Robert Hill in Siparia Old Road. He have a wicked pork belly and pig tail (if you does eat pork).

Only problem I hate by Denny is he don't accept credit card.

But you right, Fyzo is really a sleeping town. The only time you will see a crowd is on Labour Day.

ScHoolboySoloQ
Trinituner Peong

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » April 28th, 2021, 3:03 pm

nervewrecker wrote:What I learned in transmission and distribution in PETROTRIN is treat all conductors as live and safety first.

Always confirm isolation.

Lock out tag out.

Perform checks if conductors live. Can be non contact voltage tester, dmm, one strand of wire held by an insulated pliers shorting conductors, proper ppe like gloves and insulated shoes, tic tester and / or earthing gear. Had an experience first hand with high voltage once which I prefer not to disclose. It wasn't nice and protocol was followed. Sh1t happens, in the heat of the moment reality hit and I didn't exactly plan on making it back home that day.

Too much shock is not good and my work is not only with 220v. Hvac systems can be 440v as well and I have had to work around 12kv already.

A job in the field is not limited to high voltage. It can be with control voltage which is supposed to be less than 28 volts. Control voltage for systems has a market here in Trinidad and Tobago as well as feedback and monitoring devices.

Classic example is a tech can't be present 24/7 and there are systems rented out that need to be of a certain temperature. Failure to do so can result in the contract being breached. We have a set of remote monitoring systems in place that send out an email anytime temp rises above a certain point for a period of time. From there is call out.

Boats and platforms are 440v 3 phase. Don't get me started on electricians and ground wire. I had the pleasure of showing a class this weekend the importance of a ground on a 3 phase system. Line to ground readings would be false and incorrect because measurements between phases were correct. I grounded in the brass gland in the isolator to show them there is no ground. Wiring on the whole in this place is a trap. There were exposed live wires in the panel as well. Took to liberty of securing them.

One thing I heard as a newb "allyuh better keep that guy eh, he eye eh move from you since you here". I never really understood it because I was of the impression that is how anyone and everyone eager to learn is. Then I started working with other people. Men eye will be in the sky, men daydreaming, men doing thing and ain't taking note of what they doing or why. You know how much curse I curse already and like people out here can't learn or think on their own? I send a man in a container to check a remote on a system to see it it working. He walk up to the door, see it closed and come back and tell me the door closed. I ask if he tried knocking or tried opening it, he went back to try that. Came back to tell me it open. I ask of the remote working, he forgot why he went there in the first place. Came back to tell me it does not. I ask him if he noted the brand / make / model of the system so we can programe the remote, he went back again, came back, forgot, went back, come back to tell me the brand and he standing there with the literature in one hand and don't know what to do. I think he doing computer engineering or something so.
Just last week a man plug a 110v plug in a 220v outlet, how? I still trying to figure out. Men will work wonders out here and preform miracles yes.

Some electricians had to run some wires by me some weeks ago and when they came, they complain about how they don't want to break the wall. We have to break the wall they will just run the wires. Dad told them to gtfo :lol:

My uncle told me stories about engineers who graduate with first class honours can't do the work. Some does come in for a week then leave. He left for lunch and something come up so they bring out all these engineering books digging for the solution. They couldn't figure it out. When he reach back he start to cuss because it was a simple beam measurement.

A youth man they hire with a lower second class honours handling the work and showing great potential. He get a promotion within a year.

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » April 28th, 2021, 6:03 pm

That breaking the wall requirement has been going on a while now, in the "good" times many of them wanted you to pay someone else to break the wall itself, even plumbers would balk if walls would need breaking, however as with most businesses and the open market and pricing some eventually started doing it without the hesitation I suspect that in these times folks wouldn't mind doing it if it meant at least having a job.

Chances are that first class engineer didn't see himself working for a local, he probably wanted to work in an office for a multi-national.

A lot of guys do engineering because they didn't get into Med or they thought it was a path to a good income not because they had any mechanical inclination or idea of what industry is like.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 28th, 2021, 9:58 pm

Will check out jero's a day.

I liked the bbq I does ghet in santa flora before the unipet station. Used to buy at nights on my way home from campus when I take the field road and gave a palo seco guy a lift.

Fyzo just kept declining over the years. Low on crime, I cant share your sentiment when I live in the hotspot.

Men cant invest in a tool to cut wall or a sds drill? Serious?

Have two engineers I worked under, one woth hertiage direct (cool guy) and the next with Proman now. I still bounce stuff off em.

Have one relative that did engineering, was with petro and now with T&Tec I think.

The next is a mech, works with a local company in the private sector. Used to see him around in the transport section. Complimented my work some time back and introduced himself a few weeks before my surgery. Casual talk run into just about an hour or so and we discussed a lot of stuff. Felt good to chat with someone that sees things the way I do.

Last will be an aerospace engineer, brilliant guy to have lunch with and discuss stuff. One can learn a lot.

mad
Sweet on this forum

Postby mad » April 28th, 2021, 10:11 pm

That's Lisa BBQ you talking about. I find she quality drop bad over the years.
Doh forget Erica's chicken in Santa Flora. It tasted better when they were in the Bus. So sad it burnt down. Was actually in the gas station and witnessed when it burnt down.

ScHoolboySoloQ
Trinituner Peong

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » April 28th, 2021, 11:00 pm

I mean why would you choose to be an electrician if you scared to break a wall.

It have mortar to fix that don't worry thyself.

You probably right about the first class but thinking you don't have to break a sweat is very delusional.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » April 28th, 2021, 11:17 pm

Numb3r4 wrote:A lot of guys do engineering because they didn't get into Med

Is that really so?

Even doctors can't get jobs nowadays anyway.

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » April 29th, 2021, 1:24 am

SuperiorMan wrote:
Numb3r4 wrote:A lot of guys do engineering because they didn't get into Med

Is that really so?

Even doctors can't get jobs nowadays anyway.

It was generally the thinking especially when applying to UWI when in Form 6, even more so in 'prestige' schools.

And there is a hierarchy of 'respectable' engineering degrees held by those students going in, and their parents who dont come from learned and professional backgrounds based entirely on what sounds more prestigious, for example elec is higher regarded than mech because it sounds more modern so their children will be more pressured to go into that. Ridiculous yes but this is what happens. Ask most first year elec students why they chose that one and listen to his answer.

And on top of all that, students who realise how hard med is and the drilled in answer of "I want to help people" which masks the thought of their future paychecks shatter, they drop out of med and do something else.

Some also lose their schols because they couldnt keep up, so they drop out and do something else.

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » April 29th, 2021, 2:53 am

Yup...what Proton said.

The choice of a job is more dictated by what the immediate financial returns/prospects are, then you have to consider the social standing of said profession.

Doctors = "Bright"
Engineer = "Maths man"
Specifically
Elec = "You real like maths yuh good wit computers"
Mech = "Yuh did like cars when yuh was little"
Chem = "Yuh went by Jamot" or "Yuh like science"
Civil = "Mech didn't take yuh" or "Yuh didn't gettin mech"

Accountant = "So yuh going and open a bizness, yuh doin' ah MBAaaa, yuh could do peepel tax"
Operator (on a plant) = "Dem does make yuh kno'"
Anything with offshore = "Well he gettin' pay"

If you have a job that doesn't fall on the radar = "Well at leeess he hah sometin', it go keep him occupied, he hav ah lil end come month end"

With the newer impact hammer drills and such that excuse just doesn't hold water anymore at least the breaking of the wall part, some will break and mortar or they will break and then you agree to get a mortar man.

Most if not all the engineers I've come across are or were competent folks, the "bad" ones were usually the product of the corporate environment they were in. No challenge and they would get lazy or be too busy trying to get a promotion or bide their time to get out.

When the company they were in valued their work (or had a good standing in society or was a multi-national or good management) they displayed knowledge of what they were doing and knew their jobs. when the company environment wasn't the best well they did the bare minimum and probably tried to get out or only did what was needed to look good so that they could move on or settled.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » September 6th, 2021, 10:37 pm

Any software jobs pay more than 30k/month in Trinidad?

Devourment
Trinituner Peong

Postby Devourment » September 7th, 2021, 1:42 am

SuperiorMan wrote:Any software jobs pay more than 30k/month in Trinidad?

My cousin is a software developer and he makes over 70k but that's because he's freelancing.

There are many jobs locally but you have to be good. Most will pay someone with 2 years good experience between 12 and 25k.

Senior roles will pay above 30k easily.

neilsingh100
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby neilsingh100 » September 7th, 2021, 4:44 am

Devourment wrote:

My cousin is a software developer and he makes over 70k but that's because he's freelancing.

There are many jobs locally but you have to be good. Most will pay someone with 2 years good experience between 12 and 25k.

Freelancing locally or internationally?

Devourment
Trinituner Peong

Postby Devourment » September 7th, 2021, 6:03 am

neilsingh100 wrote:
Devourment wrote:

Freelancing locally or internationally?

I think both, he said many local companies want him full time but they can't afford him.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 1st, 2022, 10:35 am

Guys, what would you do given the below scenario?

A self-employed/small entrepreneur wishes to return to full time employment. His qualifications are Bachelors in Business Administration with First Class Honours and is currently a part time student at SBCS pursuing a Masters.

Offer:

A foreign company that has a presence is T&T has offered $1,500. USD monthly (this works out to be around $10,000 TTD approx.)

His previous position before leaving to pursue his business paid approx. $18-23k monthly as a base salary.

Now this guy is married but has no children. Together, the couple lives in a fairly recently acquired HDC house under a 25 year TTMF mortgage facility.

His wife works in a hardware (not sure if she does sales or is the cashier but it's a desk job for sure).

They have 1 vehicle (a 2014 Corolla Fielder Hybrid that they purchased in 2018 under a 5 year loan). The car is currently down as it is undergoing repairs.

So as you would imagine, the pressure is on. Business fold up, car giving trouble but the loan still continues, mortgage to pay and amongst other bills.

Given the above, would you in this day and age accept a $10,000. TTD a month job? Would you accept that knowing what your position and income was previously?

Should he wait for something better? 10k a month is small money tbh especially for an almost Masters graduate with lots of job experience.

How much jobs that are being offered right now actually pay 10k a month? Is that a salary you would accept?

Bank Tellers and Government Ministry Clerks probably make more money than that. What would you do?

The only advice I have is to stick to self employment and try to make it work cause better days are ahead, especially when the global economy turns around. The war on Ukraine and covid19 would not always be a recurring issue.

Now if he does get a 20k job offer, then the dynamics will change a bit.

Looking for perspectives based on real world situations.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » July 1st, 2022, 10:59 am

The job market is very tight atm.
If he really in a bind waiting whilst having a job offer seems a bit uppity. You have to swallow pride when the bills start piling up.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » July 1st, 2022, 11:04 am

agent007: I would say that it would make a good business case study :D :D :D

But, being single and being married with a mortgage to pay are 2 very different things.

Take the full time job until better can be done. That way he can continue to pay his mortgage without falling behind and suck salt until things improve.

At least he would have a steady paycheck coming in.

I guarantee you that down the road, he would be in a much better position.

death365
Riding on 18's

Postby death365 » July 1st, 2022, 12:23 pm

iz bess he stay as self employed until he get something paying more. that 10k is na enough

agent007 wrote:Guys, what would you do given the below scenario?

A self-employed/small entrepreneur wishes to return to full time employment. His qualifications are Bachelors in Business Administration with First Class Honours and is currently a part time student at SBCS pursuing a Masters.

Offer:

A foreign company that has a presence is T&T has offered $1,500. USD monthly (this works out to be around $10,000 TTD approx.)

His previous position before leaving to pursue his business paid approx. $18-23k monthly as a base salary.

Now this guy is married but has no children. Together, the couple lives in a fairly recently acquired HDC house under a 25 year TTMF mortgage facility.

His wife works in a hardware (not sure if she does sales or is the cashier but it's a desk job for sure).

They have 1 vehicle (a 2014 Corolla Fielder Hybrid that they purchased in 2018 under a 5 year loan). The car is currently down as it is undergoing repairs.

So as you would imagine, the pressure is on. Business fold up, car giving trouble but the loan still continues, mortgage to pay and amongst other bills.

Given the above, would you in this day and age accept a $10,000. TTD a month job? Would you accept that knowing what your position and income was previously?

Should he wait for something better? 10k a month is small money tbh especially for an almost Masters graduate with lots of job experience.

How much jobs that are being offered right now actually pay 10k a month? Is that a salary you would accept?

Bank Tellers and Government Ministry Clerks probably make more money than that. What would you do?

The only advice I have is to stick to self employment and try to make it work cause better days are ahead, especially when the global economy turns around. The war on Ukraine and covid19 would not always be a recurring issue.

Now if he does get a 20k job offer, then the dynamics will change a bit.

Looking for perspectives based on real world situations.

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » July 1st, 2022, 12:30 pm

In this economy I'd say take it as 10000 is above average, look at it from that perspective despite what qualifications and previous post he held. I know former petrotrin men who used to make a similar amount hustling for $350 a day with contractors as we speak because they have bills to pay and can't do better as oil field skills are non transferable. Your friend is lucky to get that offer

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » July 1st, 2022, 1:24 pm

Take the 10k job, unless it's paying less than you make in your business.

Having a job makes getting a future job far easier. Social proof, plus any relavent experience on your resume boosts your value.

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » July 1st, 2022, 1:40 pm

It's not always about how much you make. It is how you spend the money you make. It have people I know making $5000 and running their household with that. Alot of people wish they could be making $10000 a month. The uncertain thing about having your own business is one day you may make plenty, the next day you may make zero dollars. Take the $10000 job and keep paying your bills cuz u can always keep looking for something better in the future or start back your own business when things get better

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » July 1st, 2022, 6:58 pm

How is $10K not enough???....I'm really in the dark as to what goes on in TT...,

$10K is a lot better than $0K....well last time I checked..

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » July 1st, 2022, 7:40 pm

Numb3r4 wrote:How is $10K not enough???....I'm really in the dark as to what goes on in TT...,

$10K is a lot better than $0K....well last time I checked..

10k is better than 0 no doubt, but it's also very easy to be out of touch with housing costs in this country if you already own your home outright or have a low mortgage payment from a 20 year old mortgage still running.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » July 1st, 2022, 8:37 pm

Let him hold out for a better offer.
If the bank seize the house or he starve that's small thing.
Know your worth king.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » July 1st, 2022, 10:47 pm

Lol noted on the responses and sarcasm.

I told him to take the job but to send in a resume and fill out an application to work in the Teaching or Public Service. A primary or secondary school teacher makes more than 10k a month and a nice technical desk job in a Ministry would surely give him a stability some private sector employers cannot replicate.

I found out his wife is a clerk in a very popular hardware store and she makes $4k a month with some ridiculous hours.

Hats off to people making it work for less than 5k oui..now I understand why certain youth simply graduate to the protective/natsec services..they pay nice and you get OT.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”