Forums

Covid Survivors Speak Out

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

killercow
Riding on 17's

Re: Covid Survivors Speak Out

Postby killercow » May 15th, 2021, 11:36 am

eliteauto wrote:Seeing the lines at supermarkets with a reduction of operations by 1-2 hours and the solution you come up with is to further limit it to 3 hours ok
Exactly. Time constraints inevitably result in human bottlenecks. If you really want social distancing to be enforced, then supermarkets should be allowed to open 24 hours.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » May 15th, 2021, 12:45 pm

Social distancing includes temporal distancing which is having ppl come at different times. Limiting opening hours to a measly 3 hours would have the opposite effect.

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » May 15th, 2021, 12:52 pm

Open back curbside and delivery

killercow
Riding on 17's

Postby killercow » May 15th, 2021, 1:10 pm

aaron17 wrote:Open back curbside and delivery
I agree with this measure also. Keep the establishments closed to human traffic but allow curbside and delivery. That will also alleviate some of the grocery traffic too since apparently some trinis only going there to purchase pre-packaged / ready to eat food.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » May 15th, 2021, 1:18 pm

I think you all missed the sarcasm.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » May 15th, 2021, 2:25 pm

Survivor details physical, emotional, financial costs: ‘My covid19 nightmare’
SEAN DOUGLAS

Getting the covid19 virus can mean a long, pain, slow and costly recovery process...if you survive.

Former Petrotrin employee Roland McIntosh knows this all too well. He fell victim to the virus in 2020 and although he has recovered, eight months after his diagnosis, he is still struggling with the after effects of the disease.

He told Newsday that he spent six weeks at the Couva Hospital and even now, covid19 free, he still has trouble breathing and tires easily. But he is thankful to still be in the land of the living when so many – 87 alone this month up to Thursday ­– have died from the virus.

“I feel so lucky to be alive. I am one of the lucky ones, thank God,” McIntosh said.

He said he spent weeks hooked up to an oxygen supply, had over 100 injections and received dozens of vials each of painkillers, antibiotics, blood thinners and nebulisers. He lost 50 pounds.

“People really don’t know. I went in (to the hospital) for my birthday in September. It was the worst. I didn’t think I’d make it.

“And nor did my wife. Almost every day she was in tears when she called. I was able to talk to her, when I began to feel better, on WhatsApp.”

But before he recovered to that point, McIntosh described covid19 as “a level of torture. I could not get up for three weeks. If I had to get up it was just to get off the bed to use the bedpan, because I wouldn’t use it on the bed.

“It had many days I couldn’t get up. The nurses had to come and lift you, with bottle (for urination), then wipe you off and put you back on the bed. That’s how bad it was. I lose all my dignity there.”

In hospital he found himself lying among politicians and doctors all under treatment, a fact that shows the virus does not discriminate.

He hailed the medical staff as often going beyond the call of duty, describing dedicated nurses with beads of sweat on their foreheads working 12-hour shifts. “They are the real heroes although the population generally aren’t aware of them.”

“In that month I never once heard them talk rough to a patient.” McIntosh remembered a time a nurse thought a patient had died.

“She told him, ‘How you getting on so naughty, boy? You want to give us a scare?’ It’s the most loving set of people you’ll ever find. All of us who were up there could vouch for that.

“A little while after, you see eight, nine doctors and nurses, people you could never imagine we have in this country, trying to save this man’s life. Unfortunately he died at 4.15 pm.

McIntosh spoke of seeing doctors and nurses crying for their patients. “The worst thing was being on a ward and you see somebody die and they have to move them in a body bag. And you keep asking yourself, ‘Am I next?’ It was not easy.”

As for how seriously ill he himself was, he said, “I was 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for three weeks, on oxygen...You are tested four or five times in the night alone, and in the daytime.” This requires drawing blood. Lots of it.

Even after he was discharged, his stresses did not end. McIntosh said he felt stigmatised in his neighbourhood over his illness.

“I think this discrimination is one of the reasons people don’t want to go and get tested.”

He and his wife, he said, had been doing everything correctly in their daily activities, using masks and sanitisers properly.

He felt people who had been vaccinated were now behaving carelessly, and this poses a very real danger. It was for such people he shared his recollections, to let them know how painful and frightening this illness is.

McIntosh said the only way to beat covid19 was for everyone to follow protocols. “Someone came by us today and we wore our masks even though we were home.”

https://newsday.co.tt/2021/05/14/surviv ... nightmare/

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » May 23rd, 2021, 5:31 pm

https://newsday.co.tt/2021/05/23/recove ... M2YYTwfH64

Recovered covid patient: I don't wish this on my worst enemy
JANELLE DE SOUZA 16 HRS AGO

Gemmi Butcher -

Covid19 has taken several family and friends away from Gemmi Butcher over the past 15 months. So when she contracted the virus earlier this month, she thought she was going to die.

At first she did not suspect she had covid19, because her sinuses had been giving her trouble because of the Sahara dust in the atmosphere. But on May 7 she woke up with diarrhoea, a fever, and severe pain in her nasal passage.

She spoke to her father, who advised her to get tested, so she went to a health centre.

“It was one of the most painful things I’ve ever felt in my life – this long probe going deep into your nostril. It’s really an intense, burning sensation. It burned like pepper sauce.

“The doctor there told me they were very overwhelmed, so they would only call me if I was positive. But I got instructions to quarantine for 14 days.”

That Sunday she got a call confirming she was positive. She called her manager to explain the situation and everyone in her department at work had to be quarantined and tested.

Butcher, 40, told Sunday Newsday when she got the news she was so afraid that she cried. She had been watching the news, had heard the “horror stories,” and knew someone younger than her who died recently.

After almost a week of fever, on May 13, her temperature spiked and she was short of breath. An ambulance was called and the emergency medical technicians stayed in her yard, monitoring her vital signs and liaising with a hospital for about an hour.

“Eventually they got the okay to carry me to Caura Hospital. While heading up, all sorts of thoughts were coming to my mind. Am I going to die? What’s going to happen to me? What’s going to happen to my family?

"I was scared for my life. All I could have done was to give it over to God. I cried, and I cried out to Jesus, ‘This is out of my control. Please fight for me. Please fight to keep me alive. Because I was really frightened. I felt like I was dying.”

When Butcher arrived that night she was put in a bed. The nurses took her vital signs, asked her questions, and gave her something to eat. She said she was not given oxygen, but was encouraged her to breathe on her own as much as possible.

During her three-day stay she was given a barrage of tablets including antibiotics and painkillers. Butcher recalled lying in bed, surrounded by people moaning and crying out in pain, Her oxygen levels dropped several times.

She said the doctors wanted to discharge her and send her to a step-down facility the day after she arrived, but there was no transport, so she remained there until May 17 when a family member picked her up.

Just before Butcher left, a woman on her ward died. She could only bury her face in a pillow while another patient went to the bathroom to hide, because they did not want to see when the funeral home staff came for the body. It reminded them how easily it could have been them being taken away.

Butcher had nothing but praise and gratitude for the doctors, nurses, cleaners and other staff at the hospital, and described them as wonderful and dedicated.

“Nurse Mohammed, Persad, Blossom, Campbell and others – these are hardworking women. They were taking care of all of us at ward 8. They are short-staffed but they are hardworking and professional. They helped a lot of us – old, young, people with dementia, people who were blind – everybody.

"They need an award for the job they are doing, and I want to tell them thank you, thank you so much, because without them I don’t know how we would have survived.”

Butcher still has a cough, is short of breath and is constantly fatigued, but a doctor calls to check on her. She is still on antibiotics, as well as an inhaler to help with her breathing.

For her, it is relatively easy to quarantine at home, since she lives alone. Her father drops off food, water and cleaning supplies.

But she has to sanitise her home and look after herself, which is difficult since she is still unwell. She has to take things slowly and take breaks. When she is tired of lying in bed, she goes to sit in the gallery for some fresh air.

Butcher believes God heard her prayers, fought for her and continues to fight for her. She is also thankful to all who prayed for her and sent their love and support.

“You don’t know how ecstatic I am. I have a new lease on life. I want to help anyone I can to understand there is hope after covid. There is nothing in life that God can’t make a way for you.’

She begged the public to pay attention to the Prime Minister and health professionals and co-operate with them.

“It is frightening. I don’t wish this on my worst enemy. No human being supposed to go through this. This virus shouldn’t even exist, but it does.

"And then there are people out there saying this isn’t real? They are delusional. They are not in touch with reality. They need to wake up and realise this is real and it could kill them. They drinking and partying as if they don’t value their lives!”

'First dose of vaccine didn't protect me'

For Zico Cozier, 30, his experience was less physically taxing. His symptoms started on May 5 with a headache and fatigue.

He did not think much of it because, a few months previously, he had been very ill, with worse symptoms, and it was not covid19. Also, two weeks previously he had got his first shot of the AstraZeneca vaccine, so he assumed it was improbable he would catch the virus.

But out of an abundance of caution, he decided not to go to work.

By that Friday he still had the symptoms – in fact, they were worse, with the addition of nausea, sore throat, and a stomachache. He felt better by Monday, but went for a rapid test at a private facility so he could go back to the office.

“It was a total surprise when they told me I was positive. Immediately it was no longer about going back to work. Now I was concerned about my family, because not all of them got vaccinated.”

Zico Cozier -

He said most of his co-workers were already working from home, so no one there was at risk, and he had only been in contact with five other people outside his household. Those five people were not sick, and he said he was as careful as possible, so he has no idea where he could have picked up the virus.

When he got his positive result, he was given a slip of paper with the covid19 hotline numbers, but no further instructions. He spent hours trying to get through but could not ,so he contacted his doctor, who advised him to go through the public system and get a PCR test.

He was reluctant but went to a testing site the next day. He was in the waiting room of the public facility for three hours, and even though everyone was wearing masks and social distancing, he felt uncomfortable being covid19-positive and being around other people.

On hearing the news, two of his siblings were tested. His sister did a PCR test and is negative, so she went to stay by a friend. His younger brother, however, has covid19 but is asymptomatic.

A week later, he got a call confirming he was positive and telling him the whole household had to quarantine.

“When the doctor from the public health system called, he explained he could put the entire household under quarantine, based on my and my brother’s results, and the fact that my parents have symptoms. "Also, the doctor said private facilities passed along the rapid test results to the ministry and I gave them my parents’ information, so if anything bad were to happen, there would be procedures in place to care for them.

“I feel as if the vaccine has saved the lives of my parents. Because of their age, they are high-risk, but they barely have any symptoms. They were terrified of getting covid, especially since my dad has health issues, but thank goodness they did not fear the vaccine."

Cozier is grateful that his parents had just been vaccinated.

"I wouldn’t want to think about what would have happened if they had not gotten vaccinated two weeks before.”

He still has mild symptoms, including headaches, stomachaches, and exhaustion, but he is able to function and work for a little while every day.

He said he appreciated that the doctor took the time to answer all his questions patiently. The doctor was polite and thorough, and he felt cared for.

“It’s time for people to come together and support our health care workers. Obviously, they won’t always get things right, because this is a situation that is unlike anything TT, the entire world, has ever experienced before.

"People criticise, but I don’t think they realise there isn’t a rulebook. There isn’t a template in place that has been tried and tested. We have to be understanding and do better.”

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » May 24th, 2021, 1:06 pm

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » May 24th, 2021, 1:20 pm

just found out that my cousin's husband's dad who died a week ago died of covid. they buried him b4 the results came back.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » May 24th, 2021, 2:32 pm

redmanjp wrote:just found out that my cousin's husband's dad who died a week ago died of covid. they buried him b4 the results came back.

Condolences. Those death figures are really skewed.

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » May 24th, 2021, 4:09 pm

bluefete wrote:
redmanjp wrote:just found out that my cousin's husband's dad who died a week ago died of covid. they buried him b4 the results came back.

So they will skip his report ?

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » May 24th, 2021, 4:20 pm

Kenjo wrote:
bluefete wrote:

So they will skip his report ?

The time frame for deaths are usually 24 hours as compared to new cases which can range from 7days to about 2 days on the average.

If confirmation came after, he would most likely NOT be retroactively included.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”