TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Strange fluid leak

BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Audi, Peugeot, Renault, VW, Rover, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Kinday
12 pounds of Boost

Strange fluid leak

Postby Kinday » August 24th, 2016, 8:34 am

Hey tuners...Can anyone tell me what this is and where it could possibly coming from (pic below). I noticed the leak on the floor below our 2012 Passat 1.8 TSI. It's on the transmission side . Further inspection it appears to be coming from the transmission but I'm not sure as the shield is blocking the view and I can't make any other assumption as the intake and battery is over it when viewed from above. The leaking fluid is clean and clear with a green hue

Needless to say the car, now being out of warranty, is parked pending assessment from a mechanic.... Any qualified VW mechanic? Any hints? The car drives perfectly no issues but the leak is worrisome.

I took the sample off of the lower shield. Any suggestions?

IMG_20160824_081415.jpg

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Strange fluid leak

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » August 24th, 2016, 11:34 am

Mechatronic unit leaking. Eventually you will see a wrench symbol in your display by your gear numbers. I had the same issue. Mechatronic was replaced via Goodwill from VW. Ask Best Auto for goodwill as it's a known faulty part and there is nothing the dealer can do to service it themselves from a preventative point of view. NOTHING.

The vehicle may drive ok for a bit but once enough fluid is lost you will not be able to select or change gears due to low a hydraulic pressure to move things within the mechatronic unit.

Kinday
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Kinday » August 24th, 2016, 12:53 pm

I just got a pain.... Thanks for the info

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » August 24th, 2016, 1:11 pm

Let us know how things go.

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » September 5th, 2016, 6:59 pm

Definitely ask for Good Will... I think it unofficially applies once the vehicle is less than 5 years old.
Make your case with BA, and even email VW international directly here:

http://www.volkswagenag.com/content/vwc ... /form.html

If you have/had some reasonable service history with them it also works in your favour.

Lastly, if they do diagnose it as a mechatronic failure, ask if they would kindly check your gearbox for any shift fork issues before ordering parts.

Advertisement

Return to “EURO”