TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Induction to VW world...

BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Audi, Peugeot, Renault, VW, Rover, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

VW_Exec
Riding on 16's

Induction to VW world...

Postby VW_Exec » February 18th, 2012, 5:39 pm

Hi folks, after 10+ years as a Mitsu fanatic, I've just crossed over to a brand and vehicle that is indeed an excellent combination of value and performance in the local market.

Picked up 2011/2012 VW Passat Highline and would be happy to get to know fellow VW/Pass at owners over the next few months to share thoughts, tips and aftermarket parts sources.

Cheers,

VW_Exec (formerly Mitsu_Exec)

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: Induction to VW world...

Postby nes123 » February 18th, 2012, 6:54 pm

If its a engine tune ya want...checkout http://www.eurotuneperformance.com/....good service and those guys are knowledgeable and highly trained...ya should be able to get at least 40hp more if its the 2.0TSI you got..

TriniStyle
Ricer

Postby TriniStyle » February 20th, 2012, 9:45 pm

VW-Exec good buy. I was considering to buy a RAV 4 but came across the Passat and I love it. How is it handling and how is the gas consumption? Any regrets about going Euro?

VW_Exec
Riding on 16's

Postby VW_Exec » February 22nd, 2012, 9:25 am

Only have it a week - and under 300 miles on the odo. Observing the 1500 mile marker before I start stomping around, so can't say on gas consumption just yet.

For a big lady, she moves effortlessly - 7 butter smooth gears (in D, Sport of DSG-tiptronic modes), excellent handling and lots of torque.

Having test driven: Audi A4, Honda Accord, VW Jetta, Nissan Cifero, Kia Optima and Subaru Legacy...the VW Passat was an easy decision to make.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » March 26th, 2012, 8:50 pm

Congrats on getting the Passat. How has the service from the dealer been so far? Anything new to report about the Passat? How did the dealer recommend you break in the engine?

Mazdout
Sweet on this forum

Postby Mazdout » March 27th, 2012, 4:06 pm

Welcome to the VW world, not to big on the new shape Passat. Back to straight lines and a couple resemblance to it's sister. But handling,.. it does the job with smoother trans just under the steering.
Slight wind whistle at high speeds but very quiet and capable and more refine than most mentioned above.

VW_Exec
Riding on 16's

Postby VW_Exec » March 28th, 2012, 11:56 am

...That's why there's a superb sound-system that adjusts upward at higher speeds :wink:

Just collected car from 1st service (1,000 mile). Nothing fantastic - oil/filter change basically. As for break-in, I did a combination of VW manual and learnings from my own experience: don't pet engine (occasional WOTs), use all tranny modes, don't cross 2/3 of top-end speed (140-150kmph max) and be punctual with 1st service.

The car continues to greatly impress with its handling, ride quality, creature comforts and for me, looks. It's not the sexiest offering in the range of full sedans these days, but there's something about the design/symmetry that conveys the potential to be a classic. The straight lines which begin at headlights and run along body to connect to tail lights is very ingenious - I suppose some of the time I spent handwashing past couple weekends brought the beauty to light.

I would admit, however, that it initially took about 2 - 3 months for me to warm up to the design/shape and I truly dislike the Comfort-line version (slightly downplayed). Had some mixed thoughts on rim option as well (black/high-silver multi-spoke), but likewise, this has grown on me quite a lot given that I opted for a black-coloured vehicle.

Gas consumption: Thirsty. Two reasons I would attribute - lots of inner city driving and lead implants in shoe. But, hey, you sign-up for a charged engine, set aside $$$ for the brakes, tyres and gasoline.

Will try to get some pics done and posted soon. She really is a beaut.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » March 28th, 2012, 4:22 pm

Nice stuff.

Even though your gas consumption may be high now it may improve over the next 9000 miles.

I am supposed to be finally collecting a Jetta soon and I had similar initial misgivings about the styling but the more I see Jettas in person here the more I believe the styling, while conservative, won't be looked at in 5 years with a WTF expression on ones face like say...the current elantra, sonata and new civic.

Did you get the Minneapolis wheels? 17 inches?

Eagerly awaiting pics. Not enough good stuff on the euro forum

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » March 29th, 2012, 3:12 pm

bamboo the prices on that site legit?

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » April 4th, 2012, 3:36 pm

Got BSR tuning on a vehicle here and it runs fine with our local premium. Takes about 15mins to tune the vehicle. Could check it out if you want. I'm actually thinking of ordering the kit for the faster vehicle also. That could be fun.
This is the 2.0T or 1.8T you have?
Consumption shouldn't be high (especially compared to a 10yr old Mitsu) unless you're running it really hard all the time or spend an amazingly large amount of time in traffic. Turbos in euro cars actually increase mileage as well if driven normally.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Induction to VW world...

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » April 5th, 2012, 7:21 am

Is it wise to do ecu flashes on a vehicle under warranty?

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nes123 » April 5th, 2012, 8:20 am

According to a sales rep..not until 2 yrs passed..and doh feel ya can hide it....he said they found some with remaps already but notnletting the customer know..so if something happens....den ya goose is cooked

Mazdout
Sweet on this forum

Postby Mazdout » April 9th, 2012, 1:11 pm

So why not let the costumers know upfront??? So silly.
As a-matter-of-fact they could of use the info. to familiarize which works and which don't for future references.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Induction to VW world...

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » April 9th, 2012, 1:38 pm

They don't call them stealerships for nothing. I'm sure the owner's manual covers stuff like that anyway.

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » April 9th, 2012, 7:21 pm

It's strange that they don't allow tunes. They allow it for Volvo and it's the same dealer basically. Actually the dealer went as far as recommending which tune to use when consulted about it.

I'm actually not sure that's even true because I know someone with a Passat CC that had it tuned very soon after it left the dealership, they know about it as he spoke to them about it, and still retained warranty. I'd discuss it with your salesperson and let him get it in writing from them if they will allow it and have the manager sign it. If they agree that is. Can even let them do all the checking they want to see if the tune adversely affected the vehicle.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Induction to VW world...

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » April 9th, 2012, 7:39 pm

Maybe it depends on the warranty. An engine tune shouldn't affect your wipers for example. The dealer cant possibly say all your warranty is void just cause you tune one aspect of the car.

The strictness enforced depends on the manufacturer. Maybe Volvo isn't as strict as VW in that regard? Also how one interacts with the dealer makes a world of difference. I'm pretty sure the dealer would want to void my warranty at earliest notice lol.

Tired Accord
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Tired Accord » May 17th, 2012, 7:33 am

In the event you're pre-ordering a unit and not taking one from the existing stock, can you request to have it tuned by VW before shipping to TT, as long as you're willing to pay the price? Do you think the dealer will accommodate such a request?

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » May 17th, 2012, 8:22 am

I guess at the end of the day money talks. Upfront I'm pretty sure they will say no BUT if you really get your point across in that you are willing to pay then I guess they may be convinced.

The next thing though is how would you like it tuned. Not sure if VW does that sort of thing. They may push you in the direction of a more powerful model rather than a tuned version of the stock vehicle. e.g. they may say order the Passat CC-R instead of ordering a tuned Passat CC.

Take a trip to the dealer and post back your findings. Would be interesting to hear what they would do officially.

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nes123 » May 17th, 2012, 5:19 pm

Tuning an OEM car is a liability to any new car dealership...its just good business..unless the tuning house to be used was approved by the dealers themselves...like how AMG is to mercedes etc

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » May 23rd, 2012, 8:11 pm

Agreed. VW doesn't have an in-house tuner or a warranty approved tuner listed on their site anywhere I believe.
It's just a matter of choice for the brand. for example:
You can buy your new merc in trini with a brabus tune, or have it done at any time at the dealer...but the very similar tunes from kleemann aren't recommended.

Either way I highly doubt VW would have it tuned for you. If you're worried, just wait til the end of your warranty and then start playing.

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nes123 » May 27th, 2012, 7:28 pm

wait sterling offers after sales tuning options on mercs?how come kleeman isn't recommended though?I though their name is big in the tuning industry?Is it that their tune is too aggressive for warranty standard?

cdx2k1
Riding on 17's

Postby cdx2k1 » July 1st, 2012, 7:02 am

They in a sorta marriage..hence the low chance of infidelity to "other" brands

VWTrinidad
Riding on 13's

Postby VWTrinidad » July 3rd, 2012, 9:29 pm

Hey guys, any questions on parts and accessories, you can check us out on facebook as well https://www.facebook.com/Volkswagentt

VWTrinidad
Riding on 13's

Postby VWTrinidad » July 3rd, 2012, 9:30 pm

Any questions or concerns you can send them here and the dealer will reply - https://www.facebook.com/Volkswagentt/a ... 1216118819

rawCpoppa
Street 2NR

Induction to VW world...

Postby rawCpoppa » July 7th, 2012, 9:38 pm

Welcome to the forum VWTrinidad.

As this is an automotive forum maybe it would be best if we directed our questions here to you instead? Some of us don't use Facebook :)

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » July 8th, 2012, 1:17 am

rawCpoppa wrote:Welcome to the forum VWTrinidad.

As this is an automotive forum maybe it would be best if we directed our questions here to you instead? Some of us don't use Facebook :)

QFT

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » August 16th, 2012, 8:46 am

VW_Exec how's the car roughly 6 months later? How's the fuel consumption now? Well considering your driving style and distance anyway

How's the service from BA?

Also, why didn't you like the comfort line version? From their spec sheet the only differences I saw were the 12 vs 6 way electronic front seats, leather interior, immobilizer and the smaller rims.

In your opinion, why was this better than the Jetta?

VW_Exec
Riding on 16's

Postby VW_Exec » August 16th, 2012, 11:51 am

neexis wrote:VW_Exec how's the car roughly 6 months later? How's the fuel consumption now? Well considering your driving style and distance anyway

How's the service from BA?

Also, why didn't you like the comfort line version? From their spec sheet the only differences I saw were the 12 vs 6 way electronic front seats, leather interior, immobilizer and the smaller rims.

In your opinion, why was this better than the Jetta?

Yesterday made it exactly 6 months 8-)

Fuel consumption has improved (or maybe I'm cruising more... :| ) and I track it via stops at the pump. I've noticed I only need to fill up every 10 - 12 days, which means I'm at the station 2 - 3 times for the month at $265 a pop. This is about the same as my previous CY Lancer which to me is impressive.

BA Service? Only been there once since purchase; approaching 5000 miles this month so I'll be back within next week or two. I'm one of those particular clients who lets everyone know that I want back the car exactly how I left it (every inch of car that is) and DO NOT wash! (detailing has been strictly left to Kharim Khan only). Only one mechanical issue to investigate are intermittent squeaky brakes on gentle application. Will advise on solution if corrected.

As for Comfortline vs Highline - the first time my sales rep brought over a Passat, it was the Comfortline and the aesthetics threw me off. I pay a lot of attention to a car's presence and stance as well as symmetry throughout a vehicle: so wheel specs (16") were a no-no (too small for body), there was much less external trim (chrome linings), the LEDs are not available in lamps (front or rear) and interior was played down - leather, etc.

When I visited the showroom, seeing the Highline totally improved my impression of the Passat. I still believed the rims were off (18's would have been perfect), but other than that, it was a classy combination of finishes/features. Black, to me, was the obvious colour of choice (along with the attendant headache of maintenance) and maybe white or silver were close second/third.

I always had my mind set on the Jetta (since mid-2011), but my decision came down to wanting a mid-to-large sedan that still had some 'oomph' - a trade-up from the CY Lancer. The Passat represented better value for money in that 'step-up', when compared to say: Camry, Accord, Teana or Optima (cars I believed fell into that category). The A4 was a beauty, but it's a compact interior and you get that cramped feeling as opposed to A6. You also pay ~TT$400K upward for A4 (basic) as opposed to ~TT$350K for Passat Highline (fully loaded).

I am very happy with the VW Passat purchase and resale thoughts did not factor into my equation. I do not believe vehicles/similar assets should thought of in 'trading' terms. You buy what you can reasonably afford, has good functionality/features, throw in equity from sale of your previous ride (optional) and enjoy it for the term of use. You sell it for fair value that market will accept and repeat process.

neexis
Riding on 18's

Postby neexis » August 16th, 2012, 12:30 pm

VW_Exec wrote:
Yesterday made it exactly 6 months 8-)

Fuel consumption has improved (or maybe I'm cruising more... :| ) and I track it via stops at the pump. I've noticed I only need to fill up every 10 - 12 days, which means I'm at the station 2 - 3 times for the month at $265 a pop. This is about the same as my previous CY Lancer which to me is impressive.

BA Service? Only been there once since purchase; approaching 5000 miles this month so I'll be back within next week or two. I'm one of those particular clients who lets everyone know that I want back the car exactly how I left it (every inch of car that is) and DO NOT wash! (detailing has been strictly left to Kharim Khan only). Only one mechanical issue to investigate are intermittent squeaky brakes on gentle application. Will advise on solution if corrected.

As for Comfortline vs Highline - the first time my sales rep brought over a Passat, it was the Comfortline and the aesthetics threw me off. I pay a lot of attention to a car's presence and stance as well as symmetry throughout a vehicle: so wheel specs (16") were a no-no (too small for body), there was much less external trim (chrome linings), the LEDs are not available in lamps (front or rear) and interior was played down - leather, etc.

When I visited the showroom, seeing the Highline totally improved my impression of the Passat. I still believed the rims were off (18's would have been perfect), but other than that, it was a classy combination of finishes/features. Black, to me, was the obvious colour of choice (along with the attendant headache of maintenance) and maybe white or silver were close second/third.

I always had my mind set on the Jetta (since mid-2011), but my decision came down to wanting a mid-to-large sedan that still had some 'oomph' - a trade-up from the CY Lancer. The Passat represented better value for money in that 'step-up', when compared to say: Camry, Accord, Teana or Optima (cars I believed fell into that category). The A4 was a beauty, but it's a compact interior and you get that cramped feeling as opposed to A6. You also pay ~TT$400K upward for A4 (basic) as opposed to ~TT$350K for Passat Highline (fully loaded).

I am very happy with the VW Passat purchase and resale thoughts did not factor into my equation. I do not believe vehicles/similar assets should thought of in 'trading' terms. You buy what you can reasonably afford, has good functionality/features, throw in equity from sale of your previous ride (optional) and enjoy it for the term of use. You sell it for fair value that market will accept and repeat process.

Well right now I'm strongly considering the Jetta. I've always liked the passat but somehow I think this model isn't as nice as the Jetta.. externally anyway. That said, I havent yet ruled it out as an option as I plan to test drive both.

The most obvious advantage is the $100k price difference and I'm assuming the 1.4tsi will have better fuel consumption. My driving is about 80% highway on a daily basis with 3-4 trips to south every week. I probably put $140 to$160 in gas every 5 days or so in my altis.

The passat definitely has some more luxury features, and having used a touareg many times before I can appreciate how easily you can be spoilt by some of them.

I defimitely want a car thats larger and feels more solid on the road and both cars fit the category.
Is the passat that much bigger than the Jetta? Do the features justify the price difference?

I suppose a test drive will be the only way to make a real decision.

VW_Exec
Riding on 16's

Postby VW_Exec » August 16th, 2012, 12:34 pm

some pics taken a month or two ago...following a Kharim detail
Attachments
VW4.jpg
VW4.jpg (25.43 KiB) Viewed 7895 times
VW3.jpg
VW2.jpg
VW1.jpg
VW1.jpg (26.77 KiB) Viewed 7895 times