TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Pros and Cons of new 1.4 tsi Jetta

BMW, Mercedes, Mini, Audi, Peugeot, Renault, VW, Rover, Volvo, Porsche, Jaguar etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Pros and Cons of new 1.4 tsi Jetta

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » September 27th, 2011, 1:33 pm

Looking at the new 2012 Jetta and on the surface it looks like a solid buy based on price ($230K) but I may be overlooking a few things.

Pros:
Cheaper initial price than Lancer GT
Low Theft in general for VW (Do insurance companies recognize this?)
6 airbags standard
Good mileage (1400 cc TSI engine)

Cons:
Dealer servicing costs possibly higher than japanese cars in its segment locally (Corolla, Lancer, Civic).

On paper it looks to me a good buy but I have zero experience dealing with the local dealer. Are they reputable and hassle free? I've heard one or two stories about bait and switch on the pricing to entice you but I would like to hear the good stories too about dealing with the dealer too.
Last edited by Allergic2BunnyEars on October 2nd, 2011, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Pros and Cons of new 1.4 tsi Jetta

Postby Habit7 » September 27th, 2011, 2:35 pm

Some insurance companies give a discount for euro cars (safety and low theft)

The engine might be advanced but its suspension and headlights are a bit of a throwback

rawCpoppa
Street 2NR

Postby rawCpoppa » September 27th, 2011, 4:13 pm

^^^Sales guy at Best Auto insisted that the JETTA we are getting is the euro spec one with the advanced multi link suspension versus the older torsion beam suspension of the US JETTA. Not sure how to check how accurate the accuracy of the local JETTA though.

I agree on the headlights though.

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nes123 » September 28th, 2011, 3:43 pm

We actually do get the euro version with multilink suspension ..I checked myself...

@Habit7....I understand what you mean about the headlamps being throwback,but trust mih when I tell ya...we in trini feel projectors is the "IN" thing and actually illuminates the road better...honestly if you have seen the jetta's headlamps in night time,it actually does the same job as factory OEM (no I am not working Best Auto)...it has a neat cutoff line as does the projectors of any euro variant...when next you go ask the to turn the car around and point it at the side wall and switch on the lights...

about the suspension,its multilink setup actually works,why change it?

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » September 29th, 2011, 10:59 am

^^^well from my vantage that was what I saw as the cons (btw give me a review of those headlights 6mths later). But from your vantage what are the pros and cons?

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nes123 » September 29th, 2011, 6:09 pm

Well boy Habit7 from what I see those headlamps won't suffer the same fate as lets say the bora..with the film that coats the lens,dirt,smog etc...these have a protective coating film which protects the lens from aging,like how the octavia has...and that's why its always shinning....my pros and cons are as followed:

Pros:
for 800km+ on tank of premium- ($200) to fill
Low maintenance- (tranny fluid doesn't need changing,this saves cost) as is dry clutch
Engine oil CAN be replaced after 2yrs rather than traditional 1yr -only see firm once per yr. esp before 1st service.
Brake pad replacement after 3-4yrs,if doing only North -South runs;2yrs for alot of traffic
Best in class brakes-duel vacuum power assisted bigger diameter discs(brakes feel stronger to stop from speeds of 160km..that's where duel vacuum kicks in
DSG 7 gearbox -shifts faster than a manual gearbox,really fun to drive
better option @$230k,than buying civic,mazda 3,corolla,sylphy
Security double locking doors
quiet at speeds up to 170km/h comparatively speaking
1.4TSi tunable engine
Intelligent lighting system fro trunk and cabin (if the trunk stays open for long,the light shuts off to save on power

Cons:
the touch screen SAT/NAV headunit is cool,but I don't like it..finger prints like wow from heavy use.
lack of aftermarket wheel options in the reasonably affordable price range

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » September 30th, 2011, 2:57 am

Many pros as listed above.
Main Con everyone seems to miss is that the jdm cars in this range will be more reliable. I'm not saying the Jetta will shut down or anything, but as with all the Euros they are more likely to have random problems. Just stuff happens with Euros.
Also, the DSG tranny does have the disadvantage of the little delay from standstill. Quite a peppy little car though.
And one more thing I dont' particularly like is the that the steering is tilted upward slightly and cannot be adjusted straight. It's how it's mounted. Not sure if that has been changed since I test drove a year ago.
Find someone else with them and ask about the things that are important to you.

Still at the price I agree it is the best buy in it's class. It's the car I always recommend to people shopping in this range now.

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nes123 » September 30th, 2011, 2:30 pm

@ nemesis...not to bash ya or anything eh man, but JDM cars are not more reliable than EURO's....it is form my personal experience I can tell you it's the other way around..I have owned the best of JDM in terms of reliability NZE,CS3 et al and Jetta/Octavia thus far.The quality of the VW group cars has increased and it more upscale.All EURO cars for EURO markets( are built for thousands of miles of Autobahn Highway with and without proper maintenance in some cases...I have visited at least 5 -10 other Euro branded forums and fellas getting up to 500,000km namely the - octavia and jetta 1.4TSI (140 & 160ps)cars which stood out, and not seeing any failures..at.JDM cars which were built for smaller highways,once they reach 100 - 150,000km coil-pack going,steering ends,don't talk about cradle bushings going in the first 40k?

About the DSG, maybe you test drove a lemon,not bashing you or anything eh man,but the DSG is instantaneous once the throttle is depressed it shoots off,its a little on the aggressive side also,as you experience a slight buck - then responsiveness follows.It mimics a manual transmission car with a copper clutch and lightened flywheel.

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » September 30th, 2011, 6:27 pm

I don't consider it bashing, but I still think you're wrong.
I'm not saying the cars will simply stop working, but they have been known to give more small issues than the JDM cars. And it's not just me that thinks that. It's always mentioned on car shows like Top Gear and Motor Trend etc, and they've tested quite a few cars I'd imagine.
If you check the ratings at the end of the year in the US you will also see that the number of problems per volume of cars always had the Euro cars way above the Japanese. Only when the Japs do a large recall does it ever shift around.
I do believe however that the Euro cars are getting even better now, but we can't really tell until they've served their time can we?
And yes I know all the longest running cars in the world in terms of distance are mostly Euro. Is this something I would trust? No. That's like saying I'll trade in a Corolla for a Focus because one Fiesta crossed a million miles. And yes, believe it or not, Ford and Volvo have some of the longest running cars in the world yet in reality have terrible reliability ratings.
You need to compare local statistics. We don't have the range to drive 500kkm on every car obviously, so work within the stats we can. And keep in mind when you're reading forums that the people that go to them don't go there intending to bash their own car.

Did you buy your JDM cars from new? Because I’ve know quite a few people who had NZ-E’s and they had no problems with anything.

And I’ve driven 4 cars with DSG so far. 3 were new from the showroom and 1 was a friend’s. And they all did the same so I figured it wasn’t a lemon problem. It’s a short delay, but it is there. Maybe the Jetta no longer has this, I don’t know. The one I drove did however. Once you start it really goes though.

As I said before, it’s still the best bet in the price range, but it does have Cons also. And I just listed what I’ve observed and read thus far. Don’t get me wrong, I love Euros. I’m always telling people how much I prefer them. Even though I was in TSOC because of the Legacy probably everyone there could tell you I prefer Euros. But that being said, they do have their issues, which I myself accepted and went Euro.

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nes123 » October 1st, 2011, 8:26 am

I think we both can agree here that yes,Euros had little issues in the electrical department,but, pre 2006.....from that year forward most if not all these have been rectified,more specifically in the initial affected brands Peugeot,VW,Renault,BMW etc..

Now granted these were mainly electrical, and in some cases, quality issues in the interior department,is this really a true test or factor of overall reliability?becuase I think we both can agree our climate had a huge part to play in this.

I'm assuming when you speak if reliability, you refer to mechanical or engine electricals right?If that is the case I'm calling on you to name at least 2 Euro's which has these issues in the reliability department.

About American reviews on Euro cars, I believe this argument is null and void as we both know Americans are biased to their cars over the European counterparts, and the euros are biased to there cars and consider american cars to be rubbish...basically americans don't like euros,so their reviews are always reflected as such.

Now about Top Gear, not once have I heard them say anything bad about European cars post 2000 era,save for 1 or 2 electrical nibbles in either french or italian cars...the VAG group had maybe 1 or 2 as well,but reliability was never an issue among all.

I think though that the REAL and main reason why we in Trinidad may or may not experience issues with our euros is because the stealerships here do not have the necessary trained and capable staff to properly maintain these euros.When you have 90% staff with 3-5cxc passes and just 3-4 head mechanics with a little more training,there is no way they can monitor all their junior technicians...aside from that there is no real way to ascertain how trained these senior mechanics are. In most cases a foreign technician is almost always brought in to teach the locals how to diagnose basic faults and maintenance...these cars are more technologically and electrically advanced than our JDMs,so when the necessary maintenance adhered to is not done,a couple years down the road, something fails...

On the JDM side, though they are only now starting to get advanced,they ars still babies compared to the euros,so the overall maintenance maybe slightly lower than some JDMs in some cases...something simple like lubricating the bonnet lock in a euro to replacing the brake fluid every 2 yrs...these things are not adhered to in local firms..when either of these fails,all it takes is one trini to say "boy dem cars not good" etc etc....in JDMs these things are left out during routine maintenance and in some cases not necessary,but the extra little maintenance in euros is worth it as the braking for instance is superior,and the locking mechanisms are anti theft.

And to confirm your statements about Ford and Volvo being of poor reliability,yes....but in that pre 2006 era and also due to lack of properly trained staff adhering to the simple but necessary maintenance on those both brands...thats what happen when you hire technicians with 3 cxc passes etc...not that I against these min requirements,but because again training,and most are not used to or accustomed to the seemingly unusual maintenance.....my initial point about euros crossing 400kkm with no issues are testament to both superiority and reliability of Euros over JDM...it'd unreasonable to think that cuz ppl don't bash their cars,that all 5000+ ppl on said forums would lie about their cars...which is why I don't take word from one site,but visit others to formulate an opinion...

see below for current EURO consumer reliability ratings for 2011 done by JD power,and the 2nd placed Honda is EURO HONDA,not de arse we does get here..I chose the Euro consumer ratings as they get most of the cars our market gets..1.6 engine and all..

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » October 1st, 2011, 6:33 pm

Yes I agree many of them have been rectified and the Euros have definitely gotton better.
Our climate does affect the cars obviously because you dont' see cars of similar age in Europe having the headlining fall off and as many problems, but isn't it in Trinidad the OP is thinking of getting the Jetta?
Also about the technician training. I assume this is getting better. I know when I last carried my car to dealer I got e-mails and a call from the dealer in England asking me if the service was ok and if everything is working fine. Shows that local dealers are being monitored and have had to improve now.
As for the reviews of country vs country. I’ve not seen that in any way. Yes the US is trying to rate their own cars higher now, but it simply isn’t working. In fact, up until 2009 the US cars were still the top of the list in unreliability IN THE US. Just the Euros tend to come next and then the JDM’s mixed in.
Do you really think the JDM cars are less advanced than the Euros? In general yes. But Lexus and Infiniti have had many features and advances in technology ahead of the Euros quite often. Only as of 2010 forward did the Euros seem to overtake them. But before that there were always single Japanese cars that were quite high in technology.
Even on your list there two JDM brands are at the top. And Honda is Japanese. If you want to look at it being a different model in the UK, it’s still a Japanese car.
Also I don’t know about you or anyone else here, but maintenance or not, there’s no way I’d say Alfa Romeo is as reliable as Toyota. Definitely wouldn’t attempt that in Trinidad.
Anyway, it is up to the OP on what he chooses. I’d still say go with the Jetta. Most features, best safety features, and best drive for the price and hope everything works fine.
What you really need are about 5 people that own them to tell you their experiences. I don’t have a VW, don’t know if nes does.
Oh, and Top Gear always mentions Japanese Reliability in their news. Even up to season 17 it was said. But that is irrelevant I suppose. Their reviews aren’t really suited to us.

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nes123 » October 2nd, 2011, 9:56 am

Though you may have gotten calls from England,this doesn't really dictate,nor indicate our local dealers are doing the necessary maintenance..cuz if it were me and there was some phoq up in the garage,I eh saying boo to them headcompanies to loose my service agreement...dat's the typical trini for you...case in point..my brother bought a used octavia from sterling with 42,000km and is 5yrs old...not once did Sterling indicate to the previous owner that ok,its now 4yrs and the tranny oil is due to be replaced...not only that,but the bonnet locking mechanism supposed to be lubricated every 30k km;upon closer inspection,it was bone dry...another example,the braking fluid supposed to be replaced every 2 yrs or when you replace the pads...neither of these were done....so you see how euros eventually get a bad name?maybe 5-10yrs dwn the road when something bad happens,the owner of this brand will say "boy dem skodas eh good nah"...this is where is starts...thankfully all was well with no issues..

Also,the US gets different export model EUROs..different from what we get here...eg..focus,jetta,bmw,merc,audi...all have some slight variations in either mechanicals or electricals...when something fails guess what?its on a magazine review...its for this reason the US as I said earlier are biased to their own cars,but maybe with good reason as they get garbage (relatively speaking).This point can be noted in other comparison reviews on the same cars in different countries...eg. England which would say diiferent cuz they get Euro Spec'd cars.

With regard to Lexus and Infiniti, I won't make such a broad statement in that category in terms of features?namely?Remember, these executive JDM brands took notes from the Euros in the first place and try to make similiar features vary,so as to give the impression of some sort of originality eh.If we are speaking about technology on the other hand,such as?Don't get me wrong ,but yes those two brands are very up market in quality/features etc...but only technologically advancement here was the LFA,which definitely made its name the world over with that masterpiece,but what has Infiniti got aside from looks and features that's so "advanced"...As far as I can recall,I've never seen either of these 2 with a feature that lets say an E class has,where if cruising down the Highway,and you nod off behind the wheel,that the car actually slows down if it senses traffic in front of you,also keeping in the lane..this is technology here in raw form...and that was pre 2010...

WRT to my listing the, HONDA Accord EURO is second...this is built in the EURO market,by the Europeans although under the JDM car maker...this is cuz JDM accords don't quite meet the usual european high quality,emissions and standards to compete with BMW,MERC,JAG,AUDI et al...so it's really Lexus which stands out in reliability which is quite impressive...now this is my personal theory,but I believe this is only the case because Lexus us built in a hot climate..so more emphasis is placed on materials used which will be able to withstand the hot climate (by default)...put this car in a cold climate and presto!!!perfect car!..the flip side,EUROs I think don't emphasize the quality of materials too much because they can't mimic our hot or humid climate for longevity testing,cuz once it lasts long in colder climate,they assume same in hot?

WRT to Alfa Romeo,we can't not agree with this as we are not exposed to this brand locally..this brand has also evolved post 2006...you would be amazed of the tech and quality here...you should check some reviews out on youtube..

TOP Gear mentions JDM quality yes, you have to give jack his jacket.. :P ...but they never really compared it to Euro counterparts unless its a car to compete with the premium autos,which in any case would hardly be better than its euro rival...bottom line as you said is,its up to the OP on what he spends his money on,but I knw he won't be disappointed 5-10yrs down the road,cuz the outgoing models are already 6yrs counting with no issues thus far.. :D

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » October 2nd, 2011, 10:49 am

Lots of good info in this thread. I'm going to be purchasing the Jetta as no other car in Trinidad in that price bracket competes with it hands down.

My other main concern though is the dealer. Nes123 gave an example of a dealer who didn't do the established services for the Octavia. This similar scenario could happen to me or others if customers don't know better. Can you tell me how you found out the required servicing for a vehicle of a certain age or mileage? I tried looking for service manuals for the JETTA online but to no avail. Is this sort of info included in the manual that comes in a new vehicle? (I doubt or else the original Octavia owner would have known but just asking nonetheless).

This sort of info would be helpful to ensure the dealer doesn't hit one a six for a nine.

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nes123 » October 2nd, 2011, 5:23 pm

Bunnyears,this basic maintenance was found in the same owners manual,when compared to the service booklet,none was done...so the previous octavia owner,like the average trini,doh bother to read it and take it for granted that as the car is under warranty,the dealers are seeking the interest of the owner...maybe its a deliberation of the firm hoping something fails outside of warranty so owners have to spend money...but they can't break the octy even if they try :o

Basically go by the booklet,and ask questions...research as I do...FYI though, SKODA themselves indicated the cambelt in 2006 models needs to be replaced at 90k or 4 years,guess what?post 2008 booklets,same engine indicates they can be replaced at 120k and in some cases don't need to be replaced for life of engine or 300,000km as they use a conti timing belt,made from kevlar...go figure..all these are just ways to make money off of our heads,the thing is we need to join the necessary forums in EUROPE,ask alot of questions and read the service manual...but with the Jetta,the only thing major needed is the engiine oil...tranny oil doesn't ever need replacing....you can expect 300,000km + on this engine and tranny as I've seen on the outgoing Jetta with same drivetrain..some ppl complain of clutches failing after 400,000km after which its pricey to replace about TT$12k in parts alone give or take...but in that 7yrs expect prices to go down a bit.In our country you making that kinda mileage in about 7yrs maybe more depending on how you drive and how often :D ...hope this helps

on a side note if you have 250k to spend, may wanna consider the 1.8TSI Octavia with DSG6 I believe...better quality and more value for money IMO, and the transmission is beefier than DSG7 :o

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » October 2nd, 2011, 7:19 pm

Whey, real long tings to read.
Well I agree about the dealers, they have had many reported maintenance issues. I’m just saying, it looks as though they are getting better and are being forced to. Maybe it’s just for show, I don’t know.
I don’t think people look at a car giving problems 10 years later and say the brand is the problem. It’s more likely if things happen in the first 3 yrs people complain. After 10yrs you have to expect something to go wrong.
As you mentioned the US get different models, and they never say anything bad about their own cars….but then you assume the Europeans would tell everyone if anything was wrong with theirs? So just the Americans are dishonest, no one else in the world would be? I don’t buy that. Besides, most Americans do agree that their cars are generally inferior with the exception of the Vette and Mustang. They defend those to the core.
Technology, well, that feature you mentioned there is of Mercedes design, but the lane departure warning was actually lexus first. They didn’t slow down the car, but it vibrated the steering to let you know. As was self parking, 360 view parking, radar cruise control, and a few others. Honestly, at this point it really doesn’t matter, I’m just happy everyone is using them. And in this respect the Euros are ahead in one main thing. The features trickle down the lines better. You can’t get any Toyota with half the safety features as a Jetta, yet the LS has basically all the same features as the Audi’s, Mercs etc. And you can’t argue with Nissan’s technology. They brought the GT-R. A car which when released wasn’t allowed to be tested on some tracks in Europe because of how badly it would have embarrassed them.
I have no idea bout your climate theory. Makes sense to some extent, but then if they know they’ve been having this problem for years it would have been fixed right? Maybe not if the hot climates are a small % of their sales. Who knows?
About Alfa, they’re great cars new no doubt. I’d be skeptical about them after that for many reasons.
And yes there have been some issues with the Jetta’s locally I’m sure, but they may be isolated. I personally know of one really bad one and one or two other minor issues. Still things you never hear about from other brands. As I said though, isolated events possibly.

Anyway, good choice Bunnyears. I almost bought one myself 2yrs ago. 
Good advice from Nes there. Learn about your car, ask lots of questions and do join the euro forums. They tend to know the correct maintenance better than even some of the dealers here. Maintenance should be very easy though.

We need to get the rest of the Euro forum more active here.

And that be the end of this discussion for me. :)

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nes123 » October 2nd, 2011, 10:13 pm

:lol: :lol: boy nemesis I feel if we should ever meet we probably would be talking for hours yes...is all about knowledge sharing :) ...

The Europeans actually do hold unbiased reviews toward EURO cars (anything German) as they are done by mainly UK folks..the only car they seldom ill-speak about are British cars...land rover, Aston,jag...but nevertheless the real battle has almost always been who builds better cars between EURO and US car manufacturers..these reviews are also backed by the independent forum sites I am a member to and visit,so its from this I derive and relay information about reliability etc...its not that the US are dishonest,its just that they are annoyingly patriotic to anything american..this we know...

My mistake, but you are correct as it was the (JDMs) which initiated the lane departure by the Infiniti brand. But the Euros joined the bandwagon and went a leap forward in this regard...so by the term "technology" used in your discussion this is what is really considered on my part,the Merc or Euro....NISSAN came damn good I can't deny,but only after the Euros were leading over the last decade and before in supercars....but its not the best,just in terms of budget and tech yes..value for money...but its fierce fiery competition I like to see...cuz the new Porsche 911s murdering the GTR for just 60k more...so if ya have US$90k to spend,den ya definitely will have US$60k more..

WRT my theory,yes they may be aware of the climate theory,but think about it this way..if it holds out in 1st world countries and rivals other high end rivals,then not too well in 3rd..why care?there is additional revenue to be made from parts sales not so?its about making money mostly,but so what if we here have lil aesthetic issue...once the mechanicals are strong thats small thing...that's how they thinking...but who knows...

those minorities about the jetta are due to some negligence or maybe some lemons in the bunch I'm sure..but I'm curious what kind of issues they got?remember all car brands have lemons...even our local corolla's I have heard of electrical issues also..lancer as well...CVT tranny failure remember?but again due to lack of proper maintenance and owners not knowing how to treat their cars...on the wider scheme of things,bottom line...VW 2006+ is up there with the rest...

yeah I think we should kill it before some men get 20+ email notifications from this thread :lol:

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » October 2nd, 2011, 11:51 pm

Yes I'm sure that would happen if we met.
Well we'll end it here. But I want you to check all of one thing about the making money and selling parts thing.
Do yuh research on large car manufacturer profits and it's distribution. You will notice up until 2007(might have been 2008) that Toyota was the only car company in the world to turn all of their profit from new car sales only. All the others, including the other Japs all required heavy parts sales. And guess where Toyota is from. :)
Anyway, again I will say. It ends here for me. Laters. Maybe we meet sometime. Should organise a Eurotuner meet.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » October 3rd, 2011, 12:09 am

The Octavia is a nice car but I never liked the styling 100%. To me it got a little uglier with the facelift. The 1.8T sounds nice. Similar specs to the 1.4 TSI with better 0-60 times and slightly lower mileage. I wouldn't pay the extra $20K (or $10K compared to the fully loaded Jetta) for that considering I don't like the body style. Not knocking the car but just isn't my ideal cup of tea in the price bracket.

Next Jetta supposedly arrives in December.

First post should have been this below

Ordered the tempest blue metallic fully loaded:

PROS:

1.4 Turbo Super Charged Engine - 160 HP @5800 rpm.

Torque: 177 Lbs.ft/ 240Nm at 1500 rpm. <---this car is a problem acc wise for many cars with an engine up to 2.5 litres NA and some 1.8T cars out there 1400kg or heavier.

0-60 in 8.3 seconds.

47 mpg / 6 litres per 100km (combined urban + extra urban)

Front, Side & Curtain Airbags (6 total)

4 wheel disc brakes with ABS. Electronic Stability Control. 17 inch rims.

6 CD changer/Mp3 player/radio with SD card slot, touchscreen (6.5 inches) and bluetooth handsfree. Ipod cable. 10 speakers.

2 zone AC so passenger and driver can have separate temps.

Factory installed anti theft system and immobilizer. Interior motion sensor alarm.

Multifunctions steering wheel. Height and Length adjustable.

Front and rear optical parking sensors. Images displayed on touchscreen.

All windows are One touch power windows.

Sunroof

2 years Unlimited Mileage Warranty, 3 years on Paint Faults and 12 years warranty on Body (Rust).

2 years Roadside Assistance courtesy 800-STAR

Front more conservative than previous Jetta :lol:

Cons (more so in-terms of price):

Average service costs of Jetta (shamelessly stolen from another thread):
- 1000 Miles - Free (supposedly)
- 5000 Miles - $1,100
- 10,000 Miles - $1,300
- 15,000 Miles - $1,100
- 20,000 Miles - $3,500 (If front Brakes to be changed +$850)
- 25,000 Miles - $1,100
- 30,000 Miles - $1,300
- 35,000 Miles - $1,100
- 40,000 Miles - $4,000-$5,000
These are figues put forward by the dealer but I haven't been able to verify.

Car only runs on premium. $316.25 dollars to fill d tank with 55 litres of premium gasoline. The tank usually has about 3 litres in reserve when the fuel light comes on it costs on average in real world usage about $299 for 52 litres of premium. ~figures updated with new premium gas prices from 2012-2013 budget.

Steering wheel not tilt adjustable.

Extra options limited from the dealer/dealer not willing to make compromises on some options to please customer totally.

Tall drivers heads are an inch or two away from roof.

Possible con in the way the vehicle holds up to TnT's hot climate.

Front more boring than previous Jetta :agrue:
Attachments
6.jpg
5.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
2011060107171225.jpg
41078618.jpg
2011-jetta---09.jpg
1.jpg
Last edited by Allergic2BunnyEars on October 2nd, 2012, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » October 3rd, 2011, 7:13 pm

Good choice.
They aren't too willing to change specs because they're trying to move the mass volumes they bring. However, if you sound like you won't buy it unless they bring what you want, they'll do it. One of my friends did just that for the new Passat since he wanted the Dynaudio system, they didn't want to bring it, he told them he'll look elsewhere and walked out. He was called later and told they'll bring it. Just you have to wait 5mths if you want different options.

The new look might seem more bland, but it's more for a luxury look than sporty.

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nes123 » October 3rd, 2011, 7:45 pm

@ nemesis, yeah I was aware that Toyota was world leader,followed by GM and guess who's 3rd? that's right VAG group..only behind Toyota by 1.x%....this is only cuz they are not able to take a big chunk out of the US market...it's only cuz of the nasty fuel the US gets which is why they can't get the nice TSI engines we get to make it a popular tuner hit across there,but rather those underpowered MPI motors...if there were indeed able,then obviously we can guess who would have been first :D

karl
3NE 2NR for life

Postby karl » October 3rd, 2011, 10:04 pm

aye neme, post a pic of yuh ride nah dred, show dem boys wha a bess euro looks like...

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 4th, 2011, 8:44 am

some local experiences with JDMs
New Lancer: ABS sensor failed in under 3 years, dealer had it on back-order because TEN more cars were waiting on the same part.........after only 70,000kms, shock mount rubber needs replacing
New Civic: defective windscreen washer motor, door rubbers falling out, front passenger door glass always coming out of track, rear dor handle trim fell out, front a-pillar trim popping out

Whatever issues may pop up with a european car, they are no more than Japanese in my experience......
the big difference is: I'd rather be in a euro than anything else in an accident
European manufacturers put a lot of R&D into safety, while Japanese just spong off european innovation and use their saved R&D money for improving other peoples ideas
My parents' PBO Peugeot 206 has ABS, 4wheel disc brakes, stability control, eain-sensing wipers, light-sensing headlights, active-braking transmission and steering-column mounted radio controls (radio also has RDS).......show me an entry-level japanese car from that era with comparable safety features

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » October 6th, 2011, 2:57 pm

Yeah JDM might appear to be more reliable than euro because of their engines and accessories are more simple. When a JDM 1.6 caburetor engine is compared to Euro 1.4 turbo charged engine, and some idiot carry it to the same mechanic who cannot read or write, when he messes up the euro, ppl say it is unreliable.

Pointman-IA
Shifting into 6th

Postby Pointman-IA » October 7th, 2011, 6:55 pm

Good posting guys...Good arguments. It all has to do with the markets. Some of the euros that come here,like with the Renaults, when you research deeper using the VIN Numbers and the info from the plates, you will realise that they were made for temperate climates.
Most important is that the majority of them have robust bodies.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 8th, 2011, 6:50 am

I really don't care that after 170k we had to rebuild the transmission and rear axle on the 206sw
hands down, one of the best cars we have EVER owned.............I actually put it a notch above the MINI Cooper
NOTHING from Japan comes close
and seriously, 200k+ for a corolla? africkin bread and butter econobox????
trinis really gone clear

nes123
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nes123 » October 8th, 2011, 8:33 am

^^Co-Sign

Pointman-IA
Shifting into 6th

Postby Pointman-IA » October 8th, 2011, 8:40 am

MG Man wrote:some local experiences with JDMs
New Lancer: ABS sensor failed in under 3 years, dealer had it on back-order because TEN more cars were waiting on the same part.........after only 70,000kms, shock mount rubber needs replacing
New Civic: defective windscreen washer motor, door rubbers falling out, front passenger door glass always coming out of track, rear dor handle trim fell out, front a-pillar trim popping out

Whatever issues may pop up with a european car, they are no more than Japanese in my experience......
the big difference is: I'd rather be in a euro than anything else in an accident
European manufacturers put a lot of R&D into safety, while Japanese just spong off european innovation and use their saved R&D money for improving other peoples ideas
My parents' PBO Peugeot 206 has ABS, 4wheel disc brakes, stability control, eain-sensing wipers, light-sensing headlights, active-braking transmission and steering-column mounted radio controls (radio also has RDS).......show me an entry-level japanese car from that era with comparable safety features

Just loving how this functions in my Clio and the wife's Megane. Original deck staying "furrrr surrrrre"..

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » October 8th, 2011, 9:10 pm

MGman I agree about the safety and features for the price no doubt. But people just have very different experiences with some cars I suppose. For instance I know of a certain 307 that needed to have the tranny rebuilt at under 35kkm. And it was bought new from the firm in trini. Was also not covered under warranty and cost quite a bit. Or the B6 A4's for which the firm has sold more than 100 TCM's locally at a rediculous price. Never even hear about those things on JDM cars here. Granted it may be because they all run on lower tech for the models we get. Fact is, it does happen.
Karl, my car ain't the bess Euro. It not bad though. And whether I have 1 or 6 is irrelevant to my points here and people knowing what I drive wouldn't nor should it change their view of my post. Iz just how it is. People have their views.
Anyway, Euros rule, and that is all.

nemesis
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nemesis » October 8th, 2011, 9:38 pm

MGman I agree about the safety and features for the price no doubt. But people just have very different experiences with some cars I suppose. For instance I know of a certain 307 that needed to have the tranny rebuilt at under 35kkm. And it was bought new from the firm in trini. Was also not covered under warranty and cost quite a bit. Or the B6 A4's for which the firm has sold more than 100 TCM's locally at a rediculous price. Never even hear about those things on JDM cars here. Granted it may be because they all run on lower tech for the models we get. Fact is, it does happen.
Karl, my car ain't the bess Euro. It not bad though. And whether I have 1 or 6 is irrelevant to my points here and people knowing what I drive wouldn't nor should it change their view of my post. Iz just how it is. People have their views.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » October 9th, 2011, 7:24 pm

nemesis wrote:MGman I agree about the safety and features for the price no doubt. But people just have very different experiences with some cars I suppose. For instance I know of a certain 307 that needed to have the tranny rebuilt at under 35kkm. And it was bought new from the firm in trini. Was also not covered under warranty and cost quite a bit.
A lot of the 307 issues were software related...N&M did not volunteer this info to customers.....people talk about rebuilding the tranny but nobody can tell me what went wring, so it's just idle speculation...there's lots of 307s out there with no issues
Or the B6 A4's for which the firm has sold more than 100 TCM's locally at a rediculous price. Never even hear about those things on JDM cars here. Granted it may be because they all run on lower tech for the models we get.
I call bollsheit............I know too many people with new japanese cars that have issues, from corollas to accords, but they never complain......but let them by a euro, and they on TV crying.....serious, take that new lancer for example...there clearly is an issue with the ABS sensor, but you never hear a lancer owner complaining about the fact that Diamond does not even have the sensor in stock...everybody driving with a flashing warning light normal nrma
One of my former employers had a few AE111 wagons, all of which developed warped rotors, and juddering that Toyota NEVER resolved.....
I have a friend who bought a string of lemons from toyota, including a new hilux that had the shifter fall out in his hands...and then again after it was repaired

Fact is, it does happen.

At the end of the day you have to properly maintain your Euro, cuz like you said, they are more sophisticated than the overpriced japanese econoboxes trinis so love to praise.....

Advertisement

Return to “EURO”