TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Thoughts on the New Subaru Impreza?

Fuji Heavy Industry tech talk - STi, WRX, Forester etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

TheAutoDIYGuyYT
Street 2NR

Thoughts on the New Subaru Impreza?

Postby TheAutoDIYGuyYT » February 27th, 2021, 4:04 pm

Hey guys, just thought I'd check around locally for reviews on the new Subaru Impreza 1.6L they're selling here from Showroom, as the ones I see online are the 2.0L version.

The features you're getting for the price are quite decent. I'm currently considering either this or a Honda Civic.

How's reliability when compared to Honda or Toyota?
Average cost for servicing?
Upgradability potential?

Let me know your thoughts down below. Many thanks!

agent007
punchin NOS

Re: Thoughts on the New Subaru Impreza?

Postby agent007 » March 1st, 2021, 9:35 pm

The Impreza is truly a different drive experience. It’s nice to try a different flavor in things sometimes. It gives you a perspective other than the typical mundane fwd cars out there that we’ve come to accept. The Corolla and civic is just a copy and paste of the same blue print. But with the Impreza, the AWD system, the flat 4, the handling characteristics and the built-in safety cage to me is hard to beat. You won’t win a drag race but I promise, there are other virtues which makes it worth it and that’s only part of the difference you get.

TheAutoDIYGuyYT
Street 2NR

Postby TheAutoDIYGuyYT » March 1st, 2021, 9:37 pm

agent007 wrote:The Impreza is truly a different drive experience. It’s nice to try a different flavor in things sometimes. It gives you a perspective other than the typical mundane fwd cars out there that we’ve come to accept. The Corolla and civic is just a copy and paste of the same blue print. But with the Impreza, the AWD system, the flat 4, the handling characteristics and the built-in safety cage to me is hard to beat. You won’t win a drag race but I promise, there are other virtues which makes it worth it and that’s only part of the difference you get with the Impreza.

Yuh sounding like a Subaru Salesman there lol! Thanks for the info though...much appreciated. Going to take it for a test drive on Saturday.

What about reliability and parts? I heard it's more expensive than Honda and Toyota, and not as reliable.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » March 1st, 2021, 9:45 pm

I probably know more about what they sell than the sales people themselves. No bragging thing but some of them are sales hustlers. Just gargle some BS just to get a sale. When you get into certain engineering details, you would appreciate the Subaru quite a lot. Now I’m not saying it’s just perfect. Of course not, but as a certified car nut, you won’t catch me in a Corolla or entry model Civic when there’s an Impreza around. Here’s a winner, it won’t get stuck. You’ll be embarrassing a sea of fwd posers called crossover ‘SUVs’ and that’s worth it.

In terms of reliability, of course the Civic and Corolla has the potential to be more reliable. They both use a transverse mounted engine driving 2 wheels. I think the Corolla has a torsion beam rear suspension too. The Impreza uses a boxer engine with 2 banks of cylinders. It’s a quad cam engine powering 2 axles spread on front and rear independent suspensions. You take more oil and require 4 wheel alignment as well as diff maintenance. So yes, if you plan to keep it for 10 years, it would be more expensive to maintain. The head gasket might need changing during that time too and the engine itself will burn a quart of oil as it ages. But that’s all normal. The saving grace is, it’s built in Japan. It uses a torque converter CVT (not some dual clutch madness) and it has a port injected (multipoint) motor (so no worrying about carbon build up on the intake valves due to DI).

With a Subaru, you must change oil on time and use the correct viscosity. Also, it’s 95RON only. Deviate from this and it’s going to be problems. Depends on what you’re looking for. Good luck.

TheAutoDIYGuyYT
Street 2NR

Postby TheAutoDIYGuyYT » March 2nd, 2021, 11:42 am

agent007 wrote:I probably know more about what they sell than the sales people themselves. No bragging thing but some of them are sales hustlers. Just gargle some BS just to get a sale. When you get into certain engineering details, you would appreciate the Subaru quite a lot. Now I’m not saying it’s just perfect. Of course not, but as a certified car nut, you won’t catch me in a Corolla or entry model Civic when there’s an Impreza around. Here’s a winner, it won’t get stuck. You’ll be embarrassing a sea of fwd posers called crossover ‘SUVs’ and that’s worth it.

In terms of reliability, of course the Civic and Corolla has the potential to be more reliable. They both use a transverse mounted engine driving 2 wheels. I think the Corolla has a torsion beam rear suspension too. The Impreza uses a boxer engine with 2 banks of cylinders. It’s a quad cam engine powering 2 axles spread on front and rear independent suspensions. You take more oil and require 4 wheel alignment as well as diff maintenance. So yes, if you plan to keep it for 10 years, it would be more expensive to maintain. The head gasket might need changing during that time too and the engine itself will burn a quart of oil as it ages. But that’s all normal. The saving grace is, it’s built in Japan. It uses a torque converter CVT (not some dual clutch madness) and it has a port injected (multipoint) motor (so no worrying about carbon build up on the intake valves due to DI).

With a Subaru, you must change oil on time and use the correct viscosity. Also, it’s 95RON only. Deviate from this and it’s going to be problems. Depends on what you’re looking for. Good luck.

Thank you very much for the info @agent007 much appreciated! Since my original post, another vehicle has entered the ring; the 2020 Honda Civic Turbo 1.5l. I have a source who can bring it in brand new for me, for a little more than what the Subie going for. Just curious as to your thoughts about this match up. I'm thinking parts availability for this model civic would be much more widespread, since this model is available worldwide (unlike the 1.6l counterparts).

Your thoughts (and anyone else for that matter) would be much appreciated!

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » March 2nd, 2021, 12:13 pm

Civic 1.5T is really nice. Saw one obliterate the smile off the face of an A4 1.8T driver. I think Honda earthdreams ivtec 1.5t is underrated. It may be spitting out more hp and torque than Honda claims on the spec sheet. Being 1.5t, you can get a lot of parts from Honda Miami easily so yes that’s a big plus there too. You should research the oil dilution issue and see if it applies to the unit you’re interested in. As small turbo engines with DI, you would have to put 95RON premium in there without question. Ignore what the supposed dealer and pseudo experts are probably saying. There is a guy right in this forum who took time to clear up this misconception. The build up of carbon in DI engines is real so prepare for that as the engine ages. A proper head decarbonization should restore power and compression when the time comes, but as of now, I like that potential purchasing idea. Go for it!

TheAutoDIYGuyYT
Street 2NR

Postby TheAutoDIYGuyYT » March 2nd, 2021, 2:47 pm

agent007 wrote:Civic 1.5T is really nice. Saw one obliterate the smile off the face of an A4 1.8T driver. I think Honda earthdreams ivtec 1.5t is underrated. It may be spitting out more hp and torque than Honda claims on the spec sheet. Being 1.5t, you can get a lot of parts from Honda Miami easily so yes that’s a big plus there too. You should research the oil dilution issue and see if it applies to the unit you’re interested in. As small turbo engines with DI, you would have to put 95RON premium in there without question. Ignore what the supposed dealer and pseudo experts are probably saying. There is a guy right in this forum who took time to clear up this misconception. The build up of carbon in DI engines is real so prepare for that as the engine ages. A proper head decarbonization should restore power and compression when the time comes, but as of now, I like that potential purchasing idea. Go for it!

Yes, I read up on that Oil Dilution problem, and basically people are saying that 2018 and up experience a lot less, however, it's most apparent in Cold Climates, since the engine isn't getting enough time to warm up during short trips, resulting in the unburnt gas not getting a chance to evaporate. Honestly, I think that's just Honda's way of deflecting blame, however, with my limited knowledge on the topic, oil dilution happens with most GDI engines (correct me if I'm wrong).

And yeah, I'll be prepared to put premium fuel, however, Honda in Trinidad says to use Super lol :lol:

I'm guessing I should do a de-carbonization at least once a year...even with Premium fuel?

Advertisement

Return to “SUBARU”