TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

The Tuning Thread- EJ Motor

Fuji Heavy Industry tech talk - STi, WRX, Forester etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

infinite_RPM
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: The Tuning Thread- EJ Motor

Postby infinite_RPM » April 22nd, 2018, 6:16 pm

Yeah 24"

Google innovate scg1 manual..

Was trying to upload a pic of it but it keep saying upload failed

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » April 23rd, 2018, 7:53 am

Manufacturers usually recommend a minimum distance from the turbine housing to minimise heat input to the sensor (in order to increase longevity).

In principle, I don't see any disadvantage from going further than what is recommended by the manufacturer. For instance, tuners usually tune with an o2 sniffer attached at the very end of the tailpipe.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 26th, 2018, 9:10 am

So I had this idea while in plc class.
The snow performance meth kit starts spraying when in boost, uses a pressure sensor. If one can tap into the speed sensor and put a ball valve on the output line from the pump one can activate the pump whenever they want based on speed and not boost and regulate the amount of meth that sprays. Ofc they would have to tune for it. In an instance where one is using super it would spray continuous as opposed to when only in boost and one can regulate the flow to compensate for the power loss one would experience when out of boost.
Sounds like a good idea?

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » April 26th, 2018, 12:55 pm

nervewrecker wrote:So I had this idea while in plc class.
The snow performance meth kit starts spraying when in boost, uses a pressure sensor. If one can tap into the speed sensor and put a ball valve on the output line from the pump one can activate the pump whenever they want based on speed and not boost and regulate the amount of meth that sprays. Ofc they would have to tune for it. In an instance where one is using super it would spray continuous as opposed to when only in boost and one can regulate the flow to compensate for the power loss one would experience when out of boost.
Sounds like a good idea?

The way that 'proper' kits(aquamist for example) do it is via Injector duty cycle, or a combo of idc and boost, not only boost. So you can set it to start spraying at like 20%idc for example and have a liner/non linear spray curve all the way to 100%idc. works a million times better than just a boost derived spraying system. Add a pwm valve so pressure is constant and the injectors are pulsed (like aquamist) and the setup should be perfect. No time wasted building pressure and instant on/off operation without drips.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » April 26th, 2018, 2:55 pm

Have me thinking now, if I wanna change my system.

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » May 2nd, 2018, 12:18 am

It really depends on how much boost you want to run and how often you plan on using it heavily.

I am about to install one in my Legacy but its mainly for peace of mind due to the poor fuel quality here in Trinidad. Im going to run off boost. Should be able to save a few shillings at the pump as well.

TheBoostLord
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby TheBoostLord » May 2nd, 2018, 6:58 am

I dont think the level of boost dictates how methanol should be used but rather the intended use of the car. daily/street car or track? for track a boost trigger system like aem can work well since you only really care about output at high rpm where the car will spend most of its time anyway. For a street car you want high reliability, drivability, tune-ability, repeatability and smoothness. You can build your own kit or modify an off the shelf system if you wish but in the end, there is a benefit to injecting via idc rather than boost pressure.

Take this example: Lets say you have a 700cc meth injector and you want 100% of that flow at high rpm, lets say 6500rpm and you are running 15psi boost. With a boost system you have to put max flow at 15psi to get that result, but your turbo hits 15psi since 3800rpm so you have 700cc of meth spraying from 3800 - 6500 which you now have to try to tune around by removing fuel trims and adjusting timing midrange and you may not get the best results. Even worse is if you boosting 18psi midrange tapering to 15psi high up. You can either set max meth flow to 18psi and have less meth at high rpm where you need it or set it to 15psi and have meth spraying constantly while you try to tune everything else. It can work but its not ideal. Idc based meth follows your fuel injector curve. you can increase or decrease the gain as needed but its spraying exactly the way you want it: in sync with fuel injectors.

That being said i ran a few meth kits on various subarus, including an aem on my very own legacy, even ran super with a sti turbo. it put down 230whp but low end tuning was lazy since it had to be tuned for super and no meth until it started spraying in boost. with idc, you can have meth spraying before boost even begins and can take advantage of the octane boost and run more aggressive timing etc.

Also, when i hit about 300whp i started to get unequal meth delivery issues due to how the legacy intake manifold curves, the meth tends to cling to the walls of the manifold, esp with an upgraded turbo with much higher airflow. So my current setup is an injector in each intake runner.

Sharing my 2¢

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 4th, 2018, 7:54 pm

I see myself modding mine in the near future. Not keen on how this one is set up.

Anyhow, I will be changing my water pump soon. Have to drop the timing belt, is there anything I should be looking for wrt the pulleys / tensioners etc to know if they need changing? Haven't spoken with the former owner yet to find out if it was changed.

My boss is doing his and bought the Aisin kit, I read somewhere that Aisin makes OEM subaru stuff. Will it be wise to source a Subaru kit or buy an Aisin kit if I am buying?

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » May 6th, 2018, 2:58 am

Aisin makes the bearings and pullies, can't say if the standard they use is the same though.

If you down there may and well change everything and done. I did mine recently and the difference between the new and used pulleys were very small. Hard to say if it's good or not. I prefer the peace of mind that it's done. Depending on the age, change the tensioner also.

Lance
punchin NOS

Postby Lance » May 7th, 2018, 5:58 am

When OE manufacturers sell products (replacements) that they also manufacture for the OEM, there are usually minor differences. This is usually down to contractual agreements with the car manufacturers.

For instance, EXEDY does the OEM clutch setup for the WRX, but the KSB03 OE Replacement that EXEDY sells never seems to feel as fluid and smooth as the OEM clutch (owing to small differences in the design).

I'm not sure if this would apply to pulleys and tensioners.

air wick
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby air wick » May 7th, 2018, 1:51 pm

I did timing belt service last week and I opted for OEM pulleys, tensioner, water pump but I used a gates belt. I have all the OEM part numbers for the individual parts if anyone wants them.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 8th, 2018, 8:42 pm

What engine?

I see what you guys saying about aisin and subaru. Anyone knows have a link to the kit online for ej205? Non avcs, dohc, for a sdm wrx..

Ill order it

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » May 9th, 2018, 4:11 am

I bought all my stuff by Mahadeo. Can't say if I overpaid because I needed it asap and he had everything.

Plus I saw what these shipping companies charge for items from the US.

air wick
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby air wick » May 9th, 2018, 8:30 am

nervewrecker wrote:What engine?

I see what you guys saying about aisin and subaru. Anyone knows have a link to the kit online for ej205? Non avcs, dohc, for a sdm wrx..

Ill order it

Subaru doesn't make a kit, you have to order the individual parts. The parts I ordered was for my wife's car EL15 (GH2) which happens to be the same for my EJ255 (SH9).

You can get a Gates kit, but the rollers, tensioner and water pump are inferior.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 10th, 2018, 6:45 pm

Gosh, I swore I saw a kit.

Ordering everything separate might be pita. Im actually thinking of ordering the aisin kit now :(

Does anyone have all the part numbers for the ej205 setup? I will see if I can get all on amazon and have them compile and ship.

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » May 10th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Subaru don't make a kit but I'm sure there are stores online that will sell them as a complete kit.

Have fun changing them.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 10th, 2018, 7:22 pm

I know I wasnt loosing it :lol:

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Subaru-F ... dpSrc=srch

the belt tensioner is wrong part number though (13033AA042 ) according to subaruparts.com, amazon says its the same for 1997 to 2014 impreza, wrx and sti. So I donno who to trust

Timing Belt 13028AA240 one piece
Belt Idler / idler pulley 13073AA142 two pieces
Cogged Idler / idler gear 13085AA080 one piece
Idler Pulley 13073AA230 one piece
Water Pump 21111AA026 (newer model is 21111AA240)
Water Pump Gasket 21114AA051
Water Pump seal 21116AA010

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » May 10th, 2018, 10:14 pm

Subaru parts is for USDM cars no? I use partsouq.com. Enter your chassis number and accurate as eff.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 11th, 2018, 7:29 pm

Isnt the sdm cars (singapore) same as usdm? or did I read wrong?

will try that link you posted later tonite.

air wick
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby air wick » May 12th, 2018, 7:46 am

nervewrecker wrote:Isnt the sdm cars (singapore) same as usdm? or did I read wrong?

will try that link you posted later tonite.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/ ... ming_belt/

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 16th, 2018, 10:25 pm

I used the link janfar posted and pulled the individual numbers for the parts according to my vin. The kit on amazon is actually a complete kit for my car. Some of the numbers are different as they are either updated or older part numbers. They showed up as oem substitute parts when I ran the numbers.
Ordered the older water pump though. Saw better reviews on them and the design. Saw crawford chose that design for thier pump as well.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 19th, 2018, 12:55 pm

Plaw, arrived today Image

air wick
I LUV THIS PLACE

The Tuning Thread- EJ Motor

Postby air wick » May 20th, 2018, 12:05 pm

nervewrecker wrote:Plaw, arrived today Image

Nice! Who’s installing? I suggest that you change the cam & crank oil seals plus the thermostat one time

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 20th, 2018, 1:31 pm

I was actually thinking about the cam and crank seals but afraid to interfere with them since its a diy.

I have a question, scrapped a block for someone not too long ago and I am 100% positive the pin was in the hydraulic tensioner. How is that even possible?

air wick
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby air wick » May 20th, 2018, 2:24 pm

Not sure...

kadijahveronica
Sweet on this forum

Postby kadijahveronica » May 20th, 2018, 2:56 pm

Have an EJ waterpump and throttle body with sensor if anyone is interested

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » May 29th, 2018, 12:31 pm

He forgot the pin in. Easy mistake to make given how tight the belt is before pulling the pin. Could be the reason why the engine was scrapped?

Animal Pak
Sweet on this forum

Postby Animal Pak » June 1st, 2018, 7:27 pm

Anyone tried and tested what whp the forester transmission can take? Looking for turbo and injector upgrade. No sense pelting out money on big items and making small numbers

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » June 1st, 2018, 9:21 pm

I am open to correction but most start to slip when approaching 300hp

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » July 26th, 2018, 7:24 pm

air wick wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:What engine?

Ill order it

Subaru doesn't make a kit, you have to order the individual parts. The parts I ordered was for my wife's car EL15 (GH2) which happens to be the same for my EJ255 (SH9).

You can get a Gates kit, but the rollers, tensioner and water pump are inferior.
Hey can you send what you ordered. Have the el15 and looking to change timing belt etc soon

Advertisement

Return to “SUBARU”