TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

so my tem guage is my new tach? wtf

Mitsu Lancer, Evo, GSR, MIVEC, 4G**, GDI, Galant, Outlander, L200 Sportero/Triton etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

illumin@ti
Trinituner Peong

so my tem guage is my new tach? wtf

Postby illumin@ti » April 12th, 2009, 5:37 am

going about my business yesterday when i noticed my temp guage climb over the usual midpoint... then up to 3/4, then up to red...

i pull over to a tuner's house in the area and hose spray the radiator to cool it , then when cool enough, top up with fresh coolant. drive for 15 mins.... same thing happens again. i pull over on the highway and open up with the engine running,, water return line into the engine is cool,, exit line into the radiator is hot as expected. visibly it seems that im not overheating, but my temp guage reads at redline. I disconnect the thermostat to check if its functional, - temp guage turns off, so i put it back on,, back in operation.

im thinking i have a faulty thermostat. the fans are not coming off at all, and since they are controlled by the thermostat operation, im thinking faulty thermo,,

On an easter sunday,, who ah could get a thermostat from?? :lol: or who near arima could check it out and give me a correct diagnosis.??

Mishi, Venum, anyoneelsethatmayknowwtfisgoingonwiththecar :lol: :lol:

MISHI
3NE 2NR Aficionado

Postby MISHI » April 12th, 2009, 9:14 am

Boy unless you have a partner with a spare one, you might be gounded for a couple days...

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » April 12th, 2009, 11:43 am

Try calling Roach's Auto Supplies in Tunapuna.

anthonyanthony
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby anthonyanthony » April 12th, 2009, 2:53 pm

As the temp gauge reach the red mark , was the engine pinging or loseing power?
Were you getting a burning smell ?
If so then engine is over heating .

You said top up with coolant, does this mean that coolant leaked out from somewhare, hence low coolant resulting in engine over heating ?

You said problem returned with gauge so are you sure engine is overheating?

You said you "disconnected thermostat... temp gauge turns off "... you sure is not the wire that feeding the temp gauge you disconnected?
Are you sure is not the temp gauge faulty giving incoreect readings?

If engine is overheating and you need to be mobile can you not run vehicle without
thermostat until you get a replacement?

If you think thermostat is faulty why not run it without one for a while and see what happens. If temp goes back to normal then run it so but get a replacement unit as soon as possible since fuel efficiency and economy will suffer.

silver racer
3NE 2NR for life

Postby silver racer » April 12th, 2009, 4:00 pm

in the mornin as soon as u go 2 start, doz d guage go straight 2 normal?? ie below half?? if so den it may be ur thermol unit sensor. i read, u say ur fans nt comin on as well?? Daz d exact ting happ 2 me, i got an oem sensor by fiaz cuz diamond din hav, it was $400.

if is nt ur thermostat, den do a diagnostic 2 detetmin if is d sensor, but as anthonyanthony said, u cud still double check d gauge.

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » April 12th, 2009, 5:44 pm

dude, sorry to come so late with my $0.02

but if the needle reading hot and the fans not coming on, then u seem top have diagnosed teh problem correctly - thermostat

question - is the cooling system loosing water :?:

if the temp reading normal and the fans on all teh time, then your fan control unit is gone

tray a DIY flush and top up with new coolant and a temp fix

illumin@ti
Trinituner Peong

Postby illumin@ti » April 12th, 2009, 6:23 pm

**update ,, i flushed the system ..

anthonyanthony, ,silver racer, no leaks in the cooling system. I have arrived to the conclusion that the thermostat is stuck in the closed position. the sender unit on the thermostat housing is functional however, but the thermostat itself is stuck in bypass to recirculate hot water in the engine..

reasons for this is that the lower hose is abnormally cold and not pressurized and i can feel no flow of water goin back to the engine, i can however trick the system into cooling itself by turning on the heater as i said before to get both fans up front spinning and dump hot air into the passenger cabin.. So i need a thermostat... who have fuh what price :lol: :lol:

venum
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby venum » April 12th, 2009, 9:25 pm

buy OEM, preferably for your cooling system

Federal

Faiz, ramai's mathura for replacement

2nil
3NE 2NR for life

Postby 2nil » April 13th, 2009, 11:09 am

humm i might just have one,if is d radiator thermostat.came out from ah 4g93 gs engine.if is ah 4g92 u have it suppose to work back exact. :wink:

u sure is not a faulty sensor by chance?

anthonyanthony
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby anthonyanthony » April 13th, 2009, 1:41 pm

illumin@ti, just run vehicle with out thermostat and if problem disappears then you know you must get a replacement.

janfar
punchin NOS

Postby janfar » April 13th, 2009, 4:19 pm

If the lower line on from the rad to the thermo is cold then your thermo is defi stuck in the closed position. You can remove the thermo and run the car without it for a short while but the car will run cooler than usual. ...

illumin@ti
Trinituner Peong

Postby illumin@ti » April 13th, 2009, 4:49 pm

yeah folks ,,, i took the sucker out ,,,i could live with running cooler and having a smoke while i warm up in the morning...

after reading,, and reading,,, and reading ..and reading,,,

i have come to the conclusion that the primary purpose of that thermo is only really as a bypass valve for the cooling system to warm the engine at startup... or should i say bring it to optimum operating temperature faster so as to yield best performance from the get go....

i'll go hunt down an oem one,,, in the mean time ,, as i said ,, i'll run without it

madman2961
3NE 2NR for life

Postby madman2961 » April 14th, 2009, 8:26 am

i am running without it as most of the time we do not need it in trinidad as it was designed for country with winter.
to me this is one of the biggest reasons why foreign used cars overheat and burn out!! My $0.02

illumin@ti
Trinituner Peong

Postby illumin@ti » April 14th, 2009, 10:56 am

well this is what i watchin,,, the blasted thing is like almost 2 inches in diameter,,, and when opened, the water is forced to pass thru an aperture thats about 1 inch in diameter.... when under load, why do i want to have something as restrictive as this in a cooling system???..

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » April 14th, 2009, 11:23 am

illumin@ti,
best explanation out there. thanks to X2.
from http://forums.trinituner.com/forums/vie ... p?t=151930
your choice.

X2 wrote:The thermostat forces coolant to stay in the engine until it reaches a certain temperature (by absorbing heat from the block/head)... then it goes to the radiator to cool off and back into the block and keeps that cycle going.... which keeps the engine at a nominal temperature.

If there is no thermostat, the coolant never stays static and therefore takes VERY VERY long to absorb the massive amount of heat being generated by the engine. As a result (keep in mind, the engine temp gauge reads the temperature of the COOLANT, not the engine):

1) The engine appears to take forever to warm up. Most people don't understand the cooling system on a car, so they assume the car is taking a long time to warm up when the thermostat is removed. Completely false... in reality, the engine warms up fairly quickly... but gets blazing hot, overheating even... since the coolant can no longer draw the large amounts of heat away from the engine since it's constantly flowing.

2) With the engine so super hot all the time due to no thermostat, when you shut down, the oil in certain areas can tend to cake up...which is never good

3) This excess, essentially uncontrolled heat stored in the head and block give a good working over to the sealing points and gaskets... which will eventually lead to warped parts, damaged gaskets or a blown HG.

illumin@ti
Trinituner Peong

Postby illumin@ti » April 14th, 2009, 11:31 am

illumin@ti wrote:i'll go hunt down an oem one,,, in the mean time ,, as i said ,, i'll run without it

yeah karl... only until i get back the oem

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » April 14th, 2009, 11:35 am

scene.
but wasn't only for you. :D

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » April 14th, 2009, 12:39 pm

you can always gut yours to serve as a restriction so u still build some pressure/heat but it won't be closed on you
this is if u can't locate one

illumin@ti
Trinituner Peong

Postby illumin@ti » April 14th, 2009, 1:57 pm

Dave wrote:you can always gut yours to serve as a restriction so u still build some pressure/heat but it won't be closed on you

was thinking that... will investigate.... tricky working around that mercury filled chamber.. but i think i can stick it in open, or just put back the front plate and ring in...*rummages around for 12 socket and FIPG maker*

W2J
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby W2J » April 14th, 2009, 4:08 pm

illumin@ti wrote:
Dave wrote:you can always gut yours to serve as a restriction so u still build some pressure/heat but it won't be closed on you

was thinking that... will investigate.... tricky working around that mercury filled chamber.. but i think i can stick it in open, or just put back the front plate and ring in...*rummages around for 12 socket and FIPG maker*

drill about 3 holes around the new one with a 1/16 drill bit so the next time it sick you have a fail safe.

Rudman
Shifting into 6th
Location: Finding out all the good tyres in life begins with "R".

Postby Rudman » April 15th, 2009, 6:43 pm

^Hmmmm, good idea Gerrad.

JUS4SHO
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby JUS4SHO » April 15th, 2009, 8:09 pm

i need one for the 4g18 as well i waste so much fuel warming the engine up cause the rpm will raise untill the unit under the isc (that is feed with water by the way) lowers the idle

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » October 28th, 2009, 7:10 pm

I have been noticing my temp gauge taking very long to rise in the morning. And believe me if you try to drive it so, it real sluggish. Idle 10 minutes and it reaches qtr mark or just above. Drive for 5 minutes and it reaches just below halfway mark(lil lower than the regular CK mark eh).
Always thought the thermostat stuck open eh. I just checked-"it eh even dey" :?
Probably removed by previous owner.
Car is a CK4 Mivec. I believe a lot of mitsu engines from around that time carry the same thermostat. Where can i get a new one to purchase?

:lol: I know i late on the thread eh, but hey, somebody actually used the search function :lol:

illumin@ti
Trinituner Peong

Postby illumin@ti » October 29th, 2009, 1:43 am

autorama in el secorro - 65 bux ,,,,, trust me ,, get it ..

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » October 29th, 2009, 2:37 am

^^Thanks illumin@ti. I'll go in the morning!

Cardo-MR
Sweet on this forum

Postby Cardo-MR » April 30th, 2010, 2:01 am

BUMP

idlemind
punchin NOS

Postby idlemind » April 30th, 2010, 10:21 am

Funny you should bump this.

Ive been noticing that when the AC on and Im in traffic the temp is going up.
When I take off the unit the temp goes back down.

So I sprayed out the evaporator with a pressure washer.
Had to straighten back some of the fins coz I initially used the wrong tip.

But since then Im not getting the temp rising issue again.
Crosses fingers that that was the issue

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » April 30th, 2010, 1:27 pm

^^Hmm. Interesting. Cross yuh toes to yes. Fins may have had debris in it?

^^Thanks illumin@ti. I'll go in the morning!

Forgot to update but I got the thermostat as I said at Autorama. Installed and temperature rises to normal operating condition in a fraction of the time. :)

BUMP

turbo_beast369
Riding on 18's

Postby turbo_beast369 » April 30th, 2010, 3:16 pm

^^was that an OEM thermostat?

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » April 30th, 2010, 3:20 pm

^^No.

Advertisement

Return to “MITSUBISHI”