TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

2013 Rav4 thread.

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Scoop
Trinituner Peong

Re: 2013 Rav4 thread.

Postby Scoop » June 2nd, 2021, 10:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
I'll certainly get a thorough check done.
On the topic of tyres. I currently have kumho solus installed with approx 75% life. I've experimented with pressures from 28 to 32 psi to assess any change in ride quality.
What brand and pressure do you run?
carluva wrote:I have never encountered any of these issues.

Perhaps a thorough inspection of the suspension is in order to ensure coils and absorbers are in good order. Bushings and mounts could also be a culprit. Tyres nearing their end of life can be a huge contributor to ride quality.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 2nd, 2021, 10:56 pm

Goodyear Wrangler SUV.

32 psi.

Fwiw, kumho is generally a very hard tyre hence the high treadwear ratings when compared to other brands. I won't be surprised if the tyre hardness is what's contributing to the ride quality. Harder tyres tend to offer less cushioning hence you feel the road a lot more especially on bumpy roads but offer a longer life. Softer tyres provide better ride quality but wear faster.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » June 2nd, 2021, 11:09 pm

He is a seller here on trinituner
+1 868-636-4865
livershd wrote:is that a website or store or person?
*KRONIK* wrote:Check toyolink
livershd wrote:hey guys where can I get original stabilizer linkages and tie rod ends for my 2014 rav4?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » June 2nd, 2021, 11:12 pm

Very true

Moving from a good brand tire to a cheap/chinese one shows this exact pattern in ride quality change

When i had my older model rav4
2010 model
I bought it with them weird branded tires
When i switched back to the OEM sized bridgestone, the ride quality got so much better.
carluva wrote:Goodyear Wrangler SUV.

32 psi.

Fwiw, kumho is generally a very hard tyre hence the high treadwear ratings when compared to other brands. I won't be surprised if the tyre hardness is what's contributing to the ride quality. Harder tyres tend to offer less cushioning hence you feel the road a lot more especially on bumpy roads but offer a longer life. Softer tyres provide better ride quality but wear faster.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » June 4th, 2021, 4:12 am

I was unaware that Treadwear is an indicator of tyre ride quality. Treadwear cannot be used to compare tyres from different makes

If you want to have an idea of how hard a tyre is going to ride, press your thumb into the sidewall of an unmounted tyre. The more resistance the harder the ride.
Performance tyres, run flat tires, lower profile tyres, higher load capacity tyres tend to have stiffer sidewalls which usually means lower ride quality.

I would like to think age hardened tyres affect ride quality negatively but I don't let ride comfort affect my decisions much

If you want to look for indicators on the sidewall of the tyre.
Lower load index/lower load capacity = generally better ride quality
P-metric has a slightly lower load capacity than its metric equivalent which means it rides slightly better (that P in "P225/65r17")
Look at the number of plies in the sidewall, less generally means more comfortable; this is directly related to load capacity. Avoid LT if you want comfort.

Taller tyres (more rubber between the rim and the road) generally equates to more comfort.

Less unsprung weight lighter or smaller rim generally gives more comfort.

Lower air pressures (within reason) can make the ride slightly more comfortable

32 psi.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 4th, 2021, 8:59 am

Well you are correct. Treadwear is actually a measure of wear resistance of the tyre. However a high treadwear rating usually means a hard tyre. Hard tyre means less cushioning and hence a harder ride. That's why kumho tyres are generally regarded as harder tyres than many others and further associated with "rougher" ride. On the flip side, tyres such as Toyo generally are associated with smoother rides but wear very fast.

Low profile tyres also offer less rubber between the road and rim. Same for ride quality.

While a taller tyre offers more rubber, again, treadwear is important a tall tyre with high treadwear will ride harder that a tall tyre with lower treadwear. That is why the same size tyre from different manufacturers but with different treadwear ratings will feel different.

Personally, I always tend to choose tyres whose treadwear iis < 400, ideally around 340-360.But that's for car or SUV. The tyres on our RAV4 are 340.

For 4x4 equipped vehicles or "large SUV", a good AT tyre will usually be >400 treadwear. The tyres on our Fortuner, while not AT are 440. However these are highway tyres (i.e. 80% road, 20% off road), so the ride quality is very good compared to the AT tyres.

However, for the Fortuner, the stock suspension is excellent so even with these harder tyres the road is not felt as much as when I had AT tyres on it. Road noise is also reduced.

kamakazi wrote:I was unaware that Treadwear is an indicator of tyre ride quality. Treadwear cannot be used to compare tyres from different makes

If you want to have an lpidea of how hard a tyre is going to ride, press your thumb into the sidewall of an unmounted tyre. The more resistance the harder the ride.
Performance tyres, run flat tires, lower profile tyres, higher load capacity tyres tend to have stiffer sidewalls which usually means lower ride quality.

I would like to think age hardened tyres affect ride quality negatively but I don't let ride comfort affect my decisions much

P-metric has a slightly lower load capacity than its metric equivalent which means it rides slightly better (that P in "P225/65r17")
Look at the number of plies in the sidewall, less generally means more comfortable; this is directly related to load capacity. Avoid LT if you want comfort.

Taller tyres (more rubber between the rim and the road) generally equates to more comfort.

32 psi.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » June 6th, 2021, 6:56 am

Guys so from my research on the 2013 rav4, it carries a 3ZR-FE engine according to my manual. However looking at this on the internet the 3ZR-FE oil filter is located vertical and carries an oil drain plug with uses the YZZA1 filter with a plastic drain, however my 2013 rav4 oil filter is horizontal with out an oil drain on the filter and uses the YZZA6 which points to it being a 2ZR-FE just like the corolla engine, whats up with that?

Scoop
Trinituner Peong

Postby Scoop » June 9th, 2021, 9:57 pm

Now I'm inclined to believe that the tyres may be the culprit.
The treadware rating on my tyres is a whopping 700.
carluva wrote:Well you are correct. Treadwear is actually a measure of wear resistance of the tyre. However a high treadwear rating usually means a hard tyre. Hard tyre means less cushioning and hence a harder ride. That's why kumho tyres are generally regarded as harder tyres than many others and further associated with "rougher" ride. On the flip side, tyres such as Toyo generally are associated with smoother rides but wear very fast.

Low profile tyres also offer less rubber between the road and rim. Same for ride quality.

While a taller tyre offers more rubber, again, treadwear is important a tall tyre with high treadwear will ride harder that a tall tyre with lower treadwear. That is why the same size tyre from different manufacturers but with different treadwear ratings will feel different.

Personally, I always tend to choose tyres whose treadwear iis < 400, ideally around 340-360.But that's for car or SUV. The tyres on our RAV4 are 340.

For 4x4 equipped vehicles or "large SUV", a good AT tyre will usually be >400 treadwear. The tyres on our Fortuner, while not AT are 440. However these are highway tyres (i.e. 80% road, 20% off road), so the ride quality is very good compared to the AT tyres.

However, for the Fortuner, the stock suspension is excellent so even with these harder tyres the road is not felt as much as when I had AT tyres on it. Road noise is also reduced.

kamakazi wrote:I was unaware that Treadwear is an indicator of tyre ride quality. Treadwear cannot be used to compare tyres from different makes

If you want to have an lpidea of how hard a tyre is going to ride, press your thumb into the sidewall of an unmounted tyre. The more resistance the harder the ride.

32 psi.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 10th, 2021, 8:08 am

700!!!! That will absolutely affect ride quality.

Why is such a hard tyre on the vehicle?

You may want to look into replacing the tyres if you have the means.
Scoop wrote:Now I'm inclined to believe that the tyres may be the culprit.
The treadware rating on my tyres is a whopping 700.
carluva wrote:Well you are correct. Treadwear is actually a measure of wear resistance of the tyre. However a high treadwear rating usually means a hard tyre. Hard tyre means less cushioning and hence a harder ride. That's why kumho tyres are generally regarded as harder tyres than many others and further associated with "rougher" ride. On the flip side, tyres such as Toyo generally are associated with smoother rides but wear very fast.

32 psi.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » June 10th, 2021, 8:33 am

Most suv tyres found locally are over 500. I am even more concerned with such a hard tyre on a vehicle with a higher center of gravity wrt to taking a corner and loosing traction.
I brought in some 440 wear tyres for the wife's car for that same reason and while many year ago manufacturers started pushing the use of certain compounds that both offer comfort and longevity I am still wary of those guys over 500 wear guys.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » June 10th, 2021, 9:14 am

Dave wrote:Most suv tyres found locally are over 500. I am even more concerned with such a hard tyre on a vehicle with a higher center of gravity wrt to taking a corner and loosing traction.
I brought in some 440 wear tyres for the wife's car for that same reason and while many year ago manufacturers started pushing the use of certain compounds that both offer comfort and longevity I am still wary of those guys over 500 wear guys.

I guess I am fortunate with my tyres if this is the case.

Scoop
Trinituner Peong

Postby Scoop » June 10th, 2021, 3:34 pm

I bought the vehicle with those tyres. Will certainty plan to replace them

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » July 11th, 2021, 8:28 pm

Got an original oil fitter for 80tt if anyone needs it. YZZA6.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » August 19th, 2021, 6:51 am

Any one getting some white smoke on morning until its heat up then no more smoke? Wondering if it valve seals or oil quality.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » August 19th, 2021, 7:23 am

Never noticed that before

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 19th, 2021, 9:46 am

That is usually water vapor... One of the byproducts of combustion
SNIPER 3000 wrote:Any one getting some white smoke on morning until its heat up then no more smoke? Wondering if it valve seals or oil quality.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » August 20th, 2021, 3:32 pm

Thanks for the reply.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » September 21st, 2021, 2:16 pm

Guys you all ever get this? Especially the first part on cold start i get a loud clunk like gears going in while on park and a jerk forward. 2013 rav4.

"Some vehicles may move slightly forward or reverse while in Park at start up after a cold soak and may be accompanied by a clunk noise. The movement is due to the residual transmission fluid in the clutch packs that creates a partial apply on start up. The movement is stopped by the parking pawl and/or transmission fluid exhausting completely from the clutch packs.

This slight movement has no adverse effect on the transmission and no repair should be attempted. This condition is normal and can be verified by
comparing with another identically built vehicle under the same cold conditions.

To prevent this condition from occurring, the parking brake should be used according to Owner Manual recommendations anytime the vehicle is parked."

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » September 21st, 2021, 8:54 pm

Never noticed that.

But, would what you've quoted there apply as the RAV4 is a CVT and not your normal geared transmission?

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » October 7th, 2021, 6:59 am

Ok. Thanks for the reply.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » October 13th, 2021, 7:07 am

carluva wrote:Never noticed that.

But, would what you've quoted there apply as the RAV4 is a CVT and not your normal geared transmission?

Hey Carluva. Did you replace your transmission oil as yet? If so how much oil and wad it a drain from the pan and refill or complete replacement?

nismotrinidappa
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby nismotrinidappa » February 2nd, 2022, 1:02 pm

I have some 16 inch toyota rav4 rims for sale 500

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”