TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Toyota Surfs,Hilux and 4X4s.

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Re: Toyota Surfs,Hilux and 4X4s.

Postby SNIPER 3000 » February 2nd, 2021, 6:18 am

carluva wrote:If you interested, go with quality off road shocks one time. ARB old man emu absorbers and springs, Bilstein absorbers and springs or Eibach Springs. TBH, I am not sure on the cost differential between OEM replacement vs Original vs Off road after market, but if you can go with the off road, so so. Ride quality will be improved and you can be set up to tackle some pretty tough terrain.
SNIPER 3000 wrote:
nicholaz53 wrote:Good Day everyone....i am looking for all shocks for the 2007 hilux??? any guidance is greatly appreciated.

I my self going to replace the shocks, ends and joints soon. Just looking for a se of tires at the moment. Just need to decide which brand shocks I going with. What you all recommend oil and gas shocks? thinking about the KYB Excel-G.
Also i have been getting reoccurring issues with the clock spring on the 2008 Hilux 4x2.

Thanks @carluva, however i donot want to spend too much on mods as the vehicle is a 4x2. Looking to keep it original and cost effective.

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » February 2nd, 2021, 7:18 am

Ahhh. Point noted and makes good sense. In that case then, have you priced original Toyota shocks?

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » February 2nd, 2021, 10:02 pm

As mentioned, on the original shock absorber, stamped into the metal you can clearly see TOKICO.

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » March 2nd, 2021, 3:42 pm

Rayden6 wrote:How good is the 1KZ turbo engine
Pros and Cons

A few months late on this one, but as an owner of a 1kz for 7 years I can offer some feedback.

It is an OK engine, honestly nothing special. I think it gets by on reputation largely on the reliability of its big brother straight 6 diesels (1HZ, 1HD-T)

Overall, nothing is wrong with a 1kz but as mentioned in the thread you need to be VERY particular about keeping the cooling system in order, or you can be looking at expensive repairs. Not only that, but some of these 1kz-equipped toyotas like the Prado and Surf came with radiators that really are too small for the job if you plan to do any wheeling, or tackle big mountains etc.

Re the cable vs e-throttle, I have the e-throttle version in a KZN185 surf and I can tell you, it isn't worth the stress and the headache. The cable throttle one is much easier to work on with much fewer sensors and potential things to go wrong. I also find the cable throttled 1kzs to respond to throttle inputs faster, while pretty much getting the same fuel economy.
Also worth noting is the cost of parts fot he 1kz (or any diesel really) compared to the gas equivalent, so for a weekend warrior, the gas will be much easier and cheaper to work on and you can order parts from the US unlike the 1kz.

Overall, I love my Surf and it is massively capable offroad, but that 1KZ leads to some expensive expensive repairs when needed, so keep that in mind.

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » March 12th, 2021, 10:16 am

CD4Accord wrote:
Rayden6 wrote:How good is the 1KZ turbo engine
Pros and Cons

A few months late on this one, but as an owner of a 1kz for 7 years I can offer some feedback.

It is an OK engine, honestly nothing special. I think it gets by on reputation largely on the reliability of its big brother straight 6 diesels (1HZ, 1HD-T)

Overall, nothing is wrong with a 1kz but as mentioned in the thread you need to be VERY particular about keeping the cooling system in order, or you can be looking at expensive repairs. Not only that, but some of these 1kz-equipped toyotas like the Prado and Surf came with radiators that really are too small for the job if you plan to do any wheeling, or tackle big mountains etc.

Re the cable vs e-throttle, I have the e-throttle version in a KZN185 surf and I can tell you, it isn't worth the stress and the headache. The cable throttle one is much easier to work on with much fewer sensors and potential things to go wrong. I also find the cable throttled 1kzs to respond to throttle inputs faster, while pretty much getting the same fuel economy.
Also worth noting is the cost of parts fot he 1kz (or any diesel really) compared to the gas equivalent, so for a weekend warrior, the gas will be much easier and cheaper to work on and you can order parts from the US unlike the 1kz.

Overall, I love my Surf and it is massively capable offroad, but that 1KZ leads to some expensive expensive repairs when needed, so keep that in mind.

I have owned mine for just over a year and to me this Surf is one of the better vehicle I have owned (22 years old). It goes through the rough road with ease. Trying to build some off-road capabilities into it right now. Looking for a LSD carrier or it.

Like any diesel vehicle, the maintenance bill is always high when there are issues. The only down side to the KZN185 is that most of the maintenance parts you have to get it online if Toyota does not have it.

Oh by the way I destroyed the engine not long after I bought it last year, installed a f/used one, so i have most spares available for it.

That is my preferred vehicle of choice when i going any ware.

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » March 16th, 2021, 12:29 am

Aye Jackal. Sorry to hear you managed to kill a 1kz, but i'm interested to hear what happened for it to die just like that.

Did you go back with the e-throttle on the replacement engine or are you using the cable throttle?

The Surf really is massively capable offroad, but still has AWD to be able to use it when paved roads are slippery. That is something i've gotten accustomed to, and won't give it up for a 4x4 without a transfer case.

Some surfs/4runners actually came with a factory rear diff e-locker, so that might be something to look into before adding aftermarket parts.

Re offroad capabilities, next time you have the vehicle on a ramp/lift/alignment stand etc, is it possible for you to take a picture of the underside for me? Specifically, under the transmission pan. Mine never had a shield under there, and I'm trying to fabricate one to protect the pan, because everything else is shielded. If you are missing protection there too, that is something you would want to sort out, or it could lead to an expensive problem offroad.

I'm running the Kumho MT51 tyres these days and they are a nice inbetween all terrain and full mudders. Not very loud on the road etc

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » March 16th, 2021, 6:15 am

The bottom radiator came loose and the water leaked out. Compression started to come out the radiator after. I did not even bother to scrap it to see what happen. Based on the age of the vehicle, went in the Bamboo and picked up one from a F/used Hiace. It is the same engine just need to swap out a few items. Went back with the same E-throttle.

As for the 4X4 AWD, i don't use that anymore. I installed a lunch box locker in the front, so it does be fairly stiff. Looking for a rare LSD. I came across a diff a few months ago that had an E-locker, but the actuator was totally corroded. I will buy it if it is still there and try and source actuator for it. I have a purpose built 4X4 lN167 that have the same setup. Will put the e-locker in that and take out the LSD from that and put it in the Surf.

Currently running 275/70/17 Maxis Raza.

Not planning to do any lift on it but have the capabilities to "galavant" when it want.

Still want to keep it a daily family vehicle.

telfer
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby telfer » March 21st, 2021, 9:07 pm

jackal wrote:The bottom radiator came loose and the water leaked out. Compression started to come out the radiator after. I did not even bother to scrap it to see what happen. Based on the age of the vehicle, went in the Bamboo and picked up one from a F/used Hiace. It is the same engine just need to swap out a few items. Went back with the same E-throttle.

As for the 4X4 AWD, i don't use that anymore. I installed a lunch box locker in the front, so it does be fairly stiff. Looking for a rare LSD. I came across a diff a few months ago that had an E-locker, but the actuator was totally corroded. I will buy it if it is still there and try and source actuator for it. I have a purpose built 4X4 lN167 that have the same setup. Will put the e-locker in that and take out the LSD from that and put it in the Surf.

Currently running 275/70/17 Maxis Raza.

Not planning to do any lift on it but have the capabilities to "galavant" when it want.

Still want to keep it a daily family vehicle.

Do you have manual hubs in the front????

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » March 26th, 2021, 3:01 pm

telfer wrote:[quote="jackal"

Na, have ADD in front but want to do that later down the road. Have to get hubs, axel shafts and bearing hubs to get that install.

This one have the full works.

Tires1.jpg

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » March 27th, 2021, 8:32 am

Ohhhhh
This you?

Been seeing the pic circulating on some groups
jackal wrote:

Na, have ADD in front but want to do that later down the road. Have to get hubs, axel shafts and bearing hubs to get that install.

Tires1.jpg

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » March 28th, 2021, 1:02 am

jackal wrote:

Tires1.jpg

You know, I have the ADD as well and if I am honest I never had any issues at all with it to make me want to swap over to manual locking hubs. One less thing to have to remember to do before I hit a trail haha

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » March 28th, 2021, 12:39 pm

CD4Accord wrote:
jackal wrote:

You know, I have the ADD as well and if I am honest I never had any issues at all with it to make me want to swap over to manual locking hubs. One less thing to have to remember to do before I hit a trail haha

With added internal locking diff ?

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » March 29th, 2021, 12:42 pm

jackal wrote:
CD4Accord wrote:
jackal wrote:

With added internal locking diff ?

Ok fair enough, I don't have a front or rear locker, just the centre diff lock. That makes sense then.

Supposed to be adding the snorkel to my Surf soon, the thing been sitting in the box about a year+ now but I can't find the time to organise it.

Rayden6
Sweet on this forum

Postby Rayden6 » April 9th, 2021, 6:47 pm

A bodyshell has a 1KZ doing 341,000Km is it a good buy?

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » April 11th, 2021, 2:29 pm

Rayden6 wrote:A bodyshell has a 1KZ doing 341,000Km is it a good buy?

if you buying it for the rights and the price is right, it go be good.

At 341K, that is high, it could be close to end of life if it was not taken care of well, the price will have to be right as well.

If you buying for a conversation, and again, the price is right, you have all the parts, then it might not be a bad buy.

Rayden6
Sweet on this forum

Postby Rayden6 » April 12th, 2021, 11:12 pm

It's a unregistered FU shell,to me it's not a good by the engine life is about up better i take without the Engine/Trans.
That's if he'll part it out.

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » April 19th, 2021, 5:21 am

Was looking for a set of hub centric spacers, could not find any down hear, so i picked up a set (1.25") on Amazon.
Check out the before and after pictures.

Spacers.jpg

Spacers Before.jpg

Spacers After.jpg

It made a big difference in how the vehicle looks.

Going to pick up a set for the hilux now.

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » April 22nd, 2021, 4:13 pm

Aye jackal, from that pic i could swear it look like you tief my Surf hahahha,.

That said, I never really looked into spacers (hub-centric or otherwise) because trails in Jamaica have a lot of sharp rocks etc, so I'm not really studying to stick the tyres out any further than they need to be and take on any potential risk of puncture etc. You having any rubbing issues? I'm running 265/75/16 and occasionally will rub offroad at full flex or rebound etc, but not on-road (no lift etc)

PariaMan
punchin NOS

Postby PariaMan » April 22nd, 2021, 6:12 pm

Better you tyres damage than your van!
CD4Accord wrote:Aye jackal, from that pic i could swear it look like you tief my Surf hahahha,.

That said, I never really looked into spacers (hub-centric or otherwise) because trails in Jamaica have a lot of sharp rocks etc, so I'm not really studying to stick the tyres out any further than they need to be and take on any potential risk of puncture etc. You having any rubbing issues? I'm running 265/75/16 and occasionally will rub offroad at full flex or rebound etc, but not on-road (no lift etc)

Don Mohammed
Ricer

Postby Don Mohammed » April 26th, 2021, 7:04 am

PBM Toyota Surf For Sale
viewtopic.php?t=761454

rasitey
Street 2NR

Postby rasitey » May 2nd, 2021, 12:13 pm

Surfers
Any one have the v6 bellhousing
Please thaank u

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » May 4th, 2021, 9:47 am

I could swear the v6 bellhousing is the same as the 1kz automatic bellhousing, at least on the 3rd gen surf (185). Someone else will have to confirm but that is my memory of it

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » May 4th, 2021, 10:06 am

^The bolting not off?

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » May 5th, 2021, 7:06 am

viedcht wrote:^The bolting not off?

if i reading this right, you could pull out your 1KZ and slap on a V-6 and you good to go?

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » May 5th, 2021, 10:06 am

jackal wrote:

Tires1.jpg

Real Best.

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » May 7th, 2021, 10:51 pm

jackal wrote:
viedcht wrote:^The bolting not off?

if i reading this right, you could pull out your 1KZ and slap on a V-6 and you good to go?
I asking that myself. I never try because I also heard the boltup specs different

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » May 8th, 2021, 4:51 pm

Best speak to some mechanics. I can't see the bolt up being the same.

lionofzion
Street 2NR

Postby lionofzion » May 10th, 2021, 4:52 pm

I am looking for some advice on going with bigger tires and rims. I have the 2014 Hilux 4x4 3.0L. Right now I’m running 265/65/17 Toyo Open Country A/T. I don’t off-roading but drive on various surfaces (mix of highway and normal trini bad roads). Will 19 inch tires/rims lift the van significantly? I enjoy the smooth ride right now but want a little lift without installing lift kit.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » May 10th, 2021, 5:25 pm

Ground clearnance of the diffs (lowest unsprung point of under carriage) can only be achieved by using bigger tires.
Right now you are using the stock tire which equates to 30.6" OD x 10.4 wide.
You can upsize maybe by 1" (you work out your tire size as it can vary, but maybe a 265/70/17 or a 275/65/17 may work)

Biggest issue you gonna face is the front wheel well. You may need to trim the shields or heat and press them in if you get touching.
lionofzion wrote:I am looking for some advice on going with bigger tires and rims. I have the 2014 Hilux 4x4 3.0L. Right now I’m running 265/65/17 Toyo Open Country A/T. I don’t off-roading but drive on various surfaces (mix of highway and normal trini bad roads). Will 19 inch tires/rims lift the van significantly? I enjoy the smooth ride right now but want a little lift without installing lift kit.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » May 10th, 2021, 5:26 pm

As regards the 19" wheels
Once the OD of the wheel and tire combo is under around 31"
You will be fine
lionofzion wrote:I am looking for some advice on going with bigger tires and rims. I have the 2014 Hilux 4x4 3.0L. Right now I’m running 265/65/17 Toyo Open Country A/T. I don’t off-roading but drive on various surfaces (mix of highway and normal trini bad roads). Will 19 inch tires/rims lift the van significantly? I enjoy the smooth ride right now but want a little lift without installing lift kit.

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”