TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Toyota Surfs,Hilux and 4X4s.

It's all about 4AGE, NZE, 3SGTE, 1JZ, 2JZ etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

lionofzion
Street 2NR

Re: Toyota Surfs,Hilux and 4X4s.

Postby lionofzion » May 10th, 2021, 5:46 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:As regards the 19" wheels
Once the OD of the wheel and tire combo is under around 31"
You will be fine
lionofzion wrote:I am looking for some advice on going with bigger tires and rims. I have the 2014 Hilux 4x4 3.0L. Right now I’m running 265/65/17 Toyo Open Country A/T. I don’t off-roading but drive on various surfaces (mix of highway and normal trini bad roads). Will 19 inch tires/rims lift the van significantly? I enjoy the smooth ride right now but want a little lift without installing lift kit.

Thank you for the advice

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » May 10th, 2021, 6:08 pm

lionofzion wrote:I am looking for some advice on going with bigger tires and rims. I have the 2014 Hilux 4x4 3.0L. Right now I’m running 265/65/17 Toyo Open Country A/T. I don’t off-roading but drive on various surfaces (mix of highway and normal trini bad roads). Will 19 inch tires/rims lift the van significantly? I enjoy the smooth ride right now but want a little lift without installing lift kit.

265/70R17 is pretty much the maximum size you can get without modifying the fenders... And even this size will touch the fender liner depending on tyre brand and pressures

I have 265/70/r17...it never touched doing short trips. After one 55km journey however, tyre heated up, pressures went up and the tyre started to rub inner fender liner; enough that I can notice it.

In terms of height increase not that much more; you are looking at a maximum increase of half an inch

No the 19 inch wheel and whatever tyre you put on it will not significantly increase height without modifying your fender/fender liner.

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » May 11th, 2021, 10:38 am

Greetings tuners,

So I've had my 2000 KZN185 Hilux Surf (1kz-te) which was imported from Japan many years ago since 2014 and I never had this happen until recently.

https://youtu.be/hkpCUEpMbGc

See the attached YouTube clip of a dashboard alarm going off anytime the vehicle touches 110km/h or above.

I did some major electrical work last year (had a main harness short, had to rewire and fix a bunch of blown fuses etc). Only after doing that did this speed alarm start happening. The electrician who did the work has no idea about it or what he could have done to have re-enabled it.

The vehicle reverse alarm has always worked (the same exact noise), but never the speed alarm. I'd like to keep the reverse beep (which is a nice safety feature off-road) but cut the very very annoying 110kmph speed alarm.

I've seen a LandCruiser 80 thread here about it but no one offered any solution, just some discussion.

I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » May 11th, 2021, 3:46 pm

CD4Accord wrote:Greetings tuners,

So I've had my 2000 KZN185 Hilux Surf (1kz-te) which was imported from Japan many years ago since 2014 and I never had this happen until recently.

See the attached YouTube clip of a dashboard alarm going off anytime the vehicle touches 110km/h or above.

I did some major electrical work last year (had a main harness short, had to rewire and fix a bunch of blown fuses etc). Only after doing that did this speed alarm start happening. The electrician who did the work has no idea about it or what he could have done to have re-enabled it.

The vehicle reverse alarm has always worked (the same exact noise), but never the speed alarm. I'd like to keep the reverse beep (which is a nice safety feature off-road) but cut the very very annoying 110kmph speed alarm.

I've seen a LandCruiser 80 thread here about it but no one offered any solution, just some discussion.

Thanks

That is normal. I have had my surf (KZN 185) for a little over a year and every time I hit 110KM, it does go off. But i only go in that range when on the highway. So, no big issues, don't go there often.

Since you redo the electrical, it now start to work.

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » May 11th, 2021, 10:23 pm

I never reach 110 with my surf. Barely see highway for that matter

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » May 12th, 2021, 4:47 am

Thanks

You have to take off the dash, and remove the little metal box mounted to the back of your speedo unit. Do a search on speed warning bell, the bigger UK surf sites had lots of information on removing them.

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » May 12th, 2021, 11:28 am

SNIPER 3000 wrote:

Thanks

You have to take off the dash, and remove the little metal box mounted to the back of your speedo unit. Do a search on speed warning bell, the bigger UK surf sites had lots of information on removing them.

Thanks for the feedback. That's the thing though, I think it is the same bell/alarm behind the gauge cluster/speedo unit that is used for the reversing beep (which I would like to keep if possible).
The strangest part is how the reversing beep always worked but the speed alarm didn't.

re 110, that is the highway speed limit in Jamaica (where the Surf is) so once you touch the speed limit you are beeping away, and worse yet if you need to pass someone.

I am perplexed haha

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » May 12th, 2021, 5:36 pm

No mystery there. More than likely a ground wire may have been reconnected. The last owner may have disabled it, electrician reconnected it.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » May 12th, 2021, 5:37 pm

You can also connect a separate back but bell.

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » May 14th, 2021, 11:02 am

SNIPER 3000 wrote:No mystery there. More than likely a ground wire may have been reconnected. The last owner may have disabled it, electrician reconnected it.

I figured it was something like this, but the electrician himself has no memory of adjusting anything with the gauge cluster. I really don't know what to say na, because the back of the gauge cluster doesnt really have anything you can do short of disconnecting the alarm entirely.

I been searching all over the net for specific speed bell/alarm info about the 3rd gen surfs but most of it is from 1st and 2nd gen. It seems there was a good resource at some time for the 3rd gens but the site has been dead for a long time sadly.

I have to pull the gauge cluster again at some point to change the right hand cluster light, so whenever I get around to that I want to have some kinda solution to stop the speed alarm (or at least raise it past 120!)

Rex007
Riding on 13's

Postby Rex007 » July 5th, 2021, 7:36 pm

Tunerz, anyone have an old model 4x4 for sale?

grimer
Street 2NR

Postby grimer » July 13th, 2021, 9:22 pm

I have a surf with a 5vz Fe, brought in a timing belt and water pump kit OEM , for it. The owner before already did the replacement so I have it there for sale. If anyone's interested msg me.

Captain Awesome
Sweet on this forum

Postby Captain Awesome » July 15th, 2021, 4:32 pm

Anyone have any info on these vehicles? Specifically parts availability and known issues. Is this a decent price for these? Always loved this model. ImageImage

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » July 19th, 2021, 3:16 pm

The price seems good, the main cost on these vehicles would be if you have major engine problems. You want to check out the engine properly before buying, if not you talking a BIG budget engine rebuild. You want to make sure the coolant is in good condition (actual coolant and not water, no oil in coolant). You want to make sure you don't have compression or blow-by issues as well.

That prado is the non-intercooled version and still appears (from the small pic) to have the original radiator. This isn't always a problem but overheating really can be on these 1kz motors. Heat is their number 1 enemy, so if you go with it make sure the cooling system is in top shape.

Re the vehicle itself, they are generally reliable, especially the cable throttle versions (non e-throttle) ones. I can barely tell from your pic, but it appears to be cable throttle (good)

The only other thing to do is to buy an external transmission cooler and bypass the one that is in the original radiator. Sometimes the pipes crack inside the radiator and you get the famous toyota pink milkshake (coolant and transmission fluid mixing) and this ALWAYS kills the transmission. A separate cooler (and transmission line filter) is cheap and effective insurance, from someone who abuses their 1kz automatic.

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » July 27th, 2021, 5:52 am

CD4Accord wrote:The price seems good, the main cost on these vehicles would be if you have major engine problems. You want to check out the engine properly before buying, if not you talking a BIG budget engine rebuild. You want to make sure the coolant is in good condition (actual coolant and not water, no oil in coolant). You want to make sure you don't have compression or blow-by issues as well.

That prado is the non-intercooled version and still appears (from the small pic) to have the original radiator. This isn't always a problem but overheating really can be on these 1kz motors. Heat is their number 1 enemy, so if you go with it make sure the cooling system is in top shape.

Re the vehicle itself, they are generally reliable, especially the cable throttle versions (non e-throttle) ones. I can barely tell from your pic, but it appears to be cable throttle (good)

The only other thing to do is to buy an external transmission cooler and bypass the one that is in the original radiator. Sometimes the pipes crack inside the radiator and you get the famous toyota pink milkshake (coolant and transmission fluid mixing) and this ALWAYS kills the transmission. A separate cooler (and transmission line filter) is cheap and effective insurance, from someone who abuses their 1kz automatic.

Yea, what he said.

Good vehicles, very good ride and can handle the rough roads. An engine will run you 15k$, with incidentals and labor, cater about 20K$, done that last year, so I know. The only thing I don't like is the size, that's why I went with the surf, it is a little smaller, I enjoy the vehicle very much. Sold my other SUV to buy that. The only thing, it is not a new vehicle, but what I does do with that, and the way I does drive, I will mash up a new vehicle. I cannot go back to driving a car any more, had to sell my car because of my driving habits.

I would recommend using the toyota "oil base" coolant in the cooling system.

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » July 27th, 2021, 6:10 pm

I second using "oil based" coolants. I personally run the Valvoline Zerex Asian (red), which is supposed to be compatible with the Toyota coolant if your pocket kinda light like mine.

Did you end up getting the Prado? If so , how it going?

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » July 27th, 2021, 6:36 pm

CD4Accord wrote:I second using "oil based" coolants. I personally run the Valvoline Zerex Asian (red), which is supposed to be compatible with the Toyota coolant if your pocket kinda light like mine.

Did you end up getting the Prado? If so , how it going?
Correct
The zerex (both pink and blue are O.A.T. formulation, same as the OEM toyota coolant.

rkowlessar
Riding on 13's

Postby rkowlessar » July 29th, 2021, 8:30 am

Looking for Surf ( 3RZ-FE ) gas engine timing chain cover

rkowlessar
Riding on 13's

Postby rkowlessar » July 29th, 2021, 8:39 am

grimer wrote:I have a surf with a 5vz Fe, brought in a timing belt and water pump kit OEM , for it. The owner before already did the replacement so I have it there for sale. If anyone's interested msg me.

Looking for Surf ( 3RZ-FE ) gas engine timing chain cover.

rkowlessar
Riding on 13's

Postby rkowlessar » July 29th, 2021, 8:40 am

Looking for Surf ( 3RZ-FE ) gas engine timing chain cover.
Contact me 733-4452

CD4Accord
Riding on 18's

Postby CD4Accord » July 29th, 2021, 3:54 pm

rkowlessar wrote:Looking for Surf ( 3RZ-FE ) gas engine timing chain cover.
Contact me 733-4452

rockauto.com brudda

hornchile
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby hornchile » September 5th, 2021, 10:22 am

Does anyone have doors/door upholstery and a try liner for this model? (YN85)

Thanks

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » September 5th, 2021, 10:55 am

hornchile wrote:Image

Does anyone have doors/door upholstery and a try liner for this model? (YN85)

Thanks
There is a guy on FB rodney mookram
He has a lot if them scrapping

Check him out

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » September 7th, 2021, 10:03 am

Yep he does have everything for them vehicles.

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » September 7th, 2021, 10:05 am

His number - 357-3303

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » September 20th, 2021, 8:28 am

Saw this on facebook. Taught it to be good information.

Copied the text and deleted the names.

Anyone ever had experienced your surf 1kzte go into safe mode, where power is lost and the injector pump knocking. checked the fault code and getting 14, anyone can assist..

this is the timing control valve
where on the 1kzte is the timing control valve
More or less the location, which is under your injector pump
Injector Pump.jpg
Injector Pump.jpg (16.11 KiB) Viewed 4218 times

ok that is the unit in the back underneath the 4 injector lines, usually have a rubber cap over it
so that should be the problem there

Had similar problem, the speed sensor located on the left side rear of the engine (need to access from under the vehicle) was damaged causing similar problem. Repaired the wiring. OK four years now. Hope this helps

Could be the crank position sensor. On the block below the starter. That would cause the fuel pump to run irregularly

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » September 21st, 2021, 2:30 pm

Good info Jackal.

mad
Sweet on this forum

Postby mad » September 27th, 2021, 3:12 am

Looking to do a swap from a 2L to a 1KZ-T on my hilux
Where can I get the 1KZ-T to buy?
Also will the 1KZ-T bolt up on my gearbox?

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » November 11th, 2021, 6:41 pm

Check prabhu's in the bamboo.

SNIPER 3000
Riding on 17's

Postby SNIPER 3000 » November 11th, 2021, 6:41 pm

mad wrote:Looking to do a swap from a 2L to a 1KZ-T on my hilux
Where can I get the 1KZ-T to buy?
Also will the 1KZ-T bolt up on my gearbox?

Check Prabhu's in the bamboo.

Advertisement

Return to “TOYOTA”