Forums

Steering wheel control options...

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Humes
Shifting into 6th

Steering wheel control options...

Postby Humes » May 4th, 2022, 4:41 pm

Folks, what are some steering wheel control options for a vehicle without built-in controls?

It's for an older Corolla.

So far I've been recommended a Metra ASWC Stalk. It's like an additional windscreen wiper controller, but only with audio controls.

But I'm also interested in something more like one of these that clips or latches more discreetly on to the steering wheel.

Anyone have any experience with either type and willing to share?

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: Steering wheel control options...

Postby skylinechild » May 4th, 2022, 8:21 pm

Humes wrote:Folks, what are some steering wheel control options for a vehicle without built-in controls?

It's for an older Corolla.

So far I've been recommended a Metra ASWC Stalk. It's like an additional windscreen wiper controller, but only with audio controls.

But I'm also interested in something more like one of these that clips or latches more discreetly on to the steering wheel.

Anyone have any experience with either type and willing to share?

what kind of car do you have ??

reason why im asking is just cause some of the cars we have here doesnt have the steering wheel controls on it ....

that doesnt mean there isnt other places that have the same car but their version has it :!:

Humes
Shifting into 6th

Postby Humes » May 5th, 2022, 7:14 am

2013 Corolla. I called Toyota thinking I could just buy the controls, but they said basically that neither the wheel nor the stereo can accommodate that.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » May 5th, 2022, 11:48 am

Humes wrote:2013 Corolla. I called Toyota thinking I could just buy the controls, but they said basically that neither the wheel nor the stereo can accommodate that.

there are other places than toyota trinidad to get stuff from .. remember as a dealer they would only support the cars locally - ie what they bring to this country / region .

so how it is - you already know dealership cars get the short end of the stick when it comes to features an such.
they only now start playing catch up .

sometimes the foreign used models have what you need. you may need a replacement steering wheel OR in some cases the part thats missing for your wheel.

for example .this is the stock k12 march steering wheel

and this is the same wheel ..with the steering wheel controls on it ........

in the case of the march what would be required to get this mod to work would be the steering wheel and the spiral cable ( clock spring ) the complete radio and harness coming from the steering wheel going to the different modules then to the stereo.

in your car you may have to look around but i am sure there are other versions of the car out there with steering wheel controls .... the issue is to actually get it .....
installation is minor as once you get it complete is just to see what has to swap out ...and then change your head unit to whatever you want ....and get an aftermarket module to allow communication of the stereo with the factory wheel.

and the K12 march is a 2008 car and they have steering wheel controls... just not for our local foreign used import

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » May 5th, 2022, 2:36 pm

Pionner has these a while now CD-SR100 but didn't make too much breakthrough as I believe they were IR transmitters.

Your best option would be what was stated previously (new steering, Rooster spring and if possible the harness). Keep in mind you need to replace the HU as well to an aftermarket or a compatible Toyota unit. Not to mention its a bit of a costly upgrade. Did this on a Subaru Impreza once.

Humes
Shifting into 6th

Postby Humes » May 5th, 2022, 7:38 pm

skylinechild wrote:there are other places than toyota trinidad to get stuff from .. remember as a dealer they would only support the cars locally - ie what they bring to this country / region .

Thanks, man. The Toyota rep I spoke to actually went into most of what you said, including buying a steering wheel from the Bamboo instead of Toyota. It looks like they only started bringing in the steering wheel control model a year or so after my model.

I concluded that it's less costly (and risky to the car) to just keep the current steering wheel and get a new head unit. But I still looking at options, thus this thread.

The steering wheel looks like it could accommodate these:

It has segments detachable-looking segments shaped exactly like that.

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby skylinechild » May 6th, 2022, 8:31 pm

Humes wrote:
skylinechild wrote:there are other places than toyota trinidad to get stuff from .. remember as a dealer they would only support the cars locally - ie what they bring to this country / region .

Thanks, man. The Toyota rep I spoke to actually went into most of what you said, including buying a steering wheel from the Bamboo instead of Toyota. It looks like they only started bringing in the steering wheel control model a year or so after my model.

I concluded that it's less costly (and risky to the car) to just keep the current steering wheel and get a new head unit. But I still looking at options, thus this thread.

The steering wheel looks like it could accommodate these:

It has segments detachable-looking segments shaped exactly like that.

you said you have a 2013 corolla ....

dumb question ....i know its dumb but i will still ask ....

was your model shipped to the USA ??

in other words is there a USDM variant ...??

with the same body using the same engine or different engine - ?

does that car have the steering wheel similar to yours ?
does that car have steering wheel controls ??

if so ...ebay may be your answer to what youre looking for

also theres other regions that toyota exports cars to - europe / UK . New zealand/ Australia ....

so time to do some internet searching ....

you may be able to yet find that oem toyota solution you want .

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » May 7th, 2022, 7:10 am

Also an option if you can afford it and have the space.Helix dsp.No need for head unit
232879-0000fad68a4f02c48f4a8f2091de7f16.jpg
232879-0000fad68a4f02c48f4a8f2091de7f16.jpg (7.33 KiB) Viewed 1723 times

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » May 7th, 2022, 11:49 am

do like me i always have 1 hand on my deck remote & other hand on steering wheel ...

Humes
Shifting into 6th

Postby Humes » May 8th, 2022, 4:44 pm

Rovin wrote:do like me i always have 1 hand on my deck remote & other hand on steering wheel ...

Another viable option.

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”