TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Rockford Fosgate P300-12 active subwoofer / ATOTO S8 deck, nothing below 50 Hz?

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Rockford Fosgate P300-12 active subwoofer / ATOTO S8 deck, nothing below 50 Hz?

Postby Brian Steele » March 16th, 2022, 10:02 pm

Anyone have any experience with the above-mentioned subwoofer or deck?

My brother has one installed in his car, and I helped him to tune the system a day or so ago (ATOTO S8 Standard head unit, Blaupunkt 4-channel amp, Alpine separates front and rear and a RF P300-12 active subwoofer). It was a quick tune (using my laptop, REW and a calibrated USB mic), but I was able to get the system sounding a whole lot better primarily by dealing with the big hump at higher frequencies by adjusting the deck's 16-channel EQs (one for the front and another for the rear) accordingly.

Tuning the bass was a bit more of a challenge however. The measured response suggested that the bass fell off quite noticeably below 50 Hz. I'm curious as to if that's due to the subwoofer or the deck. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to just run pink noise directly through the subwoofer. The deck itself seems to have no EQ settings for the subwoofer either, which is a bit strange considering the separate 16-band EQs for the front and rear speakers. For most music the system as it is sounds fine, but if you're familiar with systems that can do below 50 Hz without issue, you'd definitely notice the difference.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: Rockford Fosgate P300-12 active subwoofer / ATOTO S8 deck, nothing below 50 Hz?

Postby nervewrecker » March 16th, 2022, 11:22 pm

https://www.amazon.com/ATOTO-Navigation ... 0cnVl&th=1

Where to begin... There's a lot to say about this thing, mostly good.

It came packaged very well, with all the accessories neatly bagged up and kept separate from the stereo and screen.
It looks phenomenal and sounds amazing (once you get it set up correctly.)
Wifi, bluetooth, and gps work perfectly, and you can't even tell I have the external antennas on the windshield unless I point them out.
I was worried about the low power rca outputs when I bought it, but the highs actually play MUCH louder than on the pioneer I pulled out. Unfortunately, the sub output is really weak. I had to max the sub volume (+10) to get it to blend in well, whereas on my pioneer I ran out at -9 to match the highs. I may install a line driver down the road just in case I want to thump hard like I could on my old one on occasion.
I absolutely LOVE being able to customize it the way I want since it's essentially a tablet in my dash. Music and gps speedo widgets, live wallpapers, and tons of other stuff available as well.

The bad:

Parts of it are a bit strange and/or difficult to figure out. For the sub crossover, you can reverse the sliders, which makes your sub output nearly zero. Mine came like that, and I only figured it out when I accidentally slid the low end slider past the high one. Also, having a checkbox for the option to have the eq tune both front and rear speakers at the same time would be GREAT. Having to tune the front and rear separately, while a nice feature for some people, sucks when you want them the same and have to do it by hand.

On my stereo, the FR and LR rca jacks are reversed internally. I figured this out after tearing my whole dash back apart and taking the stereo back out to make sure I didn't hook the cables up wrong somehow even though I knew I had them correct.

The bottom 1/4" or so of the screen doesn't respond to touch very well at all, which makes pushing a button down there extremely frustrating. Combine that with a lip where the bezel sticks out further than the screen and you'll want to put your fist through it some days.

Overall, despite its problems, I do love this stereo. It looks and sounds awesome after some trials and tribulations, and in the end that's what really counts.

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Rockford Fosgate P300-12 active subwoofer / ATOTO S8 deck, nothing below 50 Hz?

Postby Brian Steele » March 17th, 2022, 12:16 am

Yeah, the subwoofer controls are a bit strange. I eventually figured them out, setting the HP slider as low as possible and the LP slider above 200 Hz, and then used the LP filter on the sub amp. I set the sub gain on the deck somewhere between 5 and 8.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 17th, 2022, 11:26 am

when somebody ask

"wa deck u have dey boi ?"

"ah toto"

.... :lol:

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » March 19th, 2022, 7:14 am

He blessed the rains down on Africa

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 19th, 2022, 11:43 am

good 1 .... :)

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”