Ricer

Amplifier question

Postby Premier Marketing » January 12th, 2022, 10:12 pm

Equipment
Pioneer p99rs
Rockford t600-4 power series 4 channel
Mb quart premium pvf 216 6.5inch comps
JL audio w1v3 8 inch

So I have gathered these equipment over the past years to install in my r32 that has been a project since 2019. Now that the vehicle is almost done I would like to install these equipment and have being a audiophile fanatik since 2010 and always wanting something simple yet sounding great.

Now as of recently I heard alot of people saying that using one amplifier to power a full system will have drawbacks due to the amplifier board having one power supply and I will have reduced midbass and maybe sub bass. Can anyone shine some light here? Thanks

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: Amplifier question

Postby nervewrecker » January 12th, 2022, 11:58 pm

If your amplifier is rated for x output from y current draw across z frequency it will do such. Does not matter if it has one or ten power supplies.

Some amps are two amplifiers with two power supplies in one chassis for better channel separation, some swear by such but for average joe like you and I, we cant hear the difference.

Another advantage of having dual power supplies is less work on each and better heat dissipation. Its like banking batteries for reserve capacity or banking transformers for power transmission. You have an inline 6 vs a 4 banger in the 32, its less work each piston has to do for pony production and more heat dissipation as power production is spread across the pistons.

You wont let a man with a hamster on a wheel under the hood tell you about engine and hsprs so dont have men with amps that should be paper weights tell you about your watts.

I had experiences with amplifiers that just lacked the punch for midbass vs others that have your midbass trying to open your door. You get what you pay for.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 13th, 2022, 7:36 am

Also, set your gains correctly.That is half of the problems with overheating with people down here.Use the voltmeter method.I have been using 5 and 6 channel amps for more than a decade now and have never had overheating problems.As with anything else, trinis like to overdo , and you will find yourself with gain levels higher than they should be, causing issues such as overheating amps, damaged speakers, damaged wires.If you need guidance, give me a holler

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » January 13th, 2022, 9:52 am

Only if the power supply section is underbuilt for the amplifier, then the power output on channels may be decreased when load increases on other channels (e.g. a sub channel on a 5 channel amp).All that occurs, is the the available rail voltages for the output to "swing" decreases and hence decreases the available power.
Usually that phenomenon only occurs on cheaply built amplifiers where the power supply section is too weak for the load the amp section is designed for. A good amplifier power supply will be designed to supply full load with minimal voltage sag. More expensive amplifiers have regulated power supplies.

It is the reason as well that gains on an amp should not be set "up to voltage clipping on the output" with no load on the output. Putting a resistive dummy load on an amplifier and setting the gains will be nice. If you look at a lot of BigDWiz, you would notice he always loads the amplifier channels he is not testing so that you get a more realistic power measurement similar to when the amp is being used.

If you are worried, that RF will be fine. :) No worries there.

Imo the 99rs may be underused in this system. The 31 band L/R eq may be the most useful alone.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 13th, 2022, 12:12 pm

once u run speakers that is rated around same rms, same ohm loads, gains & settings properly set then u have no worries especially with a rock solid brand like RF ...

Premier Marketing
Ricer

Postby Premier Marketing » January 13th, 2022, 6:39 pm

Apart from the rf I also have a jl audio 300/2 and a 500/1 in the slash series that has never been used. Would you all recommend this option as well? Thanks to everyone for all the info Rovin, timelapse, kavaninho and nervewrecker. I took abit of time to understand the db to distance with what power and voltage I have available from the rockford and the whole time alignment method. Still taking some time to do more reading about phasing so I hope to not have my midbass and sub bass playing unbalanced.

Will throw up some pics when I get started on the install but will do as much research I as I can.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 13th, 2022, 8:20 pm

I'd use the rf 4 channel, jL mono and ditch the passives.

One piece of mb quart per channel on the rf and the Jl for the mono..

Use the crossover and level controls on the deck to control bandwidth and output levels. That way you can balance off everything nice.

Most tweeters sound harsh to me unless they very attenuated hence me opting for active opposed to passive. And I don't mean the driver itself, I mean the level men set it to and systems that score high on sq competitions. Could be my ear sensitive to high frequencies.

It's severe underuse of the deck though. It's designed for 3 way and you have 2 way. Is no big issue though. Have it, use it. It can do the job just as fine.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 13th, 2022, 8:22 pm

^What he said

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » January 13th, 2022, 8:58 pm

I agree with nerve, that way you utilize more of the deck processing power and you'll achieve a much better result.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 13th, 2022, 9:55 pm

This is a run through on the 80prs menu, you can see me playing around with the slopes, levels showing I have different output set for left, right, high mid and low. Later on I flipped the phase of the left mid.

The 80prs seems to be bright in the 3-8khz region, I had set this by ear until I saw the guys saying so on DIYMA.

disclaimer: do not cross like I did my mid and high, those are morel elates and iirc some big ass dome tweets that can cross low. I crossed low and attenuated a lot so it wont overwhelm me. Switched to JBL since and loved them way more.

Premier Marketing
Ricer

Postby Premier Marketing » January 14th, 2022, 12:21 am

Amplifiers I came across this evening that I forgot I had due to having it packed away are the jl audio 500/5 5 channel slash series amp and also a jbl gto 5355 5 channel. Truth is I would honestly like to do a 1 amp install because I have always liked a very simple set up. Not to mention I do have some gear installed on the trunk ( nitro tank, water meth tank etc. What are your thoughts on these amplifiers as well? The active setup sound really good thanks nervewrecker and yes utilizing the headunit abit more sounds good.

Sound deadening use on some parts of the car are dynamat super lite but haven't started any work on my doors yet but I plan to use the same due to weight.

Aim for the audio system is to have good detailed sound for what it is. I have heard a few sq systems that do run 2 way active and I do like the idea and sound of center imaging (but between 4 to 5000 rpm I no the engine and blow off will do the music lol. If any sq events do come along I might even consider entering.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 14th, 2022, 1:16 am

The JL is my choice here. Clear winner with staggered output for mid and high.

I'd cross the midbass a bit higher with a gentle slope to avoid too much energy on the door panels.

Fade it into the sub with another gentle slope and lower xover point.

Can add slopes with the amps, cross a bit lower on the sub with a slope like a -6db and low pass on the amp like at approx 60 - 70 hz to still have some thump.

Same for the mid, cross like at 100hz -6db and highpass at approx 50 - 60 on the amp for a bit of impact and not too much mechanical energy on doors.

Can play around with slopes and xover points with a bit of eq to your liking.

We all love that rawr pssht, its the moozik.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 14th, 2022, 7:27 am

Did somebody say JL?
Though that JBL is a monster also.
But I'd go with the JL, because JL

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » January 14th, 2022, 7:32 am

Why not go with one of the 5 channels and still do the 2 way active?

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » January 14th, 2022, 8:04 am

You have a nice stash of amps there man...lol

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 14th, 2022, 10:27 am

david12 wrote:Why not go with one of the 5 channels and still do the 2 way active?

The JL is the vote here, and active.

We still voting however, will you like to cast your vote?

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 14th, 2022, 11:31 am

man have some bess stuff rest down & he sticking

like nerve said go active on d mids\highs

both very good amps but Jl jes for d prestige ... lol

Premier Marketing
Ricer

Postby Premier Marketing » January 14th, 2022, 7:16 pm

The jl is still brand new as well as the jbl. Powered them up today due to working in the garage on the car so I had the jbl play for about 3 hours and then I switched over to the jl for another 3 hours. Both amps play fantastic which was powered by a audio authority 50 amp power supply and speakers used were a pair of dls reference comps and a audiopulse epic 10 that I have installed in the garage.

Truth is both amps sound beautiful ( headunit used is a 880prs and media source was original cds ( seal, anya, modonna, micheal jackson etc. Yes I still listen cds and have a case of them lol.
So I still deciding as well.

So running active sounds like the direction I will go but 25rms on tweeters would be enough if I go with the jl?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 14th, 2022, 7:17 pm

Premier Marketing wrote:The jl is still brand new as well as the jbl. Powered them up today due to working in the garage on the car so I had the jbl play for about 3 hours and then I switched over to the jl for another 3 hours. Both amps play fantastic which was powered by a audio authority 50 amp power supply and speakers used were a pair of dls reference comps and a audiopulse epic 10 that I have installed in the garage.

Truth is both amps sound beautiful ( headunit used is a 880prs and media source was original cds ( seal, anya, modonna, micheal jackson etc. Yes I still listen cds and have a case of them lol.
So I still deciding as well.

So running active sounds like the direction I will go but 25rms on tweeters would be enough if I go with the jl?
If you putting those tweeters in your a pillars or dash, that should be fine

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 15th, 2022, 10:51 am

once ur hearing is still intact imo 25rms on tweeters is sufficient especially when they up near d dash which is obviously closer to ur ears ...

Premier Marketing
Ricer

Postby Premier Marketing » January 18th, 2022, 8:24 pm

So terrible news. Tried powering up the jl 500/1 mono today. When turned on the thermal and low ohm lights just blinks and the amp doesn't come on( feeling it's because I never used it for so long)
Any help on what to do or where I can get it check? Someone told me open d amp and spray contact cleaner.

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”