Random Stuff in Car Audio ...

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Random Stuff in Car Audio ...

Postby timelapse » March 6th, 2022, 7:41 pm

https://youtu.be/h3E4ch4Bf_Y
Since we comparing pianos.This is an example of 1x50 watt guitar amp vs.
50x1 watt guitar amps.
Same manufacturer, same tonal signature

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 9th, 2022, 11:31 am

so i see apparently sound off carshows are being allowed again since it have 1 coming up this wk end at COE , after what they get away with "social distancing" for recent crapnival i guess they can do it with this event too

too bad SQ is more close quarters being next to ppl in a car sort of thing otherwise events coulda been held ...

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » March 9th, 2022, 1:00 pm

Rovin wrote:so i see apparently sound off carshows are being allowed again since it have 1 coming up this wk end at COE , after what they get away with "social distancing" for recent crapnival i guess they can do it with this event too

too bad SQ is more close quarters being next to ppl in a car sort of thing otherwise events coulda been held ...
I considering competing in sq just to see how much I have to improve

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 9th, 2022, 2:14 pm

u dont really have to enter competition to know that

from d events i been to over d yrs most sq men are usually cool & if u approach them in a nice manner they give demos to ppl who can appreciate what is sq, once u listen to a few vehicles u shud get a sense of what is lacking or needs improving in yours

afterwards u can ask a few of them to take a listen to ur system, they usually dont mind & willing to give pointers, doh frighten cause i doubt anybody will say boi ur ting sounding like sh1t :lol: unless it really badly sounding like sh1t :poke: :lol:

would advise u to get a copy of d iasca sq refence cd they used to have long time with a description of each track & what to look for in it ... i believe they have a updated version of it, youtube shud have videos about this stuff too

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » March 9th, 2022, 2:57 pm

^^^ yup.

Trust me I was real fraid timelapse lol, last one it had I ended up spending what? Over 6 hours there chatting and amongst 3 cars there was a lot to be learnt, the wifey even came with me and she chill out..
Men sit down in my mids and high Bass van and they hook me up to the RTA too, I was shame to do it but it wasn’t bad at all!!

10/10 would recommend these old farts, knowledge in abundance

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » March 9th, 2022, 3:30 pm

nick639v2 wrote:^^^ yup.

Trust me I was real fraid timelapse lol, last one it had I ended up spending what? Over 6 hours there chatting and amongst 3 cars there was a lot to be learnt, the wifey even came with me and she chill out..
Men sit down in my mids and high Bass van and they hook me up to the RTA too, I was shame to do it but it wasn’t bad at all!!

10/10 would recommend these old farts, knowledge in abundance
A proper RTA reading is what I want actually.Other than that, my studio pardnas said it sounding like a studio ie. accurate reproduction.This using their own tracks

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 9th, 2022, 4:25 pm

^^^ since last yr i waiting for ur demo , then again with covid concern always on everybody mind ...

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » March 9th, 2022, 4:28 pm

Rovin wrote:^^^ since last yr i waiting for ur demo , then again with covid concern always on everybody mind ...
Not that nah.My car dutty with mud from my bad road.FML

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » March 9th, 2022, 5:50 pm

Rovin wrote:afterwards u can ask a few of them to take a listen to ur system, they usually dont mind & willing to give pointers, doh frighten cause i doubt anybody will say boi ur ting sounding like sh1t :lol: unless it really badly sounding like sh1t :poke: :lol:

I still remember one system that would qualify for the "sounding like sh!t" response. Years ago, when I was judging at a car audio show, a guy enters his truck and his "system" basically consisted of one 8" Bazooka and a bunch of piezos strung up along the inside top of the windscreen. That was the entirety of his install. And me and my idle self went and RTA the response. Imagine a big DEEP V.... There's even a picture of me about to do the measurement floating around on the 'net somewhere.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 31st, 2022, 11:16 am

at least he creative in making everything fit inside ... :|

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=1588170461563163

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » April 27th, 2022, 11:22 am

somebody ask me : any house amp for car ? ...

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » April 27th, 2022, 12:19 pm

Rovin wrote:somebody ask me : any house amp for car ? ...
That's a normal thing though.Crown amps in car

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » April 27th, 2022, 6:23 pm

normal u say as in todays time ?

if was in d 80s & 90s when high power 12v amps were not as common as now & very expensive back then i wud say yes - i remember maxi pong days they used house amps, EQs & pro audio speakers

with high power technology as cheap\watt as it is nowadays i dont see why a house amp in a car unless its a van\truck\trailer for public events

i dont know if d person who asked me d question thru online really meant like a box,amp,box all in a single 12v self contained unit , is how d question was asked though ....

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » April 27th, 2022, 6:31 pm

Rovin wrote:normal u say as in todays time ?

if was in d 80s & 90s when high power 12v amps were not as common as now & very expensive back then i wud say yes - i remember maxi pong days they used house amps, EQs & pro audio speakers

with high power technology as cheap\watt as it is nowadays i dont see why a house amp in a car unless its a van\truck\trailer for public events

i dont know if d person who asked me d question thru online really meant like a box,amp,box all in a single 12v self contained unit , is how d question was asked though ....
Well true.But I know men with dj amps normal in their car

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » April 27th, 2022, 6:36 pm

u does know some strange ppl bai .... :lol:

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » April 27th, 2022, 8:06 pm

Rovin wrote:with high power technology as cheap\watt as it is nowadays i dont see why a house amp in a car unless its a van\truck\trailer for public events

Cheap is right. And even then I'd not use house amps in a car for public events when it's more efficient (and therefore less taxing on the car's power supply) to use class D car amps instead.

And talk about cheap, here's a class D subwoofer amp that does 520W RMS into 2 ohms - for $99! I could buy one for each subwoofer in my car, buy two more for spares, buy another one to push the subwoofer for my little mobile PA system and still end up spending less than what I spent for the amp that I have installed in Matilda at the moment. And this is no "BOSS" special - check the reviews for similar amps from this company on Youtube. I might buy one just for kicks, LOL.

https://www.amazon.com/RED600-1-Mono-Bl ... B09D2VCF41

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » April 27th, 2022, 8:22 pm

^^^I might buy one for real and beat the hell out of it. Hopefully it doesn't fail LOL. There was this other one that surfaced in early to mid 2020 that was very cheap and did either close to, or rated power. Big D had a vid on it but I can't remember the brand. I believe it was a micro amp as well. Really can't remember the name but it was selling like hot bread on Amazon.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » April 29th, 2022, 6:37 am

Steele, how goes it brother?

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » July 5th, 2022, 12:13 pm

how ICE section so dead , nobody have anything to talk about or ppl moved to fb, social media or whatsapp groups ? ...

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » July 5th, 2022, 7:26 pm

This weekend I might have something to talk about. I plan to install my new ESX QM66SP 6x6 DSP unit this weekend. Small enough to go in the dash, so that's where it's going.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » July 6th, 2022, 8:36 am

Men watching their wallets these days.Can't blame them, especially with the low occurrence of competition.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » July 6th, 2022, 10:58 am

i myself have not really changed anything much in my ride over d last 10 yrs ...

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » July 12th, 2022, 11:55 pm

Snug as a bug in a rug....

The Tucson's dash needed no mods to install this DSP. "Matilda" was not going to let me get into the dash without a fight though, being a fifteen year old vehicle. It took a few hours to complete this installation, most of which was trying to remove all the damned harnesses connection points connecting to the panel to the rest of the dash.

The picture shows the DSP with no dress panel in place yet. I'm debating whether to seal it off entirely from view with a black panel, or tidy up the cables a little bit and put a bit of plexi in to show it off a bit. 1 ft. cables connect the deck to the DSP. I used cables with right-angled connectors that I purchased off of Amazon, but there's enough space between the DSP and the front of the panel to use ordinary RCA cables instead. Well, most of them.

As for tuning, I fired up REW on my laptop, used a calibrated mic from Dayton to perform some measurements, and then used REW's "EQ" feature to automatically calculate the the various EQ settings that would be needed to get the response to get as close to a defined target response as possible. Total time spent - about an our or less. End result sounds pretty good for a first stab at tuning. Gonna play with it a bit more next weekend.

20220712_220201.jpg

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » July 13th, 2022, 3:45 pm

better to hide\stealth ur stuff b4 somebody like it more than u & rip open ur dash to yank it out ...

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » July 20th, 2022, 9:16 am

I'd say Plexi it, except,tint it with one way film and put led strips behind it.That way, nobody can see it unless the lights are on, and it will look fresh

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » July 20th, 2022, 8:32 pm

REW really makes it easy to configure the DSP. Just measure, create your target curve, select the EQ option, then select "match response to target", then configure the suggested filter settings in the DSP.

Trying to really tame the subwoofers in my car with the deck's basic controls was just not possible. A DSP and REW made it a breeze...

2022-07-20 (3).png
Attachments
2022-07-20 (4).png

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » July 21st, 2022, 7:34 am

Brian Steele wrote:REW really makes it easy to configure the DSP. Just measure, create your target curve, select the EQ option, then select "match response to target", then configure the suggested filter settings in the DSP.

Trying to really tame the subwoofers in my car with the deck's basic controls was just not possible. A DSP and REW made it a breeze...

2022-07-20 (4).png

How’d you do the REW? Software etc. it intrigues me, I’m trying to get my response better in my np300 and it’s being a nightmare.

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » July 21st, 2022, 8:04 pm

nick639v2 wrote:How’d you do the REW? Software etc. it intrigues me, I’m trying to get my response better in my np300 and it’s being a nightmare.

Check this site - it will tell you all you need to know about REW - https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

To fix a car audio system's response, best thing to do IMO is to measure the raw response of all the speakers from the driver's position, then spend the next hour or two in-house on the computer using the results in REW to identify best x-over points, required EQ, etc., then executing those changes, listening to the results and repeating the measurements if necessary.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » July 22nd, 2022, 2:28 pm

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » September 4th, 2022, 2:11 pm

just to keep ICE section lively : JBL FTW ...

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”