(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

EYEandEYE
Riding on 13's

Re: Car audio advice thread

Postby EYEandEYE » January 11th, 2023, 9:56 am

Hi Good Day All
Firstly Happy New to everyone.
I heard that there's an sq event on the 22nd of this month. Does anyone know of the details?? Also something about a dsp training later on in this month as well. This was just word of mouth however, I'm subject to correction.

Thanks in advance for any info.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » January 11th, 2023, 11:20 am

Home theatre go with a bigger sub bro

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » January 11th, 2023, 11:21 am

At minimum a 10", 12" better, 15" the bestest

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 11th, 2023, 11:48 am

david12 wrote:
rollingstock wrote:What amp you have for bass?

Depending on that, could advise you.

Just sayin up front I partial to DD
It's a Gemini pro amp I bought from Steve's. Can't remember the exact model but I dynoed it at 575 rms. Yes it's for HT.

is that amp 1 ohm or 2 ohm stable ? post d model no.

what u used to dyno it ?

anyway if is HT u should have plenty room

ole saying : no replacement for displacement

remember that 15" mtx i have on my showcase - i have 1 of those in my workshop under a table & it shakes d galvanise roof with lows off a 400rms rated amp that prolly does 300 off 12v batt power, its a rated 400rms\800max sub though i have played it in my wagon with a 1k amp with no problems ...

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » January 11th, 2023, 12:12 pm

Rovin wrote:
david12 wrote:

It's a Gemini pro amp I bought from Steve's. Can't remember the exact model but I dynoed it at 575 rms. Yes it's for HT.

what u used to dyno it ?

remember that 15" mtx i have on my showcase - i have 1 of those in my workshop under a table & it shakes d galvanise roof with lows off a 400rms rated amp that prolly does 300 off 12v batt power, its a rated 400rms\800max sub though i have played it in my wagon with a 1k amp with no problems ...
4 ohm per channel, 8 ohm bridged. I borrowed a friend's SMD AMM-1. I was studying 2 8s would have more surface area than the current 10. It hurting me to do anything other than the 2 8s because I built a box last October but in all honesty a 15 would be ideal. I remember the P2 15 as well and if I didn't have this box I would seriously consider it. Selling car audio is a pain these days.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 11th, 2023, 12:16 pm

so it does its full power at 8ohms bridged ? .... hmmmm both d 15 mtx & RF subs on my showcase is d4

like mostly anything else, when u sell back its highly unlikely to recover what u paid for it new ...
Last edited by Rovin on January 11th, 2023, 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » January 11th, 2023, 12:27 pm

Go with the 15. For home theatre you need that fill unless it's a small room. Vehicle acoustics different.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » January 11th, 2023, 12:28 pm

And this from someone that uses a idq8 in a 4th order in the bedroom. And an earthquake 10" subzero in the living room. Bigger more efficient subs are better.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 11th, 2023, 3:03 pm

since we done going off topic

stereo integrity has their monster 24" sub & on YT u will see some ppl have 2 or 3 of it in their home ..... :faint:

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 11th, 2023, 5:42 pm

What is the cheapest 4v rca deck out there?
Paid 1100 for a jvc befure covid. But that had time alignment and the other dsp functions too

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » January 11th, 2023, 7:49 pm

I have the first series stereo integrity 18 inch ht sub if u interested...its currently in a 3cubes sealed box

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 12th, 2023, 11:17 am

nah d boss i good :P

i shame to say is yrs now i saying i go change up my dry rot logitec z5500 speakers & put some 6.5" & a 15 as d bass replacement too , i always yea i go do it & never got around or like dise d last ting on my mind ..... :oops:

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 12th, 2023, 11:25 am

EYEandEYE wrote:Hi Good Day All
I heard that there's an sq event on the 22nd of this month. Does anyone know of the details?? Also something about a dsp training later on in this month as well. This was just word of mouth however, I'm subject to correction.

oh HNY

other than whats in d poster they posted in d SQ WA group thats all i know , they havent even posted d same poster in d MSQA fb group as yet like they forgot though i did see a poster on fb for a DSP paid training they having

i want to go to d event on d 22nd as a spectator ... :fadein:

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 12th, 2023, 7:15 pm

david12 wrote:
Rovin wrote:
david12 wrote:

what u used to dyno it ?

4 ohm per channel, 8 ohm bridged. I borrowed a friend's SMD AMM-1. I was studying 2 8s would have more surface area than the current 10. It hurting me to do anything other than the 2 8s because I built a box last October but in all honesty a 15 would be ideal. I remember the P2 15 as well and if I didn't have this box I would seriously consider it. Selling car audio is a pain these days.
Get the p2 15", the carbon fiber cone ones like I had. Fs is 20hz.
Take it with faith 4.0 cubic feet enclosure, go easy on the power and enjoy.
I think my box was like 8 or 10 inches deep, enclosure was like 18 inches accross and whatever height I needed it to be back then.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » January 12th, 2023, 8:26 pm

We eh ask what kind of room he have for the enclosure. 15" would be optimal but be prepared for a huge no tail box in your house. Depending on the sub let's say 2.5 for a 12, 1.75 to 2 for a 10. These sizes would vary but a rough estimate, and that's internal volume, have to add sub, MDF space etc.

If space is an issue can't go wrong with a strong 8" in a 4th order once the room not too large. If going that route though I'd advise using a sub like a DD, nothing with too soft suspension. You wouldn't be able to see the sun so easy to clip or too much excursion and frig it up.

david12
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby david12 » January 12th, 2023, 8:39 pm

The 15 won't be a bad option but definitely not a small upgrade like my previous idea. Space is not too much of an issue in this case. Currently my 10 is in a 2 cubic feet box at 28hz with roughly 15-16 in² of port area per cubic feet so it's a big box. Maybe if I do the 15 I could try it sealed and see how that works. I've actually never experimented with anything sealed before.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 12th, 2023, 9:23 pm

Just ignore your subsonic filter and go easy on it with power till you dial it in. I had mine low passed at 31.5hz -12db slope.

Gotta sacrifice some output for bandwidth. Never failed me at delivering subsonic notes and the response was pretty good down to 15hz. Played bass I love you and Rihanna emergency room at home with it for a bit, was not disappointed.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » January 12th, 2023, 11:55 pm

If you have the space a 4th order is great for bandwidth and still getting those low notes. But a 4th order 15" you might as well move out your bed or couch and rest a piece of sponge on it and dual purpose that thing.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » January 13th, 2023, 6:16 am

EYEandEYE wrote:Hi Good Day All

Jan 22nd sq starts at 8am

https://facebook.com/events/s/iasca-tri ... 380858052/

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 13th, 2023, 11:21 am

RF stopped making d previous generation gray subs easily over 10yrs ago , i see on their manual has 2011

d current\last model p2 15 fs is also 20hz https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p2d2-15/ i would plot my own enclosure though as imo 90% of manufacturer specs doesnt suit me

used to run alot of sealed boxes yrsss ago since they take up d least space but sealed vs ported generally speaking : less efficient, less output & usually doesnt drop as low

a 15" is a nice sounding experience once u have\willing to give it d sufficient space it needs ...

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 13th, 2023, 12:00 pm

Rovin wrote:RF stopped making d previous generation gray subs easily over 10yrs ago , i see on their manual has 2011

d current\last model p2 15 fs is also 20hz https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p2d2-15/ i would plot my own enclosure though as imo 90% of manufacturer specs doesnt suit me

used to run alot of sealed boxes yrsss ago since they take up d least space but sealed vs ported generally speaking : less efficient, less output & usually doesnt drop as low

a 15" is a nice sounding experience once u have\willing to give it d sufficient space it needs ...
Between ur designs and the manufacturer recommended, what difference in power handling and bandwidth do u experience?

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 13th, 2023, 1:07 pm

musical taste is always a subjective thing but since smash asked MY experience in subs\enclosures :

some\alot of ppl like punchy\peaky sound aka "high bass" lets say a tuning of 38-40hz which quite a no of manufacturers recommend since its thought of "an all around tuning that alot of ppl prefer" ... they almost always give small enclosure recommendations [ppl swear d company knows best] cause everybody has space concerns

i always tell ppl for ex : 40hz in 2cuft box sounds alot different than a 40hz box tuned 2.5cuft which will allow a deeper roll off which to most ppl ears may come off sounding louder, lower, deeper which some may describe as being "more efficient"

in MY experience a larger box [some cases as much as 2 times or more than recommended] has a much wider FLATTER bandwidth & to me doesnt lose any power handling that is less than recommended rms , so some might think well he made d box 2x bigger so now it might handle less power, not really for me , d coil\s will still handle rated , depending on d sub it may still handle more than rated easily, i dont see\hear\detect any unloading\distortion once ur system is set properly, in some cases putting extra amp power doesnt necessarily yield extra output

now all of what i posted here can be done by guess trial\error, u might get lucky to stumble on something u like or be way off what it shud be but i dont do guessing, i always check enclosures long b4 even buying any sub to simulate whats it can do , i been saying this on here for yrssss ...

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 13th, 2023, 3:06 pm

Nice elaboration.
My assumptions seem to be in line with ur experience.

WRT to larger enclosures and still maintaining Power handling, I want to assume, thst the resonance in ur designs is inline with what u playing, so there is mechanicsl coupled of the air and the diaphragm, allowing it to msintain its electrical impedance, so could take the power.

A smaller enclosure merely resists the movement with less air, but a larger enclosre will do the same but at its resonant, with the added advantage of moving more air.

Barevids did a break down of his 6th order and explained how he has to run stupid low coil configs to impedance match the subs to the smps, cause the tune so good that he gets a lot of impedance gain in the coils when playing.
And he generates a lot of sound wirh little cone movement.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 13th, 2023, 4:11 pm

when designing u enter about how much cuft u have to spare & tuning u think u would like but ultimately d sub will mostly dictate what it wants to be in & tuning , u can tweak it to a point to suit what u want out of it but sometimes a sub just wont project to do what u thought u were hoping for, either live with that or look around for a sub that does what u want from it

u can get overwhelm with all kinda science details but it can drive u nuts taking all d fun from this hobby & other part of it is after all d science designing is allowing ur sub to break in when new too , then is real life in vehicle response, d vehicle's natural acoustics, where u place d enclosure, sound dampening can affect roll off too etc, then u can run a rta, or if u dont have that set crossover points & eq to ur personal taste

check hexibase guy on YT if u like all d sciency geeky info like if u going university to study for an exam ... :lol:

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 13th, 2023, 4:22 pm

Hexibase designs enclosures like tuning an equalizer... That's wayyyy more than i interested in.

I just want lows, efficient, with a Lil bandwidth.

Never built enough boxes to get enough experience.

But, the ht sub is in the works. Going folded horn. Need two more sheet of ply, didn't buy enough.

Want to do a folded horn for some 6.5 as well. Might do that first.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 13th, 2023, 5:56 pm

folded horns does be nice if u get it right but if u just going with somebody plans on google, it cud either sound amazing or like toots, they a bit big, heavy, require more skill & wood to cut\assemble, cud be fun or disappointing if it doesnt come out sounding good after u go thru all d trouble ... built a few ppl hired me to do or from d net, i never bothered to really take d time to properly learn\design them ... past few yrs alot of dem soundboys using them in their rides for that hard hitting carshow\dj bass

back in days when 3\4 mdf was an affordable $150 a sheet & i used to box build for ppl as a sideline i used to buy about 10-20 sheets at a time cause transport cost d same if u buy 5 sheet or 20 sheets ... i always had pieces remaining from each sheet u cut & used to experiment alot, if u cut straight & neat u dont even need to glue anything for trial\error purposes, so u can assemble\reassemble, adjust port or cuft easily, yes u will get d screw head dimple & some holes in d mdf but thats minor

nowadays 3\4 mdf is averaging between $350-395 so unless $ is not an issue u cant be so carefree cause its obviously not so cheap anymore

ply is even more $ & i find it almost always eventually yrs down d road gets that ole lady sugar weevil\woodlice in it ...

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » January 14th, 2023, 11:05 am

Doing folded horns right involves choosing the right drivers for them, and car audio drivers aren't typically good for that use.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 14th, 2023, 11:26 am

Only looking to reach as high as 35hz or so... Will use another driver fur 40hz up.

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » January 14th, 2023, 11:30 am

End-loaded TL ("bass whistle") is probably the best way to go then. Narrow bandwidth with lots of output.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » January 14th, 2023, 11:56 am

for liming & carshow purposes trini sound boys basically want loud hard hitting DJ type bass, they been using pro audio speaker\drivers for mids\highs for yrsssss yet was sticking to car audio subs forcing it to play mainly higher notes like 50+hz modding d subs with extra\stiffer spiders etc & using them in high tone or dj style enclosures

but i see some finally started to use pro audio subs which logically makes more sense ... no worries getting plenty power at higher ohm loads since unlimited options with brazilian amps & similar full bridge amps around at an affordable price ... this is why so many rides out here with all d loud, plenty options & alot cheaper amp power than how it was say 10yrs ago ... with lithium batts too its less weight & space in ur ride so that is also a huge plus compared to d days of agm batts

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”