Forums

Time alignment (subwoofers to midbass)

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Time alignment (subwoofers to midbass)

Postby Brian Steele » August 11th, 2021, 12:01 am

What techniques do you use for time aligning your subwoofers with your midbass speakers in your car? Do you just do a physical measurement and plug those dimensions into your DSP, or do you do something else?

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Time alignment (subwoofers to midbass)

Postby Brian Steele » August 12th, 2021, 7:13 pm

Wow, 70 views and no answers yet.... :-)

Well, I discovered recently that doing it just by distance measurement alone is probably not going to produce optimum results. That should be the starting point, after which reducing the delay (increasing the "distance" setting in the DSP). and looking at the resulting combined output through the x-over region can actually lead to better midbass reproduction. At least that gave the best results in my car... :-)

evolution7tt
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby evolution7tt » August 12th, 2021, 8:18 pm

Brian Steele wrote:Wow, 70 views and no answers yet.... :-)

Well, I discovered recently that doing it just by distance measurement alone is probably not going to produce optimum results. That should be the starting point, after which reducing the delay (increasing the "distance" setting in the DSP). and looking at the resulting combined output through the x-over region can actually lead to better midbass reproduction. At least that gave the best results in my car... :-)

That's how I've always done mine.

Measurement gets me close, but reducing the delay past that point gives me more upfront bass than if I were to just use the input from the raw measurement.

Of course, level matching the midbass and sub helps a great deal. I've realised over the years that I don't necessarily need to cross my midbass super low to get upfront bass.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » August 12th, 2021, 8:34 pm

I'm not much help, but subbd for info. I usually take hard measurements and plug it in the dsp and fine tune from there, I'm in a pickup and the amount of cancellation in my midbass region is ridiculous.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » August 13th, 2021, 9:40 am

Similarly to Mario, I also enter the measurement as a starting point and adjust further by ear. This always yields good results for a sealed subwoofer system for me. Using a good track with prominent kickdrum helps a lot. Oh, don't forget, good up font bass is associated with no rattles as this localizes the sound.

For ported systems in vehicles it is more of a challenge.

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » August 13th, 2021, 10:14 am

For the "final adjustment" (is there ever such a thing, LOL), I use REW and a good microphone. That's how I found out that decreasing the the delay on the subwoofers improved the output at midbass frequencies (80~200 Hz). I might still have a bit more adjustment to do as I noticed that there's a small amount of cancellation at 200 Hz, but the result sounds pretty good as it is.

evolution7tt
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby evolution7tt » August 15th, 2021, 9:39 am

kavaninho wrote:Similarly to Mario, I also enter the measurement as a starting point and adjust further by ear. This always yields good results for a sealed subwoofer system for me. Using a good track with prominent kickdrum helps a lot. Oh, don't forget, good up font bass is associated with no rattles as this localizes the sound.

For ported systems in vehicles it is more of a challenge.

Two important points there. Good tuning track and eliminating rattles.

You know my current sub setup; eliminating rattles is impossible. :lol:

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”