TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Sub Woofer box tuning.

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 750
Joined: March 29th, 2008, 8:30 pm
Location: Gasparillo
Contact:

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby kavaninho » June 28th, 2021, 5:31 pm

I'm pretty sure the problem lies in the setup of your equipment. You are describing a huge 'night and day' difference which shouldn't be from just changing amps.
4-500W on a pair of 10s is descent output.

User avatar
jackal
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1674
Joined: April 20th, 2003, 9:50 am

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby jackal » June 28th, 2021, 5:47 pm

kavaninho wrote:I'm pretty sure the problem lies in the setup of your equipment. You are describing a huge 'night and day' difference which shouldn't be from just changing amps.
4-500W on a pair of 10s is descent output.


Yea I know, it is the matching of the speakers to the amp, considering the load and available wattage distributed to the speakers.

I have a lot of options available to me, I have a crunch 4 channel, the Zeus and the Sound magnus, I will probably put the crunch in and see how that perform. Have a pair of Pioneer 10" and the pair of Kicker 10" as well, I will fing the MTX 10" and see what that does. Will use the Pioneer in the Hilux and get a small 4 channel for the mids and highs. Probably a cross fire or a Taramp.

With this covid, work have we lockdown not much time off.

User avatar
Rovin
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6155
Joined: January 23rd, 2014, 1:14 pm
Location: Heart of Chaguanas ...

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby Rovin » June 28th, 2021, 6:31 pm

make sure when u swapping amps that :

ur ohm load match to amp & wire sub\s to load amp is capable of , not under

set deck & amp low pass filters , 80hz is suitable to most ppl , if there is a subsonic filter then put it close to what box is tuned to

turn off bass boost in deck & amp

set ur gains properly


plenty decent YouTube videos showing all of what i posted ...

User avatar
SR
Chief Cook & Instigator
Posts: 13834
Joined: April 7th, 2003, 8:11 pm

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby SR » June 28th, 2021, 7:31 pm

Op

If its the 1600 mono amp from pioneer

Remove 1 sub and make a blank plate to cover the hole.

Box internal volume is 1.7cuf sub is a single 4 ohm rated at 300 watts
Amp is rated at 300 watts at 4 ohm
Not sure what size diameter you increased the port to but if you went with a 4" then try maybe at around 10 to 12 " long.

Thiele smalle specs of the sub would help with optimum tuning and recomended box volume for the subs

User avatar
jackal
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1674
Joined: April 20th, 2003, 9:50 am

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby jackal » June 28th, 2021, 7:41 pm

Rovin wrote:make sure when u swapping amps that :

ur ohm load match to amp & wire sub\s to load amp is capable of , not under

set deck & amp low pass filters , 80hz is suitable to most ppl , if there is a subsonic filter then put it close to what box is tuned to

turn off bass boost in deck & amp

set ur gains properly


plenty decent YouTube videos showing all of what i posted ...


That is exactly what I need to do.

User avatar
jackal
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1674
Joined: April 20th, 2003, 9:50 am

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby jackal » June 28th, 2021, 7:44 pm

SR wrote:Op

If its the 1600 mono amp from pioneer

Remove 1 sub and make a blank plate to cover the hole.

Box internal volume is 1.7cuf sub is a single 4 ohm rated at 300 watts
Amp is rated at 300 watts at 4 ohm
Not sure what size diameter you increased the port to but if you went with a 4" then try maybe at around 10 to 12 " long.

Thiele smalle specs of the sub would help with optimum tuning and recommended box volume for the subs


Each speaker is in its section in the box, i think the volume is around 1.67 cuft.

My port is a 2" port an is about 3 to 4" long, I think.

The issue was always around the powering the subs with a mono block and matching it properly. The 4 ch bridged was getting the real bass.

User avatar
jackal
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1674
Joined: April 20th, 2003, 9:50 am

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby jackal » June 28th, 2021, 7:46 pm

My first set of component speakers was bought from you (SR) back in 2007 or 8.

User avatar
SR
Chief Cook & Instigator
Posts: 13834
Joined: April 7th, 2003, 8:11 pm

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby SR » June 28th, 2021, 7:48 pm

Ok 1.67 per chamber for a 12 is good

User avatar
rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 17163
Joined: June 29th, 2009, 8:21 am
Location: Ain't got no chill!

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby rollingstock » June 28th, 2021, 7:58 pm

If it sounding good with the 4 channel, and you run the subs parallel for a 2 ohm load and it's not sounding good, somewhere along you made a mistake or your settings off on the mono. Cause no way a 100w difference in output would make a glaring audible difference.

User avatar
rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 17163
Joined: June 29th, 2009, 8:21 am
Location: Ain't got no chill!

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby rollingstock » June 28th, 2021, 8:00 pm

What type of source are you using for bass? Sub out from hu, pre, cross? Polarity of sub wiring correct? So much things can be going wrong and you would miss it.

User avatar
rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 17163
Joined: June 29th, 2009, 8:21 am
Location: Ain't got no chill!

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby rollingstock » June 28th, 2021, 11:32 pm

Rovin wrote: if there is a subsonic filter then put it close to what box is tuned to


Question rovin, wouldn't that depend on the enclosure design? And set roll off similar to the enclosure to protect the sub?

Or did I read your statement wrong?

User avatar
jackal
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1674
Joined: April 20th, 2003, 9:50 am

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby jackal » June 29th, 2021, 6:07 am

rollingstock wrote:What type of source are you using for bass? Sub out from hu, pre, cross? Polarity of sub wiring correct? So much things can be going wrong and you would miss it.


Sub out on the head unit.

User avatar
jackal
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1674
Joined: April 20th, 2003, 9:50 am

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby jackal » June 29th, 2021, 6:09 am

on page 1 there is a pic of the box, speakers and port.

User avatar
Rovin
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6155
Joined: January 23rd, 2014, 1:14 pm
Location: Heart of Chaguanas ...

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby Rovin » June 29th, 2021, 11:45 am

rollingstock wrote:
Rovin wrote: if there is a subsonic filter then put it close to what box is tuned to


Question rovin, wouldn't that depend on the enclosure design? And set roll off similar to the enclosure to protect the sub?

Or did I read your statement wrong?


correct

what said is a beginner guide to keep his sub safe for now & to at least get him within d ballpark range of where his sub shud be operating

i have seen some sites & videos recommending newcomers to set ssf 3-5hz under enclosure tuning - it wud be far more accurate to plot his sub & enclosure tuning he used then say set ssf specifically at value X but i not gonna do all that work ...

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 750
Joined: March 29th, 2008, 8:30 pm
Location: Gasparillo
Contact:

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby kavaninho » June 29th, 2021, 6:15 pm

OP that port area is too small for that volume you got. Near the tuning freq. you will chuff for sure. Get a 3
or 4" dia PVC and use that instead.

User avatar
jackal
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1674
Joined: April 20th, 2003, 9:50 am

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby jackal » June 30th, 2021, 10:51 am

kavaninho wrote:OP that port area is too small for that volume you got. Near the tuning freq. you will chuff for sure. Get a 3
or 4" dia PVC and use that instead.


When hooked up to the 4 channel amp, it sounding real good.

But is there anyone in the south area that does tune boxes. Need to get one tuned for another vehicle before installed.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 750
Joined: March 29th, 2008, 8:30 pm
Location: Gasparillo
Contact:

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby kavaninho » June 30th, 2021, 5:30 pm

jackal wrote:
kavaninho wrote:OP that port area is too small for that volume you got. Near the tuning freq. you will chuff for sure. Get a 3
or 4" dia PVC and use that instead.


When hooked up to the 4 channel amp, it sounding real good.

But is there anyone in the south area that does tune boxes. Need to get one tuned for another vehicle before installed.


The port resonant frequency is determined from the design and modelling phase. "Tuning" a box after it is built is not the usual protocol.

Calculate your internal volume and use online calculators for the port. There is alot of good, free information online.

User avatar
Rovin
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6155
Joined: January 23rd, 2014, 1:14 pm
Location: Heart of Chaguanas ...

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby Rovin » June 30th, 2021, 6:13 pm

OP in addition to what everybody already posted, all u have to do is use this https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp ... is not rocket science :|

User avatar
jackal
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1674
Joined: April 20th, 2003, 9:50 am

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby jackal » July 3rd, 2021, 10:27 am

The box good.

Just matching of the amp was not don correctly.

With that said, think of adding a DSP. Audio Control is top of the line, expensive. What are the other good option out there that is reasonable good?

User avatar
rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 17163
Joined: June 29th, 2009, 8:21 am
Location: Ain't got no chill!

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby rollingstock » July 3rd, 2021, 10:40 am

Stop blaming the equipment or buying more as a plaster to cover the fact you doing sheit somewhere.

User avatar
*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8059
Joined: August 5th, 2005, 9:50 am
Location: UP IN DA HEEZY!

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby *KRONIK* » July 3rd, 2021, 11:11 am

Rofl
rollingstock wrote:Stop blaming the equipment or buying more as a plaster to cover the fact you doing sheit somewhere.

User avatar
jackal
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1674
Joined: April 20th, 2003, 9:50 am

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby jackal » July 3rd, 2021, 12:29 pm

rollingstock wrote:Stop blaming the equipment or buying more as a plaster to cover the fact you doing sheit somewhere.


I know the sheit I doing and I know how to clean it up.

Being in a constant state of dissatisfaction will help to continuously improve and not accept shiet.

So what is a good DSP?

User avatar
david12
Street 2NR
Posts: 68
Joined: June 23rd, 2021, 2:20 pm
Location: all over the place

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby david12 » July 3rd, 2021, 12:31 pm

Relax man it's his money going into this and his equipment let him experiment as he pleases, all of us don't have the same experience or knowledge and in this hobby you learn as you go along. If you say something that you believe is right and the OP doesn't agree just let it be, you tried to help with your knowledge.
rollingstock wrote:Stop blaming the equipment or buying more as a plaster to cover the fact you doing sheit somewhere.

User avatar
jackal
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1674
Joined: April 20th, 2003, 9:50 am

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby jackal » July 3rd, 2021, 12:34 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:Rofl
rollingstock wrote:Stop blaming the equipment or buying more as a plaster to cover the fact you doing sheit somewhere.


If i tell you some of the people I went to in San Fernando and they could not even explain the amp load to speaker load, you will be surprised and they are professionals.

I think I am still better off making mistakes by myself, because in the end, I learn from them.

After the other test I am going to carry out, I might be able to advise and design basic systems. :D :D :D

User avatar
rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 17163
Joined: June 29th, 2009, 8:21 am
Location: Ain't got no chill!

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby rollingstock » July 3rd, 2021, 12:55 pm

jackal wrote:
rollingstock wrote:Stop blaming the equipment or buying more as a plaster to cover the fact you doing sheit somewhere.


I know the sheit I doing and I know how to clean it up.

Being in a constant state of dissatisfaction will help to continuously improve and not accept shiet.

So what is a good DSP?


There are many. What do you need it for?
But from the system you posted why a DSP?

Just get a good head unit if you don't already have one. Most mid spec Hu's have more than enough processing built in.

User avatar
Rovin
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6155
Joined: January 23rd, 2014, 1:14 pm
Location: Heart of Chaguanas ...

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby Rovin » July 3rd, 2021, 1:55 pm

RS might be lil rough on his delivery but he is right

all along this thread everybody telling u get d basics fixed right 1st then u can tweak or change stuff as much to ur liking ... :|

User avatar
rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 17163
Joined: June 29th, 2009, 8:21 am
Location: Ain't got no chill!

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby rollingstock » July 3rd, 2021, 3:25 pm

If I was still living south I wouldn't have mind spending a few hours going over his install and helping out and worst with this covid sheit I ain't really want to go to a stranger's house.

I try not to be harsh, and I don't mean anything by it, that's just me.

Op try not to be throwing money or equipment behind a simple issue. I'm sure it's something fundamental that you missed. Or even the amp, was the pioneer bought new or used? There should really be no audible difference between both amps. A 100w not going to make a big difference.

I fixed many problems for persons before for free that they kept throwing money behind, and all the problems were simple little things. From rca run with power wire. One sub wired out of phase. Amp switch on slave, terminal on sub wrongly colour coded (from factory eh)
One person have an amp installed wanted to upgrade bought a better amp and when testing amp tripping when driven hard, he ran a bigger ground wire for the new amp, when removing the old wire realised the metal was sanded bare, he didn't want a rust issue so painted back the panel including the bolt hole :lol:

User avatar
jackal
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1674
Joined: April 20th, 2003, 9:50 am

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby jackal » July 3rd, 2021, 6:05 pm

Rovin wrote:RS might be lil rough on his delivery but he is right

all along this thread everybody telling u get d basics fixed right 1st then u can tweak or change stuff as much to ur liking ... :|



Na the man just calling it like he see it.

User avatar
jackal
Riding on 18's
Posts: 1674
Joined: April 20th, 2003, 9:50 am

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby jackal » July 3rd, 2021, 6:08 pm

rollingstock wrote:If I was still living south I wouldn't have mind spending a few hours going over his install and helping out and worst with this covid sheit I ain't really want to go to a stranger's house.

I try not to be harsh, and I don't mean anything by it, that's just me.

Op try not to be throwing money or equipment behind a simple issue. I'm sure it's something fundamental that you missed. Or even the amp, was the pioneer bought new or used? There should really be no audible difference between both amps. A 100w not going to make a big difference.

I fixed many problems for persons before for free that they kept throwing money behind, and all the problems were simple little things. From rca run with power wire. One sub wired out of phase. Amp switch on slave, terminal on sub wrongly colour coded (from factory eh)
One person have an amp installed wanted to upgrade bought a better amp and when testing amp tripping when driven hard, he ran a bigger ground wire for the new amp, when removing the old wire realised the metal was sanded bare, he didn't want a rust issue so painted back the panel including the bolt hole :lol:


Boy, I living Rio Claro.

You don't have much options down on my side.

DIY is where it at.

As you should realize by now, I like to dig up. If is not in the music, it the hilux and even trying my hand in some modern day agricultural stuff

User avatar
rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 17163
Joined: June 29th, 2009, 8:21 am
Location: Ain't got no chill!

Re: Sub Woofer box tuning.

Postby rollingstock » July 3rd, 2021, 6:31 pm

Rio? Lol well good luck with that.

So why you want a DSP?

If you don't know how to tune it, it can actually make your music sound worst. What's the intention?

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests