(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Basic sq setup tips

Postby SR » August 17th, 2019, 10:24 am

This article is courtesy of Andy Wehmeyer
Ceo of audiofrog ans former top iasca competiter

If you're a car audio tech and you've been doing this for awhile, you've probably built this system hundreds of times. Install a new head unit, a DSP, a couple of amps, front components and a sub.

If you've built this a bunch of times, you've probably tuned this a bunch of times.

To make this sound good in one seat, there are a few basic audio processing tools you use to make this sound great--to make this win a competition, maybe.

Those tools are:

1. Crossovers. We have to limit the low frequency content that we send to small speakers to keep them from bowing up. It's a good idea to limit the high frequency content that's sent to larger speakers. This helps us create a center image and helps us blend the sound of the speakers so we hear the location of the sound in the front and near the location of the tweeters.

2. Delays, polarity and phase. We use delays to make sure that the sound from each of the speakers arrives at the same time, which puts the speakers in phase, so long as we have the polarity correct. That also helps to create the center image. When left and right speakers are in phase, we hear a sound that's recorded the same in the left channel and in the right channel in between the two front speakers. That's our center image.

Basic crossover design is predicated on simultaneous arrival time from the speakers to which the crossover has been applied. Delay is also important to make our crossovers work. When we get those two things right, we hear the image at or near the location of the high frequency driver. We hear the bass in the front and we hear the midrange and the midbass near the location of the tweeter. So, tweeters in the top of the doors, the dash or the a-pillar will define the height of the image--if we get this right. Some crossovers--second order, primarily, require us to swap the phase of every other band. That's because second order crossovers shift the phase and the high pass and low pass are 180 degrees out of phase. Other common crossover alignments don't require this because the phase change isn't 180 degrees.

If we don't get this right and the midrange and the tweeter aren't in phase at the crossover (where both speakers contribute to the sound), then instead of hearing ONE location (just like the center image when left and right speakers are in phase), we hear the locations of the two speakers.

This why we sometimes hear the bass in the back or the midbass low in the door.

3. Equalization. In order for the image to appear in the center and to remain there no matter which note the singer sings or the instruments play, the level and the frequency response has to match pretty closely when we measure it at the listening position.

All high performance speakers for home audio or pro audio or even car audio are designed to make this configuration work. All the other components in the system are also designed to make this work. A stereo recording is designed so that when it's played back over a system designed this way, we hear an image of performers and instruments in some arrangement from left to right.

These are the basics of what EVERYONE does when they design high performance audio (HiFi) systems.
FB_IMG_1566051854286.jpeg

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Basic sq setup tips

Postby Rovin » August 17th, 2019, 11:40 am

good stuff ...

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » August 20th, 2019, 9:08 am

Thanks for this info.
What would be a recommended DSP for newbies to SQ?

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » August 20th, 2019, 4:26 pm

Features for money?
I find the Dayton audio Dsp is feature packed. And it's only like 150 USd.
U can even use it on the house.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » August 20th, 2019, 8:20 pm

DJ Q wrote:Thanks for this info.
What would be a recommended DSP for newbies to SQ?

I suggest newbies to SQ should not start with an external DSPs but rather decks with good built in DSPs new model pionner/kenwoods. Started with an 80prs in 2012 and still have the unit installed.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » August 21st, 2019, 12:14 pm

some of nowadays better amps have built in DSP , thats another option too ...

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » August 21st, 2019, 3:36 pm

New pioneer double din has time alignment, crossover, network mode etc. I created a post somewhere because dsp has also sparked my interests, but other than oem stereo integration and the need for 18+ eq adjustments. Aftermarket stereos have most of the features on tap

DJ Q
punchin NOS

Postby DJ Q » August 22nd, 2019, 8:53 am

Well I'm currently looking at the Pioneer 2500NEX.
13 Band EQ and time alignment, network mode, etc

But I have one question about that...
How do you guys hook up rear fill in network mode?

I like to keep the option for the rear stock speakers to be available as I sometimes switch off my amp to allow my son to play games or watch videos and only let the audio play in the rear.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » August 22nd, 2019, 12:08 pm

nick639v2 wrote:New pioneer double din has time alignment, crossover, network mode etc. I created a post somewhere because dsp has also sparked my interests, but other than oem stereo integration and the need for 18+ eq adjustments. Aftermarket stereos have most of the features on tap

i agree

last yr & this yr pio has really stepped up their features especially for d price [though i see less back grounds choices & certain minor features, pio always give with 1 hand & takes back with d other]

for most novices to semipro users these are sufficient , still alot of ppl out there who dont know what these features do even with so much info in youtube

plenty ppl dont know how to set basic crossover pts , what a slope does or what to listen for or what sounds decent when fiddling with a eq .... far less if they get their hands on a DSP

EQ is subjective to users though , u give 10 average ppl a chance to EQ something i sure all 10 will be different ... 1 of d reasons if somebody asks me to eq their system i will hesitate to do it cause done to my ears will sound "too laid back" to d average man out there

as for rear fill or any rear speakers : personally i dont care for it though some ppl like it & say ambience etc but to each his own on that , i havent used rear fill in my daily rides for more than 10 yrs ... :|

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”