Help...battery problem

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Jeremy09
3NE 2NR for life

Help...battery problem

Postby Jeremy09 » December 10th, 2018, 10:51 pm

Good day fellas.
I recently brought an xs power xp3000 new (6 months old) for the back and my AC delco front battery just went bad. Am getting a good deal with a vmax charge tank for the front used. I did some research and they say AGM is AGM battery so it shouldnt be a problem to mix but here is my problem, xp3000 rests at 12.7v and vmax rests at 13.8v.
Would this be a problem? Or dont take the deal...
Thanks

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Help...battery problem

Postby 88sins » December 11th, 2018, 8:15 am

if it were me I'd put the xp3000 in front & the vmax in the rear with a good capacitor & done there

Jeremy09
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Jeremy09 » December 11th, 2018, 8:25 am

88sins wrote:if it were me I'd put the xp3000 in front & the vmax in the rear with a good capacitor & done there
Xp cant take heat i think

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » December 11th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Parallel battery setups should always have the same quiescent voltages.

The charge circuit will see a voltage imbalance and likely overcharge the higher voltage battery.

The capacitor only acts as an additional source when there is a sudden voltage drop across the battery terminals.

The higher voltage battery will also discharge to the lower voltage battery unless separated by a relay circuit.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » December 11th, 2018, 8:45 pm

most 12v batt sit around 12.5-12.8 so how that vmax sitting at 13.8v unless its just come off a charger ?

different brands & ages of batts discharge differently , in a perfect world with $ as no object u wud start with 2 brand new batts of same kind & model at d same time ...

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » December 11th, 2018, 9:18 pm

Jeremy09 wrote:
88sins wrote:if it were me I'd put the xp3000 in front & the vmax in the rear with a good capacitor & done there
Xp cant take heat i think

can't insulate the battery bay from the heat of the engine? not much room?

adnj, proper adjustment of the voltage regulator to not exceed 14v would solve the overcharging imbalance issue, most vehicle batteries handle that easily. and a simple diode would resolve the flow/discharge problem.
the cap is just a safety to ensure the amps high draw on the secondary doesn't damage/drain the battery

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » December 11th, 2018, 11:18 pm

88sins wrote:proper adjustment of the voltage regulator to not exceed 14v would solve the overcharging imbalance issue, most vehicle batteries handle that easily. and a simple diode would resolve the flow/discharge problem.
the cap is just a safety to ensure the amps high draw on the secondary doesn't damage/drain the battery

Sorry but that is not the case.

Capacitors in a power circuit are used to smooth out voltage drop by virtue of the source/sink nature of the device. The purpose in car audio is actually to maintain voltage levels during heavy current draw (where battery voltage can drop to less than 10v) of the amplifier so that lights don't dim or vehicles electronics don't shut down.

The regulator circuit looks at both load and voltage. Adding a diode will introduce a 0.7v potential difference in the charge circuit which theoretically could be used to try to balance the battery potentials but would leave the lower voltage battery undercharged.

Trimming the voltage regulator to 14.0v introduces the problem of improper charging. All 12v automotive voltage regulators have a maximum output voltage of between 13.8v and 14.7v depending on manufacturer.

When a lead-acid battery is between about 50% and 90% of charge, typically a 14.2v to 14.7v input is used to help reduce/eliminate sulfation of the plates. Without the higher voltage charge plates lose capacity, swell and eventually short. An advantage of the voltage trimmed to the lower end is that you may reduce water loss.

The best solution is still likely to be batteries of matched voltages and types (age and capacity doesn't matter), wired in parallel with the additional battery isolated by a key-power activated relay.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » December 11th, 2018, 11:54 pm

Rovin's Audio wrote:most 12v batt sit around 12.5-12.8 so how that vmax sitting at 13.8v unless its just come off a charger ?

different brands & ages of batts discharge differently , in a perfect world with $ as no object u wud start with 2 brand new batts of same kind & model at d same time ...
I just did some reading about VMAXTANKS. They seem to be an AGM deep cycle battery. They should hold about 13 volts max open circuit and use a standard charge profile.

https://www.vmaxtanks.com/FAQ_ep_42.html

casper
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby casper » December 20th, 2018, 9:27 am

Vmax arent designed for engine bays. they cant handle excess exposure to heat.

the dealer for XS has the heat wrap selling so you should check him out...also mixing batteries of different brands, models, size, and age should always be avoided as if one battery is failing it could lead to damage of whatever other battery/ies are connected to it...if i were you i wouldve just run the XS with the heat wrap at the front and use that for bass and running the vehicle's electricals and run a separate run of power from the alt to the Vmax at the back for whatever mids amp/s u using

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”