TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Subwoofer for small space?

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

User avatar
Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 796
Joined: December 3rd, 2009, 5:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby Brian Steele » November 20th, 2018, 10:18 pm

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-au ... r--295-463

Should work quite well in a 0.6 cu.ft. sealed box. Well, you won't be knocking down any buildings with it, but predicted response curve looks nice for a car audio box...

2018-11-20.png

User avatar
Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 796
Joined: December 3rd, 2009, 5:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby Brian Steele » November 20th, 2018, 10:22 pm

kavaninho wrote:0.5xPi wouldn't be the space in this application?


Some people use 0.5PI modelling to get an idea of what the in-car SPL might be like. I prefer to stick to 2PI @ 2.83V for most of the models, for easy comparison with other modeling programs. As you can see below, switching to 0.5PI does not really emulate the 12dB/oct cabin gain at low frequencies that you'd get in many cars.

2018-11-20 (1).png

User avatar
Rovin
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6263
Joined: January 23rd, 2014, 1:14 pm
Location: Heart of Chaguanas ...

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby Rovin » November 28th, 2018, 11:03 am

so DJQ what d latest with this project ? ...

User avatar
DJ Q
punchin NOS
Posts: 3371
Joined: February 21st, 2007, 9:09 am
Location: Awesome

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby DJ Q » November 28th, 2018, 3:55 pm

Well I've decided to keep the ID 12
I've been looking at lots of videos on building enclosures using fiberglass, so it's just to get the materials and actually attempt it now.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 773
Joined: March 29th, 2008, 8:30 pm
Location: Gasparillo
Contact:

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby kavaninho » November 28th, 2018, 5:59 pm

DJ Q wrote:Well I've decided to keep the ID 12
I've been looking at lots of videos on building enclosures using fiberglass, so it's just to get the materials and actually attempt it now.


Tip: Use wood for flat panels to save time and materials.

User avatar
Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11381
Joined: March 30th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby Ted_v2 » November 28th, 2018, 6:14 pm

get advice for the proper mixing of materials.
heard a talk about adding cement to the mix .

User avatar
X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 9397
Joined: April 27th, 2003, 5:54 pm
Location: St. Augustine
Contact:

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby X_Factor » November 28th, 2018, 7:04 pm

shiloh in dinsley has the stuff...they also sell the appropriate fillers that would make the resin stronger

u can also use pva ( mould release coating on the surface

User avatar
nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller
Posts: 22439
Joined: July 31st, 2007, 2:27 pm
Location: The world is fl4t

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby nervewrecker » November 28th, 2018, 7:49 pm

X_Factor wrote:shiloh in dinsley has the stuff...they also sell the appropriate fillers that would make the resin stronger

u can also use pva ( mould release coating on the surface
I had better luck wuth automotive wax.

User avatar
Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS
Posts: 3885
Joined: July 1st, 2005, 11:11 am
Location: Second star to the right.

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby Strugglerzinc » October 31st, 2020, 9:58 pm

Bumping an ole thread

Need a recommendation for a sub that requires a small air volume, ideally 1 cuft or less as I like having trunk space and weight considerations because pretend racecar.

This will be for in car listening only, my bass preference is 40ish Hz for my ears, i'm thinking an 8" or possibly 10" with a 300-500 RMS amp just for headroom, not necessarily all the time. I do not know if ported can be done in that small volume, perhaps you can advise.

I've "heard from people" who are not experts that 8" subs do not go low although all i've seen are rated for 20Hz up but with no personal experience I simply do not know.

Budget is not overly important but I've set aside $3k for amp, sub and accessories, dunno if thats a realistic figure.

FB is rife with brands I've never heard of, some cheap and some not so much, Banda, Timpano, NVX, Soundigital etc. Nobody sells the good ole brands anymore?

User avatar
nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller
Posts: 22439
Joined: July 31st, 2007, 2:27 pm
Location: The world is fl4t

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby nervewrecker » October 31st, 2020, 11:16 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:Bumping an ole thread

Need a recommendation for a sub that requires a small air volume, ideally 1 cuft or less as I like having trunk space and weight considerations because pretend racecar.

This will be for in car listening only, my bass preference is 40ish Hz for my ears, i'm thinking an 8" or possibly 10" with a 300-500 RMS amp just for headroom, not necessarily all the time. I do not know if ported can be done in that small volume, perhaps you can advise.

I've "heard from people" who are not experts that 8" subs do not go low although all i've seen are rated for 20Hz up but with no personal experience I simply do not know.

Budget is not overly important but I've set aside $3k for amp, sub and accessories, dunno if thats a realistic figure.

FB is rife with brands I've never heard of, some cheap and some not so much, Banda, Timpano, NVX, Soundigital etc. Nobody sells the good ole brands anymore?


There is no replacement for displacement. Go with a 10" if you can and highest sensitivity as possible. I have appreciated the image dynamics so far. The ID version is 175 watts rms.

Also had pretty alright results with a loud force 10" sub in a sealed 1.2ft^3 box




User avatar
Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS
Posts: 3885
Joined: July 1st, 2005, 11:11 am
Location: Second star to the right.

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby Strugglerzinc » November 1st, 2020, 10:25 am

Since there is no port tuning, how does one ensure a sealed setup hits at the desired frequency?

User avatar
sMASH
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 17790
Joined: January 11th, 2005, 4:30 am

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby sMASH » November 1st, 2020, 11:24 am

notice in those vids that that sealed isnt that small. so it has more internal volume to allow better lower freqs.
u can fill with dacron or other fill to lower the frequency response.

but if u can do 1.25 cft, u could do a small ported enclosure to tune to hit a frequency. cause with sealed, u dont really 'hit a frequency', it gives u what u put in.

i saw an 8" in a ported box just under 1cu' and it hit the lows kinda good. but it would not be loud, but good for in car or washing car in the drive way.

User avatar
Rovin
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6263
Joined: January 23rd, 2014, 1:14 pm
Location: Heart of Chaguanas ...

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby Rovin » November 1st, 2020, 1:53 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:. FB is rife with brands I've never heard of, Nobody sells the good ole brands anymore?


being out here long i agree with u , yes i agree change\new is inevitable but i prefer time & tried traditions ... being a car audio shop owner i will get fightdown for expressing my thoughts but in my store i stick with known traditional brands

nervewrecker : There is no replacement for displacement


i agree with this ... besides flat subs , regular subs under 10" were made for absolute confined spaces when nothing taller or deeper cud have fit - aka when u really have no other choice

typical ported AVERAGE 8=1cuft & 10=1.5cuft , u can use pvc pipe to considerable save on space

for me personally 8s dont satify me, not all that in very low or loudness & dont tell me about some 50+hz scoop, t-line, horn or what else with more than 1 sub or big ass enclosure which defeats space savings & using over 1k rms per sub to get loud

OP spend some time going to reputable shops , taking to their owners & see if they have any demos ...

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 773
Joined: March 29th, 2008, 8:30 pm
Location: Gasparillo
Contact:

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby kavaninho » November 1st, 2020, 3:16 pm

Funny thing, I now installed a subwoofer in a small space!
A single JL audio TW1 10" in a precision ported enclosure behind the rear seat of a hilux. Net volume was under 1cuft and and was blown away with the amount output and the lower end.
This aint your ordinary "slim sub"

User avatar
Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS
Posts: 3885
Joined: July 1st, 2005, 11:11 am
Location: Second star to the right.

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby Strugglerzinc » November 1st, 2020, 3:25 pm

Rovin wrote:
Strugglerzinc wrote:. FB is rife with brands I've never heard of, Nobody sells the good ole brands anymore?


being out here long i agree with u , yes i agree change\new is inevitable but i prefer time & tried traditions ... being a car audio shop owner i will get fightdown for expressing my thoughts but in my store i stick with known traditional brands

nervewrecker : There is no replacement for displacement


i agree with this ... besides flat subs , regular subs under 10" were made for absolute confined spaces when nothing taller or deeper cud have fit - aka when u really have no other choice

typical ported AVERAGE 8=1cuft & 10=1.5cuft , u can use pvc pipe to considerable save on space

for me personally 8s dont satify me, not all that in very low or loudness & dont tell me about some 50+hz scoop, t-line, horn or what else with more than 1 sub or big ass enclosure which defeats space savings & using over 1k rms per sub to get loud

OP spend some time going to reputable shops , taking to their owners & see if they have any demos ...


Are flat subs able to give deep bass response as an alternative to conventional just for the space saving aspect? Eg a 12" flat vs a 10" conventional.

If I eventually do go ported then aeroports/pvc definitely for me. Seems much less complicated for DIY once correctly calculated.

User avatar
Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS
Posts: 3885
Joined: July 1st, 2005, 11:11 am
Location: Second star to the right.

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby Strugglerzinc » November 1st, 2020, 3:31 pm

kavaninho wrote:Funny thing, I now installed a subwoofer in a small space!
A single JL audio TW1 10" in a precision ported enclosure behind the rear seat of a hilux. Net volume was under 1cuft and and was blown away with the amount output and the lower end.
This aint your ordinary "slim sub"


I've been told by more than one people that JL Audio 10TW1 or TW3 will do what I want. Not sure if my budget covers JL though.

User avatar
Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 796
Joined: December 3rd, 2009, 5:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby Brian Steele » November 1st, 2020, 5:29 pm

Note that subwoofer efficiency at low frequencies is primarily a function of box size. Peak SPL at those frequencies will depend on the driver's excursion and power handling capabilities, how much power you have on tap and of course what sort of "cabin gain" you get in your car.

Given your situation, I'd look for a good 10 or even 12 inch driver whose parameters suggest that in a sealed box of the size you want to use, Fb works out to be around 40 Hz and as much power-handling that I can afford (and an amp to match, of course).

BTW, if you want to get up to an extra 3dB of output at low frequencies from a sealed enclosure (the equivalent of doubling amplifier power), look into "passively-assisted sealed alignments". :-)

User avatar
PariaMan
18 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2463
Joined: July 9th, 2010, 10:38 am

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby PariaMan » November 1st, 2020, 6:17 pm

You did yourself ?
kavaninho wrote:Funny thing, I now installed a subwoofer in a small space!
A single JL audio TW1 10" in a precision ported enclosure behind the rear seat of a hilux. Net volume was under 1cuft and and was blown away with the amount output and the lower end.
This aint your ordinary "slim sub"

User avatar
Rovin
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA
Posts: 6263
Joined: January 23rd, 2014, 1:14 pm
Location: Heart of Chaguanas ...

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby Rovin » November 1st, 2020, 7:12 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:
Rovin wrote:
Strugglerzinc wrote:. FB is rife with brands I've never heard of, Nobody sells the good ole brands anymore?


being out here long i agree with u , yes i agree change\new is inevitable but i prefer time & tried traditions ... being a car audio shop owner i will get fightdown for expressing my thoughts but in my store i stick with known traditional brands

nervewrecker : There is no replacement for displacement


i agree with this ... besides flat subs , regular subs under 10" were made for absolute confined spaces when nothing taller or deeper cud have fit - aka when u really have no other choice

typical ported AVERAGE 8=1cuft & 10=1.5cuft , u can use pvc pipe to considerable save on space

for me personally 8s dont satify me, not all that in very low or loudness & dont tell me about some 50+hz scoop, t-line, horn or what else with more than 1 sub or big ass enclosure which defeats space savings & using over 1k rms per sub to get loud

OP spend some time going to reputable shops , taking to their owners & see if they have any demos ...


Are flat subs able to give deep bass response as an alternative to conventional just for the space saving aspect? Eg a 12" flat vs a 10" conventional.

If I eventually do go ported then aeroports/pvc definitely for me. Seems much less complicated for DIY once correctly calculated.


cant really generalized it like that , have to do a specific sub box plot to say ..

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 773
Joined: March 29th, 2008, 8:30 pm
Location: Gasparillo
Contact:

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby kavaninho » November 2nd, 2020, 7:35 am

PariaMan wrote:You did yourself ?
kavaninho wrote:Funny thing, I now installed a subwoofer in a small space!
A single JL audio TW1 10" in a precision ported enclosure behind the rear seat of a hilux. Net volume was under 1cuft and and was blown away with the amount output and the lower end.
This aint your ordinary "slim sub"



Yup. Will share pics i recover from my SD card. (corrupted during project)

User avatar
VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 14668
Joined: May 1st, 2003, 10:23 am
Location: ☠☠☠

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby VexXx Dogg » November 2nd, 2020, 8:55 am

Strugglerzinc wrote:
kavaninho wrote:Funny thing, I now installed a subwoofer in a small space!
A single JL audio TW1 10" in a precision ported enclosure behind the rear seat of a hilux. Net volume was under 1cuft and and was blown away with the amount output and the lower end.
This aint your ordinary "slim sub"


I've been told by more than one people that JL Audio 10TW1 or TW3 will do what I want. Not sure if my budget covers JL though.


I went with the tw3 12" and was not disapointed one bit. 1cuft ported and it hits all the nice lows that I expect (and then some).

My last car I compromised and did a shallow RF p3 10 in a sealed enclosure and was not impressed.

If budget is hardlined, you might need to compromise some quality. If you really want great bass in a tight space, the JL is hard to beat.

User avatar
nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller
Posts: 22439
Joined: July 31st, 2007, 2:27 pm
Location: The world is fl4t

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby nervewrecker » November 4th, 2020, 9:44 pm

Brian Steele wrote:Note that subwoofer efficiency at low frequencies is primarily a function of box size. Peak SPL at those frequencies will depend on the driver's excursion and power handling capabilities, how much power you have on tap and of course what sort of "cabin gain" you get in your car.

Given your situation, I'd look for a good 10 or even 12 inch driver whose parameters suggest that in a sealed box of the size you want to use, Fb works out to be around 40 Hz and as much power-handling that I can afford (and an amp to match, of course).

BTW, if you want to get up to an extra 3dB of output at low frequencies from a sealed enclosure (the equivalent of doubling amplifier power), look into "passively-assisted sealed alignments". :-)


passive radiator?

seen them on parts express, amazon and fixmysub / psi car audio, heard a few decent systems with em. I think the portable JBL box thingy uses em.

User avatar
nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller
Posts: 22439
Joined: July 31st, 2007, 2:27 pm
Location: The world is fl4t

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby nervewrecker » November 4th, 2020, 9:47 pm

was doing some reading on woox technology as well

User avatar
OffshoreMarketing
I LUV THIS PLACE
Posts: 1016
Joined: May 17th, 2003, 12:24 am
Location: OM-TT.COM
Contact:

Subwoofer for small space?

Postby OffshoreMarketing » November 5th, 2020, 12:00 pm

Passive radiators around forever have them on my Polk audio systems from the 80s


check out the soundfire Sm-8 sub available at jdm master it’s a shallow mount 8” 300 rms nice output and response

User avatar
gtiracer
Street 2NR
Posts: 87
Joined: February 1st, 2005, 11:54 pm

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby gtiracer » November 5th, 2020, 12:15 pm

Have a cheaper option than the tw series.. not as flat but amazing sound. JL Audio 10W1V3-4 in Sealed Wedge Box with JL Grill.. $1400. Message if interested. You can demo and compare to TW3 since that is what i use now

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 773
Joined: March 29th, 2008, 8:30 pm
Location: Gasparillo
Contact:

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby kavaninho » November 5th, 2020, 12:19 pm

OffshoreMarketing wrote:Passive radiators around forever have them on my Polk audio systems from the 80s


check out the soundfire Sm-8 sub available at jdm master it’s a shallow mount 8” 300 rms nice output and response


Anybody in here uses soundfire, I'll like to know where they stand? Never heard a soundfire sub myself but this seems to be some mass alibaba buy that was brought in locally.

User avatar
nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller
Posts: 22439
Joined: July 31st, 2007, 2:27 pm
Location: The world is fl4t

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby nervewrecker » November 5th, 2020, 11:09 pm

OffshoreMarketing wrote:Passive radiators around forever have them on my Polk audio systems from the 80s


check out the soundfire Sm-8 sub available at jdm master it’s a shallow mount 8” 300 rms nice output and response


Correct is right, many owners had previously complained that they were short-changed on a system because they seeing what they thought was a sub but isn't a sub.

I see hybrid audio also introduce a set recently as well (flat subs).

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 773
Joined: March 29th, 2008, 8:30 pm
Location: Gasparillo
Contact:

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby kavaninho » November 6th, 2020, 10:09 pm

kavaninho wrote:
PariaMan wrote:You did yourself ?
kavaninho wrote:Funny thing, I now installed a subwoofer in a small space!
A single JL audio TW1 10" in a precision ported enclosure behind the rear seat of a hilux. Net volume was under 1cuft and and was blown away with the amount output and the lower end.
This aint your ordinary "slim sub"



Yup. Will share pics i recover from my SD card. (corrupted during project)


Unfortunately not much was recovered. See Below for Install Pics:
https://www.facebook.com/KRENTech/posts ... 4491134850

User avatar
Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 796
Joined: December 3rd, 2009, 5:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Subwoofer for small space?

Postby Brian Steele » November 7th, 2020, 12:48 am

nervewrecker wrote:passive radiator?


Nope. A passively-assisted sealed alignment is basically a sealed design with a large capacitor in series with the woofer. Choose the value of the capacitor right, and you can end up with a nice boost at low frequencies. It can also help to reduce the "boom" of a high-Q box (which is what can happen if you shoe-horn a driver into a small box). The disadvantage is a bit of loss in efficiency (not peak SPL output - that's set by Xmax), but power is cheap these days.

You can read more about the technique at the link below, where I provided a worked example (and I might actually end up building that example for a project that I'm considering at the moment).

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoof ... ments.html

User avatar
OffshoreMarketing
I LUV THIS PLACE
Posts: 1016
Joined: May 17th, 2003, 12:24 am
Location: OM-TT.COM
Contact:

Subwoofer for small space?

Postby OffshoreMarketing » November 8th, 2020, 5:36 am

kavaninho wrote:
OffshoreMarketing wrote:Passive radiators around forever have them on my Polk audio systems from the 80s


check out the soundfire Sm-8 sub available at jdm master it’s a shallow mount 8” 300 rms nice output and response


Anybody in here uses soundfire, I'll like to know where they stand? Never heard a soundfire sub myself but this seems to be some mass alibaba buy that was brought in locally.


I Use them all the time seeing that i am the dealer “mass alibaba buy “ seems to be the talk going around.
I will say this much they are built by the same factories that build for plenty of the “best” brands ppl praise here.

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests