TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Mazda BT-50 build. JBL, Hybrid audio, Image dynamics, Powerbass, XS power, Digital Designs

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: Mazda BT-50 build. JBL, Hybrid audio, Image dynamics, Powerbass, XS power, Digital Designs

Postby nervewrecker » August 22nd, 2018, 5:21 pm

Revised themImageImage

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: Mazda BT-50 build. JBL, Hybrid audio, Image dynamics, Powerbass, XS power, Digital Designs

Postby nervewrecker » August 22nd, 2018, 5:22 pm

Could look better but that kinda acceptable

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » August 22nd, 2018, 6:29 pm

hoss when the baffle goes over and door upholstery one will hav a clue how the hole was cut

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » August 22nd, 2018, 6:59 pm

Kinda affects me lol.
Just knowing I could have done it better..

casper
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby casper » August 22nd, 2018, 7:35 pm

Jack seeing that ur as OCD as me then take some foam tape and tape the edges as best as u can to sort of mask it...would also help create a proper seal for the speakers

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » August 22nd, 2018, 8:00 pm

The baffle will hide it but I like to know I did the best I can..

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » August 24th, 2018, 7:21 pm

Meanwhile, I recycled some baffles from the last ride. Routered them a bit to open the back and coated them in epoxy resin. Curing overnight here. Image

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » August 24th, 2018, 7:22 pm

Do ignore bottle of meth.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » August 25th, 2018, 3:34 pm

And now I have a cold solder on the amp. One channel not playing :(

Anyhow, did some work today, primed the metal

ImageImage

gave the baffles a second coat of resin and sprayed it with some underbody coating.
test fitted them before.

ImageImage

ImageImage

Trimmed the upholstery but I am weary about these. For some odd reason I feel they will hit the upholstery.

ImageImage

added a bit of foam insulation tape that HVAC techs use as a seal.

Woofers mountedImage
Last edited by nervewrecker on August 25th, 2018, 11:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » August 25th, 2018, 3:35 pm

dsgSbgsd
Last edited by nervewrecker on August 25th, 2018, 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » August 25th, 2018, 6:35 pm

dat undercoat looking like u roast he mc over some coals ... :lol:

daz some foam tape u used around d baffles ? ...

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » August 25th, 2018, 7:35 pm

Yup, same foam tape. Watching it on the PC and it does look like coal. :lol:

Now I will be without music for awhile because of this cold solder

:(

Also I am of the impression that speaker cant fit under there. Thinking I may need a metal baffle. 3/8" or something
Last edited by nervewrecker on August 25th, 2018, 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » August 25th, 2018, 11:33 pm

Midbass speakers playing more than what some men bass line cant play.
I have forgotten how amazing these sound. Have them a few years and they been just sitting around doing nothing. Decided to use them here.
Two quick vids.

Really sucks now that one channel on the amp does not play. Its the channel that goes to the right tweeter.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » August 26th, 2018, 12:49 am

How's your hp filter set for these?? I'm intrigued.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » August 26th, 2018, 12:53 am

50hz -24db slope, for daily without a sub.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 6th, 2018, 6:33 pm

So in order to make sure the upholstery clears the speakers...
Modelling clay.
Yes I had to trim the baffle to get the upholstery to fit..ImageImageImageImageImage

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 6th, 2018, 6:52 pm

Put on the upholstery and see if it leaves a dent in the clay.
No touching.
So the speaker wont hit..

adopson
Street 2NR

Postby adopson » September 9th, 2018, 11:46 pm

nervewrecker wrote:Heat shrink kit purchased from allied industrial, my next home

I put a little silicone on it prior to heat shrinking it. Helps with an air tight seal

ImageImageImageImage

Silicone is salt based and area will end up rusting due to moisture build up! You should have used white lithium grease

adopson
Street 2NR

Postby adopson » September 9th, 2018, 11:51 pm

nervewrecker wrote:And now I have a cold solder on the amp. One channel not playing :(

Anyhow, did some work today, primed the metal

ImageImage

gave the baffles a second coat of resin and sprayed it with some underbody coating.
test fitted them before.

ImageImage

ImageImage

Trimmed the upholstery but I am weary about these. For some odd reason I feel they will hit the upholstery.

ImageImage

added a bit of foam insulation tape that HVAC techs use as a seal.

Woofers mountedImage

Advice based on past experience ; never use a counter sunk type screw to mount a speaker unless it was designed for same mentioned screw to be used eg. Image dynamics woofers You can easily damage the speaker's basket

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 10th, 2018, 5:54 am

adopson wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:Heat shrink kit purchased from allied industrial, my next home

I put a little silicone on it prior to heat shrinking it. Helps with an air tight seal

ImageImageImageImage

Silicone is salt based and area will end up rusting due to moisture build up! You should have used white lithium grease
Thanks, will do them over.

The speakers too tall. Upholstery cant go back on. Looking to use some better screws too.
Got a piece of aluminium composite sheet to make a baffle out of courtesy NHM creations in Penal. Some badass metal fabrication going on by him.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 10th, 2018, 9:40 am

adopson wrote:
nervewrecker wrote:

Some silcone sealants are acidic and can cause mild corrosion during curing but I don't believe that salt has anything to do with it.

If you are trying to prevent terminal junction corrosion, you need what is called a gastight seal:

- Use a bare terminal only.
- Solder or crimp-and-solder terminations using rosin-core solder only.
- Cover the wire and terminal base using dual-wall heat shrink only.

Moisture trapped under the terminal cover and wicking can cause corrosion. Using acid-core solder will cause corrosion. Use a spray-on silicone lubricant (or lithium if you can stand the mess) to act as a sealant AFTER you have made your final connection.

Use the spray lubricant irrespective of how you terminate. The lubricant makes the junction hydrophobic and less likely to corrode. Depending on the location, materials, and the electrical system in question, Vasoline, dielectric grease and WD40 work very well, too.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » September 10th, 2018, 12:39 pm

There's a heat shrink tubing that we use with glue on the inside which melts and oozes out when the heat is applied. Have to order online though, kinda pricey.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 10th, 2018, 2:07 pm

kavaninho wrote:There's a heat shrink tubing that we use with glue on the inside which melts and oozes out when the heat is applied. Have to order online though, kinda pricey.
You might find it an electrical supply store.

Anands, Modern, Mepco, etc., all sell heatshrink by the foot.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » September 10th, 2018, 4:17 pm

I know self adhesive heat shrink is used mainly for marine applications where they have to deal with moisture and salt
isnt it a bit overkill for basic speaker termination?
once a decent quality wire was used and crimp/ solder done well the regular heat shrink wont work?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 10th, 2018, 6:04 pm

The silicone was really to keep moisture from getting in and corroding the wire inside the insulation. I the pastI have used heat shrink and found like it gets loose over time. Not sure how or why but first time I am using this set so not taking chances as this going to be all over and in any terrain..

Meanwhile the speakers still cant fit.
The upholstery is touching the speaker. Had to get something thinner to use. There is a fiberglass sheet at work but I cant loose my job for a piece of sheet.

Was conversing with abs off-road about getting a metal baffle cut from a guy that does metal work for him but some disgusting low life sewage discharge broke in the man place and stole a heap of stuff including the man plasma cutter. A f**king plasma cutter I saying here you know?

Made a turn yesterday to another dude thay does metal work in Goodman Trace penal (NHM creations). Does some nice metal bumpers for trucks and retrofits those BT50 and B2500 with IHI TD04 turbos upping the boost and making some insane power. He happened to have a piece of aluminium composite that he donated to a good cause (this build).ImageImageImageImage

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 10th, 2018, 6:24 pm

X_Factor wrote:I know self adhesive heat shrink is used mainly for marine applications where they have to deal with moisture and salt
isnt it a bit overkill for basic speaker termination?
once a decent quality wire was used and crimp/ solder done well the regular heat shrink wont work?
Dual-wall is used in any application where you want to slow fluid ingress or have a thicker wall for protection like on a sonically spliced cable. It is also required by code when splicing direct-bury electrical cable.

In my experience, a well done crimp (with the proper automotive terminal) or soldered connection is more than enough for almost any vehicle connection that is inside of the cabin.

If those speaker terminals are going outside the vehicle, a pigtail wire should be soldered to the speaker and the connection made with a submergible (not a typo) connector.

That said, build it how you like so long as it works properly. Or just build it again.

Most of the terminations that I am seeing are standard electrical panel terminals and not automotive terminals.

Automotive terminals crimp the wire and insulation separately and require a different crimping tool.ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by adnj on September 10th, 2018, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » September 10th, 2018, 7:01 pm

those were used in this install a few years ago
but even if I get those with the insulation attached I take them off and solder with heat shrink
1536620479840.jpeg
received_303964590336239.jpeg

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 10th, 2018, 7:48 pm

You are right adnj, those are terminals I use to do work in the field with. Wasnt aware there are different ones.
Will look into it or go the way x_factor did..
I prefer to build it proper the first time around and have no issues so the feedback and advice is very welcome by me and im sure anyone reading all this will appreciate it as well.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 13th, 2018, 10:48 pm

Picked back up my amp this evening. So weekend something will happen if I gave time.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 13th, 2018, 10:50 pm

Now they touch the glass..

ImageImageImageImage

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”