TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Trying My Hand at the Loud Thing..UPDATE #3 MORE PICS.

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

carfreak1024
I LUV THIS PLACE

Trying My Hand at the Loud Thing..UPDATE #3 MORE PICS.

Postby carfreak1024 » January 25th, 2014, 5:20 am

So after a while of driving around with my system things got boring and i decided i wanted to try something different and build something REALLY LOUD but not make the car useless in the process. I wanted to do this on the cheap too so i decided I would use mostly things that i have already and work from there.

System Configuration:

Front Stage:
(4) Faital Pro 6FE200.......Pair Per Door
(2) Faital Pro 3FE20
(2) Arc Audio ACS230

(1) American Bass PH4100FR playing the tweeters and Faital 3"
(1) Rockford Fosgate Punch150 25 To Life Edition Playing the 4 6"

BassLine:
(2) Titanium Power SD-1255SPL
(2) American Bass PH4000MD

Current and Installation Accessories:
All OFC KnuKonceptz Speaker and Power Wiring
Xscorpion Fused and Distribution Blocks
Esoteric Audio A5 RCA Cables
Streetwires Lugs
XS Power XP3000

All Installation work done by myself after classes.
First things first i wanted to the car to be loud but anyone that knows me will tell you that i really love the balanced sound of an SQ system and i have only ever heard about 3 gallery installs which sound somewhat to that effect. I wanted to sound like an SQ system but WAY louder. So looking over all the stuff I had I decided I had finally found a place to use those Faital Pro 3" that i bought a couple years ago when working at Kaizen and i needed to find a way to fit 4 6" Midbass upfront.

After doing some research i saw that there was this company called Jehnert out of Germany I believe that manufactures "door-boards" for the E90 BMW and thought that i would buy those but after hearing the $1200US pricetag it became a DIY project. So i ordered some 4 way stretch vinyl the color of the interior and went and bought some fiberglass cloth, some polyester resin, 2 cans of expanding foam, a quart of body filler and decided i was going to clone those.

So i molded the door and then cut out a rough shape of what i thought it looked like and then cut out the center of that and glued it back in to make a space for my grill which im going to make later. Pulled an old tshirt across it and resined and glassed it.

Then i bodyworked the panels and covered them in the vinyl, worked great.

Then laid down some black carpet so the speakers can make a nice seal with the panel as well as for the aesthetics until i get the material to make the grills in the mail.

Then i started on the amp rack. I laid out all of the RCAs and Power Wires and got an idea where the amps were going to go. These are the RCAs I used. Super cool RCA Cables and they are directional too which i thought was very cool and interesting. No Noise Period and a dead silent Noise Floor.

Then i tapped the Balanced Line Signal from the Unit and put some Female RCA ends on them which i bought from Centrex in Curepe. More than half the stuff in this car is from old systems in Trinidad, lol

Then i crimped the Ring Terminals using a 6 Ton Hydraulic Press. Easiest Job of doing these ever. The terminal literally slipped under the jacket and on top of the wire inside. Then into the Press it went.

Squeeze the sheit out of it and then put some heatshrink on it.

Then i ran all of the RCA and power cables under the "amp rack" and secured them so i wont have to worry about stuff sliding and moving around or wires coming out. I used tons of wire clamps and zip ties.

I used Barrier strips to connect all of the remote wires inputs and outputs. There are going to be 4 amps total in the system when its finished but i didnt have to use a seperate relay as the 3sixty.3 already has one built into it.

Proper Terminals Used for Everything as well. No shortcuts here.

Then after it was all wired i tie strapped all of the wires coming from into the cabin into their respective bundles.

You can see the hole cut into the backseat in this pic. Trim panel is being built for that this weekend.

Then amp rack was placed into car and speaker wires and current wires connected.

Image.

That is not the final resting place of the Rockford Amplifier. It will be mounted perpendicular to the other amps on an amp rack of its own centered in the trunk. But i have to build the subboxes first in order to minimize error and wastage when i build that second amp rack.

First Impressions:

I have achieved my goals with the soundstage for sure. Right now the Faital Pro 6" are playing from 73-1kHZ with an 18db slope, the 3" are playing from 1kHZ to 7kHZ with a 24db slope, then the tweeters are playing from 7kHz on up. The car literally sounds like a component set on steroids. It has a ton of mid bass and its shocking how loud those little 3" Faitals are. At first it sounded very tinny and flat but after some adjustment on just the time alignment the sound became full and rich and i haven't heard of any mid basses that kick like in my whether in an SQ or gallery car. I learned a ton from this install, but i will share later when i get some more time.

Ok So i have more pics and more progress made.

So i went to the local home depot and i got the pieces for the box cut up. Well most of them. The box is a weird shape. I designed it with a notch in it so it is 13" high from the front of the car going back 5" to clear the backdash and strut tower rear bracing in this car. Then it is 15" high going back. I could have made it 17" but it would never get into the car. As it is right now. It takes 4 guys and one girl pushing and tugging to get them in. Fits like a glove though.

Each box is ~2.0 cubic feet tuned to 33Hz. Volume is lower and port tuning is kinda higher than i am normally accustomed to, but it does drop decently low and is LOUD on just the single mono @ 0.5 ohm. FS on the speaker is 55Hz. I know people like to talk about tuning lower than FS. I tuned this sub to 28Hz before and it was the dreadest lows ive ever heard in my life.

Post box build backseat status.

This is the view from the hole i cut in the backseat. I may have to make this bigger. It was this way since i had the 1 12" in there.

There is like three quarters of an inch between the top of the sub backseat. It never touches and the box cannot go further in so it will never touch and cause damage to the suspension.

This is the trim piece i made for the arm rest fold down to cover the edges exposed from cutting the whole. While wrapping it the damn corner on the side ripped and i just got rell fedup and ripped all the leather off of it cuz i got frustrated. I will try again tomorrow with a clear head and see whats up.

This is what the trunk looks like currently. All the wiring is exposed in this picture because i have yet to make the trim panels for the install. I wanted to get that second bass amp in and mounted so that when time comes everything fits like it should and i don't have to take things in and out making room for things to get scratched up. As it sits nothing is permanently mounted except the center trunk trim piece with the american bass amps and rockford processor.

I want to try and make some more progress this week, but i have a philosophy paper due on friday, a circuits exam on thursday, and Saturday im having a birthday party so we'll see where the BMW fit in that week.

**********************************************************************************************

Okay so class got cancelled today and i run to try and do some more on the build!

I decided i going to try and make some of the trim panelling as i dont really have much else that i can do until the rest of the leatherette gets here and until the batteries get here. So i cut up some panels out of 3/4" MDF that would fit flush with either side of the trunk and go up high enough that you wouldnt see the space between the backdash and the panel itself.

Piece in the center was an extra piece i had leftover from the box. Perfect width not so much height.

Once all that was cut up, and I attached all of the pieces together and also mocked up the amp where it is supposed to sit. Then i attached all of the pieces from the front side so i can go about the next step.

Then i got the router out so i would be able to cut a trace in the MDF that was 3/8" of an inch deep and wide enough to house the Current Wires, the RCA Cables, and the Speaker Cables separately. This was done so that the amprack for the rockford could lay flat against the subboxes without pinching the wiring.

This is just so you guys can get an idea of what is supposed to look like because i wont be able to photograph how they lay behind these panels

All Done.

You can see i still have plenty meat for support. The trace is only halfway deep. Just deep enough for the wiring.

This was the only shot i could have gotten with the wire fitment.

Then i covered the pieces with what grey leatherette i had from the first batch. This matches the stock interior of the car exactly.

One of the Most Important tools in an installers toolbox.

And this is what it looks like now. I have to wait until the second order of leatherette arrives. I ordered that since last monday along with some new door panel clips and they both have yet to arrive. Kinda pissing me off but whatever. In this photo, everything that is upholstered is here to stay and everything not yet upholstered will be as soon as i get the material.

The next task on the list is to fabricate that right hand side trim panel which covers the battery because i have to make a huge bend in the MDF. I am going to do this in a method not many car audio installer use. my dad is a very skilled professional carpenter and this one, as well as a few other tricks i learned around the shop, allows one to bend a solid piece of MDF with absolutely no KERF cuts. Meaning it is stronger, less likely to break while working with it, and also just plain cool. More on that progress maybe end of the week or next week when i get more time to work on this bad boy.

So I was planning to do more work in the car over the weekend that passed but on my birthday last Friday a man in a civic run a 4way stop sign and sideswipe the whole side of the car. After the up and down with the police department to get a police report, getting the inspection done on the vehicle and so on I got absolutely no time to do any kind of work on the install. All I got time to do was install the 2nd mono and LED lights, and rewrap that panel between the seats. I hate working on the car when it damage like this so im gonna wait until it gets painted over before i start to finish up the install. He is saying that he was in the right as well so that is dragging on the process a lot longer than it is supposed to take. According to the insurance there is $2000+ in damages to the car and it is uncertain if they will pay considering the circumstances of who is wrong.

Anyways i getting to the fed up point now with the car so i going to give it a break until it is fixed.

Last edited by carfreak1024 on February 11th, 2014, 11:05 pm, edited 13 times in total.

meccalli
punchin NOS

Re: Trying My Hand at the Loud Thing..........

Postby meccalli » January 25th, 2014, 10:48 am

nice job! you're only brushing the capabilities of the 3fe20 by limiting em to 7k. I've modelled these in hornresp and gotten promising results down to 50hz in anticipation of a full range project.

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » January 25th, 2014, 10:54 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: cant wait to see the finished product....

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 25th, 2014, 10:56 am

Inside :D

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » January 25th, 2014, 2:34 pm

sheeeeeeeeeeit wtf @ the wiring

me likes

carfreak1024
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby carfreak1024 » January 25th, 2014, 2:56 pm

meccalli wrote:nice job! you're only brushing the capabilities of the 3fe20 by limiting em to 7k. I've modelled these in hornresp and gotten promising results down to 50hz in anticipation of a full range project.

That tune that i did on it was a single preset out of the 4 available to me. That specific tune is for a gallery type sound system. But what shocked me about the front stage was how well balanced the frequency response is without even touching the equalizer at all. Every single band is flat. I only played with the crossover points and time alignment to get the 8 speakers in phase and my God it sounds astonishing. I can only imagine what i can achieve within the realm of SQ when i tune for that type of listening. I wanted something that can do it all and i think i am coming in damn close.

I played a song coming home today from cleaning up the garage. Its called Crave You by Flight Facilities (Adventure Club Remix). With how the system is set up right now you can feel the midbass shake your chest and her voice is directly forward of me slightly to the right, not dead center on the dash, but again tuning is key there. Have to play around with left and right balances.

carfreak1024
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby carfreak1024 » January 25th, 2014, 3:03 pm

kavaninho wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: cant wait to see the finished product....

You...... I can barely wait. But I know I have a huge problem with rushing things when i get excited about it. So i am taking the laid back approach and doing things as I get enough time to do them properly. Like for instance the RCA cables came in two days before the wire clamps and I had to give my brother to hold them for me so i wouldnt try and do a fast thing.

carfreak1024
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby carfreak1024 » January 25th, 2014, 3:09 pm

ruffneck_12 wrote:sheeeeeeeeeeit wtf @ the wiring

me likes

Yeah I know i take my time with that one dred. I'm Electrical Engineering Student and don't quote me on this but I thought i remembered my teacher saying that the electric flux of a conductor is greatest perpendicular to the direction of the current flow so i took that into account when designing the amp rack and wiring routes...... if you notice the RCAs and the Power and remote wires all run parallel to one another when possible. That was done for that exact reason which is probably why i have no noise.

Also using differential balanced inputs and outputs throughout, directional RCA cables with class 3 shielding shielding which makes one channel as thick as 6 gauge wire could be part of it also. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

carfreak1024
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby carfreak1024 » January 25th, 2014, 3:10 pm

nervewrecker wrote:Inside :D

I lurk the forum from time to time and i saw that you did a build with fiberglass so i say i hadda do one too. lol

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 25th, 2014, 4:07 pm

Well glad I can be of some inspiration.

Just last night I demoed a system with some faital 4" mid and boy oh boy were they smooth and clean so I know what you describing as the sound.

Team2lo2flo
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby Team2lo2flo » January 26th, 2014, 1:08 pm

Nice....

carfreak1024
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby carfreak1024 » January 27th, 2014, 7:12 pm

Okay Fellas I want to find some place to mount the 2nd mono block. I knew i was going to run into this situation when building the system. lol. No place for amps lol.

My Thoughts:
I was thinking to do a plexiglass shelf on the top of the existing monoblock and put that mono on top of the one already in the car. Other than that i have no ideas, but i see the thread got like 200 views already so if 20 people see this and offer an idea or two i could maybe get something better.

PS: Bassline went into the car late last night. Did a fast tune on the 3sixty to adjust the crossover, slope, and time alignment. Less than ~1/4 Gain on the amp and it slaps. But i'm running the amp @0.5ohm now and while it has surprised me and hasn't gotten hot yet. I would like it to make it safer, more efficient, and LOUDER. lol. So Mono #2 has to go in.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: Trying My Hand at the Loud Thing...WANT SOME SUGGESTIONS

Postby nervewrecker » January 27th, 2014, 7:50 pm

Was wondering if that was a 3sixty.3

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » January 27th, 2014, 10:49 pm

Looking good! Nice wiring btw..

comphead

Postby comphead » January 28th, 2014, 12:40 am

dawg.. dem doors looking real neat but them speaker not good. Them amps are not the best either. In my 14 i running 4 Eminems Alpha 6inch, a boss 5000 mono, and a boss 4000 4 channel. and for the bass i running to sound stream xpro that hitting real hard, when u ready we could go soundoff.

3stagevtec
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 3stagevtec » January 28th, 2014, 12:43 am

comphead wrote:dawg.. dem doors looking real neat but them speaker not good. Them amps are not the best either. In my 14 i running 4 Eminems Alpha 6inch, a boss 5000 mono, and a boss 4000 4 channel. and for the bass i running to sound stream xpro that hitting real hard, when u ready we could go soundoff.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

uhhhhhhhh......

carfreak1024
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby carfreak1024 » January 28th, 2014, 1:20 am

3stagevtec wrote:
comphead wrote:dawg.. dem doors looking real neat but them speaker not good. Them amps are not the best either. In my 14 i running 4 Eminems Alpha 6inch, a boss 5000 mono, and a boss 4000 4 channel. and for the bass i running to sound stream xpro that hitting real hard, when u ready we could go soundoff.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

uhhhhhhhh......

Youth sounding like he is 14 not driving a 14!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kavaninho
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby kavaninho » January 28th, 2014, 8:44 am

i have 2 6" 18 songs recone and 2 bullit tweeetah and 1 12" funky pup for bass.. tell meh when to meet yuh by medford.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » January 28th, 2014, 7:14 pm

BWMC is this I reading here this hour the night? :lol:

wanted
Street 2NR

Re: Trying My Hand at the Loud Thing..UPDATE #1 MORE PICS.

Postby wanted » January 28th, 2014, 9:24 pm

Nice build Chris...like some people eh know you in Miami, they want to bang yuh out! I'm sorry you didn't get to hear my car for Christmas, maybe when you come back!

addie
3NE 2NR for life

Postby addie » January 28th, 2014, 9:51 pm

Car Freak keep up the work i like the use of the faitals

black start
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby black start » January 28th, 2014, 10:52 pm

nervewrecker wrote:

BWMC is this I reading here this hour the night? :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

comphead

Postby comphead » January 29th, 2014, 1:42 am

I calling out all allyuh with allyuh big music, meet me by the uwi doubles and whoever lose have to buy me a doubles and give me one speaker of my choice from your car and if i lose ummmm i will give you a ring terminal or a red solo or two zipties from bhagwansingh so allyuh know that real bess

comphead

Postby comphead » January 29th, 2014, 1:44 am

kavaninho wrote:

i have 2 6" 18 songs recone and 2 bullit tweeetah and 1 12" funky pup for bass.. tell meh when to meet yuh by medford.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

i would prefer not to meet by medford gas station but by uwi doubles, read my other post and thats the prizes

comphead

Postby comphead » January 29th, 2014, 1:47 am

addie wrote:Car Freak keep up the work i like the use of the faitals

Faitals is not good speakers, dawg allyuh anything about music, is all about eminems and a drop low b14 with small 15" rims. And 2 soundstream xpro 12 for a real big bass and audiopipe wire. a next good 6 inch is the power acoustic and dem,

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: Trying My Hand at the Loud Thing..UPDATE #2 MORE PICS.

Postby nervewrecker » January 29th, 2014, 5:27 am

comphead wrote:
addie wrote:Car Freak keep up the work i like the use of the faitals

Faitals is not good speakers, dawg allyuh anything about music, is all about eminems and a drop low b14 with small 15" rims. And 2 soundstream xpro 12 for a real big bass and audiopipe wire. a next good 6 inch is the power acoustic and dem,

Have to be a troll

Aaron 2NR
2NR phototakerouter

Postby Aaron 2NR » January 29th, 2014, 2:24 pm

that wiring dawg...... :|

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » January 29th, 2014, 7:17 pm

lol, doh study comphead

carfreak1024
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby carfreak1024 » February 1st, 2014, 4:08 am

So hit a roadblock last night with the install.

I was getting an issue with the 3sixty.3 going into protection mode. I did some research and the issue i was getting was very similar to a power supply failure issue which seemed very strange to me seeing as though nothing was "jerry rigged" or anything. The 3sixty.3 would turn on and the light would go from solid white which it is supposed to be to a solid red which is bad after turning up the volume to around half way. I have to guess as the BMW Professional HU does not have volume values. It just goes up and down.

So I did some diagnostics of my own and I found that the voltage coming out of the factory remote wire is only 11.2 volts when music is not playing and the car is running and it dips down to 9 volts with the music playing at ~half way up. Now while i know the current system in the car needs to be upgraded and i plan to do that very soon, i realized that that was not the problem because while the music was being played the battery fluctuated between 13.4-14.8 volts or somewhere there abouts. So I "jerry-rigged" a constant remote wire directly from the battery and played the system close to where full tilt is at the moment with the current electrical system as it is. "gains on bass amps at 1/8" and everything else set properly according the voltage of the processor and it all works fine.

What I have to figure out now is what is causing the remote wire voltage to drop down. I know it isn't shorting off anywhere or anything but i have no idea what is going on. The only thing off of that remote is the 3sixty.3 everything else is connected to the remote output of the 3sixty.3. I have a relay and harness that i bought in anticipation of this sort of thing and I know that that will fix the problem but i see it as a bandaid to a different problem rather than a complete fix.

More on the issue as i troubleshoot further.

carfreak1024
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby carfreak1024 » February 1st, 2014, 4:14 am

Aaron 2NR wrote:that wiring dawg...... :|

I am rell proud of it too.

Ask Jeff and the other tuners that saw my previous install in my Honda. It literally looked like a multicolored macaroni pie. But i stepped up the game this time as I'm driving a car that is alot nicer, and i am spending some hard earned cash that i would really hate to see go up in smoke because of something so correctable as bad wiring.

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”