Forums

Dsp or headunit?

(I.C.E.)In Car Entertainment - Mobile Audio and Video

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Dsp or headunit?

Postby X_Factor » June 2nd, 2023, 1:20 pm

Dave wrote:Subject to correction but good car audio equipment and a good source reduces the need for processing?
Note car audio equipment!

I would agree when dsp's were at least $2500 and up
When you had units such as the 80prs, alpine 9887 and the clarion sq head unit

but now good head units are costly and dsp's are cheap with basic units having loads of features compared to a head unit costing 2k-2.5k

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » June 2nd, 2023, 1:44 pm

Rovin wrote:^^^ dave i could agree with that, a good capable deck with 4-5v 3 rca out, 13 band eq, time alignment, crossovers with 2db slope etc & some good amps too, yes good music source not no YT or 128 crap

smash & ruffneck_12 yall sounding like some customers who does want to put pro audio speakers in car & car equipment in house , does hear dem saying "ah buy 12v adapter" most of d times a 10A for small $ but they not even thinking about d 10A fuse rating alone of a deck & they want put a amp, pre or cross too .

When u try to explain they barely understanding how it will need a powerful enough\expensive 12v power supply or a car batt & charger that cud easily cost 1500-2000, they does jes turn way away either disappointed or feel is crap i telling them

they jes want some loud noise so when u tell them why dont u buy a 15" self powered box for around $1800 with everything u need built in & cost way less, they feel like nah boi d car setup is what they have in mind even though it will far exceed d cost ...

I actually built a 12V power supply the other day from a UPS transformer so suck ittttttttt :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Measured it with a cheapo clamp meter, gives out 30A at absolute short circuit.
Used a bunch of shottkey diodes as a rectifier and it doesn't even break a sweat.
Then there's about 37600uF of capacitors to smooth things out.

Can legit run a small amp and helped to crank my car at one point (battery was just half dead but not fully cranking)

Me and sMash is some educated crackheads inno, doh get tie up :lol:

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » June 2nd, 2023, 2:16 pm

2 of u = pointdexter dorks .... :lol:

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » June 2nd, 2023, 2:25 pm

we should really collab a day

And just make an insanely good SQ vehicle with pyramid amps and zebra speakers, and coat hangers for wires

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » June 2nd, 2023, 2:30 pm

I see Arc audio have a nice small one, you can hide it anyplace in the vehicle.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » June 2nd, 2023, 7:39 pm

Rovin wrote:^^^ dave i could agree with that, a good capable deck with 4-5v 3 rca out, 13 band eq, time alignment, crossovers with 2db slope etc & some good amps too, yes good music source not no YT or 128 crap

smash & ruffneck_12 yall sounding like some customers who does want to put pro audio speakers in car & car equipment in house , does hear dem saying "ah buy 12v adapter" most of d times a 10A for small $ but they not even thinking about d 10A fuse rating alone of a deck & they want put a amp, pre or cross too .

When u try to explain they barely understanding how it will need a powerful enough\expensive 12v power supply or a car batt & charger that cud easily cost 1500-2000, they does jes turn way away either disappointed or feel is crap i telling them

they jes want some loud noise so when u tell them why dont u buy a 15" self powered box for around $1800 with everything u need built in & cost way less, they feel like nah boi d car setup is what they have in mind even though it will far exceed d cost ...
Keep yuh Blasted ole deck!!
IMG_20230602_193904.jpg

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » June 2nd, 2023, 7:44 pm

But srs, i wanted to use a lifepo4 power bank. To try to get accustomed to that technology.
I remember i have a smsll amp, so will use thst instead.

But is really just a lil boom box i doing, as i might hadda be in the land fur extensive periods and still want a lil bass rumbke. deck power will be good enough, as i set off alarm with the two rear channel off s pio already.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » June 2nd, 2023, 7:53 pm

Dave wrote:Subject to correction but good car audio equipment and a good source reduces the need for processing?
Well, if u get ur response with the equipment, and the cabin, well lucky u.

But if u can't build ue enclosure as is required to output ss u need, u might need to tweak the eq.
If u step up to different drivers, crossovers might start to be necessary for safety.
And if u want alignment, then Yada yada yada.

The use case determines the complexity.

But, i have a padnah, they put one soundstream in dash eq to drive the high pass, and another to drive the low pass.
It sounds good, so i ain't butt in no 2cents.

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » June 2nd, 2023, 7:59 pm

sMASH wrote:

But srs, i wanted to use a lifepo4 power bank. To try to get accustomed to that technology.
I remember i have a smsll amp, so will use thst instead.

But is really just a lil boom box i doing, as i might hadda be in the land fur extensive periods and still want a lil bass rumbke. deck power will be good enough, as i set off alarm with the two rear channel off s pio already.

Lithium pack, Brazilian micro amp and Bluetooth receiver and u bad for days.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » June 2nd, 2023, 8:05 pm

I was justtttt on the book of faces
IMG_20230602_200343.jpg

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » June 3rd, 2023, 11:39 am

ah keepin meh ole deck til it stop wukkin

jes get 1 of dem a lil portable 2 speaker boombox instead of wasting time\$ ...

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » June 3rd, 2023, 12:36 pm

I wah try out building the lifepo4 batteries.

And i have s psir of powerful 6x9, and the small amp... So might was well.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » June 3rd, 2023, 2:59 pm

Sorry bro, but the environment inside of a vehicle is anything but ideal. Once you know what you doing with a DSP the results will be remarkable. I have used DSPs since 2013 or thereabouts and would only use a deck for media transport.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » June 6th, 2023, 8:13 am

Rovin wrote:ah keepin meh ole deck til it stop wukkin

jes get 1 of dem a lil portable 2 speaker boombox instead of wasting time\$ ...

Where's the fun in that :wink:

DIY makes life fun, it's the process of learning and accomplishment. Come on maneeeee

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » June 6th, 2023, 1:06 pm

been there done that ... i use to tinker with all kinda crap trying to save $ or u didnt have $ in younger days so u rake\scrape all kinda stuff to make up something

jes like on d car side u have d "built not bought" guys vs d guys who bought a factory original fast car - both sides feel theirs better than d other, i doh really care cause i not into that scene & me eh beatin up : ppl free to do anything as they please ... :|

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » June 6th, 2023, 1:47 pm

Same thinking here. Built is fur young, bought fir who jess want production.

Was gonna buy a small bt ting from courts, but i see d deck, I remember i had them 6x9 doing nutten, and wanted to get some experience with the lifepo4 tech.

I have a small amp, so the only thing I really hadda buy is the battery part.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » June 6th, 2023, 3:58 pm

At the same time too, with bluetooth speakers you need to shell out some big bucks to get the ones that sound good.

JBL stuff honestly WET, I have one of the small GO's and that have good 'SQ' , a nice balanced sound with the illusion of bass. But to get louder than that runs you into the thousands with the larger boxes.

JBL had one aptly named the Boombox, that one cuda PONG dread, even on battery.

Vs less than $1000 for a free deck from Rovin (hopefully), some old speakers and good batteries. You can go crazy with the box size since shipping costs aren't a factor, and get some decent bass.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » June 6th, 2023, 4:45 pm

The ones in coyrts, the kinda bigger ones, sound decent enough for the price.
I not no sq man. Only really need a lil Ground Report with Andy pitbull Williams, and some edm after.

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » June 7th, 2023, 7:59 am

sMASH wrote:The ones in coyrts, the kinda bigger ones, sound decent enough for the price.
I not no sq man. Only really need a lil Ground Report with Andy pitbull Williams, and some edm after.

well bess you buy a small Argom tech speaker from a random computer store for $200 :lol:

(also steve's has a 8inch bluetooth monitor for $375 right right now)

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » June 7th, 2023, 11:50 am

Where d fun in dst...

jackal
Riding on 18's

Postby jackal » February 9th, 2024, 5:45 pm

I end up getting an Expert connect, 8 channel. Had that hooked up in a CRV.

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”