TriniTuner 24-7

Re: SQ songs?

Postby X_Factor » February 22nd, 2022, 12:59 pm

Search up syntha-wave music...some really nice stuff

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 22nd, 2022, 1:50 pm

music like what he & others doing is called SYNTHWAVE or RETROWAVE, they prolly realise ppl fed up of all d modern crap music so they tryin a ting to be different

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthwave

me if i feel for 80s i listen to actual music made in d 80s, there is plenty quantity to not get tired of hearing

i dont care what experts might say but for me personally i dont consider totally electronically only made music to be "SQ" yes some are creative\fascinating but i prefer all actual instruments .... :|

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 22nd, 2022, 1:51 pm

damn i didnt realise xfactor posted b4 me cause i had this tab remain open while i was doing work ...

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » February 22nd, 2022, 3:34 pm

I listening lofi and synthwave for a long while now.Most of that can't be considered true sq , as they are mostly digital except for the vocals.The song Steele posted had some elements of a good sq song , namely good staging and directionality between the vocals and the cymbals.

Imo, synthwave is just easy listening, not necessarily sq.
I would rate genres with more live instruments as sq.
Check out some shoegaze for a good mixture of both.
https://youtu.be/gwgq-IWtcPE
Just an example

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » February 22nd, 2022, 5:20 pm

timelapse wrote:I listening lofi and synthwave for a long while now.Most of that can't be considered true sq , as they are mostly digital except for the vocals.

Psst...that's basically all songs these days -they are mostly digital. Hell, even most recorded vocals are digitally processed. Think that's a real violin that you're listening to? Joke yuh making. Even if it was, the sound from that violin has likely been processed so much to sound pleasing within a particular frequency bandwidth and dynamic range that does it really matter again that the sound originated from an instrument or a computer?

Wikipedia has a nice definition for a SQ recording - "The sound quality of a reproduction or recording depends on a number of factors, including the equipment used to make it, processing and mastering done to the recording, the equipment used to reproduce it, as well as the listening environment used to reproduce it. In some cases, processing such as equalization, dynamic range compression or stereo processing may be applied to a recording to create audio that is significantly different from the original but may be perceived as more agreeable to a listener."

Only place they went wrong is using the word "some" in that last sentence. Because IMO that happens in the vast majority of cases :)

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 22nd, 2022, 6:29 pm

besides going to a live event to see\hear\listen to actual instruments & musicians in front of us well we have to settle for d next best thing which is recorded studio music hopefully not messed with too much by music producers ...

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » February 22nd, 2022, 6:34 pm

The Manhattans kiss and say goodbye
Elton John sacrifice
Sam Cooke a change is gonna come
Alan Jackson remember when
George Michael careless Whisper

Just some of the songs I enjoy.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » February 22nd, 2022, 7:49 pm

rollingstock wrote:The Manhattans kiss and say goodbye
Elton John sacrifice

Oho, you is ah 80's boy like Rovin

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » February 22nd, 2022, 8:02 pm

Brian Steele wrote:
timelapse wrote:I listening lofi and synthwave for a long while now.Most of that can't be considered true sq , as they are mostly digital except for the vocals.

Psst...that's basically all songs these days -they are mostly digital. Hell, even most recorded vocals are digitally processed. Think that's a real violin that you're listening to? Joke yuh making. Even if it was, the sound from that violin has likely been processed so much to sound pleasing within a particular frequency bandwidth and dynamic range that does it really matter again that the sound originated from an instrument or a computer?

Wikipedia has a nice definition for a SQ recording - "The sound quality of a reproduction or recording depends on a number of factors, including the equipment used to make it, processing and mastering done to the recording, the equipment used to reproduce it, as well as the listening environment used to reproduce it. In some cases, processing such as equalization, dynamic range compression or stereo processing may be applied to a recording to create audio that is significantly different from the original but may be perceived as more agreeable to a listener."

Only place they went wrong is using the word "some" in that last sentence. Because IMO that happens in the vast majority of cases :)
I do studio recording off and on.I know lots of the tricks used, and can usually tell how they do it.Sometimes it so low tech you wouldn't believe it.
https://youtu.be/J46sRuj99Cw

Slight reverb and analog delay through a tube amp.The tambourine under his foot when he taps.Nothing digital about this

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 22nd, 2022, 11:39 pm

just a side track from d topic here but see how basic & simple catchy popular music can be made in a matter of minutes, its not dead exact notes i guessing because of copyright reasons he wont match it perfectly .... of course music producers wud spend hrs tweaking & fine tuning d final product but u get d gist

Brian Steele
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Brian Steele » February 23rd, 2022, 12:23 am

Doing it - 4 minutes.

KNOWING what to do in order to do it - how long it took to learn that?

Reminds me of the old Engineer joke - the one where the engineer charged 50c to put a chalk mark where the problem was on the equipment, and another $9,999.50 for knowing where to put it... :-)

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » February 23rd, 2022, 7:37 am

Theres a book called 'The Addiction Formula' .An absolute must for pop producers.
It is that easy Steele, once you have basic music knowledge

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » February 23rd, 2022, 7:56 am

timelapse wrote:
rollingstock wrote:The Manhattans kiss and say goodbye
Elton John sacrifice

Oho, you is ah 80's boy like Rovin

I eh no spring chicken.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 23rd, 2022, 11:08 am

"The Manhattans kiss and say goodbye" is 70s , 76 to be exact , sam cook song is mid 60s too

all nice songs when u by urself listening

my songs variety listening ranges from 50s to now, if i had to pick a favorite decade it wud be 70s, as fun\good as d 80s are IMO 70s had more heart, soul, creativity, talent & depth that time was known for

going back even waaaay further i have listened to classical music originating in 1600 from all d great composers whose music is still being used today just ppl dont know it goes back that far

u dont have to be a grandpa to appreciate old time music ... 8-)

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » February 23rd, 2022, 4:20 pm

Rovin wrote:
my songs variety listening ranges from 50s to now, if i had to pick a favorite decade it wud be 70s, as fun\good as d 80s are IMO 70s had more heart, soul, creativity, talent & depth that time was known for

I agree with you there

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » February 24th, 2022, 7:47 am

rollingstock wrote:
Rovin wrote:

I agree with you there
Did either of you rock a John Travolta Grease suit back in the days?

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » February 24th, 2022, 9:47 am

I had the brush back hairstyle and a black leather jacket, so maybe :lol:

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 24th, 2022, 10:18 am

lol i had longish hair in my youth days, i old but not so ancient , dat sounding like in zoom rader & bluefete time .... :mrgreen:

threeplumes
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby threeplumes » March 1st, 2022, 8:19 am

I tunes ALAC 24bit 192khz FTW

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 18th, 2023, 2:54 pm

wow a whole year passed without any posts

something very different & take a listen to other songs she has ...

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » March 20th, 2023, 7:57 am

Rovin wrote:wow a whole year passed without any posts

something very different & take a listen to other songs she has ...

FIrst time I heard this song was on a Pure Moods cd. THe other songs on this album very good for SQ as well.
https://www.discogs.com/release/556895- ... e-Moods-II

The whole pure moods collection just top notch
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Moods

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » March 20th, 2023, 1:30 pm

^^^ yes good stuff indeed

good to see at least 1 other person on here knows\appreciates songs like these .... "e bounce"

it falls into d category of new age music which by definition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New-age_music

New-age is a genre of music intended to create artistic inspiration, relaxation, and optimism. It is used by listeners for yoga, massage, meditation,[1] and reading as a method of stress management[2] to bring about a state of ecstasy rather than trance,[3][4] or to create a peaceful atmosphere in homes or other environments. It is sometimes associated with environmentalism and New Age spirituality;[5][1] however, most of its artists have nothing to do with "New age spirituality", and some even reject the term.

New-age music includes both acoustic forms, featuring instruments such as flutes, piano, acoustic guitar and a wide variety of non-Western acoustic instruments, and electronic forms, frequently relying on sustained synth pads or long sequencer-based runs. Vocal arrangements were initially rare in the genre, but as it has evolved, vocals have become more common, especially those featuring Native American-, Sanskrit-, or Tibetan-influenced chants, or lyrics based on mythology such as Celtic legends.[6][7][8][9]

There is no exact definition of new-age music.[7] An article in Billboard magazine in 1987 commented that "New Age music may be the most startling successful non-defined music ever to hit the public consciousness".[10] Many consider it to be an umbrella term[11] for marketing rather than a musical category,[8][12][13] and to be part of a complex cultural trend.[14]

for me i simply find its sounds like nothing else & even though some consider it to be soft music : i dont play it softly & i sometimes even play it in public in front my store ...

Advertisement

Return to “I.C.E. / Car Audio Tech”