TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Mud flaps/guards for abs wheel sensor errors?

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Mud flaps/guards for abs wheel sensor errors?

Postby aaron17 » December 2nd, 2022, 7:12 pm

I would like to know if mud guards can protect abs sensors from being needed replaced. Cause every time I have to replace it. Where I traverse daily and park , the roads in the area have dust and they does stockpile sand . Also has big trucks that store containers. The trucks does raise alot of dust and they does flood easily..hence mud. Abs can't be cleaned . Only way is to replace with new ones and car does be undriveable. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: Mud flaps/guards for abs wheel sensor errors?

Postby 16 cycles » December 9th, 2022, 5:20 pm

Use a di-electric grease to help prevent contamination.

Milspec the harness? Not sure if a rubber boot can be used at connect point but OEM should be water proof

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » December 11th, 2022, 11:07 am

Should this grease be applied yearly?

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » May 24th, 2023, 10:40 am

Do you think the wheel/ rim is the cause? I have fine multispoked rims and maybe its not blocking the elements . Maybe a need a normal five star wheel?

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » July 22nd, 2023, 8:07 pm

I do live in a dusty environment and does flood all the time. I am living by truck companies that transport and the problem is that is constant dust that is always raised in the area. Its disgusting, healthwise etc. My family has other Japanese vehicles and nothing happens to them. ( 9 times this failure happened and it almost got me in accidents). Need a vehicle to operate in a dusty environment. It is costly to replace and the hassle is ridiculous.

https://www.autoguru.com.au/repairs/abs-wheel-speed-sensor-replacement/volkswagen
Attachments
Capture.JPG

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 22nd, 2023, 9:16 pm

You stated in another thread that you planned to clean the ABS reluctor rings at each wheel. Has that occured, yet?

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » July 23rd, 2023, 10:20 am

adnj wrote:You stated in another thread that you planned to clean the ABS reluctor rings at each wheel. Has that occured, yet?
Oh next week .. i will let them check it when i doing a full service of oil change etc..
Yuh know..i checked a place that specialize in euro vehicles by south park. They say it need a full diagnose to see why it doing that. And the quote is $3000 . Hmmm.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 23rd, 2023, 10:27 am

aaron17 wrote:
adnj wrote:You stated in another thread that you planned to clean the ABS reluctor rings at each wheel. Has that occured, yet?
Oh next week .. i will let them check it when i doing a full service of oil change etc..
Yuh know..i checked a place that specialize in euro vehicles by south park. They say it need a full diagnose to see why it doing that. And the quote is $3000 . Hmmm.
You can clean the rings at home, if you are so inclined. You will need to jack up the wheel and remove it, remove the sensor, and use a small pick and compressed air to blow out the ring.

Expect to spend about one hour on each wheel.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » July 23rd, 2023, 2:43 pm

The only way to know if the rings are bad is to take out the wheel?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 23rd, 2023, 3:39 pm

aaron17 wrote:The only way to know if the rings are bad is to take out the wheel?

You will need to inspect the ring by looking at it through the sensor mounting location. The rings don't typically go bad but they can load up with dirt and debris.

Since the sensor looks at the gaps in the metal ring to detect movement, the debris, if there is any, must be removed and the sensor to ring clearance should be maintained. The rings should have been cleaned when the sensor was replaced.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » July 23rd, 2023, 4:19 pm

Since it floods most of the time in areas, should I get these rings cleaned at intervals like every 3 months? I was reading other manuals that if working in a dusty environment , you should change your oil frequently as well. idk if that is related.
Frequent maintenance due to hostile environmental conditions.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » July 23rd, 2023, 4:36 pm

aaron17 wrote:Since it floods most of the time in areas, should I get these rings cleaned at intervals like every 3 months? I was reading other manuals that if working in a dusty environment , you should change your oil frequently as well. idk if that is related.
Frequent maintenance due to hostile environmental conditions.
Perhaps start by inspecting the rings, cleaning them and then determining if that addresses the problem.

After that, maybe inspecting and cleaning the rings every other time that you rotate your tires.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » July 23rd, 2023, 7:39 pm

ok cool thanks

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”