TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Electric scooter / motorized bike legal in Trinidad?

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

fds-fx
Street 2NR

Electric scooter / motorized bike legal in Trinidad?

Postby fds-fx » November 9th, 2016, 7:11 pm

Good night Tuners, does anyone know what the legal requirements are with respect to using Electric Bikes or Electric scooters in Trinidad. I have been brainstorming and building a parts list for a personal project for an electric short range form of transport. At first I was considering a motorized go ped as I would like something I can store at home with absolutely no space reduction which is already limited, I then played with the thought of an electric skateboard as it can be held in the event of rain to travel, but my skateboarding skills are ... lets just say non existent (I actually went and got a skateboard to practice so this may be the main option by next year end should my competence reach usable level).

Electric bike, pros - Faster than the board and ability to carry more items, already own a bike so a simple bike hub or friction drive attachment and esc + control from hobby website readily available and I on.

Electric scooter - I'm a hobby fabricator so frame and wheels already available material wise, and same friction drive concept for bike would just be transferred.

What I don't want is I hit the main road and police / license officers put me through a setta stress, as I am aware of a guy having his bike with a wacker motor impounded.

What you guys think? Any advice?

EcoTune Trinidad
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: Electric scooter / motorized bike legal in Trinidad?

Postby EcoTune Trinidad » November 10th, 2016, 5:45 am

First bit of advice...do not post your business ideas on this forum...alot of copycats here who can jump at your idea before you do...

Ruff
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Ruff » November 10th, 2016, 11:37 am

fds-fx wrote:I am aware of a guy having his bike with a wacker motor impounded.

There lies your answer.

baigan
Riding on 16's

Postby baigan » November 11th, 2016, 12:04 am

You can get a boosted board, it's an electric skateboard, and a lot of fun. I first saw it on a YouTube video with this vlogger named Casey. Seemed cool so I got one, it goes pretty quick too. I get about 6 1/2 - 7 miles of range out of it and it goes about 20mph as a max speed. Only prob is it's a bit pricey but I think it's worth it.

I use an electric bicycle on the roads at times when I wanna go for a nice cruise rather than use my road bike for exercise, I've never had a problem with police so far. They've seen me use it multiple times and nothing. Of course I don't ride in the middle of the lane as you would with a motorcycle or car, I keep to the far left near the pavement with both the electric bike and boosted board just as I would with my ordinary bicycle.

fds-fx
Street 2NR

Postby fds-fx » November 13th, 2016, 6:15 am

Thanks @EcoTune Trinidad. It wasn't really a business idea, It is more of a hobby inspired idea as I have fabricated bike trailers and trolleys for simple home use and personal use that was outside the norm and turned out to be quite a nice experience. @Ruff the reason I have to ask is I know any vehicle with a "Gasoline" motor requires license etc.. This is however regarding the legality of electric scooters like those kid scooters for use as simple short distance modes of transport. @biagan, I am aware of the boosted board and similar uses hence why I mentioned it as being a possible option in the future as I am currently learning to skate, and thanks for the pointers on riding with the electric bike as I am also a biker and scooter rider who has to make use of the nearest point to the shoulder when on a less than capable vehicle lol. I am looking at readily available options like the air wheel or similar for some alternates, even the hoverboard as long as it doesn't blow up.

sentinel
Riding on 13's

Postby sentinel » January 15th, 2018, 10:29 am

https://www.facebook.com/E-Bike_TT-100634243943332/

If you are still interested in E-bikes / conversion kits, we have some in stock and can custom build based on your needs.
They cannot be ridden legally on public roads in T&T.

They are for off-road/ Trails.

Pablo660
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Pablo660 » October 26th, 2020, 4:26 pm

Ok 2020 and companies like zero and Harley ebikes
What’s the procedure to bring one in and get it on the road ?
Thanks

NathanielSmall19
Riding on 13's

Postby NathanielSmall19 » December 22nd, 2020, 3:26 pm

Yeah but would you have to register them ?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » October 28th, 2021, 9:43 am

Bumping here for a professional question(s).

Anyone knows who would be the best person to speak to in MOWT on electric powered, two wheeled mobility device? It contains a seat and no pedals (solely electric powered) so its neither a scooter or an ebike.
I have a questions/concern on its legality as per the RTA i.e where does it fall?

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”