TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

TriniGT's Project R32 GTR - Fuel Setup On The Way!!!

Automotive Non-Technical topics... Just anything car related for the gear head in all of us

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Re: TriniGT's Project R32 GTR - Fuel Setup On The Way!!!

Postby TriniGT » February 8th, 2015, 9:30 pm

Well a lot of small stuff. I got a little time today and removed the engine from the engine stand to install the clutch, bit the bullet and cleaned up the OS triple disc setup and then installed the flywheel, torqued to 146ftlbs and then installed the clutch discs in the proper order with staggered plate fitments. Lightly bolted the front pressure plate for now until I get an alignment tool for the discs. I am still going to order a set of replacements discs and plates for the OS twin setup I have in the event that the triple is too aggressive.

Also torqued down the STi crank damper, 150 ftlbs and then a power handle and a long pipe to give it an added 20* turn, should do the trick. Belts will be added and covers fitted and then I need to space the front turbo oil return fitting and run a couple rubber hoses and then fit some sump covers. Next week I will bring the gearbox to the front and clean it up and fit it to the engine so that I can look at dropping in the engine.

Hoping for an easy install.

Picasso
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Picasso » February 11th, 2015, 7:45 am

TriniGT wrote:Well a lot of small stuff. I got a little time today and removed the engine from the engine stand to install the clutch, bit the bullet and cleaned up the OS triple disc setup and then installed the flywheel, torqued to 146ftlbs and then installed the clutch discs in the proper order with staggered plate fitments. Lightly bolted the front pressure plate for now until I get an alignment tool for the discs. I am still going to order a set of replacements discs and plates for the OS twin setup I have in the event that the triple is too aggressive.

Also torqued down the STi crank damper, 150 ftlbs and then a power handle and a long pipe to give it an added 20* turn, should do the trick. Belts will be added and covers fitted and then I need to space the front turbo oil return fitting and run a couple rubber hoses and then fit some sump covers. Next week I will bring the gearbox to the front and clean it up and fit it to the engine so that I can look at dropping in the engine.

Hoping for an easy install.

Lard that's a list!! :lol:

In time it all will be done. I'm almost finished also :lol:

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » March 5th, 2015, 11:13 pm

Some progress, engine is in!!! Thanks to Kirt and Conrad for the help otherwise it wouldn't have been possible. Have much to do but a lot less now, motivation is definitely high.

Fitting it anyway possible, wasn't too bad for some first-timers,
Fitment approved,
In for the last time hopefully,
Changed the fuel rail to a Greddy I got in auction, will see if it is good enough, thinking to remove and strip and anodize purple or put black.
Matches with the 50mm ITBs though,
Turbo side,
Trying to get some KTS pulleys and anodize them purple as well,
BTW, I just fitted the front and cam covers for fitment in the engine bay. I will remove and install the painted ones once they are complete to make the engine bay look a little newer.

TurboSingh12
Riding on 16's

Postby TurboSingh12 » March 6th, 2015, 6:48 am

Getting the proper angles and dip must be precise for installs due to the size of the box :lol: What i did was put the engine under the car lift it then bolted the crossmember,made life alot easier.As we all know Rb's aint exactly light :lol:

Mr. Red Sleeper
30 pounds of Boost

Postby Mr. Red Sleeper » March 6th, 2015, 7:28 am

Whats the average price these days of an RB26 & gearbox complete with ecu , etc.?

TurboSingh12
Riding on 16's

Postby TurboSingh12 » March 6th, 2015, 8:17 am

Mr. Red Sleeper wrote:Whats the average price these days of an RB26 & gearbox complete with ecu , etc.?

Around 18k and up depending on model and upgrades.

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » March 23rd, 2015, 8:45 pm

So got some time this weekend gone to fit the intercooler and front bumper support bar and also my HKS intercooler piping kit. After speaking with the tuner he said I can remove the BOV recirculating setup as the AEM will run map sensor so proper idle. A couple snaps but don't think installing these pipes is an easy task, they are exact so getting the hoses in and clamped is a little intricate.
Exhaust side,
Hotside piping pre-recirculation removal,
Coldside Piping,
Trust Four Core Final Installation,
Intake Manifold Coldside Piping, a real beyotch to fit
THE beyotch!!!,
Intake Side done,
BOV Recirculation Setup removed,
Piping done, still have to sort the turbo intake pipes
Homemade Jap MAFless pipes, just to retrofit them now

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » March 23rd, 2015, 9:06 pm

Stuff still outstanding,
1. Fit -6AN one-way valves and finish fuel plumbing, install regulator as well
2. Finish intake filter piping
3. Install front turbo oil return pipe spacer and button-up the underneath
4. Install Fuel Swirl tank setup in the trunk
5. Install Trust Oil Filter and Cooler kit
6. Install catchcan and complete braided lines for both valve covers and the return to the sump
7. Install braided clutch line and bleed
8. Drill front caliper mounting holes to 14mm and install R34 GTR front calipers and bleed all brakes
9. Install downpipe
10. Install Defi sensors and wire control unit
11. Wire music, Boost Controller, Timer and other miscellaneous electronics
12. Install new cage
13. Install new diffuser front and rear
14. Install HKS exhaust
15. Fill all fluids
15. Final check and prime engine and check for leaks and remove CAS connector and tumble
16. Check for leaks and then connect CAS and hopefully start

Some other things like headlights and exterior stuff but a lot of small thing to tie up but seeing the piping completed it motivates me to move forward. I have to get the quarter glasses removed and the areas prepared for paint and get the other small things like ganador mirrors, fenders, front bumper and skirting touched-up. Hoping to have it mostly completed in the next month or so once time permits. Only really have time on Sundays and some Saturdays.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » March 23rd, 2015, 9:58 pm

beautiful progress, you're my gawddamn hero

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » March 24th, 2015, 9:04 pm

It doesn't look like much was done but it takes time and money to plan and purchase the parts. I don't have lots contrary to what others may think but I like expensive quality stuff, so I purchase them second-hand where I can cut some cost, ghetto JDM I guess. Hopefully it gets its first breath in Triniland sometime soon.

Bezman
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby Bezman » April 1st, 2015, 5:21 pm

Ppl don't respect the time and money that goes into projects bro..
They just wanna know how much it cost.. First question they ask...

moti
punchin NOS

Postby moti » April 2nd, 2015, 10:16 am

Bezman wrote:Ppl don't respect the time and money that goes into projects bro..
They just wanna know how much it cost.. First question they ask...

This!
That's why I no longer have any projects up on Tuner, but even in person when they see you with the car its the same response.

Nice progress TriniGT

JDM_GUY
Riding on 17's

Postby JDM_GUY » April 4th, 2015, 11:07 am

You can never get back project money. I wish I could get extra cash to do some projects.

TurboSingh12
Riding on 16's

Postby TurboSingh12 » April 8th, 2015, 10:04 am

JDM_GUY wrote:You can never get back project money. I wish I could get extra cash to do some projects.

That's why projects are not made to sell,unless is someone who really appreciates it.

GTR Fever
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby GTR Fever » April 8th, 2015, 11:27 am

Jason this has to be one of the most detailed local builds I've seen. Hope the car sees Trinidad road soon!

Passed up on your side over the long weekend, should've called. Will call next time I'm passing up :)

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » April 10th, 2015, 9:35 am

Thanks fellas, it does take a lot of time and patience and money. Anyway, more updates, took some pics over the last two weeks and never uploaded them.

Some small progress, my HKS underbraces,
Fitted the two rear braces,
Front underbrace, fits between chassis rails and bolts to the rear of the front crossmember by the steering rack,
The last brace will be fitted when I finish the interior as it bolts to the seat bolts I think,
Modifying powersteering pump, these pumps in the R32 control both steering racks, front and rear hicas. In order to mod them for just the front after removing the hicas you need to open it up and remove the vanes used to pump fluid for the rear outlet. Another method is to remove the rear section entirely and trim the center shaft, I opted for the easier option and also afterwhich I will need to blank the rear outlet with a bolt and copper washer.
Vanes removed,
Vanes,
SO the original mafless intake pipes I have cannot work as they should because the HKS piping is routed differently making them impossible to pass. It now requires me to relocate the powersteerig reservoir and get some other pipes for the job. I found an old pipe for one side that although it has taken a beating can be used because the route is perfect and the size is good, needed a good polish even though it will be mostly hidden so out came some wet sandpaper and some autsol to see what can happen.
Like I said the pipe is not the best but functional,
With the intake filter on it wasn't too bad,
Installed,
Throttle bracket, lightly sanded and just cleared,
Charcoal Canister Bracket to be used for powersteering reservoir, more than likely a Billion tank
Nismo Slave Cylinder install with HPI braided clutch line, loop back was removed and hardline bent back,
Biggest Downpipe I could find out of my stash of four to matchup against my HKS twin collectors,

GTR Fever
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby GTR Fever » April 10th, 2015, 1:30 pm

Love the progress on this!

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » April 10th, 2015, 9:33 pm

So did some cleaning up and discovered a pair of R34 GTR knuckles, I stripped them and cleaned them and what do you know they are a perfect fit for the R32, identical besides the caliper bolt size.

I stripped them and cleaned and added the Earles braided front line and all that is needed now are the caliper hardlines.
GTR R34 to the right
Cleaned and painted the front driveshaft,
Front Bembo Rotor and calipers installed,

dok_tec
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby dok_tec » April 11th, 2015, 7:45 am

good stuff

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » April 13th, 2015, 11:05 pm

So I decided to get some nagging things completed today, first on the agenda was the -6AN return on the fuel rail, I took it along with the -8AN to the machine shop and they made quick work of it for $30.00.
Next thing I tackled was fitting the clear cam cover, it entailed removing the waterpump pulley and of course the CAS and original cover, looks much better.
CAS Fitted,
Next on the agenda was tackling the brakes, I temporarily fitted the old brake pads, I will need to order some new front rotors and brake pads for all around but wanted to bleed these brakes for now. I first removed all the caliper bleed nipples and cleared them, half of which were clogged and rusted, got that all done. Then with my trusty speed bleeder and my pardner in crime Kirt we set about to bleed this system. After a couple of minutes of nothing happening and no brakefluid slushing around in the reservoir the plan was to troubleshoot. Kirt's first question, did you bench bleed the cylinder, how could I forget this, we fitted some mocked up hardlines that route from the brakeline outlet back into the reservoir and started bleeding, nothing again.

Next move was to remove the cylinder entirely which required some fiddling and removal of some other stuff and then we manually tried bleeding the cylinder with a screwdriver and what do you know it started bleeding, quickly refitted it and buttoned up everything and continued the bleeding process which is furthest from the cylinder to the closest. Using the speed bleeder at this point made the process so much quicker, fitted them to each of the two nipples per caliper and watched all the old brakefluid and rust and dirt flush out as well as bubbles and in a matter of 15 minutes it was all completed. The brakes are rock solid and pedal is firm, I will need to reinforce the pedal like a nismo one I figure as it is pretty hard, the cusco brake stopper will help as well with the firewall flexing.

Tomorrow I want to try and finish the front turbo oil return and bleed the clutch pedal and try and sort out the oil cooler fitment and pickup an oil pump to fill the diffs, transfer case and whatnot from underneath. I also need to figure out how to fit the replacement oil dipstick tube with the engine in the bay, it has been a nightmare thus far, wish me luck as after tomorrow it will be back to sundays to get this job completed.

DVSTT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby DVSTT » April 14th, 2015, 9:57 am

You're making nice progress with the car. Engine bay is coming along nicely!

R. Mutt
Shifting into 6th
Location: on the side of the road maptracing and reflashing the ecu

Postby R. Mutt » April 14th, 2015, 8:09 pm

Any plans to relieve crankcase pressure/ring blow by?

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » April 14th, 2015, 9:39 pm

Many do the rear head to sump setup but for a good engine it should not be needed. I am simply running from the rear of the cam covers to the catchcan and then from the catchcan to the sump. I have been speaking with Rob from RIPS on it and he guarantees it will be fine.

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » April 18th, 2015, 9:34 pm

Clutch bled, pedal feels like a stock setup, and this is an OS Giken triple disc, thought it would feels a bit stiffer, I guess the booster on the master cylinder helps a lot with the pedal feel. Also was lucky to be able to get the dipstick tube fitted with the help of a friend. Now I need to get the oil cooler fitted and the injectors repinned for the new connectors and then run the catchcan lines to the cam covers and the sump and then I should be able to fill it with oil. Plan is to the fill the engine with 50 body oil and check for some leaks and then drain it without starting as I just want to check for leaks and also let it run through the galleries and bring down any foreign objects that may have become lodged over time.

I will fit radiator and clutch fan and swirl tank setup and get cracking on my fuel setup. Slow and steady, hopefully have some pictures tomorrow after a hard days work.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » April 19th, 2015, 7:56 am

wont a thinner oil help to find leaks?

also i dont know if i missed it but what ecu you going with?

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » April 19th, 2015, 8:31 am

Hmmm actually good idea I was just thinking cheaper but yes you're right. I will be using and AEM Series II ecu with map sensor for my management.

GTR Fever
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby GTR Fever » April 19th, 2015, 2:07 pm

Yeah Jason, 10w30 will be better at helping find the leaks and will flow through the engine better.

R. Mutt
Shifting into 6th
Location: on the side of the road maptracing and reflashing the ecu

Postby R. Mutt » April 23rd, 2015, 5:58 pm

TriniGT wrote:Many do the rear head to sump setup but for a good engine it should not be needed. I am simply running from the rear of the cam covers to the catchcan and then from the catchcan to the sump. I have been speaking with Rob from RIPS on it and he guarantees it will be fine.

Rob from RIPS....can't get better than that. :twisted:

TriniGT
punchin NOS

Postby TriniGT » April 28th, 2015, 8:48 pm

Not much done this weekend, only was able to fit the ARC front stabalizer bar and tidy up and fit the front Z-tune style fenders. It's a bit wild but for me I want to be different so I hope the colour does make it too tame. I was actually thinking of repainting the car in white.
I have also fitted some black background headlights that I picked up from Navin in the bamboo. I need to realign the front bumper support bar so that the front bumper will fit properly under the headlights once all completed I need to start painting everything over and getting the car buttoned up. The headlights are not in the best condition so they will need opening and cleaning and the back plastic change as some parts are cracked, I will redo it all and then seal again with hopefully a new looking pair.

Richard Marshall
Riding on 17's

Postby Richard Marshall » May 5th, 2015, 4:14 pm

Question. How much time and money you put into this? Reason why I ask, I have a project I'm planning to undergo. Could use advice/insight. Thanks.

Advertisement

Return to “The Car Park”